HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

regier said bigger names bigger contracts...any idea who?

Old
03-04-2011, 10:01 PM
madman7k

vCash: 500
regier said bigger names bigger contracts...any idea who?

who do you think regier was taking about when he said. we talked to teams about bigger names and bigger contracts? he also said he would talk to those gms again about those players come draft time. my guess would be san jose joe pavelski. they will have cap issues this offseason and have to sign couture next year. i also think he talked with colorado about stastny. they may think duchesne is their future #1 center and stastny may not be happy there anymore and want to be moved. philly is another one richards or carter. now i can't really see philly moving either of them but hey, who knows. they too may have some cap issues.

madman7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I heard they made an offer for Spezza, and he fits the criteria Darcy mentioned - injuries, contract 5 years, etc

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:11 PM
fightclubber25

they cant worry about that, they need to fucus on how theyre going to re-sign mike grier tim connolly and rob niedermayer. heart and soul baby

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I heard they made an offer for Spezza, and he fits the criteria Darcy mentioned - injuries, contract 5 years, etc
I heard the same thing. Where there's smoke...

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
they cant worry about that, they need to fucus on how theyre going to re-sign mike grier tim connolly and rob niedermayer. heart and soul baby
this is likely Rob's and Grier's last year and Connolly is a FA AS OF 7/1

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:32 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Yuck... hope this doesn't come up again in the offseason, I loathe Spezza.

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:44 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Regier just means...
Bigger names.... More than 11 letters
Bigger contracts ... Printed on posterboard

He fools us all again

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:04 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

The only name that immediately comes to mind is Stastny.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:08 AM
aceface33

Quote:
No way I give Ottawa the Ennis/Kassian/whatever they'd want for Spezza.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabathia View Post
I heard the same thing. Where there's smoke...
Sounds more like polluted hot air than smoke. The Sens are even thinner at center than the Sabres. Regin, Smith, and Winchester are their 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers in no particular order. The Sens can't afford to deal Spezza without getting at least another good center back. The only one the Sabres have to offer is injured. Then there's the issue of persuading Spezza to waive his NTC.

I can see the Sens doing another big deal with the Sharks if San Jose doesn't make it to the finals. Spezza will be reunited with Heatley and Thornton moves closer to home.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I would absolutely love to pick up Spezza in the off-season. A top line of Vanek-Spezza-Pominville would be solid.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 01:22 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
No way I give Ottawa the Ennis/Kassian/whatever they'd want for Spezza.
Apparently Ennis was the sticking point.

tbh I'd consider it, and I Love Ennis

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 01:24 AM
Maximrules

more of a question here feel free to answer: was Regier talking about what is to come this offseason or just shedding some light into what he did during the trade deadline?

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Sabretip

There was a report from LeBrun that mentioned a conversation he had with Regier, hinting that he talked with one team about a player but the price was too high at first but that he was going to check again before the deadline ended to see if the price lowered. I don't know why but I had the feeling, given all the rumors about Liles, that he was someone Regier (and Burke) were interested in but the reports from Adrian Dater (Colorado) and Darren Dregehr suggested the Avs wanted a 1st rounder for Liles - which Burke said was too much for the Leafs. I suspect Regier felt the same way. TSN reported that Burke offered a 3rd rounder that Colorado rejected - I wonder if Regier offered the same and the reference to whether the team he was talking to (Colorado) might lower their demand come the 3PM cut-off.

It did sound like Colorado wasn't asking for a player back, which fit the M.O. Regier was working with.

Who knows? With the Liles-Miller factor; Liles being under contract for another season; and the Sabres' PP still lacking a true QB, I could see him being a summer acquisition - especially if the Sabres don't come to terms with Montador and/or deal Sekera/Butler in another trade for a center this summer.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:58 AM
madman7k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
more of a question here feel free to answer: was Regier talking about what is to come this offseason or just shedding some light into what he did during the trade deadline?
both. he had a presser after the deadline and said he tried to make more moves "we talked to teams about acquiring bigger players,longer term,and had good conversations, but in the end it didn't go through we'll make more attempts come the draft.and see whether those or other players like them are available and hopefully beak through"

madman7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Big no on Spezza. The only plus is he'd be on our side and he totally owns Miller for whatever reason.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I would absolutely love to pick up Spezza in the off-season. A top line of Vanek-Spezza-Pominville would be solid.
I'll take that line.

And Ennis-Roy-Boyes as a 2nd.

Staff fits better on a third line than Pominville does, if one of them has to play there.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
I'll take that line.

And Ennis-Roy-Boyes as a 2nd.

Staff fits better on a third line than Pominville does, if one of them has to play there.
So if we traded for Spezza we wouldn't be giving up Stafford or Ennis? What exactly would we be giving up then?

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:20 AM
MillsyMyers30

personally i wouldn't want spezza. i think he's overrated. i wouldn't give up my highly touted prospects for him. he's injury prone

MillsyMyers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillsyMyers30 View Post
personally i wouldn't want spezza. i think he's overrated. i wouldn't give up my highly touted prospects for him. he's injury prone
Have you seen him play? He'd easily best the #1 center on this team even with Roy healthy.

The level of talent he's had to work with since the CASH line days is pretty woeful. I'd love to have him.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:28 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
So if we traded for Spezza we wouldn't be giving up Stafford or Ennis? What exactly would we be giving up then?
The rumored offer was 1st, Adam, Foligno. Ottawa wanted Ennis and that's where the deal fell through. Regier was also rumored to be in on Richards.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Tough to buy into any of this. They're such a clandestine organization, and all of their trades come out of nowhere, and are almost never speculated about before they happen.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:37 AM
MillsyMyers30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Have you seen him play? He'd easily best the #1 center on this team even with Roy healthy.

The level of talent he's had to work with since the CASH line days is pretty woeful. I'd love to have him.
plenty of times. i've been to a lot of sabres vs sens games. i'm not saying he's bad player. i think he's a good player i just wouldn't want him on this team. especially for what we would have t give up. he's not going anywhere. bryan murray has already said spezza, alfredson, and karlsson aren't going. there are so many more better options than him. he actually always tears the sabres apart.

MillsyMyers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
The rumored offer was 1st, Adam, Foligno. Ottawa wanted Ennis and that's where the deal fell through. Regier was also rumored to be in on Richards.
So you're saying Regier offered a 1st, Adam, and Foligno, and the Sens wanted a 1st, Ennis, and Foligno instead? Or Ennis on top of the original offer? I'd give up Ennis in a second for a shot at a first line center (though I'd rather have Stastny than Spezza).

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:14 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
So you're saying Regier offered a 1st, Adam, and Foligno, and the Sens wanted a 1st, Ennis, and Foligno instead? Or Ennis on top of the original offer? I'd give up Ennis in a second for a shot at a first line center (though I'd rather have Stastny than Spezza).
I'd give up Ennis for a good center but not in division and especially not to the Sens.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote