HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need To Finish Higher In The Standings

Old
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
We Need To Finish Higher In The Standings

Rank Team GP W L OT PTS GF GA Home Away Last 10 Streak
1 Philadelphia 63 40 17 6 86 205 162 20-9-3 20-8-3 5-4-1 Lost 2
2 Boston 64 38 19 7 83 197 149 16-12-3 22-7-4 7-3-0 Won 7

3 Tampa Bay 64 37 20 7 81 193 194 21-7-4 16-13-3 4-4-2 Lost 2
4 Pittsburgh 65 37 21 7 81 189 162 20-11-2 17-10-5 3-4-3
5 Washington 65 35 20 10 80 173 164 19-8-7 16-12-3 6-4-0 Won 3
6 Montreal 65 35 23 7 77 172 165 20-8-6 15-15-1 5-3-2 Won 3
7 Carolina 65 31 25 9 71 189 196 18-10-3 13-15-6 5-3-2 Won 2
8 NY Rangers 66 33 29 4 70 182 163 14-16-3 19-13-1 4-6-0 Lost 3

9 Buffalo 63 30 25 8 68 181 182 14-15-3 16-10-5 4-3-3
10 Toronto 65 29 27 9 67 170 197 15-11-7 14-16-2 6-1-3 Won 2

We seriously need to finish top of the North East and end up in 2nd in the conference.

If you look at the bottom 2 teams that can make the playoffs, they all seem to offer very little resistance to the top 2 teams. Where as the Pens seem to be a shadow of themselves without Malkin and Crosby, they'll probably end up finshing 6th. Playing Philly in the 2nd round and again, not offering any resistance in particular.

If we finish 6th then we'd liekly play Tampa or Washington in the first and Philly in the second. All teams I'd rather not play in the 1st 2 rounds.

If we finish 2nd, we should dramitically increse our odds as the 1st round should be easier as the bottom 2 teams in the conference don't seem especially strong this year. We'd also set ourselves up quite nicely in the 2nd round and hopefully only have to play Philly in the Conference Final if either team makes it that far, thus maximizing our chances to make it to the Cup finals.

Next 2 games for us will be HUGE, especially Tuesday March 8 and Thursday the 24th. They could be the difference between going far in the playoffs or an early exit IMO.

I do know that once you're in the playoffs anything can happen, last year being a prime example of that. But once we got through two 7 games series, we had nothing left in the tank against Philly. An easir route to the ECF will help our odds dramitically IMO.

I love talking about the playoffs!

Go Habs Go!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Delat

I wouldn't mind facing Tampa, I know they are good, but wecan beat them in a 7 game series. On another note, I'd really like Toronto to face Philly in the first round, I was sure they would give them a tough time yesterday and they did. It would be tough but they could upset the Flyers in the playoffs.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
The only team I don't want to face is Philly. I feel like we have a fighting chance against everyone else.

Getting home ice advantage all the way through would be a huge plus, though.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:01 AM
MrRoundtree

Tampa seems to have our number this year. I'd much rather face Pittsburg.
On another note, if Toronto makes the playoffs, they could definately play against first place Boston, if somehow Boston get past the flyers

MrRoundtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
llamateizer

i though we needed to finish lower ^^

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
I wouldn't mind facing Tampa, I know they are good, but wecan beat them in a 7 game series. On another note, I'd really like Toronto to face Philly in the first round, I was sure they would give them a tough time yesterday and they did. It would be tough but they could upset the Flyers in the playoffs.
I feel the same way. I'd like if Philly played very physical teams to wear them down and make them have to deal with injuries. They've been relatively injury free this year and it shows in the standings.

If Boston were to finish lower they'd also likey have to get through Philly before us. Id rather play both those teams after they beat each other down then go through them both.

The later we meet a physical team in the playoffs, the better for us as long as they play other pysical teams and ware down.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Jedrik

Ideally, finishing 4-5 and playing Pitt would be my choice, given their injuries.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
MathMan

The Habs would like to get past Boston, but Boston has built too much of a head start on Thomas's perfomance high to make that very likely.

OTOH, I'd rather see them face Boston than Tampa. Tampa is a much better club, Boston is, again, mostly riding goaltending.

Barring that, if Pittsburgh can stay in the 4-5 range and Montreal pass Washington, that is a very good matchup. Washington is stronger than Boston, so I wouldn't want that, but minus Crosby and Malkin, Pittsburgh is not nearly as menacing.

Toronto's a terrible team riding hot goaltending. They won't make it in and would be fodder if they did.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
NHLcrazy

It's going to be really hard catching the Bruins...

1- They have one game in hand and are 6 points ahead with not a whole lot of games left

2- We absolutely need to beat them in regulation in our 2 last meetings.

3-They have 18 games left (10 home-8 away) and 9 of those are vs eastern non-playoff teams, 3 more vs the West (CLB,NAS,CHI) and only 2 games vs the top 5 teams in the East...2! We have 7 games vs the top 5.

4- They're on fire

Last edited by NHLcrazy: 03-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.
NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
obcd1

Isn't finishing higher in the standings to face weaker teams is the best thing to do each year anyway?

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Ideally, finishing 4-5 and playing Pitt would be my choice, given their injuries.
If we pass Pitts, so will Washington. Would be 4-5 playing against Washington. Which is atually ok with me, even though they'd want to avenge last year so much. Thing is though, I think that Martin is just a much better coach than Boudreau and we have the goalie advantage, we could take it.

The only team I don't want to face is Philadelphia. Anything else we can win (ofc we could lose too, but we'd have a decent shot). Boston I'd rather not meet them in the first round either though, they're a scary team since their trades. But somehow we tend to do very well against them.

Even though I hate Toronto and I like to see them miss the playoffs every year since the lock-out, it would be pretty funny to see them make it and face Boston in the first round.

Best case scenario for me would be to get in 4th and face Pitts at 5th (even though I expect Wash to finish 5th if we manage to get 4th). Then have say Carolina miraculously beat Philly in the first round (ya right) and who knows...

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Habs would like to get past Boston, but Boston has built too much of a head start on Thomas's perfomance high to make that very likely.

OTOH, I'd rather see them face Boston than Tampa. Tampa is a much better club, Boston is, again, mostly riding goaltending.

Barring that, if Pittsburgh can stay in the 4-5 range and Montreal pass Washington, that is a very good matchup. Washington is stronger than Boston, so I wouldn't want that, but minus Crosby and Malkin, Pittsburgh is not nearly as menacing.

Toronto's a terrible team riding hot goaltending. They won't make it in and would be fodder if they did.
Boston is a much more complete team than TB. Boston is not just riding goal-tending these days, they added a lot to their roster. I mean, they have the 2nd best offense in the East after Philly...

TB is riding Stamkos as much as Boston was riding Thomas. TB has aweful depth, especially on D, they have been spared by injuries a lot this year (at least on key players, Lecavalier and Gagne got injured but they kinda sucked before their injuries, although this time around Lecavalier was pretty solid lately). A team in the playoffs that focuses on shutting down Stamkos-St-Louis and can manage it would have a lot of success against TB. Seeing what the Habs managed to do in the playoffs against Ovechkin-Backstrom and Crosby-Malkin last year, I don't think it would be something impossible to do.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:25 AM
bipolarhabfan

As I always say, worry about making it. Of all the teams, I would hate to play the Flyers and Bolts. I am comfortable we can beat everyone else.

I think both Washington and Pittsburgh were happy they had to face us last year and look what happened. The games are played on the ice and, unlike the NBA and MLB, there are no certainties in this league when it comes to playoff hockey.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
If we pass Pitts, so will Washington. Would be 4-5 playing against Washington. Which is atually ok with me, even though they'd want to avenge last year so much. Thing is though, I think that Martin is just a much better coach than Boudreau and we have the goalie advantage, we could take it.

The only team I don't want to face is Philadelphia. Anything else we can win (ofc we could lose too, but we'd have a decent shot). Boston I'd rather not meet them in the first round either though, they're a scary team since their trades. But somehow we tend to do very well against them.

Even though I hate Toronto and I like to see them miss the playoffs every year since the lock-out, it would be pretty funny to see them make it and face Boston in the first round.

Best case scenario for me would be to get in 4th and face Pitts at 5th (even though I expect Wash to finish 5th if we manage to get 4th). Then have say Carolina miraculously beat Philly in the first round (ya right) and who knows...
Just looking at the standings, if Washington hits a skid, we're right there in their place vs. Pitt. I know what you're saying, but it's as much of a scenario as anything else, and one that I'd like.

I think we can beat WSH, however. We stack up poorly against Philly and Boston, IMO. I'd rather avoid both but given my choice of poison I would take Boston. Basically the three teams we match up the worst against are looking to be 1-2-3 in the conference, so if we can't hit the 4-5 series, then I'd take a 6th place finish against Tampa, I guess. Either way, it seems like the cards are stacked against us this year.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
ppil

I don't think Tampa will hang on to the third place, Washington will pass them, so finishing 4-5 would mean facing Pitts or Tampa which is the best scenario (assuming we can't finish 1-2).

Tampa are all about offense and poor on the back end which give some chance to our average offence, and we can wish the best with Price.

Pitts without Crosby and Malkin are still good, but I think we have some good chances of winning.

I'd be afraid of Washington because of their motivation coming from revenge. You don't want to face all that talent if it's really motivated.

Boston would be the most interesting as fans, but lets save it for later!

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
finish 4th, face washignton at 5 or vice versa

and just hope we dont face philly till round 3

and even then, hope for an upset sooner or by us.

as far as im concerned, this years playoffs is alllll gravy.

PS. , leafs better finish 9th.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:35 PM
guest1467

I dont really give a **** who we play, we can beat them all. Speculating on `who to avoid` after the first round is ridiculous, if you want to win, you got to beat good teams.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Same here !

Habs finishing 6th is super. If they can meet TB, even better. They have no goalies.

Right now, Boston is head and shoulders above the Habs offensively and in terms of grittiness. They are built for playoffs' hockey.

I just hope next game against them won't finish in a bloodbath.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:09 PM
neofury*

It's funny Toronto has the type of team that would be good for a playoff, if they could ever make it there

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Gally11

I think the very unlikely Devils would be the best shot at taking out Philly, they are getting Parise back though which can be a huge boost to an already confident club... But then Devils would remain in the playoffs lol another team I hate.. At the moment the only team I would consider a near impossible match up would be Philly though.. I think we could have a chance at shutting down Tampa's players in a 7 game series if our defense is as tight as last year

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:11 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I dont really give a **** who we play, we can beat them all. Speculating on `who to avoid` after the first round is ridiculous, if you want to win, you got to beat good teams.
I disagree the speculating is fun. And just because you have to beat good teams to win doesn't mean you have to beat the good teams that match up better against you than others.

I mean all the teams making it are good teams, I'd just rather play one of the ones we match up well against and not a team like Philly.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:27 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I disagree the speculating is fun. And just because you have to beat good teams to win doesn't mean you have to beat the good teams that match up better against you than others.

I mean all the teams making it are good teams, I'd just rather play one of the ones we match up well against and not a team like Philly.
Except the fact that speculating who is going to be around in the second round is impossible. Things change so fast.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Here is the dilemma: our last game is against Toronto.

If they need a win to get to the playoffs, do we

1- Let them win, so they can face the Flyers
2- Try to crush them, so we have the pleasure of having knocked them out of the playoffS?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote