HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NSH@VAN 3/3/11 The "Raise Your Glass" Edition

Old
03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Did not see one of your defensemen cough it up tonight. I guess I should have said Vancouver has a "plethora" of talent.
I agree that Suter and Weber are two of the best D in the league, even individually. Each brings something different. Pekka is a favourite as well.
My point was, when watching other teams, and I watch a lot of hockey, it is so much more exciting because other teams make creative skilled plays constantly throughout the game. Are the Preds capable, but the D system doesn't allow for it? Do they have te skill to make those plays? I have seen it out of SK, Erat, Wilson, and Sullivan at times.
Your team plays more of a dump and chase game, puck possession is minimal compared to other skilled teams.
Did you hear the Vancouver announcers ask, "Name me 3 players on the Preds that would crack our top 9 forwards". These are the reasons I made those statement.
Vancouver is talented, no doubt. I do have a problem with the top 9 comment. Beyond the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler, who is really that talented? Burrows benefits from playing with the Sedins. Samuelsson? Raymond? Torres? These guys are much like guys we have in Legwand, Erat, SK and a few others. The top end talent on the forward side of things you guys certainly have but the drop off from the twins and Kesler to everyone else is relatively significant. They open up the game for the rest of the team.

As far as your blue line goes, I'll take ours any day of the week over yours. You guys have some good talent but not upper echelon talent like we do. Goalie is a wash between Rinne and Luongo.

We do not play a creative offensive style which leads to low scoring events for us for the most part. Is it the system or the players? That's been a huge debate for us here in Preds land for quite some time.

Anyways, good luck to you guys the rest of the year.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Don't get bi^chy glen . Man for man they are much more skilled then the Preds. Take away Weber, Suter and Peks and there's no comparison.
Take away the Sedins and Kesler and they're much like us without the back end. I know they're more talented but go look at the stats. Burrows is a byproduct of the Sedins. Samuelsson is meh. Who else do they have up front that scares you? Raymond? Torres? Malholtra? Our defense corp is better than theirs. Goalies is a wash. The Sedins and Kesler make that team go. I'd dare to say they'd struggle without their best 2 or 3 much like we would.

Old
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
roseyc

Great win! This was a playoff type hockey game. We actually wore them down by a great forechecking effort. Tootoo and Ward especially played a great hard checking game. Blum continues to look like a seasoned pro it's unbelievable at his poise. Geofferion has the magic touch. That goal by Horqvist was one of the goals of the year. The pp with Blum qbing was terrific even though they didn't score. That is what a pp is supposed to look like. You can't expect to score everytime but you can execute and that is what we did. Blum and SK already have chemistry. The Kids have done better than any trade would have done. Fisher doesn't have chemistry with anyone at this point. But just hope that he can stay with Hornqvist because he doesn't work with sk and erat in whatever line they play. He needs to breakout he is the key right now. He has to score. Erat what is that with an open net and can't score. He had two great chances and couldn't score. Rinne was unbeliveable again. Great solid team effort. If Van thinks that this is boring hockey then they won't win the cup because that is what it takes to win playing tight checking games because the ice gets smailler in the playoffs.

roseyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Now can we fire Trotz? Putting Wilson with Hali and Bam Bam? WTF? This guy doesn't have a freaking clue. We can't score goals yet promote Ward and demote Wilson? He's an f'in idiot.
Edit fail

O.K., second try. Preds won despite Trotz's screwy lineup. I'm sure he'll think Wardo has the hot hand now and ride this another game.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Now can we fire Trotz? Putting Wilson with Hali and Bam Bam? WTF? This guy doesn't have a freaking clue. We can't score goals yet promote Ward and demote Wilson? He's an f'in idiot.
if you havent noticed Bam bam has been pretty effective. Not sure being moved to this line is a demotion...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:21 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Are the Preds capable, but the D system doesn't allow for it? Do they have te skill to make those plays? I have seen it out of SK, Erat, Wilson, and Sullivan at times.
Your team plays more of a dump and chase game, puck possession is minimal compared to other skilled teams.
Did you hear the Vancouver announcers ask, "Name me 3 players on the Preds that would crack our top 9 forwards". These are the reasons I made those statement.
First Bolded: I don't hink so. We have 4 guys able to rush the puck consistantly it seem: Legwand, Erat, Suter, and SK. Let me see more of Blum, but he looks like he can too. Wilson tries, but puckhogs more than erat. We have a team of grinders and kids and castoffs. We don't play an exciting, creative game because our skill set is working hard. We don't trap. We forecheck 2 hard almost all the time. Last I checked a 2-1-2 scheme is pretty darn aggressive. We generate chances off of mistakes: just like last night. Dman doesn't clear rebound-goal. Hamhuis turns the puck over-Goal. even the empty netter, erat takes a stupid shot and the Van players lazily go to get the icing touch up, and Legwand outworks everyone for the EN goal.

Second Bolded: for all the hockey you watch, you must have watched him as latest last year.

Third Bolded: We don't have a true #1 line. We have 2 2nds, a checking, and an energy line with a bit of grit (tootoo and the kids) I would argue other than the sedins, kesler, and burrows, out of your other 5 top nie, who they would replace in out top six?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm tired of hearing how boring we are once we've taken a lead or won a game, but if we lose it's how hard working we are. How it takes so much to beat us. It's annoying
It's because we constantly beat teams with payrolls almost double ours and other teams/fans can't figure out why or how we manage to always get so much out of so little. Common sense would suggest the higher your team's payroll the better the players the better the team, but it doesn't work like that. That's why all these comments like "they're more skilled player for player" are completely moot. This isn't an individual sport last time I checked.

We're the only team in the league to have a payroll so low and consistently make the playoffs more than most teams in the league. This confuses and flusters fans of other teams so they quickly attribute our success to "a trapping game" or "boring hockey" since they aren't capable of understanding how money isn't always necessary to achieve success on the ice. But in all fairness, if my team just got spanked 3-0 it probably would have been a boring game for me too, but winning never loses its excitement.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:18 AM
kakemono

Quote:
That much more skill huh? Questions for you, is Way Way More a technical term used in hockey for only knowledgable fans? Secondly, did one of our defensemen cough up the puck in their own zone leading to a breakaway goal for you last night? I think it's funny that you say Vancouver has all this skill but get shut out 3-0 at home. I also want to say that for a team with very little skill, a lot of people on these boards sure want to trade for a few of our guys, most notably Weber and Suter. I don't see any of your defensemen even in the same class as those two. And for all the hype that Luongo gets, Rinne is in the same ballpark when it comes to talent in goal. The only thing real different between the two is their records but Rinne's GAA and Save % is better than Bobby Lou's.
Careful - I mean... we did lose 0-4 to the Oilers at home. Everyone has bad nights.

Also, it pains me when people equate our defensive style game to a trapping team. We play an aggresive forecheck. We do trap from time to time but we are NOT a trapping team.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

For the record, Nashville used a 2-1-2 scheme most of the night, Vancouver on the other hand, played most of the game in a 1-2-2 scheme, which is much closer to a trap style than us...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if you havent noticed Bam bam has been pretty effective. Not sure being moved to this line is a demotion...
TOI of last night? Under 8 minutes for Wilson. Bam Bam under 8 minutes. Hali barely over 8 minutes. Let's see, playing 15-18 minutes a game to 8 minutes and not being on the PP=demotion. Bam Bam scored his goal with who on the ice last night? Tootoo and Spaling.

You know, we all talk about does Trotz develop and nurture offensive talent or not and this speaks volumes to me. He moves Wilson around more than someone with OCD. You cultivate talent. You put it in a position to succeed. This is not going to help his game. He's going to become a decent two way center that doesn't blossom offensively. You don't pick a guy 7th overall with his physical attributes to be this stand out defensive forward. Has he made mistakes, sure. Who hasn't? Franson and SOB sure keep making tons of mistakes yet are given time. Sully was sucking and was continually given time. I could go on with this but if it's a vet who doesn't play d or a good two way game it's fine but youngsters who don't follow the Trotz way are banished to the depths of little time. This is not the way to develop young talent. We need scoring in the worse way and we take one of our top 6 offensive talents and place him on the 4th line? Sorry, not cool. And just because Bam Bam has two goals, it just means we're getting secondary scoring finally. We need Wilson to be a top 6 guy and the only way he learns that is by playing top 6 minutes. He'll make mistakes but he'll also make his fair share of good plays. He just needs the experience and him playing 8 minutes a night is going to take him twice as long to get that experience.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:40 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
TOI of last night? Under 8 minutes for Wilson. Bam Bam under 8 minutes. Hali barely over 8 minutes. Let's see, playing 15-18 minutes a game to 8 minutes and not being on the PP=demotion. Bam Bam scored his goal with who on the ice last night? Tootoo and Spaling.

You know, we all talk about does Trotz develop and nurture offensive talent or not and this speaks volumes to me. He moves Wilson around more than someone with OCD. You cultivate talent. You put it in a position to succeed. This is not going to help his game. He's going to become a decent two way center that doesn't blossom offensively. You don't pick a guy 7th overall with his physical attributes to be this stand out defensive forward. Has he made mistakes, sure. Who hasn't? Franson and SOB sure keep making tons of mistakes yet are given time. Sully was sucking and was continually given time. I could go on with this but if it's a vet who doesn't play d or a good two way game it's fine but youngsters who don't follow the Trotz way are banished to the depths of little time. This is not the way to develop young talent. We need scoring in the worse way and we take one of our top 6 offensive talents and place him on the 4th line? Sorry, not cool. And just because Bam Bam has two goals, it just means we're getting secondary scoring finally. We need Wilson to be a top 6 guy and the only way he learns that is by playing top 6 minutes. He'll make mistakes but he'll also make his fair share of good plays. He just needs the experience and him playing 8 minutes a night is going to take him twice as long to get that experience.
I thought to myself last night, "What is worse? That Ward is playing on one of the top two lines, or that when we have a rookie who is being inconsistent we have no better options than moving Ward to a top line?" The argument for Dumont over Tootoo can be made, but Tootoo also played a good game. Dumont for Ward is just misusing a player in a different way. Ward, for all of his offensive faults, can still play defense and battle along the boards. We needed that last night. Other than that I don't see who gets the spot. Geoffrion is a rookie, so there's no way he deserves top line minutes against Vancouver. Wilson scored a nice goal the other night, but he is streaky and can become a liability with the puck (which turns into a liability without the puck). He did have a pretty nice play on Kesler last night. Kesler was attempting to stop Wilson and steal the puck. Instead Wilson built a wall, contained the puck, skated away, and kept play going. When he can do that sort of thing on every shift he wont be moving up and down lines any longer.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I thought to myself last night, "What is worse? That Ward is playing on one of the top two lines, or that when we have a rookie who is being inconsistent we have no better options than moving Ward to a top line?" The argument for Dumont over Tootoo can be made, but Tootoo also played a good game. Dumont for Ward is just misusing a player in a different way. Ward, for all of his offensive faults, can still play defense and battle along the boards. We needed that last night. Other than that I don't see who gets the spot. Geoffrion is a rookie, so there's no way he deserves top line minutes against Vancouver. Wilson scored a nice goal the other night, but he is streaky and can become a liability with the puck (which turns into a liability without the puck). He did have a pretty nice play on Kesler last night. Kesler was attempting to stop Wilson and steal the puck. Instead Wilson built a wall, contained the puck, skated away, and kept play going. When he can do that sort of thing on every shift he wont be moving up and down lines any longer.
That's my point. He's not going to learn to do that sitting on the bench. At some point you have to live with some mistakes now so that the growth period doesn't take as long and he's a better player for us sooner than later.

I know what you're saying and I'm glad we won but when Ward is a top 6 guy for us, it scares me. He's been pretty inconsistent as a player for the most part this year. Last night was the first time in a long time I thought he played a good game.

Anyone notice the amount of minutes Weber and Suter got last night? Both over 25 minutes. No other D over 20 for the game. That may have played a little bit into our win as well last night.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

now is not the time to be willing to play through mistakes. that was the first 30 games

Old
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I look at a potential Van vs. NSH matchup and I think that is the best way for Nashville to get into the 2nd round. Just by the commentary coming from Vancouver, Nashville is in their heads.

As a moderator, I dread it because of the trolling, counter-trolling, and other assorted toolery that can happen.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
now is not the time to be willing to play through mistakes. that was the first 30 games
Yet we're playing Blum, Bam Bam and Halischuk? And for that matter Franson and SOB?

And if your 30 games or 50 games assessment is correct, why in the hell was he playing with Ward and Smithson?

Old
03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Yet we're playing Blum, Bam Bam and Halischuk? And for that matter Franson and SOB?

And if your 30 games or 50 games assessment is correct, why in the hell was he playing with Ward and Smithson?
To be fair, Blum has looked like everything but a rookie since his call up. Geoffrion and Halischuk are playing limited minutes. We don't really have much of an option for our bottom pairing, but Franson and SOB play protected minutes, too, especially at home.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
We just beat the best team in the league and we're complaining about the lines? Really? Cause I saw a TON of chances out there tonight, even if we didn't bury them (wide open Marty Erat). Most nights I don't want Ward up over Wilson, either, but against VAN it's not such a crazy idea - gives us the ability to match not only our Smitty line against the Twins, but also at least the Legwand line, if not the Fisher line, too.

I want the kids playing together. I want them to play a little more; not sure I want them playing more against VAN, particularly when we have a couple days off before we play again so rest/travel isn't as much a factor.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:

I think at this point it is apparant we are going to win games 2-1, 3-2. If that is the case, Wilson has to play a 2 way game until he stops puck hogging or gets guys that can finish around him. I don't know if Wilson hasn't bought in to the system, or is still adjusting, I don't know. I think with smithson and spaling, or ward, they can dum the puck in deep, and Wilson can go get it off the boards and puck hog and turn it over 200 feet from our net rather than carry the puck and turn it over and hav eodd man rushes coming at peks. At least the rest of this year, Wilson has to understand that is the game. Maybe with a little health, speed, and another winger wilson can blossom into the big, physical passing presence we want him to be, but for right now, it doesn't work.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think at this point it is apparant we are going to win games 2-1, 3-2. If that is the case, Wilson has to play a 2 way game until he stops puck hogging or gets guys that can finish around him. I don't know if Wilson hasn't bought in to the system, or is still adjusting, I don't know. I think with smithson and spaling, or ward, they can dum the puck in deep, and Wilson can go get it off the boards and puck hog and turn it over 200 feet from our net rather than carry the puck and turn it over and hav eodd man rushes coming at peks. At least the rest of this year, Wilson has to understand that is the game. Maybe with a little health, speed, and another winger wilson can blossom into the big, physical passing presence we want him to be, but for right now, it doesn't work.
Damn you making a thought out lucid comeback. I'll see you the week after next. I'm in town for the 4 games starting next Saturday. Come and visit at the normal spot.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
As a moderator, I dread it because of the trolling, counter-trolling, and other assorted toolery that can happen.
thats funny, I look forward to it for all the same reasons!

Also, just wanted to say, Thanks Hamhuis!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:57 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
TOI of last night? Under 8 minutes for Wilson. Bam Bam under 8 minutes. Hali barely over 8 minutes.
Teams re-building throw their 20 year old out with prime icetime, unless you are Stamkos. But Wilson isn't Stamkos, nor will he ever be close.

Look at Edmonton, they are giving Erberle and Paavarji prime ice time. But at what cost? They're last, and their stats are similar to Wilson anyways.

People want to believe & hope that Wilson is 'The One' and will be the dominant scorer we need. But, I don't think he has anywhere near that talent. I think his high-end potential is a slightly better version of Hartnell.

Hartnell was treated in a similar fashion, and he turned out fine, right about where expectations where.

Wilson will be a good player for us, but he's still very raw, and he needs time to develop. Sure, we can throw him tons of icetime right now and I'm sure he'll put up a couple more points, but we will risk losing these close games due to his rawness.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:02 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Teams re-building throw their 20 year old out with prime icetime, unless you are Stamkos. But Wilson isn't Stamkos, nor will he ever be close.

Look at Edmonton, they are giving Erberle and Paavarji prime ice time. But at what cost? They're last, and their stats are similar to Wilson anyways.

People want to believe & hope that Wilson is 'The One' and will be the dominant scorer we need. But, I don't think he has anywhere near that talent. I think his high-end potential is a slightly better version of Hartnell.

Hartnell was treated in a similar fashion, and he turned out fine, right about where expectations where.

Wilson will be a good player for us, but he's still very raw, and he needs time to develop. Sure, we can throw him tons of icetime right now and I'm sure he'll put up a couple more points, but we will risk losing these close games due to his rawness.
Yet putting Sully in those same exact situations was helping us win games?

Old
03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Yet putting Sully in those same exact situations was helping us win games?
1. Sully's mistakes weren't brain-farts, they were trying to do stuff he can't do anymore.
2. We all know Trotz is a little too loyal to his vets.
3. Trotz also knows what he'll get with Ward. Ward doesn't go into too many slumps. He's solid, usually makes the right play. He's defensively sound. That move make a lot of sense when you think about it. No - doesn't have Wilson's upside, but he's not gonna' make the goofs Wilson still makes.
4. If you were looking for "lightning" you have to try Sully - if he could get healthy he did have the skills at one time to be a solid contributor. We still speculate Wilson has them, but has he showed them for any extended run of games?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

I can't even find the strength to seriously debate anybody who can justify playing Ward over Wilson on a team that's 27th in G/G.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
jlsg

There's not much to really debate. Until Wilson plays a better game he won't get the toi. There are a lot of things that make up a winger getting ice time, some we see as fans, most we don't. He's not shown me anything that says he MUST get the toi so I'll have to defer to the staff for now.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote