HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

new pp setup

Old
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
murdoq

vCash: 500
new pp setup

now that we have boyes who looks pretty good around the net, do you think we will see vanek on the halfwall on the pp soon and boyes in front of the net?

i always thought tv could be good there with his shot and his passing. he may not be the most creative guy but he is smart with the puck.

murdoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I want Vanek and Boyes in front TC on the wall Myers at the point, as for the 5th guy whom ever can hold onto the puck that night....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:14 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

boyes vanek pominville

sekera myers

---------------------------------------------
ennis connolly stafford

leopold montador.

1st unit

This unit is made of our 30+ goal scorers.
Pominville will be able to get into defensive pockets and find shooting lanes. Myers and Sekera are the best tandem we have had in a long time. teams will have to take away pominvilles shooting lane. so boyes will be able to give vanek more time. both defensemen are a threat to rush the zone

2nd unit

stafford and ennis are hardworking. connolly is very good at getting the puck to the point at the most opportunistic time.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 03-04-2011 at 12:32 AM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoq View Post
now that we have boyes who looks pretty good around the net, do you think we will see vanek on the halfwall on the pp soon and boyes in front of the net?

i always thought tv could be good there with his shot and his passing. he may not be the most creative guy but he is smart with the puck.
It remains to be seen if Boyes has the kind of hand-eye coordination that Vanek does in deflections, or if he's physically strong enough to take the kind of poundings in front of the net that Vanek does.

From the scouting reports I've read about Boyes, he's proven to be most effective during power plays by firing one-timers from either faceoff circle similar to how Pominville has sometimes been used.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
boyes vanek pominville

sekera myers

---------------------------------------------
ennis connolly stafford

leopold montador.

1st unit

This unit is made of our 30+ goal scorers.
Pominville will be able to get into defensive pockets and find shooting lanes. Myers and Sekera are the best tandem we have had in a long time. teams will have to take away pominvilles shooting lane. so boyes will be able to give vanek more time. both defensemen are a threat to rush the zone

2nd unit

stafford and ennis are hardworking. connolly is very good at getting the puck to the point at the most opportunistic time.
With the addition of Boyes, I'm ready to dump Poms from the 1st PP unit (or possibly entirely). I think you need one of Ennis and Connolly on each unit, at the half-wall. They are the only forwards who can handle the puck in tight traffic and get it back to the point or on net (in before Connolly bashing). For the same reason, I don't want them both on the same unit.

With Leopold out, I'd do:

1st Unit:
Boyes-Vanek-Ennis
Butler-Myers

2nd Unit:
Poms-Goose-Stafford
Sekera-Montador

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
With the addition of Boyes, I'm ready to dump Poms from the 1st PP unit (or possibly entirely). r

your lines look good to me

boyes vanek and ennis would be effective.

I think that pominville is capable of scoring a lot of goals on the powerplay. Now that we have myers, pominville would get the puck more by being off the blue line. we need a shooter on the right side to pull the defensemen off vanek. pominville has a high caliber shot and i believe pittsburgh would use kovalev like this.

Often times the point men are covered or the shot doesn't get through and it's a complete waste of time for someone with jasons talent. From the circle he is automatic and vanek ain't exactly sitting in a beach chair.

second line

ennis could create a lot of chances for connolly (something tim needs for a change). these players all play a flashy game.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 03-04-2011 at 06:10 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I'm far less worried about what the lines are than the actual PP strategy itself. Remove the drop pass, remove the 4 guys wait on the line for one guy to carry it in. Do anything else. ANYTHING. Chip it in and race to the corner, Flying-V, I don't care what you do, just stop those. They don't work.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
I'm far less worried about what the lines are than the actual PP strategy itself. Remove the drop pass, remove the 4 guys wait on the line for one guy to carry it in. Do anything else. ANYTHING. Chip it in and race to the corner, Flying-V, I don't care what you do, just stop those. They don't work.
If only that would happen - Ruff seems to still be infatuated with that drop-pass play he borrowed from Detroit 2 years ago, even though it works about 2% of the time. The problem is that there really is no "strategy" or system of attack - Ruff puts all of the onus on the one puck-carrier, while the other 4 players are rendered useless. Combine that reality with the fact the Sabres don't have many creative players on the current roster for PP duty and it seems destined to remain a problem into next year.

It's another reason I'm praying that Richards can be signed - he's proven to be a catalyst from the point, not so much for his shot as for his vision, passing ability and creativity.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote