HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Quinn: good or bad guy?

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Larry Quinn: good or bad guy?

He's saved the franchise twice now by getting arena built and by being instrumental in Golisano's purchase of the team. I don't care for a lot of his antics, but he's a good guy as far as the Sabres are concerned.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Satan81

vCash: 500
Good: He may not be the best hockey man in terms of constructing a team, but he is certainly great for hockey in WNY. He's done a lot since the lockout began to help hockey in Buffalo (Buffalo vs. Roch high school game, Amerks games in Buffalo, partnership with Buffalo Lightning - Junior Sabres, suggestions for blue ice, larger nets). I don't agree with the blue ice and large nets, but at least he's trying to come up with alternatives to help the game. Quinn and Regier could have sat on their butt and done nothing, but instead tried to do what they could in the community given the status of the league.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Slangston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan81
Good: He may not be the best hockey man in terms of constructing a team, but he is certainly great for hockey in WNY. He's done a lot since the lockout began to help hockey in Buffalo (Buffalo vs. Roch high school game, Amerks games in Buffalo, partnership with Buffalo Lightning - Junior Sabres, suggestions for blue ice, larger nets). I don't agree with the blue ice and large nets, but at least he's trying to come up with alternatives to help the game. Quinn and Regier could have sat on their butt and done nothing, but instead tried to do what they could in the community given the status of the league.
Not much I can add as you summed up my thoughts perfectly. Quinn has done a fair job of keeping the Sabres on the minds of Western New Yorkers during this lockout hasn't he? The organEYEzation hasn't shown this much class since the Knox days.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:43 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Great businessman, not as good hockey man. It ends up working out alright for us though.

Old
06-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Takeo

I've yet to get over the Patty trade. I view Quinn through these tainted goggles.

Old
06-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Endless Ike

Well Patty's career was over, he just didn't want to admit it yet...I don't really fault him for that

Old
06-23-2005, 12:21 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-kai
Well Patty's career was over, he just didn't want to admit it yet...I don't really fault him for that
Over or no, the LaFontaine situation was bungled badly by the Sabres.

I don't think there are many Quinn fans here, me included, but Larry's been good for hockey in Buffalo.

Old
06-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-kai

Patty had 62 points in 67 games with the Rangers before Leroux put him down for the count.

There's a part of me that really wants to like Quinn. I remember listening to him on WGR last summer after the new ticket plans were introduced and he sold the product so well.

But I can't like him. I don't see any altruistic intention with him. It's all about power moves for Larry Quinn, for putting himself in the best possible position. He's more or less the GM of the team at this point. He pulls a lot of strings and deflects a lot of blame.

The man can network though. But I've got to put him in the "bad guy" category. I think the Sabres are worse off for having him back.

Old
06-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I do not particularly care for Quinn's activities, his overt meddling in team business during his first tenure with the team, nor his more covert meddling in his second term (the whole consult of Neil Smith on the Drury acquisition pops distastefully to mind), and his jumping from group to group during the bankruptcy in an attempt to return to his former position.

He seems to reflect his superiors. When Tim Regis was above him, he seemed to have some issues with accountability and character that we have since seen are hallmarks of TR. And with Golisano as his superior, he seems to be not only more accountable, but also more forward-thinking or creative.

Last edited by Chainshot: 06-23-2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Butchered Golisano spelling once again
Old
06-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Badger Bob

He jumped to Golisano's camp after it was clear that Hamister didn't have enough to get a deal done. Quinn gives the distinct impression of being a mercenary. Plus, memories still linger of his role in not calming the Muckler/Nolan fued.

Old
07-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Moon Man*

My opinion of Quinn has improved the past two years or so, but that's not saying a whole lot. I still recall some of points mentioned already... Lafontaine getting the bums rush drove me nuts, no matter what state his career was in or headed.

Old
07-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
He jumped to Golisano's camp after it was clear that Hamister didn't have enough to get a deal done. Quinn gives the distinct impression of being a mercenary.
Quinn was with Golisano from the outset. He was never a part of the Hamister bid.

Quote:
Plus, memories still linger of his role in not calming the Muckler/Nolan fued.
The Lafontaine mess was most disturbing to me because of the outright lies. Everyone knew it was about the money while Quinn and Regier tried to make it a medical issue. I doubt anyone could have calmed the Nolan/Muckler feud due to the transitional ownership status at that time. Quinn had to answer to current ownership and incoming ownership who had their own feud going over the matter.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So does today's commentary by Leisure Suit Larry shift anyone's view of him?

Old
07-26-2005, 12:02 PM
ajsonor

What did he say about Mckee?

Old
07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
So does today's commentary by Leisure Suit Larry shift anyone's view of him?
I'd tell you what I think of LSL, but that sort of language violates the TOS.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
What did he say about Mckee?
Quote:
The club holds a one-year option on McKee, but managing partner Larry Quinn doesn't see any reason to exercise it.

That would render McKee a restricted free agent and allow the Sabres to make him a qualifying offer at a savings of more than $150,000 in addition to the 24 percent salary rollback.

"Why would we not do that?" Quinn asked. "The option is our option, and if it's not in our best interest to exercise it, why would we?"

McKee could only shrug his shoulders at the news, but he hinted it might influence his thinking when he hits the open market next summer.

"It makes a big statement," McKee said. "If that's the route they choose to go, I'll just sign my (qualifying offer) for one year and be into my unrestricted free agency. But it's called a club option for a reason. So if that's what they want to do, that's their choice."

Despite his disappointment, McKee wasn't about to make any rash proclamations on his future.

"This will be my 10th year right now, and if I could pick a place to play - if all 30 teams made the same offer - I would stay in Buffalo," McKee said. "I owe these fans a lot, and there's nowhere else I'd rather be."
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...26/2024578.asp

Old
07-26-2005, 12:37 PM
ajsonor

That article displays the huge difference in character between Jay McKee and Larry Quinn. Quinn can think and act that way, but for a man in his position, he should not share it with the media before telling Mckee face-to-face.

Closed Thread