HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Francois Gagnon: Tinordi and 1st round round draft pick for Penner

Old
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I don't like trading away first round picks... it gives me one of two impressions. Either we regret making that pick and we're giving up already, or we have poor asset management.

Obviously there are some positives when trading away a former first-rounder, like getting good players in return, but it really have to be worth it or else I think it's a waste. We have to have some faith in our ability (or inability?) to train our picks to be quality NHL players.
exactly, look at what happened with Tanguay when we got him for our 1st, our pick was high but things didn't turn out well with Alex

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
I see Tinordi becoming what we wanted O'Byrne to be
Well OB is actually becoming what we wanted him to be

The problem is that he's not doing it here. We should have kept this guy , especially considering our D situation now (injuries , giving assets for band aids like Mara , Sopel ect)

Sorry for going OT btw

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'd have considered this to be honest but it really screws us over if Penner doesn't fit Martin's system.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
exactly, look at what happened with Tanguay when we got him for our 1st, our pick was high but things didn't turn out well with Alex
I thought of him when I was writing my post... He was a good player who had an off-year with us, so we traded a first round pick, a potential impact player, for one year of less-than-stellar Tanguay.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
JackZap

I wanted Penner but this was 2high, was willing to part with a 1st and a B level prospect, not 2 firsts.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I certainly hope this rumor is pure speculation by Gagnon, and not true. Because that would have been a horrendous trade by the Habs. The Kings could afford to trade Teubert. The Habs absolutely could not afford to trade Tinordi.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'd have considered this to be honest but it really screws us over if Penner doesn't fit Martin's system.
cant lie, would of also considered this just because no roster player is given up

but its probably for the best. lets see if eller + AK continues.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I certainly hope this rumor is pure speculation by Gagnon, and not true. Because that would have been a horrendous trade by the Habs. The Kings could afford to trade Teubert. The Habs absolutely could not afford to trade Tinordi.
I'm pretty sure it's what the Oilers would have wanted in return and not what Gauthier offered. Doubt he is that crazy (well I hope not)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Cupmonger

Giving Tinordi, our first round pick from last year. And then, also adding this year's 1st rounder? Too much for a player similar to AK. I think I'd like Penner. But I don't get it when people feel that he's the solution, the star we've been waiting for... Please, he's just like AK, but payed a little more. Glad this trade never happened.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:28 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's not just about doing it because you're not super high on Tinordi. It's whether or not the trade itself is fair.
Like him or not, Tinordi is still a valuable asset, like McDonagh was. We made the mistake of trading one for Gomez. Doing the same thing for Penner would be idiotic.
On top of that, we have to give our 1st rounder too??? All this for another overpaid player that's not particularly better than AK?
Really, I don't care that you don't really like the Tinordi pick, that trade would have been a huge steal.

Also, unless a player has stardom written all over, it's tough to really know just how good or bad will be in the NHL. Already, you think he'll become an okay player, that's good enough for now.
Strongly disagree. Penner is a much better player than the pick or Tinordi will ever be, Tinordi will likely be a 4th-6th dman. Easily replaceable. I would of pulled the trigger.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I doubt this even ever happened. Anyone who was here Monday afternoon knows....fake-fake-fakety-fake-fake-fake! The offer from LA was way better anyway.

He even mentioned it was a internet rumor.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Francois Gagnon said between periods on TSN last night that Penner was offered for Montreal's 1st round draft pick in 2011 and Jared Tinordi.

I am so glad this deal DID NOT take place and Edmonton dealt him to Los Angeles.

I see us landing another BIG forward in this year's draft and building around Tinordi and Subban going forward.
I wouldn't want to build around Tinordi he is not a top pairing D London doesn't often use him on the PP or PK and he is not a strong skater and often out of position. I watched him last week Thurs against Saginaw and he was horrible.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I wouldn't want to build around Tinordi he is not a top pairing D London doesn't often use him on the PP or PK and he is not a strong skater and often out of position. I watched him last week Thurs against Saginaw and he was horrible.
so... your opinion of him is based off one game. good to know.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:48 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Penner is a skill-less slow piece of meat on skates. Tinordi alone for Penner would infuriate me.

I still can't believe ppl want that guy.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Strongly disagree. Penner is a much better player than the pick or Tinordi will ever be, Tinordi will likely be a 4th-6th dman. Easily replaceable. I would of pulled the trigger.
You're one of the very few who would and that says a lot.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Deadline day. Limited supply combined with high demand makes for some crazy ****.
Plus Lombardi is desperate to improve the team. Time may be running out on his job.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Toro

Ak and a 1st for Penner is overpayment and glad it wasn't done.

Like others have said, we need the pick and Penner isn't the ideal power forward we lack. Iginla is Penner isn't.

Besides AK looks good with the new Eller.

If Tinordi develops as good as Timmins hopes, he should be untouchable pretty much cause he will be a force.

Last edited by Toro: 03-04-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Penner is a skill-less slow piece of meat on skates. Tinordi alone for Penner would infuriate me.

I still can't believe ppl want that guy.
Talking about skill-less and slow for penner then in the very next sentence bring up Tinordi, who is even less skilled and much slower. Well done.

Why would Edmonton give us a 25-30g scorer for less?

Old
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
Well OB is actually becoming what we wanted him to be

The problem is that he's not doing it here. We should have kept this guy , especially considering our D situation now (injuries , giving assets for band aids like Mara , Sopel ect)

Sorry for going OT btw
You are right

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:51 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Francois Gagnon is a hack. Dude got owned on twitter with the same proposal and now wants to make it like it was a real one.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
They are probably willing to give him away for nothing or send him down to Hamilton if they could, while the rangers have Mcdonagh playing 20 plus minutes a game. The Deal was horrible.
McDonough playing 20+ minutes is largely why the Rangers are in a downward spiral out of the playoffs.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
It's the known vs unknown, a proven 25-30 goal scorer vs someone with very little offensice upside, in fact, zero offence plus a late first rounder. I would take the proven 25-30 goal scorer everytime. You wouldn't? Too bad, but it isn't an overly steep price at all imo. I'm not even a big Penner fan, bu it means we acquire him and keep AK in the lineup I would of been all for it, especially for Tinordi and a 1st.
was a jab at you talking in absolutes.

But now, its clear overpayment, your sacrificing 2 1st rounders. I would risk one first rounder, chances a bottom 15 pick would not turn out better then Penner, but with 2? chances are higher that at LEAST, by addition, benefit would topple having a Penner. Unless your stacked like LA and want to make a big impact and can afford to. Well thats my opinion at least.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
You're one of the very few who would and that says a lot.
No actually it doesn't, all it says is most of you have no idea what you're talking about. Being in the majority doesn't make you right.

Old
saints96

Quote:
Talking about skill-less and slow for penner then in the very next sentence bring up Tinordi, who is even less skilled and much slower. Well done.

Why would Edmonton give us a 25-30g scorer for less?
because you're the expert on tinordi right? having watched him play how many games, 2??

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
ChoseLa

If Penner could have got them a 1st and Tinordi, i hope AK goes a decent PO run and land us a Tinordi and a 1st in the off-season.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote