HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Alpine

vCash: 500
This was posted on the Wildcats site Feb 21.
Matt speaks about his dad towards the end of the interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Hcs4BtMtA

Old
02-28-2011, 10:46 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Sorry...there are called Academic Scholarships...given out by coaches to atheletes...a rose by another name...Snipeshow and squirrel would not qualify...not university material.
other than the fact i got my BA in crim from STU in 09, im pretty sure I qualify for university tough guy

Old
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
other than the fact i got my BA in crim from STU in 09, im pretty sure I qualify for university tough guy
Hey I am not a tough guy. Not certain where you got that. Find a spot where I started saying unkind things first. I quoted what I know to be facts and that threatens you guys for some reason. People are scared of the money talk. So in keeping in the tradition of what you started, tough guy, so you have a degree in Crim....you workin drive thru window or counter?

Old
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Rob

Take it private messaging guys.

With regard to the topic at hand I would have thought the best place for Eagles would have been to say behind the bench. Recruiting seemed to be their biggest problem. Not underachieving on the ice.

I guess the hope is that he will be able to focus more on recruitment.

Old
03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Hey I am not a tough guy. Not certain where you got that. Find a spot where I started saying unkind things first. I quoted what I know to be facts and that threatens you guys for some reason. People are scared of the money talk. So in keeping in the tradition of what you started, tough guy, so you have a degree in Crim....you workin drive thru window or counter?
Snipeshow, just ignore the chick. She adds nothing, never has. With comments like the ones above you know for sure it is a Squirrel. Just ignore it.

Old
03-01-2011, 06:33 PM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Snipeshow, just ignore the chick. She adds nothing, never has. With comments like the ones above you know for sure it is a Squirrel. Just ignore it.
Yes. This girl knows of what she speaks, so you had better ignore me.
I do feel sorry for Mike. Small market team, beginning coach. Not many players bring to the pro game what he did; work hard every day and assume nothing. I think the issue would be that he came into the coaching scene with no support as AD or nurturing for his coaching growth. He lived and died every game and every player. As the only varsity coach at the school who played a sport at a high level he would get little support. I think Jen had a good handle on the scene at STU and might have saved his situation. For his sake I hope he makes a good AD and learns that role. I think we need to fully support him. I hope they find a coach who has a strong reputation as a coach. Coolen might have that, but outside him, I think we need to leave the city to look.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:22 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
With regard to the topic at hand I would have thought the best place for Eagles would have been to say behind the bench. Recruiting seemed to be their biggest problem. Not underachieving on the ice.

I guess the hope is that he will be able to focus more on recruitment.
I think he is better suited as the A.D. The reason being is that the coach does the recruiting and as you so correctly pointed out, that is their biggest problem. Tommy Coolen was a great recruiter at Acadia; possibly not the best coach in the league.
STU needs a Trevor Stienburg type of guy who knows the game and can recruit players to a less than desireable situation. When he came to SMU, the program was in shambles. He brought in a bunch of retreads from Jr A and has not had a losing season since. Whoever you guys get, I hope he gets the support he needs from the administration.

Old
03-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Island Husky

Time to beat my dead horse again on this topic, The support (read Money and Resources) will be the ultimate factor; The coach's ability to draw it and persuade administration for more will be the deciding factor.There have been plenty of guys without the persona of Coolen, Steinburg, MacDougall, or Burns that have experienced recruiting success, because of their ability to persuade people to open their pockets, either theirs alone or theirs to convince someone else to do it for them. It is a real talent, some have it, some very successful people nevertheless, do not. We had a very very colorful coach at St Mary's before, full of talent, full of vigor, full of technical saavy, but he had the hardest time doing that. BTW an ex NHL'er too. I have no doubt Eagles found(finds?) that difficult judging by the descriptions of his character. In fact I wish I could talk. Personally, I think Darrel Young and Norm McCauley were the best recruiters, for the reasons AUS Fan has mentioned. Norm could not ask for more, refused to, he consistently picked up other team's cast offs and went after Junior B and Junior A guys. We had 2 major junior recruits in his four years. ( Granted this was long before the Q's presence in Atlantic Canada too ) We missed the playoffs 2 years in a row, then finished solidly in third behind Dal and Acadia over the next two. Young, at Dal could work wonders with his players, they were much better having gone there, guys lijke Marc Warner, Keifer House. Still, I agree with STU Thommie, you try to stay positive and encouraging, it is difficult to remain so after seven years. Most have another trait that compels them out after four when the going was rough, makes it easier on all of us.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
cookiecutter

A couple of good articles in the papers. Very readable. I am slightly concerned that already the press seems to be mentioning, perhaps even promoting, Eric Bizz. I think the papers need to report the news and not determine it. If he is the best candidate then let him go quietly to the interviews the same as everyone else.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:31 PM
TYayo

Ted Nolan

Old
03-02-2011, 05:01 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
A couple of good articles in the papers. Very readable. I am slightly concerned that already the press seems to be mentioning, perhaps even promoting, Eric Bizz. I think the papers need to report the news and not determine it. If he is the best candidate then let him go quietly to the interviews the same as everyone else.
No need to be concerned CC. Not promoting Bissonnette over anyone else...simply reporting that a former Tommie, an assistant on the current coaching staff, a guy who has coached successfully at several levels locally, is interested in the opportunity.
If you go back through my comments on this board, I've suggested they open up the process and get the best candidate, and in the story this morning, we asked Bissonnette directly if it bothers him that they're opening up the process rather than simply handing him the job, which would be the easiest and most expedient thing to do.
We all want what Tommies supporters want -- the best guy in place to get the team back on track as quickly as possible.

Old
03-03-2011, 10:53 AM
The Dangla

Has anyone heard anything about this young NCAA Coach in Chicago?

Old
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangla View Post
Has anyone heard anything about this young NCAA Coach in Chicago?
Not in the STU thread.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
forecheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
No need to be concerned CC. Not promoting Bissonnette over anyone else...simply reporting that a former Tommie, an assistant on the current coaching staff, a guy who has coached successfully at several levels locally, is interested in the opportunity.
If you go back through my comments on this board, I've suggested they open up the process and get the best candidate, and in the story this morning, we asked Bissonnette directly if it bothers him that they're opening up the process rather than simply handing him the job, which would be the easiest and most expedient thing to do.
We all want what Tommies supporters want -- the best guy in place to get the team back on track as quickly as possible.
You gave this candidate a half page article last year for his other "dream job" ( JRA Coaching Gig ).Obviously he has used you twice to promote his career coaching interests. You may not be coming out and promoting him , but your certainly giving him your forum to advertise himself for these positions.

That said

Old
03-03-2011, 02:09 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck View Post
You gave this candidate a half page article last year for his other "dream job" ( JRA Coaching Gig ).Obviously he has used you twice to promote his career coaching interests. You may not be coming out and promoting him , but your certainly giving him your forum to advertise himself for these positions.

That said
I called him. He didn't call me. He doesn't need me as a "forum to advertise for these positions. " Those organizations know of his interest. It's not like they pick up the paper and say "Oh yeah...Eric Bissonnette!"
He was and is a logical candidate for both positions. It simply gets on the record that he's in town and he's interested. They're going to hire whoever they want...a newspaper story suggesting he's interested in the job isn't going to influence those who make the hire one way or another.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
The Dangla

AUS

Check out this link, is he applying? Looks like a fit....

http://www.goforesters.com, find the hockey and see the head coach.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
The Dangla

AUS....

The guy I was talking about is coaching at Lake Forest in the NCAA, he went to STU. His name is in the ring.

Old
03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangla View Post
AUS....

The guy I was talking about is coaching at Lake Forest in the NCAA, he went to STU. His name is in the ring.
Nice find Dangla.
Seamus Gregory, BA ‘04
Chicago, Illinois
Hometown: Harbour Grace, NL
Major: History
Profession: Hockey Coach

Seamus Gregory, BA ‘04, is living the dream. His job as assistant coach and head recruiter for a college hockey team blends his two passions - teaching and hockey.

“I’ve always wanted to be involved in something educational ever since I was a little boy,” the St. Thomas University alumnus says. “I wanted to be a gym teacher. That was my ultimate goal if I didn’t make the NHL.”

As he got older, though, his dream changed. He now hopes to coach professional hockey.

His coaching career began at a Catholic high school in Lynn, Massachusetts. He taught and coached at St. Mary’s High School for five years and was then offered a position on the coaching staff at Lake Forest College, a small liberal arts college in Illinois.

“Coaching is the right career option for me. I love the game. And I like working with people. I also like to learn new things every day and the game changes every day. That’s a big thing for me.”

He says his education at St. Thomas University helped him excel as a coach.

“Going to a liberal arts school gives you new avenues and different ways of interacting with people. STU helped me mature as a person. It has helped me succeed as a coach.”

He says St. Thomas University’s small community sets the school apart from others.

“St. Thomas offers something that other universities can’t. It’s not every day that you can walk into the Registrar’s office and ask for a meeting, or go into the residence hall and see your residence co-ordinator, or get to know the Tim Horton’s lady in the student union because she makes your coffee the same way every morning.”

Students are not just numbers at St. Thomas, he says. They’re not just people paying tuition. At St. Thomas, he says, students are recognized for who they are and are encouraged to explore the different avenues the university has to offer.

“St. Thomas is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. It gave me a chance to succeed, and without St. Thomas, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

http://w4.stu.ca/stu/future_students...n/stories.aspx

Last edited by STUTOMMIES: 03-03-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add source link, whoops
Old
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
gleanerguy

Good find. That's why it's a good strategy to open it up and why a good cross section of a committee is a good thing. I've also heard Pat Powers, the assistant at Western, is indeed interested. No doubt there are others.

Old
03-03-2011, 10:39 PM
The Dangla

I think the kid from Chicago is for real, they just put a kid in the AHL.

http://www.goforesters.com/sports/mi...seamus_gregory

Just a thought, the kid is connected with a lot of powerful alum.

Old
03-04-2011, 05:05 AM
cookiecutter

I thought some would agree with me on the Gleaner deal as being promotional. But I am not going to war with someone who buys ink by the gallon.
I think we need to stick together on this and find a fit that brings hockey back to STU. Perhaps Mike should have taken the coach job, stayed as AD and simply hired a recruiter? he knows the games, players love him, and he appears to have competency as an AD. Other than that go Acadia; Go home UNB

Old
03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
TYayo

Quote:
I thought some would agree with me on the Gleaner deal as being promotional. But I am not going to war with someone who buys ink by the gallon.
I think we need to stick together on this and find a fit that brings hockey back to STU. Perhaps Mike should have taken the coach job, stayed as AD and simply hired a recruiter? he knows the games, players love him, and he appears to have competency as an AD. Other than that go Acadia; Go home UNB
don't know about that statement

Old
03-05-2011, 10:09 AM
gulag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
bizz does not have the background needed for this job.i think they would be short changing themselves.besides he would have to take out his earrings...lol

Old
03-05-2011, 10:57 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
don't know about that statement
look up some quotes from some of the graduating players and some current players about Mike. Some dont, i agree with you there, but some do.

Old
03-05-2011, 04:43 PM
austrooper

Quote:
it's not a promotional plug for eric.......he's the guy in town, the guy who was a part of mike's staff, the guy who played for the tommies for 5 years.........considering all of those factors, his candidancy deserves more attention than some of the others who are living outside of the area....nowhere did the article promote bissonnette as the best candidate....he's the guy already there, that's the key element.....stu needs to examine any and all candidates and make a decision: do they want a young guy to build and perhaps use the job as a stepping-stone, such as mike johnston when he came to unb as a young guy in 1990 and helped build the foundation for unb's success since then, or do they go with a more recognizable name that has appeal to the alumni and tommies support group and might be inclined to stay with the program for a long time....regardless, you need a good recruiter with solid contacts...the alumni and support group needs to buy into it as well......

Closed Thread