HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Building a Roster for 2011: Step #1. A center

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
  #76
Havok89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelbeforeNeal View Post
Hi, Pens fan here: I think at this juncture we're more likely to trade Staal than Malkin. I think that maybe Staal could benefit from Ruff's coaching.

Would you consider something centered around Stafford + Kassian for Staal? I'm assuming the Pens would have to add.
I wouldnt value Staal that high. I would do Stafford + but Myers/Ennis/Kassian are the future core of this team.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
  #77
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Plus really, how many teams have truly number one centres in their line-up?
Ana-Getzlaf
Bos-Savard(When in)
Chi-Towes
[Col-Stastny
Dal-Richards
Det-Datsyuk
LA-Kopitar
Min-Koivo(Spelling)
Mon-Gionta
NYI-Tavares
Ott-Spezza
Phi-Richards
Pit-Crosby
San-Thornton
Tam-Stamkos
Van-H.Sedin
Was-Backstrom
Those are just a few
Bolded(Teams on the cusp of Playoffs or are contenders)

This team needs better pivots. No question about that. I would love for them to try to get into the top 5 in draft via trade. This team needs to draft CENTERS. We have enough D-men, and wingers.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
  #78
ADoubleD
Registered User
 
ADoubleD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.nickmendola.com/is-it-pos...ttoming-pt-ii/

Nick Mendola looks at this and one thing is very interesting:
How the hell did he leave Getzlaf off that list? I just realized that.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
  #79
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Ana-Getzlaf
Bos-Savard(When in)
Chi-Towes
[Col-Stastny
Dal-Richards
Det-Datsyuk
LA-Kopitar
Min-Koivo(Spelling)
Mon-Gionta
NYI-Tavares
Ott-Spezza
Phi-Richards
Pit-Crosby
San-Thornton
Tam-Stamkos
Van-H.Sedin
Was-Backstrom
Those are just a few
Bolded(Teams on the cusp of Playoffs or are contenders)

This team needs better pivots. No question about that. I would love for them to try to get into the top 5 in draft via trade. This team needs to draft CENTERS. We have enough D-men, and wingers.
FYI, Gionta and Stamkos are wingers (although I think Stamkos was drafted as a center)....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  #80
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
If TB does not have Stamkos signed by july 1, I saw throw a big offer at him, and see if TB is able to match it....

Something like 10 years @ 80 mill

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:47 PM
  #81
Havok89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
If TB does not have Stamkos signed by july 1, I saw throw a big offer at him, and see if TB is able to match it....

Something like 10 years @ 80 mill
They would easily match that

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
  #82
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
How the hell did he leave Getzlaf off that list? I just realized that.
He didn't.

Getazlaf is between Tavares & Kopitar.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
  #83
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Mendola said they were in no particular order, but I'd put Statsny and Mike Richards in over Tavares and Spezza. Spezza isn't the same player he was the three years after the lockout anymore. He's been hurt this year and missed 22 games last year. Not that he couldn't return to his old form, but as of now he doesn't belong in the same conversation as those other guys. Also I'd even argue Mike Richards is better than Carter, but oh well. Mikko Koivu and Claude Giroux are two guys who are also right up there IMO.
And even if you swap out Spezza & Tavares for Statsny & Richards, you are swapping guys out that are with the teams that drafted them for two guys that are on the team that drafted them.

Doesn't change things all that much.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
  #84
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
FYI, Gionta and Stamkos are wingers (although I think Stamkos was drafted as a center)....
Stamkos is a center, and has been for every even strength shift since he entered the league

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:53 PM
  #85
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you
 
SiriusBizinuez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC for now.
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
If TB does not have Stamkos signed by july 1, I saw throw a big offer at him, and see if TB is able to match it....

Something like 10 years @ 80 mill
The only way Stamkos makes it to July 1st is if Stevie Y is dead.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:13 PM
  #86
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
The only way Stamkos makes it to July 1st is if Stevie Y is dead.
Not happening. We all know he would rise from the grave three days later and lead the Bolts to the Cup before ascending.










(Too much?)

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:21 PM
  #87
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you
 
SiriusBizinuez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC for now.
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not happening. We all know he would rise from the grave three days later and lead the Bolts to the Cup before ascending.










(Too much?)
Too much. Everyone on HFBoards knows the only person capable of a feat like that is Anton Babchuk.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:22 PM
  #88
ADoubleD
Registered User
 
ADoubleD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
He didn't.

Getazlaf is between Tavares & Kopitar.
I must have missed it.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
  #89
ADoubleD
Registered User
 
ADoubleD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
He didn't.

Getazlaf is between Tavares & Kopitar.
I guess I just didn't see him then.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
  #90
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1237
I don't understand trading Adam to be honest. That's not a piece we need to be trading right now IMO.

Right wing plus a pick for a C. That's a good starting place.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:56 AM
  #91
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
I don't understand trading Adam to be honest. That's not a piece we need to be trading right now IMO.

Right wing plus a pick for a C. That's a good starting place.
I don't know that Adam is good enough to consider unmoveable.

Kassian has physicality that Adam doesn't.

Adam has the size and scoring skill to be a #1 center, but he's lacking in skating, stickhandling and passing, not to mention defensive acumen. I doubt he's ever a top 6 center, though I'd be ecstatic if he was.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
  #92
matthew94
Registered User
 
matthew94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WNY
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to matthew94
What about....

Pominville
Adam
Morrisonne
Butler
2nd

for

Stastny
Liles

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
  #93
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew94 View Post
What about....

