HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs Vancouver; Quick will start; Williams on the 1st line

Old
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

vCash: 500
I'm fine with it. This decision serves 2 purposes, it reinforces Quick as the #1 to the team, but he better not stink it up. If he does poorly, it'll give TM a reason to play Bernier even more. Quick has not played well over his last 5 starts, whereas Bernier has. It's time for Quick to reverse the trend if he's going to be our playoff starter, if we make it. Bernier will get some starts before the regular season is over, I'm sure.

I'm just glad that if we do get into the playoffs, we won't be forced to start a goaltender who was completely leaking oil by game 82. Regardless of the reasons you might think it happened, it did and that's all that matters. This year, the team has viable options. Let's hope that one or both of these guys can play well down the stretch and into the playoffs.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Glad Murray gave that first line about two periods to see what it could do before panicking again and doubting his own judgment. And once again, he breaks up his most consistent line. How ridiculous.
Or maybe he realized Simmonds had no business being on that first line to begin with ? though I agree with you that he should keep the Geezer line in tact, which means moving Brown ... you know our no-hockey-sense-LEADING GOAL SCORER back on the top line ...

as it SHOULD be ...

Penner - Kopitar - Brown
Smyth - Stoll - Williams
Ponikarovsky - Handzus - Simmonds
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson/Westgarth

those are PLAYOFF lines ! though you could flip Ponikarovsky/Richardson around too to give the 4th line a little more Vet experience, whateva

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I personally would put Brown on the 2nd line. He's had chemistry with Stoll in the past and Simmonds has played well with Handzus. I also think the 4th line has been playing great and would like to keep them together. Put Richardson on the 3rd line with Handuzs and Simmonds.

I don't really care which goalie plays but since Quick is the #1, he should get the start. I don't see where the contraversy is there.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Quick has not played well over his last 5 starts
... Quick hasn't played well for the last two months.

1137 minutes, 10-8-1, 2.48 GAA, 457 saves out of 504 shots, .907 Sv%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Or maybe he realized Simmonds had no business being on that first line to begin with ?
... After 40 minutes??? That's a bit premature, don't you think?

So, if the new first line doesn't score after 40 minutes, it'll be changed around again? I doubt it. Williams is a veteran, Simmonds is a young player; so I'd imagine Murray sticks with Williams longer, just because of that. It's shortsighted and stupid, but that's the way it is.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:

Out of curiosity.. what are his #'s with the Detroit game excluded?

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
... Glad Murray gave that first line about two periods to see what it could do before panicking again and doubting his own judgment. And once again, he breaks up his most consistent line. How ridiculous.
(emphasis mine)

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the Smyth-Stoll-Williams line. If not, then please disregard this comment.

That line hasn't produced since Feb 12. Granted there was a four game hiatus when they were broken up but even prior to that they weren't exactly the GAG line. Going back to the Phoenix loss on January 20 that line had only produced 6-13-19 in a total of 14 games played. And like I said previously the entirety of those goals came prior to Feb 12.

(Special thanks to JDM for his lineup tracker on lakingsnews.com letting me know when the line was recently together)

Chruceg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I'm not sure it really matters. What happened happened and it got recorded. Berniers stats would be different also if you take out the Philadelphia game, but you cant and you have to live with it.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
I'm pretty sure you're referring to the Smyth-Stoll-Williams line. If not, then please disregard this comment.

That line hasn't produced since Feb 12.
... Regardless of that - which line has been more consistent all season than that one? Even with the gap in production, it's still the most consistent line on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
... Why stop there? Why not throw out all of his bad starts? Damn his numbers would look like a Hall of Famer, wouldn't they?

Quick was actually better in February than he was in January (4-6, .906 Sv%). Which games should we throw out there?

Old
03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Whiskeypete

Murray either has a lack of confidence issue or A-D-D, since he can't seem to stick with a decision

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
... Regardless of that - which line has been more consistent all season than that one? Even with the gap in production, it's still the most consistent line on the team.
Well it's kind of interesting because prior to the game on Jan 20 they hadn't played together since Jan 3, a span of seven games. Once they were put together again they went on a small tear scoring their six goals in the span of nine games. Then they went cold. This is all speculation but maybe after they've been apart for a few games they go back to doing what is important (shooting the puck, not over passing),

Chruceg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
wicker

The sad truth is, that Simmonds should have never been on that first line. While some may cringe, it should be a steady rotation of Williams and Brown, since Simmonds simply is not fit for that role.

I'm glad that Williams is moved up, and while I'm not thrilled with putting Quick against the Nucks, I can understand the reasoning behind it. I guess it's only fair to give him a chance to respond to Bernier's performance, and to prove to himself and the team that he is number one.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Simmonds can't hold down the first line role. What he can do is be a short term holdover to provide a spark when things go flat. He should not be relied upon to be a consistent first line player because that is not his skill set or talent level.

Williams is our best right winger and should be the most consistent 1st line RWer. It drives me insane how little he plays with Kopitar.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Ollie Weeks

I liked the Smyth Stoll Brown combo; it was an effective, lunch-pail line. Simmonds should really, really, just be put back on the 3rd line and shift Willy up to the 1st for good.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:49 PM
kingjimbo*

like williams with penner, need the speed.

still need more speed,richards is perfect. pray for in the off-season

schenn-kopitar-williams
penner-richards-brown
smyth-stoll-simmonds
clifford-lewis-richie

that would be a real competitor

kingjimbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboking View Post
like williams with penner, need the speed.

still need more speed,richards is perfect. pray for in the off-season

schenn-kopitar-williams
penner-richards-brown
smyth-stoll-simmonds
clifford-lewis-richie

that would be a real competitor
I don't wanna be the party blooper here......... but why is Richardson playing double shift and Pony and Handzus are in the press box.
I assume you didn't mean the Dallas Richards because our cap wouldn't allow that.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Simmonds can't hold down the first line role. What he can do is be a short term holdover to provide a spark when things go flat. He should not be relied upon to be a consistent first line player because that is not his skill set or talent level.
... Not buying it. Simmonds created two of the four best chances the Kings had last night, first one was the centering pass to Penner that created a rebound for Kopitar that was nearly put in, then he got a shot on net from the right wing that produced enough of a rebound for Mitchell to get a subsequent shot and Smyth to attempt a stuff shot on a loose puck in front of Bryzgalov.

Simmonds can be top six for sure, he has the skills and the talent. What he does not have is a coach that will give him any kind of real opportunity. Whether his niche is the first line or the second line, that is impossible to determine at this stage, but I'm convinced that given the ice time and opportunity, he is a 25-30 goal scorer right now. He's scored 27 goals at even strength over the last two seasons (keeping in mind that this season isn't over yet), while playing about 14 minutes a game. This man is the real deal.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Just because Simmonds didn't go top cheese last night doesn't mean he doesn't belong on the top line. I'm sure it was unbeknownst to Simmer that he only had two periods to work with Penner-Kopi or else he'd be sent back to go play with Ponikarovsky. There is no doubt in my line that a Penner-Kopi-Simmonds line would find a way to click rather quickly, but thats just what Terry Murray does and we all have to deal with it.

However, I will say this.. If theres one guy I would put on the top unit in place of Simmonds it would indeed be Justin Williams. At least it isn't Dustin Brown. You have to keep Brown and Kopitar away from each other at all costs.

Old
03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
I'm in favor of the change with Williams. You need someone with good puck handling skills to compliment Kopitar and Penner on that line. Simmonds isn't that player.
I'm in favor of the change too but Williams is not a good puck handler (way too many turnovers), and Simmonds is actualy very strong on the puck. I think Williams works for different reasons. Williams brings speed and the ability to "pick it" while the other two are strong at cycling and possesion.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:04 PM
no name

Quote:

Those are skewed stats. Prior to the last games Quick had won 9 out of 10 games and was the hottest goalie on the planet. What does the games before that have anything to do with his current level of play. The only benefit of those skewed stats are to push an agenda.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Duc620

Quote:
.... Simmonds can be top six for sure, he has the skills and the talent. What he does not have is a coach that will give him any kind of real opportunity. Whether his niche is the first line or the second line, that is impossible to determine at this stage...
He still has to show complete commitment and consistency to earn a spot on the first or second line and stay there. He's a young player. Compare the first two months of the season with Feb. Like you say about his niche, " impossible to determine at this stage...".

So you put a vet there because you reduce the chances of a defensive lapse or error in pivotal moments of the game. Simmonds had the whole summer, a preseason and camp, and the first three months of the year to claim a spot and big minutes on the top line. He's just not there yet. A coach has to respect the efforts and play of all the players. You let young players make mistakes that lose shifts in the first 50 games of the year - not in the last 30.

Just my 2 cents.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Those are skewed stats. Prior to the last games Quick had won 9 out of 10 games and was the hottest goalie on the planet. What does the games before that have anything to do with his current level of play. The only benefit of those skewed stats are to push an agenda.
Okay.

And prior to those games he was 1-6.

Old
03-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
I don't wanna be the party blooper here......... but why is Richardson playing double shift and Pony and Handzus are in the press box.
I assume you didn't mean the Dallas Richards because our cap wouldn't allow that.
You must be missing something. Poniboy and Zeus are free agents. The cap will go up just like always so it IS possible.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:45 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Meh, if Quick messes up, both he and TM will look really bad. But I'm confident is both goalies.

Hopefully we barrel roll all the way to a victory!

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Those are skewed stats.
... With all due respect, the hell they are.

For the first two months of the season, Quick played about as well as a man can play. He was a number one in every sense of the term. On top of that, Bernier was clearly struggling with the backup role.

But for the last two months, his overall body of work is not impressive. As much as I am a fan of Bernier, and as happy as I am that Bernier has improved his play - I don't want to see Quick fail. It doesn't bring me pleasure to see the team get beat because (among other things) Quick didn't happen to play well. I don't need to make up or skew numbers to further an "agenda". My agenda is I want to see the team win, and that the most deserving players get to play in order to help the team win.

Quick's save percentage over the last two months is .907. Do you know what it was last season? Also .907. So, the question is this - was that the real Jonathan Quick we saw over the first two months of this season, or was it the last two months? I'm glad to see him get the start tomorrow, because that's the only way we're going to find out. It is my opinion that, for the first time since Quick was named the number one, his role is in some jeopardy. And, I also think that Quick's well aware of this. The pressure is on. How will he respond?

Old
03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I just saw the new lines. Maybe I am the only one that thought Simmonds played well last night and I should watch the game on TV. Live, he looked good. I thought he was better than Kopitar for most of the night. Murray said Simmonds wasn't moving his feet? Er...that was Kopi.

In any event, this is our coach. It's what he does. Lightning in a bottle. Ever seen a 65 year old man with ADHD? I have. Who cares. Let's keep winning.

edit: Jesus, am I seeing this right? He is putting Westgarth in? Someone tell me I am wrong here. For the love of everything sane, our fourth line was awesome and has been so.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote