HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garrioch: No buyouts for Ottawa, Prusek rumored to Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 07:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Garrioch: No buyouts for Ottawa, Prusek rumored to Montreal

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...47714-sun.html

Quote:
While Jason Spezza, Mike Fisher, Marian Hossa, Martin Havlat, Chris Neil, Anton Volchenkov, Antoine Vermette and Josh Langfeld will all receive offers, the future of local product Todd White is in doubt.

There's a lot of guys who can play in Ottawa, Todd White isn't necessarily one of them.

Quote:
Backup goalie Martin Prusek, who is scheduled to make $710,600, also needs a qualifying offer. It's expected he'll get one, but he will likely be dealt so Ottawa can promote Ray Emery from Binghamton.

Sources say the Canadiens are looking for a backup and are interested in Prusek because Cristobal Huet -- acquired from the Kings last summer -- is out until January with torn ligaments in his knee.

"I would think Ray Emery is going to get a chance to push for the No. 1 job in training camp. Dominik Hasek is going to be the No. 1, but Emery is probably going to get as much of a chance to play in the exhibition season as Hasek," said Muckler.
I'd be a bit weary of doing this right away, but then again I didn't see Emery all season. Hasek is 40 years old, he's going to get hurt, if I was Ottawa I don't know if I want the Plan B to be a rookie.

Quote:
The Senators also have decisions to make on unrestricted free-agents Peter Bondra and Curtis Leschyshyn. Muckler, who told the Sun last week he won't buy out any player currently under contract to the team, said he will speak with both to find out what their plans are for next season.
With a cap and no buyouts, I would think they're both out.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Rowley Birkin

vCash: 500
Bondra is out for sure.

If i were the Sens, i would keep Prusek. I liked both him and Lalime, and i think Hasek/Emery is a step backwards for them.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
We don't really need Prusek since i think Danis would be ready to see a bit of NHL action, but then again, allowing Danis to get lots of minutes in Hamilton instead of sitting to back-up Theodore is probably what's best for him.

Anyway, we'll see I guess.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:58 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
We don't really need Prusek since i think Danis would be ready to see a bit of NHL action, but then again, allowing Danis to get lots of minutes in Hamilton instead of sitting to back-up Theodore is probably what's best for him.

Anyway, we'll see I guess.
Prusek would make sense for Montreal over Danis, who really could use a second season in the AHL. I'm also pulling for Emery to at least make the backup position in Ottawa. Having him challenging for #1 might seem a bit precarious if I were John Muckler.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Huet is apparently going to miss a month or two, but certainly will be back by January. I think we can survive with Danis for 5 starts or so. If Huet is truly out until January, then I'd think it is likely they try and find a cheap goalie. But with so many UFA's out there, might as well sign one instead of dealing an asset or two for Prusek.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:38 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Huet is apparently going to miss a month or two, but certainly will be back by January. I think we can survive with Danis for 5 starts or so. If Huet is truly out until January, then I'd think it is likely they try and find a cheap goalie. But with so many UFA's out there, might as well sign one instead of dealing an asset or two for Prusek.
I doubt the price is that high for Prusek. A mid-round pick might even do it.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:42 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
The schedule will be more compact this season to accomodate the Olympics. There will likely be a few extra back to backs or 3 games in 4 nights. What might have been 5 games in a normal season could be about 8 games and if Danis stumbles the Habs could be in trouble. You cannot afford to throw 8-10 games away in what should be a tight Eastern conference. If Prusek isn't qualified and can be had cheap on a 1 year deal, this would make a lot of sense for Montreal.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:45 AM
boomboom

Prusek - If he is going to Mtl. would Ottawa be whiling to deal Neil with him?
Would be nice to get Neil since he has no contract yet...

Old
07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Douggy

Prusek is probably a good fit for a team with an established starter, and a young guy who will be stuck between the bench and the AHL. That way, they young guy can stay in the AHL, see some ice, and come up from time to time.

Teams I'm thinking of are Toronto (with Telqvist), Vancouver (with Auld), and Atlanta (with Lehtonen).

I'm sure there are other teams, and I'm also sure Atlanta fans are expecting to see Kari starting for them this year, so maybe Atlanta is a bad example.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:55 AM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Prusek is probably a good fit for a team with an established starter, and a young guy who will be stuck between the bench and the AHL. That way, they young guy can stay in the AHL, see some ice, and come up from time to time.

Teams I'm thinking of are Toronto (with Telqvist), Vancouver (with Auld), and Atlanta (with Lehtonen).

I'm sure there are other teams, and I'm also sure Atlanta fans are expecting to see Kari starting for them this year, so maybe Atlanta is a bad example.
if Turek does not return Prusek would be ideal for Calgary

Old
07-26-2005, 09:59 AM
brucegarrioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
if Turek does not return Prusek would be ideal for Calgary
C'mon down Stephane Yelle!

Old
07-26-2005, 10:00 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy

Auld is not really in that category... he's got enough experience at the AHL level, that he will get a full season as a backup in Vancouver... plus he's played in the NHL already, including the playoffs last year.... besides, Auld now needs waiver protection, so if we pick up Prusek, we basically lose Auld, which doesn't make sense.

I think Atlanta is also not a good spot for him... Lehtonen is more than ready for the NHL - he proved that last year in the AHL, and even during his few starts already in the NHL. Toronto, I agree. With Belfour 40 now (and 41 by the time the playoffs come around) and Tellqvist, who hasn't exactly developed to plan yet, he's a good option there.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Chileiceman

Or Colorado. Anything except Sauve.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
If I'm Calgary I say "good-bye and thanks for all the fish" to Roman "European Vacation" Turek and trade for Prusek to back up the Kipper.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:14 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
If I'm Calgary I say "good-bye and thanks for all the fish" to Roman "European Vacation" Turek and trade for Prusek to back up the Kipper.
considering that Turek restructured his contract to remain with the Flames, I would say that he's a pretty good team player that has accepted his backup role, and a good guy to have back.

Why trade an asset for a guy like Prusek, when you have Turek there - who's already comfortable with the team, and has made the move to show his commitment to stay there by taking a paycut, instead of hitting UFA status?

There are some question marks that he might not come back to the NHL... but if he does, I think Calgary would be happy to have him back in his new role.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
considering that Turek restructured his contract to remain with the Flames, I would say that he's a pretty good team player that has accepted his backup role, and a good guy to have back.

Why trade an asset for a guy like Prusek, when you have Turek there - who's already comfortable with the team, and has made the move to show his commitment to stay there by taking a paycut, instead of hitting UFA status?

There are some question marks that he might not come back to the NHL... but if he does, I think Calgary would be happy to have him back in his new role.
Not much of a Calgary fan are you?? The fans "dislike" Turek....pretty much across the board. They would be happy to have Prusek and not Turek.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Not much of a Calgary fan are you??
Considering his name is "nuckfan in TO", that's a pretty safe assumption.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:50 AM
looooob

Quote:
Not much of a Calgary fan are you?? The fans "dislike" Turek....pretty much across the board. They would be happy to have Prusek and not Turek.
actually I wouldn't say the fans dislike Turek across the board

the fans did dislike him as

a) the starter
b) the backup making over 3 million dollars

as a backup in the low 1s which is I think where we are now...he's acceptable. Would Prusek be better? perhaps yes, but if that means having to find away to buyout Turek plus surrender assets to get Prusek the answer is no

now if Turek decides to stay in CZE...different story

Old
07-26-2005, 12:01 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
actually I wouldn't say the fans dislike Turek across the board

the fans did dislike him as

a) the starter
b) the backup making over 3 million dollars

as a backup in the low 1s which is I think where we are now...he's acceptable. Would Prusek be better? perhaps yes, but if that means having to find away to buyout Turek plus surrender assets to get Prusek the answer is no

now if Turek decides to stay in CZE...different story
my points exactly... I think everyone knows I'm not a Calgary fan... but I've read enough posts about how much more they are supporting him after the restructuring of his contract - and they should.

He's a solid backup, and any player that could have just as easily forced a buyout, or refused to renegotiate, but instead took less money to stay with a franchise, in a role he's more than adequate at, should get respect from their fans.

Closed Thread