Pominville
Adam
Morrisonne
Butler
2nd

for

Stastny
Liles
In a heartbeat. Colorado does not return our call.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:58 PM
  #94
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
In a heartbeat. Colorado does not return our call.
Yea agree, that's like saying Pominviile and Adam and a 2nd for Stastny .... No and never, not enough.

Morrisonn and Butler for Liles .... No and never, not enough.

Add Hecht, and Connolly and a 1st and now you're closer. But that still may be not be enough.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
  #95
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I don't know that Adam is good enough to consider unmoveable.

Kassian has physicality that Adam doesn't.

Adam has the size and scoring skill to be a #1 center, but he's lacking in skating, stickhandling and passing, not to mention defensive acumen. I doubt he's ever a top 6 center, though I'd be ecstatic if he was.
Simply because he's a center. We have a shortage of those.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
  #96
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
Simply because he's a center. We have a shortage of those.
He's been a C/LW tweener since juniors.

He has the size and all that to play center, but it's still to be determined if he can develop the defensive game to play there full time.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:35 AM
  #97
matthew94
Registered User
 
matthew94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WNY
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
In a heartbeat. Colorado does not return our call.
I think it has the potential to provoke a conversation.

Stastny, since 06-07 has 102 goals, 212 assists (314 points)
Pominville, since 06-07 has 122 goals, 192 assists (314 points)

314 equals 314

Granted, Stastny is 3 years younger and a center, which is why I included Luke Adam (a potential top 6 center) and a 2nd round draft pick. Seems reasonable to me, especially considering Pominville saves them over a million per season.

Morrisonne & Butler (who played college in Denver) are 2 NHL d-men (both younger than Liles) and would also save them some money and allow them to get something for him before he becomes a UFA. Reports are they were close to trading him for a 2nd at the deadline (held out for a 1st), 2 NHL'ers has got to be close in value.

So, I think it's a reasonable offer. Now, they might come back and ask for the 2nd to become a 1st or try to find a way to include Enroth, but I think it'd be a conversation.

I think people underestimate Pominville's trade value. Look what the Oilers got for Penner. Is Pominville inferior to Penner? Same age. Since 06-07 Penner has 1 more goal than Jason, but EIGHTY-THREE less assists!


Last edited by matthew94: 03-08-2011 at 12:42 AM.
matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:54 AM
  #98
mkoster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
The only Center that intrigues me on 7/1 is Brad Richards but will be at a cost of a bidding war with teams like the leafs and rangers and will most likely overpay.

The route I can see us taking is the trade route and would seriously look into the Spezza idea the cost would probably start with our 2011 1st+

I would imagine a deal centered around


C Jason Spezza

For


2011 1st Round Pick
C Luke Adam
Condtional 1st/2nd

If that's a type of deal that would land Spezza, Darcy has to pull the trigger.

With Spezza and Roy as Top 6 Centers and possibly with Connolly re-signing gives us three versitile Centers that gives Ruff to run his three scoring lines.

Other Notable Centers VIA Trade to look into:
C Paul Stastny - Obviously with the re-tooling their doing in Colorado
C Vincent Lecavlier - With Stamkos due for a raise and with the lack of production at the price he's being paid a change of scenery could be an option
C Jeff Carter - Philly has a boatload of cash invested in their Center position and is looking into financial trouble when it comes to the cap in the next few years could be an option that could be dealt to free up cap space

mkoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:24 AM
  #99
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoster View Post
The only Center that intrigues me on 7/1 is Brad Richards but will be at a cost of a bidding war with teams like the leafs and rangers and will most likely overpay.

The route I can see us taking is the trade route and would seriously look into the Spezza idea the cost would probably start with our 2011 1st+

I would imagine a deal centered around


C Jason Spezza

For


2011 1st Round Pick
C Luke Adam
Condtional 1st/2nd

If that's a type of deal that would land Spezza, Darcy has to pull the trigger.

With Spezza and Roy as Top 6 Centers and possibly with Connolly re-signing gives us three versitile Centers that gives Ruff to run his three scoring lines.

Other Notable Centers VIA Trade to look into:
C Paul Stastny - Obviously with the re-tooling their doing in Colorado
C Vincent Lecavlier - With Stamkos due for a raise and with the lack of production at the price he's being paid a change of scenery could be an option
C Jeff Carter - Philly has a boatload of cash invested in their Center position and is looking into financial trouble when it comes to the cap in the next few years could be an option that could be dealt to free up cap space
For that package, Ottawa would rather keep Spezza.
They have plenty of cap space and they need at least one legitimate center.
The window for trading him has already closed, as he was up for trade until the Sens paid his signing bonus last summer.
I don't see why Statsny would be moved either.

Yzerman has already stated that he isn't trading Lecavalier.
Tampa Bay has a new owner who is committed and nearly $15m coming off of their cap this summer, in addition to their nearly $10m in existing space.
Don't forget the $2-3m projected additional cap space after this season either.

Philly only has imaginary cap problems and if anything, they would bury some of their stupid contracts (Shelley) or trade one of their second pairing defenders.
Briere would be the first center moved if they had to, as Carter is signed to a better contract and is younger.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:30 AM
  #100
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
To Pittsburgh: Stafford, Hecht (more to make the salary work than anything else), Adam, 1st rounder 2011, 1st rounder 2012.
To Buffalo: Malkin

To be fair, one of the 1st's could be swapped out for Kassian or Ennis if they wanted. Really depends on what Pittsburgh would want.
That seriously empties the cupboard. Look, we're the team that can afford to throw a contract at someone now and not give up the farm. Why not try that first?

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.