HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[OTT/CHI] Campoli To Chicago with cond 7th for cond 2nd rounder and Ryan Potulny

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2011, 08:56 AM
  #176
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
19 year old goalies should play junior hockey.



Foligno is currently in his third NHL season and his progression has been minimal at best. Coling Greening started the game as the first line left winger yesterday. Foligno was on the third line. What does that tell you about Foligno's game? And please don't insult me by saying we were spreading the offense.

And 6 goals and 19 points in 28 AHL games is not NHL ready.
A player not doing well in the ahl does not mean there not ahl ready aslo a player doing well in the ahl does not mean there nhl ready.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:56 AM
  #177
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

Ok, so because Lehner played 8 NHL games this year, it means we have rushed him?
More along the lines of it took too long with his injury and then the call ups, visa issues, Leclaire's status, Brodeurs status, Brust's status. Just did not play a lot of games (still hasn't) considering the plan was for him to be all year as the go-to guy in AHL.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
  #178
The King of Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
More along the lines of it took too long with his injury and then the call ups, visa issues, Leclaire's status, Brodeurs status, Brust's status. Just did not play a lot of games (still hasn't) considering the plan was for him to be all year as the go-to guy in AHL.
That was never the plan. We wouldn't have re-signed Brodeur if it was.

Lehner was meant to be the backup in Bingo, and push for his playing time.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
  #179
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
We'll have 9D if we draft Larsson.

I'm not 100% convinced both Runblad and Cowen will be on the opening day roster next year. Don't matter what Murray says, hell, he was saying Cowen was ready for the NHL last summer (which was ridiculous.)

There's just too many d-men around and having Cowen in the AHL to start the year wouldn't be a disaster.
Yup it does matter what Murray has to say, and Cowen was very close last year. He definitely wasn't the worse defenceman in camp, but given all the veterans the Sens had, it was the right choice to give him big time minutes in Junior.

This year Cowen will be on the Sens out of training camp, as will Rundbald, only a major catastophe will prevent it.

IMO Kuba will be moved, or bought out, he is just too expensive. Lee might also be traded, though I would hope the Sens keep him.

I expect the following 7 to be on the Sens out of camp next season:
Phillips, Gonchar, Lee, Cowen, Karlsson, Rundblad, Carkner.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
  #180
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Yup it does matter what Murray has to say, and Cowen was very close last year. He definitely wasn't the worse defenceman in camp, but given all the veterans the Sens had, it was the right choice to give him big time minutes in Junior.

This year Cowen will be on the Sens out of training camp, as will Rundbald, only a major catastophe will prevent it.

IMO Kuba will be moved, or bought out, he is just too expensive. Lee might also be traded, though I would hope the Sens keep him.

I expect the following 7 to be on the Sens out of camp next season:
Phillips, Gonchar, Lee, Cowen, Karlsson, Rundblad, Carkner.
From all accounts it's quite likely that Ottawa won't be that good next season & could very easily be a lottery team again. If that turns out to be true it would make more sense to keep Kuba in the lineup & trade him at next yr's trade deadline since he will be a UFA & hopefully will get Ottawa something in return for him. Also keeping one of Cowen or Rundblad in the minors won't hurt their development. In fact, I would say they would benefit from it & it saves Ottawa one yr on their entry level contract which could benefit Ottawa in future. Same reason they sent Lehner back to Bingo so that he wouldn't play more than 9 games this yr.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
  #181
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Monaco
Posts: 14,513
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
19 year old goalies should play junior hockey.
Lehner played junior hockey and was probably too good for it. It was time to jump pro, which he did. Unfortunately, in Ottawa, we always have weak/injured goalies.

Lehner wouldn't have played NHL hockey (maybe 1 game) if Leclaire AND Brodeur weren't injured almost all season. And Brust doesn't have a 2-way contract...

Don't tell me you can't see that

Quote:
Foligno is currently in his third NHL season and his progression has been minimal at best. Coling Greening started the game as the first line left winger yesterday. Foligno was on the third line. What does that tell you about Foligno's game? And please don't insult me by saying we were spreading the offense.

And 6 goals and 19 points in 28 AHL games is not NHL ready.
Ok, so you're telling me that stats is what makes prospects NHL ready or not? lol

Foligno was ready physically. Yes, we could have taken more time with him but he still played 1 FULL year in junior after being drafted. He also started in Bingo the following year but injuries occur and he was basically the only decent forward prospect (thanks to marvelous drafting) that we could have called-up. He only played half a season in his first year (45 games) and didn't look out of place. Although, he wasn't getting a lot of ice-time with all those veterans in place...

Ryan O'Reilly
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=105153

Ryan made the Avs out of camp after being drafted. Foligno had 1.5 years more. Good try though

By the way, it is an "audition" period actually and Clouston is the coach. Just those 2 facts scream to me to not take too much in consideration that Greening started on Spezza's LW and not Foligno... We already know what we have with Foligno. A solid 3rd line winger and possibly a 2nd line LWer later in his career.

PS : Brian Lee was more "rushed" as he is a D-man and was a long-term project. But we had 2 problems with that :

- No prospect depht at all, he was the only D-man prospect that could play in the NHL
- Brian had the big head (it seems) and didn't like to be in Bingo. He thought he was too good to be there (speculation) and Bingo fans weren't liking him either... Where else could we have been playing him? Maybe we should have traded him back then. But in the end, it took a lot of time and he looks decent today (not 9th overall though)

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.