HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The Blues sale is finally complete!

Old
03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
Managing partner agreement. That's how he's in control.

Also, take it for what it's worth, but my dad's friend has some connections with members of the Blues organization and he says that there are several offers, but Towerbrook and the investors are haggling over the price. Towerbrook wants something like 50% more than they are offering. It would still be a profit for them, but they are trying to get a higher ROI and are haggling over the price while keeping their holding expenses (i.e. payroll) down. He says the most serious person bidding on the team is a St. Louisan named Webster. I forget his first name.

He also says that Armstrong isn't very fond of Jackman and that he was looking to move Jackman at the deadline but couldn't find any good offers and moving him would have put us dangerously close to the cap floor. He says that deadline deals to trade Johnson and dump some of the established veterans was to assert himself as GM. Says there are a lot of Blues alumni that are tight with many of the players and management and try and influence the organization. When Davidson first got here he leaned on some of them a little, but wanted an strong outsider like Armstrong to take over for Pleau. He says MacInnis especially was meddling in personnel too much and was a big fan of Jackman and Johnson. Whoever is my dad's friend's source in the organization is not a fan of MacInnis and pretty much trashes him whenever he can.

Again, believe me or not, I'm just relaying what I have been told.
That makes complete sense. MacInnis played with Jackman, they were defensive partners and Johnson lived with him, so of course MacInnis is going to defend them and be a big fan of them. MacInnis probably has too much of an emotional attachment to those two and possibly others as well. It's hard for recent retired players to become part of the front office because they are still athletes at heart. I think MacInnis is valuable to the Blues, but I'm glad Armstrong makes the final decisions.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
SteenMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Moving Jackman leaves the Blues Coliacavo and Polak as their most experienced Dmen. If you add Pietroangelo and Shattenkirk, who will be sophomores next season, then you have what, Cole and Nitikin to round out the top 6? Yikes....... Even with Jackman in the fold, the Blues need a veteran defensive Dman, getting rid of him is fine if they can improve the blueline.
I think that's the point might as well get rid of the last of the top PK unit in the league since you're going to ice Cam Jansen every night and just tank... Checketts needs to stop being an ******* and just admit he's not wealthy enough to own a sports franchise, or talented enough to positively influence it, or a good enough business man to find financial backing, or humble enough to know when to step aside and not **** up a few hundred people's careers.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:37 PM
EOM

Could Checketts even sell them the team outright if he chose to? I don't know how any of it works but I do know he isn't the majority shareholder so wouldn't he have to convince his entire investment group, or at least the majority shareholder, to sell?

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Well it's a good think Armstrong asserted himself into this team unable to keep the puck out of their own net. That'll teach 'em real good Dougie! Is there an "I really only mean just a little sarcasm" smiley?

I'm not saying your bolded statement is wrong, it is just really hard to imagine how anyone could trash MacInnis. Isn't MacInnis the VP of player develoment? You would think that the duties of that job would include some "meddling" from time to time.
I think the guy trashes MacInnis because he thinks he's an arrogant a-hole. As far as the "meddling" comment, I think he had Pleau/Davidson's ear and tried to influence player acquisition, not just player development, (i.e. "Don't trade my buddies.") and the source disagrees with his assesments on certain players.

As far as not having any veteran d-men if Jackman is gone, I think their #1 priority this offseason is signing or trading for one.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I really don't see a reason why MacInnis giving input on player acquisition is a problem. I'd want any recent player to share what they know. They have a unique perspective from being on the ice with a lot of these guys recently.

As long as the final decision rests with the GM, I'd get opinions from all the smart people I can before making a move.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:59 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I really don't see a reason why MacInnis giving input on player acquisition is a problem. I'd want any recent player to share what they know. They have a unique perspective from being on the ice with a lot of these guys recently.

As long as the final decision rests with the GM, I'd get opinions from all the smart people I can before making a move.
That's fine, as long as Armstrong is his own man and makes these decisions for himself. I have a feeling before Armstrong came in it was too much decision(/indecision) by committee. I think that is why he was brought in.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
I think the guy trashes MacInnis because he thinks he's an arrogant a-hole. As far as the "meddling" comment, I think he had Pleau/Davidson's ear and tried to influence player acquisition, not just player development, (i.e. "Don't trade my buddies.") and the source disagrees with his assesments on certain players.

As far as not having any veteran d-men if Jackman is gone, I think their #1 priority this offseason is signing or trading for one.
A position that most teams missing the playoffs are in, they better get it done, or trading EJ was pointless. Kind of sucks when some of the best d-men in the league are all crammed into the central division, and low seed rivals in the West. If they can't afford to pay Brewer and Winchester for 2 months they better be able to afford something better than an expendable top 4 guy (usually a bad contract or 2nd pairing ceiling) or market value free agent.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

New article up about a bid for outright ownership!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...756258c9d.html

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:33 AM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Tom Stillman seeks to buy the Blues

Quote:
Beer distributor seeks to puchase Blues

By Jeremy Rutherford jrutherford@post-dispatch.com 314-444-7135 St. Louis Post-Dispatch | Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 12:20

NEW YORK With Dave Checketts' efforts to replace the Blues' major investor still unresolved, an offer has been made to purchase the team outright from Checketts, multiple sources have told the Post-Dispatch.
Rest of the article here.....

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:54 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Interesting....the guy already owns 10%. Hard to believe the NHL would object to this guy. But sounds like he's low-balling the offer. Just how desperate is Checketts and how much pressure is Towerbrook putting on him?

I worry that the ownership situation being in limbo will really hurt the Blues' chances of attracting UFAs.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Stang

Nvm this post

Last edited by Stang: 03-05-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Threads were combined
Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Stang

I'm curious how low his offer really was. You can't fault him for making a business decision and seeing a potentially low price on something you want. If he is truly committed to becoming the majority owner of this team he will buck up and make Checketts the offer required. Also, I can't blame Checketts for not wanting to give up the team but if a decent offer comes in, you can't continue to hold the team hostage.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
stlweir

Forbes estimates the Blues value increased $15 million since Checketts group purchased the Blues. In a down economy that doesn't seem likely. The NHL owns and runs the Sharks, several other teams are looking for new owners. The Blues are now selling out but as a potential buyer you know that won't always be the case. At this point Checketts has not been able to find an investor so the market is saying that what he is offering isn't worth it for the price he wants. The offer to purchase may be a low ball or it may be fair market value which may be less than what Checketts bought the team for. I guess we won't know until the numbers come out, if they ever do. At this point it appears things don't look good for Checketts and for Blues fans if the club is cash strapped.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
This is becoming quite hairy..

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
SteenMachine

Yeah the weirdest part of all of this. Is that it's becoming even more vague as to who is in control of this situation between Towerbrook and Checketts, and if that doesn't go anywhere because they're both content to sit on their investment who or when do you see someone else intervene for the sake of the franchise and the league. If they're actually holding out for the next NHL TV contract like was speculated it's potentially really screwing with the organizations decisions and competitiveness.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Stang

Strickland just posted an article on the situation.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/C...st-in-Blues-01

Old
03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Strickland just posted an article on the situation.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/C...st-in-Blues-01
Man I wish he'd bother to proofread his own work. Still, it sounds like he's just an outsider with his fact straight and no real info.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'm not sure how many people actually watched the Islanders game, but JD was on the air for a couple minutes. I've missed his candor. I wasn't as reassured by his comments as I usually am, but it was still good to hear from him.

Its clear the front office has received some heat from angry fans, and that they're concerned it could affect next season's ticket sales.

JD really didn't say anything that we hadn't already known:
- The injuries really did hurt this season (though he didn't harp on this).
- The ownership had OKed adding salary at the trade deadline, but they didn't see any options that didn't hurt the team long-term (trading assets for rentals).
- He alluded to being active in trades "before July 1st". Armstrong has said this, too. I think they're all but spelling out that they hope to make a trade of picks/prospects for players with this season's draft picks.

Did I miss anything? I think there were at least two horrible Islander breakaway/odd-man rushes while he was up there.

I think the Blues are going to trade for Richard's negotiating rights. I know on other boards people are stoked for Parise, but I don't see how New Jersey lets him get away. Dallas on the other hand is in a tough financial situation. (cough cough)

Old
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Linus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think the Blues are going to trade for Richard's negotiating rights. I know on other boards people are stoked for Parise, but I don't see how New Jersey lets him get away. Dallas on the other hand is in a tough financial situation. (cough cough)
What are the chances that we're able to trade for his rights? And if they do acquire his rights, what are the chances he signs here? I don't know much about the whole Richards situation, but I keep hearing the Rangers mentioned when Richards is discussed, and they definitely have the money to sign him. It would suck if the Blues were able to trade for his rights but were unable to sign him.

I too would love Parise in a Blues uniform, he's one of my favorite players in the league. But like you said, NJ will hang onto him and he'll probably be the next captain.

I'd love for the Blues to get a game-changer in the off-season, but everything just seems like a pipe dream to me at this point.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Richards would be fantastic. Top center, leadership, PPG player and has cup experience? Ya I'd love to get him, it seems unlikely. I thought that's why they traded Neal? They had Benn to replace him and it frees up money. We'd need this ownership fiasco to be resolved though.

It's to bad Armstrong stepped down before Dallas acquired Richards or that would be some great leverage.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
fan in oregon

the name stillman rings a bell tell me a little about him. my advise to any owner interested in the blues make a deal with the league we get martin st.louis they did it for the bruce mc.nall when the league gave him wayne gretzky for a boat load of picks and players do the same for the blues. say halak, oshie, taranseko and some picks over next few years for st.louis and levalcalier. those 2 will put people in the seats and probably in the playoffs the blues would still have the likes of backes, stewart and perron to put pucks in the net on defense we would still be adequet and we would go bishop and allen in goal. i know if and when we make major like that then other people who dont care about hockey would defintely put down there cell phones and watch those 2 play

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:04 PM
MissouriBlues2008

I didn't see this posted yet
Beer distributor seeks to purchase Blues

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
I didn't see this posted yet
Beer distributor seeks to purchase Blues
See response 109.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Another twist in the saga?

http://truehockey.com/articles/Blues...n-Selling-Team

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Was there some new information here I missed? This wasn't one of Strickland's better efforts.