HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild 3 - Rangers 1

View Poll Results: Best Player Tonight?
Sean Avery 15 33.33%
Derek Stepan 10 22.22%
Other 20 44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-04-2011, 07:29 AM
rody

vCash: 500
totally blame the coaching staff for our problems on the pp. we have good d to man the points. stop putting forwards back there. can't they see when Danny and Stalsy are out they get lots of chances because they make good plays and can keep it in. Go with the forwards that are battling.
and Avery deserves more icetime.
Team has to use the points more.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:40 AM
AJRanger

Fell asleep and missed the game, seems I didn't miss much. Should I bother tonight?

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
2011 hockey. Can we go back to the 1980's when every shot wasn't blocked?When sticks weren't in the passing lanes. Jari Kurri or Mike Gartner would gather speed coming out of their own zone and rip a 45 foot shot past the goalie who was not dressed like the Michelin Man. No back checking. No four players standing around in center ice. No five players collapsing below the hash-marks. It's hard enough to beat the goalie wearing a snow suit without having the other 5 players protecting the net. Kurri would have to get past 2 players in the neutral zone,not have the defenseman deflect his shot into the netting to beat the snow suit wearing goalie and worry about the other forward back checking to score a goal in the current NHL.

Most of the games are like.
No kidding. The NHL - and IIHF - wanted to open up the game by removing the touch'n'grab era. What happened? Teams and players felt the only way of defending themselves, was by positionally always being in the way instead, closing the game down even further.

So, the new rules didn't open up the game, it made it even more constricted and alot more boring to watch. I rather scream at the TV for a vicious uncalled hook, than yell at a bull crap call that wasn't a penalty and yawn at another blocked shot.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
2011 hockey. Can we go back to the 1980's when every shot wasn't blocked?When sticks weren't in the passing lanes. Jari Kurri or Mike Gartner would gather speed coming out of their own zone and rip a 45 foot shot past the goalie who was not dressed like the Michelin Man. No back checking. No four players standing around in center ice. No five players collapsing below the hash-marks. It's hard enough to beat the goalie wearing a snow suit without having the other 5 players protecting the net. Kurri would have to get past 2 players in the neutral zone,not have the defenseman deflect his shot into the netting to beat the snow suit wearing goalie and worry about the other forward back checking to score a goal in the current NHL.

Most of the games are like.
Goal scoring is down again, probably no 100-point scorer this season, teams like the Devils and Tampa using a trap to win again etc. Its hard to believe Joke Micheletti played in the 80s because to him, cycling the puck a lot and shooting pucks from the boards equates to "domination"

People can say what they want about the franchise, but the teams of the 60s, 70s 80s and 90s were fun to watch and has high-end talent. Sure the losing sucked, but we saw players bring us out of our seats.

This team is young. They're on the right track, but Sather has struck out big time in acquiring/developing star power. Gomez, Drury, Redden, Naslund, Gaborik etc. Bernie Nicholls and Mike Gartner made a young Rangers team instant contenders. They cost a lot. He rolled the dice on Gaborik, who is just adding new injuries to his resume instead of carrying the team the way Nicholls and Gartner did, or Sandstrom and Poddubny, or Messier or Jagr

If this mediocrity continues, then Next year should be the "blow it up" tipping point, meaning trading away guys like Dubinsky and Anisimov and MDZ. Look at the Blues. They thought all those picks would make them Cup contenders by now. Now they have to blow it up and start over.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Nachos are awesome.
They were so good man, but I couldn't finish them all and had to throw away about 1/4 of the plate. I just sat there staring at them for 5 minutes wishing my stomach would grow so I could eat the rest.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
We need to find a way to score more...we outplay our opponent for most of the game and lose a close game because of confidence...the team has lost all its confidence, but all it should take is string 2 or 3 wins in arow together where the team scores 3 goals at least...and then the confidence is back up, but it needs to start with one game, just one, and the one is tonight. The rangers have to realize that they have hit rock bottom and cannot go any lower so now it is time to just shoot, all the time, no passing! just shoot!!!! And McCabe better start netting goals to help this team.

Prospal...i like his attitude, I know he cares, but he is not noticeable at all out there. I think his knees are done, which is slowing us down. Last year it was redden and partially jokinen slowing us down before prospal came back we had something now it is like the whole team exhaled when he came back...and it CANNOT be that way!
Prospal is done and was done. He should never have been on this team, this year.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:55 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
If this mediocrity continues, then Next year should be the "blow it up" tipping point, meaning trading away guys like Dubinsky and Anisimov and MDZ. Look at the Blues. They thought all those picks would make them Cup contenders by now. Now they have to blow it up and start over.
Thank god some of you don't ru n the team. "alright rooks and soph's you have until uhh one more year to help out then we trade away everyone. Players that aren't topped out potential wise by the time they are sophmores clearly don't deserve to be in the league and will never win! Staal, Dubs, Cally, we appreciate that you are midway through your 20's and have no top flight scorer to help you but we feel we should get rid of you and have to find a top flight scorer only to realize we shoulda kept you guys to compliment him. oh and Girardi we don't care if you help shut down a teams best line with Staal for 4 months b/c you didn't do it without Staal for 5 games. Hmm ok what have we got left...Oh good more picks so we can restart the cycle all over again rather than buil;d on what we have!!! "

I mean seriously about 6 or 7 people have indicated lately we need to start blowing up the team, they'll never be able to win under any circumstances. ALL based on their rookie and soph seasons? REALLY!?

We waited all this time for an army of prospects and picks and now that they're here (Btw with more on the way) and we seem to have only one single piece missing on this team (a finisher) we wanna blow it all up!? And for what? MORE PROSPECTS!!!!???? In 2 or 3 years if this fails miserably than yea but jesus tap dancing christ...

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:21 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
We have been rather atrocious since that trade. If I did the math correctly our record has been 8-14-1 since that day which would have made our record 25-15-3 before Jan 10 2011. Its hard to lay the blame on that trade, or losing Rozy or bringing in Wolski. This team was real good up til the end of December. Thats when the wheels seemingly fell off and if they don't find their bearings soon, its gonna officially be a streak of 2 years out of the playoffs
Everytime someone suggested trading Rozy, I always said how it would hurt our blue-line, and team... a lot.

Maybe it's just coincedence that the team started to 'slump' once Rozy got injured. But it's a pretty big coincedence that since the start of January they have been slumping. Rozy has been out of the line-up and team since the start of January

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Good: Jim Ramsey
But seriously Calli...

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

14-19 at home...unacceptable!

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Is this opinion or fact?

His style has his strengths and weakness's.

How many 3rd liners in the league are good for 20G a season?

We were scoring a few months ago w/o a 1st line.

Who replaces Zucc? And why are they going to be more successful? Wolski-Stepan-Zucs has show flashes of brilliance, and a good amount of their generated scoring chances came from various plays by Zuccs. He hasn't been much of a defensive liability, hasn't taken nights, or even shifts off. He's engaging. How many games has Zucs played, btw . . . . ?

Ok. Who replaces Prospal?

What should the pairings be? You want Gilroy, or McCabe on the second-pairing? You want one of the the guys you're criticizing, playing more minutes? You want that second-pairing of McD and Sauer split? Or do you prefer Eminger replaces one of Gilroy/McCabe? Probably Gilroy, since he's incompetent defensively.

Both scenario's are destined for failure, imo. Our group of defenders are, just too young. Much like our team.

So the reason's were lost tonight were:
-Henrik's godmode form can be penetrated by an almighty deflection.
-Cally and Dubinsky are 3rd liners instead of 2nd liners.
-MAZ is too small and should be replaced by _______.
-Prospal sucks and should be replaced by _______.
-Torts, for pairing together McCabe and Gilroy.

You know, you probably shouldn't go to the game on Sunday. Definitely not. They'll get massacred. Or worse, they might win, and you'll prance around like a giddy schoolgirl with unrealstic expectations. This team is composed of kids. We've been banged up the entire season.

Instead of making some suggestions, you point out the obvious. An opinion tainted due to a bad loss, but that's what ultimately happens when you can't call a spade, a spade. This team has too many spare parts to function properly. Assuming they're going to run all all cylinders and outperform most teams from here on out is just a good way to let yourself down.
Seek and you shall receive. Here are my suggestions. And btw, the team is not entirely made up of kids. I would be happier if they were.

Hank - No suggestions. However, we and the coaching staff need to stop spouting the premise that we have an elite netminder and that he will heal the sins of the D. Because that is just not true. Because he is so deep there is a lot to shoot at and deflections (many that would be absorbed by the goalie on the edge of the crease) are redirected into our net. He is not the problem but more and more I don't think he's the solution either.

Not many third liners are good for 20g. But Dubi and Cally are getting first line minutes. If they were getting 3rd line minutes they would be 15 - 20. My point here is they mangle too many good scoring chances and if they were first or second line talents we'd as a team be scoring 1 - 2 goals more.

we have never been consistent scoring this year. We scored more two months ago but still not enough.

Zucc is easily replaceable; three goals, weak defensively? What I've seen which is concerning is that he cannot do the one thing I thought he would do well, finish good scoring opportunities. If he cannot finish then we need to move on. Christian Thomas would be a better option next year if the brass do not think that a quick promotion wouldn't hurt his development. Jeff Skinner did it.

Did you say who replace Prospal? I don't know...anyone with a pulse. Grachev, Kolarik, Weise...

The pairings should be either McD and Gilroy (if Gilroy has to play) or McCabe and Eminger. Taking your two worst (by a mile) defensive players and sticking them out there together 12 minutes a night is aweful. It has been proven that Staal, Girardi, McD and Sauer can handle 24+ minutes a night. If that is true you can go with primarily 5 D-men and 1/2 shift McCabe and Gilroy and never put them out there together. Again if Gilroy must play.

Now as for the schoolgirl reference; not sure how to address that without getting warned on the blog. I've had seasons for about 20 years in the blues. I stand behind the organization and am optimistic about the future. However, there are some things going on now which need fixing. And if you take personally due to a man love some of the criticism of the players,then you need to adjust your bra. And btw, Avery should play more.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:33 AM
mti79

I thought the Rangers played a very good game. Our problem is and has been that we cannot finish. Someone, somewhere, somehow has to start burying some pucks.... We would dominate for long stretches, Minnesota would get one chance and capitalize.

Their first goal came on what I think was a ticky tack call... EC got his stick up and Burns reacted (much like Cally did in the 1st period). Then when Burns didn't get the call, he kept reacting to it and the ref put his arm up... C'mon... call it or don't, but don't let the players influence the calls.

Their 2nd goal was a beauty. We just don't make plays like that. Someone on our D didn't react quick enough or the forward didn't rotate down and it was a beautiful pass and redirection.

The 3rd goal was a small breakdown and another one timer. Ideally, Hank robs that goal and we remain down 1 and it's a different game. He didn't, we couldn't recover and we lost.

Also, I know we've talked about it, but we really do make opposing goalies look like Hall of Famers. Bottom line is we need someone who can score. Whether it's Boyle keeping up his season or Dubinsky getting on a roll again or Gaborik getting healthy and finally doing something or someone down in Hartford who isn't afraid to shoot and/or has hands around the net.

I still think this team will sneak into the playoffs and I will root for that until they are mathematically eliminated. But we need to get our act together and it has to start tonight in Ottawa.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Everytime someone suggested trading Rozy, I always said how it would hurt our blue-line, and team... a lot.

Maybe it's just coincedence that the team started to 'slump' once Rozy got injured. But it's a pretty big coincedence that since the start of January they have been slumping. Rozy has been out of the line-up and team since the start of January
Just one problem he was injured and we were fine and defense isn;t the problem. it;'s a coincidence

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:28 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
I"m a Raiders/Rangers/Blue Jays/Raptors fan. Beat that.
I'm a Minnesota fan. I win.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Zucc is easily replaceable; three goals
You can't be serious with this.

The guy is a rookie, who came up mideason, has been playing his first year on North American ice, and because he has scored 3 goals, he's replaceable? Sorry if he doesn't turn into Marty St. Louis in his first game, but that doesn't turn him into some player you trade for the hell of it.