HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did Penner look last night?

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
KingsKnight
June 11-12 13-14

vCash: 500
He definitely looked out of place in terms of the system, but you can see a lot of potential there once he gets that down. He has a lot of presence just due to his size, and he started using it last night along the boards down low. At first I thought he had a lazy stride, but realized he just accelerates slow and has a long stride. His speed is ok. I think a couple practices with the Kings system and he'll understand his position better and understand the energy of the team. His biggest contribution was that he somehow got Kopi skating like a demon.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
but he didnt look like a 4.3 million dollar a year player to me.
Yer kinda of an unforgiving person if you cant understand the persons entire life has been uprooted and was put into a team with entirely new players he has never played with and he had 1 practice in a system that is ENTIRELY different from Edmonton's. If you kid brings an A- on his report card do you ground him?

Old
03-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

I like that he made the effort to backcheck but honestly, the dude has one of the most awkward skating strides I've ever seen. If it gets him from A to B then whatever, but he looks like an out of control freight train.

I can also definitely see where he's gotten the "lazy" reputation. He got caught flat footed a few times in the cycle and on the forecheck.

Still though, first game, new system, he looked fine.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:51 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
he was alright. definitely seems like he needs time to sync up with the team a bit, but he wasn't bad at all. seemed like kopi didn't know where to look to find him a couple of times tonight, which will change with repetition. penner will go to better places and kopi will know where to go to find him.

he did some good things though, he backchecked pretty hard all night. on a night that no one did anything offensively, except anze, he didn't stand out as being particularly bad.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

He's ****ing huge

Old
03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
He was playing sound defense in his own end all night last night. Of course, most folks napped through that.
not criticizing him for that. he was sound almost all night and played the body more than i expected. it will be interesting to see if that diminishes over time as he feels more comfortable. on a new team, new system it's one thing he can control. as time passes i hope he continues to take the body, because we saw what he can do to control the ice.

my critique is aimed at Murray's ability to destroy offensive creativity for the sake of playing D all the time. his system is so defensively rigid and confining it limits the offense, which in turn demands that D responsibility is even more crucial since they need to keep games close because of low scoring. im not advocating being lazy on the D side, but sometimes you've got to take chances. the top teams have that 'killer ability', the ability to 'put the boot to your oppoenents throat'. in other words to put more pressure on them whether it's offense or defense, to make them play how you want them to. playing a D first mentality to me is the same as sitting back and not putting forward pressure on an opponent, reaction rather than being pro-active.

Old
03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
lafan

Nothing to do with

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post
Yer kinda of an unforgiving person if you cant understand the persons entire life has been uprooted and was put into a team with entirely new players he has never played with and he had 1 practice in a system that is ENTIRELY different from Edmonton's. If you kid brings an A- on his report card do you ground him?
moveing or new players the way he played last night is the way he will be playing a month from now,all im saying is he isnt worth 60,000.00 dollars a game and thats what your paying him.

Old
03-04-2011, 01:34 PM
itstheo54

Quote:
moveing or new players the way he played last night is the way he will be playing a month from now,all im saying is he isnt worth 60,000.00 dollars a game and thats what your paying him.
he was on the ice for the only goal, the other 13 players on the kings couldnt do that.

Old
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
fail... give the guy a break, he had 1 practice before that game. no one steps in and is 100% his first day on the job

Old
03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Would you like to give us a couple hundred of those thousand?
I would just settle for 82 GWG a season...

Old
03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
He makes more in one game than I make a year. Man do I regret not taking up hockey as a kid

Old
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
lafan

OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
fail... give the guy a break, he had 1 practice before that game. no one steps in and is 100% his first day on the job
lets leave it for now,and mid to end of next season we will see if you think he is a 4.3 million dollar player,thats all.

Old
03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
You guys are discounting the tremendous amount of pressure Penner was under after un-retiring Darryl Sydor's #25.

Old
03-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
not criticizing him for that. he was sound almost all night and played the body more than i expected. it will be interesting to see if that diminishes over time as he feels more comfortable. on a new team, new system it's one thing he can control. as time passes i hope he continues to take the body, because we saw what he can do to control the ice.

my critique is aimed at Murray's ability to destroy offensive creativity for the sake of playing D all the time. his system is so defensively rigid and confining it limits the offense, which in turn demands that D responsibility is even more crucial since they need to keep games close because of low scoring. im not advocating being lazy on the D side, but sometimes you've got to take chances. the top teams have that 'killer ability', the ability to 'put the boot to your oppoenents throat'. in other words to put more pressure on them whether it's offense or defense, to make them play how you want them to. playing a D first mentality to me is the same as sitting back and not putting forward pressure on an opponent, reaction rather than being pro-active.
For what it's worth, we tried the run and gun thing in the early 2000s and it really didn't get us very far. I'll take winning 1-0 over having to score five goals a game to win any day.

Old
03-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Can we undo the trade?

Old
03-04-2011, 03:05 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:

my critique is aimed at Murray's ability to destroy offensive creativity for the sake of playing D all the time. his system is so defensively rigid and confining it limits the offense, which in turn demands that D responsibility is even more crucial since they need to keep games close because of low scoring.
I hear you, but it's winning games, and so long as refs are content of let the interference sludge creep back into the game as they have been over the last couple of years, it's going to win championships as well.

If that's what it takes to get a Cup to LA, I'm more than willing to endure watching it.

Goal differential is key combined with the low goals-against. The Kings not only are a +23 in that department, they are allowing the fewest goals in the league. Only Nashville and Vancouver have better GA #'s. That's going to be huge come playoff time.

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-04-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old
03-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It is amazing what we'll fight over these days...

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
For what it's worth, we tried the run and gun thing in the early 2000s and it really didn't get us very far. I'll take winning 1-0 over having to score five goals a game to win any day.
i know and im not advocating to return to that. personally i get pissed when guys don't take their D responsibilites.....well responsibly. i hated teammates that feel they can hit cruise mode, expect the puck to be cleared and then hit them with a long pass that puts them back on the attack. i hate watching teams/players that are lazy when it comes to how they play both sides of the puck.

what i am advocating is the happy medium between the two sides. the old saying "a good offense, is a good defense". this holds especially true in today's NHL where puck possession and offensive pressure is how the top teams play. they put constant pressure on a defense and goalie that leads to breakdowns, penalties and power play opportunities.

LA is obviously a few pieces away from having the skill in place to do some of what is necessary to play this style. what they do have though is the ability to use the assets they have to put the pressure on with forward rather than backwards pressure. LA is lacking 1 or 2 players that are either exceptional puck handlers/passers, or players with top level speed. having players with these assets puts the D on it's heels, opens lanes and seams.

LA can still play an aggressive forecheck/offense style with it's current roster. get away from this high F3 bs that does nothing but limit the offensive chances and give the opponent wider passing lanes to break out. that is what is ironic about the Murray system. it's so conservative that it gives the opponent an easier breakout. if that team has speed, or very good possession type players they can hit seams and get through LA's three defenders. think back to the NYI game and how easily they were breaking out and then bounced LA back on its heels. DET did the same by making that first pass then maintaining possession through the gaps.

bring that F3 down a bit and it closes/minimizes the breakout, while also supporting the other two forwards. LA's next step forward isn't so much which player's emerge do they get. it's what will DL when it comes to the coaching and style they are playing. ironically both VAN and DET play systems in line with what i'm talking about. their stats vs LA's
Van GF - 210, GA - 154 +54
Det GF - 215, GA - 188 +27
LA GF - 179, GA - 156 +23

granted LA doesnt have the likes of a Datysuk/Zetterberg, or Sedin bro's when it comes to forwards that absolutely put defenders on their heels. there is someplace between where LA is today and where those two are that Murray needs to move this team and style. by not doing so is almost self defeating and counter productive.

Old
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
KingsKnight
June 11-12 13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
This. Especially considering how well we've been doing over the last dozen games and more. If we had lost even two of those games, look where we'd be in the standings. We are playing our best hockey at the right time. We could easily be on the outside looking in.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Yeah, can't just win. Have to win the right way! With STYLE!!

For what it's worth, the Kings played a great patient game against the premier defensive strategist coach in the league last night. They took more than the Coyotes gave and won the game. The sour lemon look on Tippet's face the last 10 minutes or so of the third was worth every minute of grind he makes fans endure.

Go Kings.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
johnjm22

What we saw from Penner last night is what we're going to get. He's a decent player; that's it. Nothing more. He's not going to be a huge difference maker.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
The Kings could make the SCF this year and there would be people on here complaining about something.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
You guys are discounting the tremendous amount of pressure Penner was under after un-retiring Darryl Sydor's #25.
... Post of the thread.

Didn't Eric Belanger crumble under that same pressure? So did the mighty Jon Klemm.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:52 PM
foshizzle

Edmonton fan here, who has seen ALOT of Penner over the past 3 seasons. Here is what you get from Penner...

1) He is a solid two way player- very strong defensively-
2) He makes everyone around him better-- it may appear as though he is not doing much- but he creates a ton of space. His line (regardless who is on it) will consistantly- game in and game out- out chance and outshoot the opposition.
3) He controls the puck and is impossible to knock it off him
4) He can kill penalties and play the PP.
5) He played the tough minutes in Edmonton

You got a solid player. You'll appreciate him more as you see the small nuances of his game.

Old
03-04-2011, 04:52 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
What we saw from Penner last night is what we're going to get. He's a decent player; that's it. Nothing more. He's not going to be a huge difference maker.
You're out to lunch buddy. See my post above.

Closed Thread