HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Coyotes - 3/3/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-04-2011, 04:44 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

vCash: 500
Wait a second..

Doan didn't score against the Kings?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see either goalie in net for Saturday. Quick got the first two wins against Vancouver this season.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:51 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio Bernier, Stoll Lead LA Kings To 1-0 Win Over Phoenix

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: Bernier, Stoll Lead LA Kings To 1-0 Win Over Phoenix

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:18 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Man, you can see how confident Lewis is with the puck, he just flies through people, I seriously think he's one of the fastest guys on the team. He'll eventually take over the #3 center role and I'm not complaining, he went from bust to being a nice compliment to our core. Kudos to management for being patient with him and not plugging him into a top 6 role where he would have a hard time adjusting to, and kudos to TM for also being patient, not really giving him games at the beginning of the season, Schenn was playing and Lewis was sitting and watching, the credit goes to Murray for giving the kid another chance. He's one of our main penalty killers and is fantastic at doing that too, atta boy trev

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

ye id like to see Lewis develop into a true shutdown centre, 1 that you always use in the playoffs vs the otehr teams top line

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Stoll has 18 goals now, he's 2 goals from having 20 and that would make 6 guys on our team with 20 goals

That's almost like having 3 guys who score 20 goals, but if all 3 of those guys were "bi-winners" ......they win here and they win there....

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Didn't see the whole game, but I saw the goal scored. Looks like it was a tough game, where the Kings didn't bring a whole lot a pressure looking at the shots. Still got the win, and the Coyotes all of a sudden are in a slump. The Kings are never going to open up enough space to feel comfortable, they just need to keep winning.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Clifford looked pretty good last night. Obviously he's still young and not used to playing this many games, but you can tell he's going to put it all together and kick all sorts of ass.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:46 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Didn't see the whole game, but I saw the goal scored. Looks like it was a tough game, where the Kings didn't bring a whole lot a pressure looking at the shots. Still got the win, and the Coyotes all of a sudden are in a slump. The Kings are never going to open up enough space to feel comfortable, they just need to keep winning.
Ain't that the truth. The only space that seems to be developing from 4th down is between 11 and 12.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:49 AM
SLang

Was at the game last night, so didn't see any of the GDT. Just ran through it a few minutes ago....

Seriously, some of you guys need to take a step back and a deep breath. While the game was 0-0 some of the posts read like it was 5-0 Phoenix. "Kings out of the playoffs", etc.

That was a "playoff" game in the regular season. Things are usually bad enough against Phoenix, but add in the playoff atmosphere and it was almost sure to be a low-scoring, 1 goal affair.

I loved it.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I brought my girlfriend to her first Kings game, she asked me if it was always this boring. Aside from the 3rd, that was a snoozefest.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:55 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

One question I have to ask before I get to the game, why in the world would a company make a remote that puts the DVR fast forward button RIGHT BELOW the live button. We were watching the game late, and were in the second period when I went to fast forward a commercial. My finger hit the FF button AND the live button and of COURSE the live button was the one that registered, skipping all the way to the 3rd with only a few moments left. SOOOO bummed. We ended up rewinding at least to the Kings goal. I kept the game on my DVR so I could watch it again today.

Now to the game:

I just have to say, I LOVED the 4th line tonight. They got quality minutes and were awesome. They were great defensively and I even saw Lewis drive to the net a few times. I'm a big Lewis fan!

I loved Penner's game, despite not 100% knowing his linemates, system, etc. He created SO much room for Kopitar it was insane. He was also the reason that Stoll goal went in, because his big butt was in Bryz's face.

On to Kopi, he had a BEAST of a game. He was so energized it was insanity. It's only a matter of time before the top line goes on a tear.

The top line...I'm glad to see Williams up there. The 2nd line wasn't really doing anything (Smyth-Stoll-Williams) and I always thought Willie would be amazing with Penner and Kopitar because he excels in the corners and on the perimeter.

Speaking of a Willie, Mitchell is a WARRIOR. Holy CRAP. That dude's face was insanity close up. I can't believe he came back into the game. He is the rock on this team, IMO.

Now on to the great part, Bernier. I hope all of you with little faith in him, who said that TM made the wrong choice in goal last night will now give the kid some credit. He comes up HUGE in big games, has most of his career. He was lights out, making the hard saves look like child's play. From the moment he made his first save in the 1st, I knew it was going to be a good game. He just had it in his eyes. He was out to prove to everyone that he can be a big time goalie. This was an important game, and could have easily gone to OT. The last 6 minutes, after the Kings got the goal, he just closed the door no matter the traffic or what was in front of him. He didn't even allow a rebound practically all night.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:59 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Who do we think is starting against vancouver? I'm psyched for that win already.
IMO, you have to play Bernier. How can you not? I know JQ is the #1, but when your goalie wins 1-0 in a huge game like last night, you HAVE to play him next game. I'll say this, if JB isn't in net on Saturday, I'll be pissed.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Omni Owl

1st was a wild bore. Trevor Lewis looked possessed.

Shout out to all the corpses in 110.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
First off, Lewis had a hell of a game. Penner definitely brings us something different. He's really smart with the puck. He made a few deceptive neutral zone passes to make the rush a little more dangerous. The line will start to click in a couple games, although I'm kinda wary of putting our 3 best offensive players on the same line.
Simmonds is one of our 3 best offensive players?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Simmonds is one of our 3 best offensive players?
He's talking about the third period with Penner-Kopitar-Williams. I have no problem with this line since our second line is full of 20 goal scorers if Murray can get it right:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson-Lewis

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
took420s

i only saw the 3rd, but really liked what i saw from Poni. was controlling it and cycling well, played some great D and had a couple punishing hits.

last few games i have watched it seems like he is doing a better job, not earning his contract scoring but still...finding a way to be effective in other ways.

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:10 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... The Kings did what they had to do. Bernier got a lot of help from the defense, but he did what he had to do, also.

I actually want the Kings to go back to Quick for the next game. He's still the number one, but it's getting closer and closer to the 1A/1B I wanted to see at the beginning of the season. Maybe they should alternate the rest of the way? They both need to be sharp, and the competition should only be good for both of them. Both guys are young, they're hungry, and they should thrive on the challenge.

I wasn't happy to see Simmonds pulled off of the top line. Might as well not even start him there if he's not even going to get a full game to gel with his linemates. It's also stupid to pull Williams off of the line where he's thrived all season long. Williams is having the best season he's had in five years because of the chemistry of that line - I have no idea why Murray can't or won't see that, but he certainly doesn't appreciate that. Very frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Glad the Kings won but people that was as boring as Hockey gets. If we lose 1-0 people would be all over how dull a game it was. But we win we praise Bernier and Penner who really did nothing.
... I'm not gonna go into this too much, but if you thought last night's game was boring, I'd suggest changing your view on the game or turning it off the rest of the way, because this is how it's going to be.

The Kings are a defense-first team, even more so than last season because they're not scoring as much as they did a year ago. This is how they're going to have to win games - with positioning, getting possession of the puck and breaking out of their zone properly no matter how long it takes to do so, blocking shots, clogging up the middle and keeping attackers to the outside, making liberal use of their F3 forward, etc etc. The Kings aren't going to win by making the game a track meet. They don't have the personnel to do that. Last night's game is likely going to be the model that Murray will use for the rest of the season in practices and video.

Penner didn't do "nothing", he used his size to screen off the goalie on the game winner, and that was the most critical play of the game. Bernier was the beneficiary of great defense, but he did make a couple of good saves to keep Phoenix off the board. There were a lot of good, subtle plays made last night that made the difference as well. It was a very impressive and intelligent performance, and a team effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
... Thank you for my new avatar these two guys are the true underdogs on this team. Under-appreciated, under-utilized, underrated. I naturally get drawn to players like that, and that's part of why they're my favorite players on the team.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
Thank you for my new avatar these two guys are the true underdogs on this team. Under-appreciated, under-utilized, underrated. I naturally get drawn to players like that, and that's part of why they're my favorite players on the team.
I hear ya.. I'm a huge Peter Harrold fan.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I brought my girlfriend to her first Kings game, she asked me if it was always this boring. Aside from the 3rd, that was a snoozefest.
I brought my girlfriend to the Wings game and she ended up trying to fight one of their fans. Opposite extremes, I guess.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
1st was a wild bore. Trevor Lewis looked possessed.

Shout out to all the corpses in 110.

Hah. I was in 110 and saw them as I was leaving the game.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Sounds like you need a new girlfriend...

I actually enjoyed the game.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I brought my girlfriend to the Wings game and she ended up trying to fight one of their fans.
"And kids, that's when I knew she was the one."

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
That's your own fault

If you are taking someone to their 1st game...do not take them to...

Phoenix
Minnesota
Nashville
New Jersey

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I brought my girlfriend to the Wings game and she ended up trying to fight one of their fans. Opposite extremes, I guess.
keeper

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Kind of hard to complain about an important win over our division rival, but as I watched the game on DVR (not in person) I kept thinking that someone needs to remind the Kings that they can shoot the puck more and the more they do, provided the shots are ON NET, the offense may take care of itself.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote