HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Coyotes - 3/3/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Vic Vinegar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
That's almost like having 3 guys who score 20 goals, but if all 3 of those guys were "bi-winners" ......they win here and they win there....

^^^ new victory song?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The gun on a policemans hip never makes anyone stop what their doing. Especially when a policeman pulls it out and orders someone to freeze.

Penner being on the team gave the dirtdogs something else to focus on (an example would be the pic of Bryz looking up at Penner as the puck was going between his legs). Saying otherwise is quite literally a contradiction.

Did Penz score a goal or get an assist? No, was he an effective player? How can anyone say otherwise.

Have we seen his best? I can imagine so.

But gahead gahead, have fun finding other things to whine about. The team ins't perfect but it did get better. Still a ways to go but I haven't seen anyone saying that we were perfect at this point.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
The gun on a policemans hip never makes anyone stop what their doing. Especially when a policeman pulls it out and orders someone to freeze.
But gahead gahead, have fun finding other things to whine about. The team ins't perfect but it did get better. Still a ways to go but I haven't seen anyone saying that we were perfect at this point.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:55 PM
lak4ever

I thought Ponikarovsky had a great game as well.

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Cruel11
IRemember&IDemand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Love this gif

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
The Kings are a defense-first team, even more so than last season because they're not scoring as much as they did a year ago. This is how they're going to have to win games - with positioning, getting possession of the puck and breaking out of their zone properly no matter how long it takes to do so, blocking shots, clogging up the middle and keeping attackers to the outside, making liberal use of their F3 forward, etc etc. The Kings aren't going to win by making the game a track meet. They don't have the personnel to do that. Last night's game is likely going to be the model that Murray will use for the rest of the season in practices and video.
Only on the PP are they scoring less.

Goals Scored Per Game 5-on-5
10-11: 1.88 (12th in NHL)
09-10: 1.77 (19th in NHL)

The Kings are an above average team offensivly (5-on-5). It's their drop off in PP scoring, versus last year, that's skewing the stats. This year LA is only averaging .53 5-on-4 goals scored per game (20th in NHL), while last year they averaged .68 (5th in NHL).

Last edited by johnjm22: 03-04-2011 at 03:46 PM.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

10-11: 1.88 (19th in NHL)
09-10: 1.77 (12th in NHL)

The Kings are an above average team offensivly (5-on-5). It's their drop off in PP scoring, versus last year, that's skewing the stats. This year LA is only averaging .53 5-on-4 goals scored per game (20th in NHL), while last year they averaged .68 (5th in NHL).
What's this ? using STATS against the Stats guy's argument ? but ... but ... but, you can't do THAT !

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:27 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

#winning

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

10-11: 1.88 (19th in NHL)
09-10: 1.77 (12th in NHL)

... Good call. It looks like the Kings have dropped relative to the rest of the league in 5-on-5 scoring, even though they've improved their numbers from last season.

And regardless of why they're scoring fewer goals on the PP, the fact of the matter is that they are, and unless and until that gets better, they're going to have less margin for error - which means more of a conservative, defense-first philosophy than ever before.

As I've said in the past, I believe PP% is like the tide, and that at any point the tide will rise and goals will be scored on a more regular basis. It's not like the team is doing anything differently, or incorrectly. Maybe the PP will heat up in the playoffs, like it did last season. When you're talking about a period of time as small as two minutes, every lucky or unlucky break becomes more of a factor. I don't think they've had the bounces go their way as much as they did last season. All the team can do at this point to remedy the PP is to stay patient, keep creating chances, and not get discouraged.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Good call. It looks like the Kings have dropped relative to the rest of the league in 5-on-5 scoring, even though they've improved their numbers from last season.
I got the rankings mixed up. This year LA is 12th in 5-on-5 scoring (1.88), and last year they were 19th in 5-on-5 scoring (1.77).

There has been some discussion on whether or not this team has improved over last year. Many on this board (during the poor home stand) claimed they had "regressed," and referred to the teams' poor goals-scored-per-game stat, which is skewed by the PP. The above fact helps demonstrate that this team has improved in nearly all facets of the game; team offense, team defense, PK, goaltending, ect.

^
And that's why I think this team is simply a good PP away from being a contender, not a 30 goal scoring LWer.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Like a lot of you, I suffered through years of Kings teams that were horrible defensively. There's no way I'll ever complain about the "boredom" of seeing the Kings buy in to a defensively responsible mindset and win 1-0 games.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Like a lot of you, I suffered through years of Kings teams that were horrible defensively. There's no way I'll ever complain about the "boredom" of seeing the Kings buy in to a defensively responsible mindset and win 1-0 games.
ain't THAT the truth!!

And I wouldn't call last night's boring - it was tense. It took so much effort just to get a shot off - the game could have easily gone the other way or gone to OT / SO.

PHX is just a very good team (and I'm soooo glad they traded Upshall!). They're maybe gripping their sticks a little tight during this losing streak - they could easily rattle off 6 or more straight wins. I'd rather they win than SJ or Ana.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:08 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Holier than thou jargon.

While sound defense makes my heart warm and fuzzy, no one can deny the difference in the adrenaline rush of an exciting hockey game versus a game of chess played on skates.

People confuse a good defensive game with a boring one all the time, but these are not mutually inclusive terms. I have seen plenty of thrilling defensive battles. Last not was not one of those thrilling defensive battles. Ultimately we all love hockey, in part, for the adrenaline rush of a fast paced game that involves speed, skill and brutality. When a game doesn't include all of those base factors, we will always be left wanting a little more. Not as a "I want the Kings to do well" fan, but as a "I've loved watching hockey since I was a little kid" fan.

Stop confusing "boring" with "unsatisfactory". Last night was boring, but satisfying enough.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:13 PM
wicker

I'm glad we got the win, but the day we fire Murray and crew, and hire a coach who understands the new NHL, is going to be a wonderful day.

If we go into next year with...

Penner-Kopi-Williams
Smyth-Schenn/Lokti-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmer
Rich-Lewis-Cliche

And still play the same system we play today, then that would be utterly depressing.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Holier than thou jargon.

While sound defense makes my heart warm and fuzzy, no one can deny the difference in the adrenaline rush of an exciting hockey game versus a game of chess played on skates.

People confuse a good defensive game with a boring one all the time, but these are not mutually inclusive terms. I have seen plenty of thrilling defensive battles. Last not was not one of those thrilling defensive battles. Ultimately we all love hockey, in part, for the adrenaline rush of a fast paced game that involves speed, skill and brutality. When a game doesn't include all of those base factors, we will always be left wanting a little more. Not as a "I want the Kings to do well" fan, but as a "I've loved watching hockey since I was a little kid" fan.

Stop confusing "boring" with "unsatisfactory". Last night was boring, but satisfying enough.
Oh please. Jargon? Where's the "jargon"? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Holier than thou?

I'm to "stop confusing boring with unsatisfactory" at your command?

Who's being "holier than thou"?

Seems to me you are rattling off a whole lot of words to make ... what kind of criticism are you trying to make exactly?

I'd rather see a bunch of 1-0 games than be utterly disgusted like I used to be, at the Kings former sieve-like defense. That's all.

Is there truly any reason why that must offend you?

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

Penner being on the team gave the dirtdogs something else to focus on (an example would be the pic of Bryz looking up at Penner as the puck was going between his legs). Saying otherwise is quite literally a contradiction.

Did Penz score a goal or get an assist? No, was he an effective player? How can anyone say otherwise.

Have we seen his best? I can imagine so.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote