HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers @ Ottawa Senators 3/4/11

Old
03-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
The difference between this game and the last couple? The puck found the back of the net because the good guys got some breaks.

Prospal's goal? Good break for the Rangers.

Zuccarello's goal? Good break for the Rangers (rebound laying down right on his stick).

This team is a legitimate playoff team, if not a legitimate Cup contender, that Torts has playing consistently, despite what a lot of people around here think. The effort is there every single night, but sometimes the bounces are not, and this team doesn't have enough skill to win when the breaks are going the other way, hence the inconsistency in the outcome of the games. This is a frustrating situation to be in for sure, but prepare yourself to continue to be on the rollercoaster if you're the bi-polar type because this isn't going to change unless they get a serious injection of impact skill somehow.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:27 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
Put up the Thread! "Stepan countdown to 30!"
I'll save it for next year lol

And Steve, I totally agree. If he becomes a 30-50 next year that would be ridiculous, but I think we will have to wait another year for that

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Despite the score, I wasn't fully pleased with the game. I thought we played better in our previous games, and this was a poor opponent.

But that is that law of averages and luck kicking in. We're back in 7th, games in hand be damned, and we should be setting a goal of 20 points, looking at a 10-5 record the rest of the way. Anything less put the playoffs in serious jeopardy.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Muh
Beadle

Didn't watch game on dvr yet, Stepan play that well?

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:05 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Didn't watch game on dvr yet, Stepan play that well?

It was an even(ish) perfomance by several players but IMO Stepan stood out the most.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 01:24 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Thanks zuke, the monkey is now of your back..

Please don't wait 19 games before scoring again..

Glennsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:01 AM
zorz

Anybody here noticed Prospal's stats he currently has? 666 career pts for 222 goals and 444 assists. Pretty funny. Sorry if it was already metioned somewhere.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:03 AM
The Mouth

They got two points. It's all that counts.

and for the toy story three watchers. Lotso is badass

it was also good to see Frodo "with No goals" score tonight

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:18 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I don't even know if I should do this, but noone else was on it so I'm just gonna throw this out there. Let's have your POTG, Good, Bad, Redden, etc.
Did not see the game. Congrats with the points Rangers. And at last another goal for Zucca.

Where is "Wraparounds" and "Loffen"?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
More blind Gilroy hate. I think he is not that good. But he had a good game tonight, and as a fan you still have to realize that.
Agree. He stood out tonight. He was very involved and noticeable in a positive light. He seems a lot stronger on the puck and confident and he seems to be more comfortable / accurate at reading when to move the puck right away and when to carry the puck up a little more and then move it.

And this is coming from a guy who earlier in the year said that I didn't think Gilroy was a legit NHLer. Since that point, he's pretty much done nothing but prove me wrong. He's actually showing some poise with the puck and playing very solid in his own end. A lot less running and spinning around in his own zone; he's playing a much calmer, simpler, tighter game and when he gets a chance, he's using his best asset which is his skating / speed. I'm rooting for him to take the next step (wouldn't that be nice?), but I still have my doubts.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:39 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Anybody here noticed Prospal's stats he currently has? 666 career pts for 222 goals and 444 assists. Pretty funny. Sorry if it was already metioned somewhere.
Wow
It`s fantastic random numbers.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:05 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel Bites View Post
By itself? No, absolutely not. If Erik Christensen does that Sunday he gets a game or two, maybe.

It was his first game back from a big suspension, though, and the league does have reason to believe his modus operandi out there is just hurting people. Don't disagree too much with the wheel of justice on this one.
It's all about pleasing Mario on this one. Nothing else.

Solid game by the rangers, it was a game they should win and they did.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:41 AM
eco's bones

The wheels may have fallen off the bus but the team still plays hard/very hard most nights. We've broken in a lot of rookies this year besides who should be key players for a long time--Stepan, McDonagh, MZA and Sauer. The projection for this team for the future is up. And can't say that being banged up so much has helped. Kind of amazing that we're still in the picture.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Did not see the game. Congrats with the points Rangers. And at last another goal for Zucca.

Where is "Wraparounds" and "Loffen"?
I just had oral surgery so I've been shut down for the last few days.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I realize that, and obviously he plays against other teams 3rd and 4th lines, but he also doesn't play with our teams top lines much, so it evens out.

It just seems like you hate on people, or love people, because it is the cool thing to do on HFBoards. Gilroy had a good game tonight, as did most of the team.
Scan the thread, see who were dumping on, and pile it on.

repeat

03-05-2011, 09:19 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The wheels may have fallen off the bus but the team still plays hard/very hard most nights. We've broken in a lot of rookies this year besides who should be key players for a long time--Stepan, McDonagh, MZA and Sauer. The projection for this team for the future is up. And can't say that being banged up so much has helped. Kind of amazing that we're still in the picture.
Unfortunately the "New York has the most knowledgable fans" thing doesn'[t seem to extend to this board with half the posters. maybe it's a bunch of NJ people who like the Rangers?

Big performance but of coure against Ott. Still they need to put away their chances, they've been their own worst enemy. Compleeeetely outplayed Minny but didn't bury it. That's why they COULD beat anybody but prob won't. Not enough experience to put it away consistently. But look at our top two lines 2 rooks and 1 soph. Not to mention Dubs, Cally, Wolski are all young themselves.NO vets stepped up for this team. It's a joke people can't seem to realize that this is why we struggle and instead pretend the "youth has failed! trade them if they don't win by next year!" Not winning has sucked but the people here have been BRUUUUUTAL. Which is why I'm sure a lot of vet HFers don't even bother showing up in the GDT's the ones who do like odc and fox only seem to be there to flame people

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Levitate

One thing I took away from this game is that Erik Karlsson is really bad at playing actual defense

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Bardof425*

[QUOTE=Steven Mastrosimone;31425113]Wade Redden was a +6 last year. Marek Malik led the league in +/- once. Bottom pairing defenseman tend to have better +/- than top pairing defenseman due to the number of minutes they play and the players they play against.

It's going to be hard to articulate exactly how dumb that is. Malik led in +/- because one he had a good year and two he and Rozi were on the ice with Jagr's line alot of the time.

As for bottom pair defenseman having some kind of advantage because they play less minutes; wow. You understand you need a goal for to benefit, right? Just because you play less and not against the other team's best players (at least at home) doesn't account for the plus side of the equation. You understand by playing less there is less chance that you will add to the plus side? Right?

You also understand that the bottom pair will not play with the top line as often as the coach wants to max that line's chances of scoring (hence the units of five that many coaches use).

Wow, just wow. Gilroy isn't as bad as some of you try to make him out to be. Just because he gets beat physically during the game doesn't mean he can't play the position. How often does he escape trouble and move the puck out of the zone because of his skating ability? He's actually better with the puck on his stick than Girardi is. His issue is when he needs to stop an opposing forward and he'll learn how to use spacing and positioning to lessen the need to knock guys off the puck physically. Not every good d-man in the league is a horse. Cut him some slack; especially when he has a good game which he did last night.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

My main beef with Gilroy is that his upper body is not strong enough for him to be able to push guys off of the puck. He can compensate with good positioning, which he has learned, but there are some situations where it is unfixable.

This is the same beef that I had with Sanguinetti during his cup of coffee here last year, and had me say he would never be an NHL dman if he didn't bulk up.

Now Gilroy doesn't provide offense either. So all in all;

He is 26
He has a 1.75 cap hit
He is not physical
He doesn't provide offense

So we should be beginning to question why he is still here and how quickly we can replace him potentially with Kundratek.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:09 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

In fairness, Gilroy doesn't get all that many minutes to boost his offensive numbers and he is the new "pile on" boy since Rozy left.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This was a game that the Rangers need to build off of. Sure they beat a crappy team, but sometimes a win like that is what it takes to break a streak like they've been on. Of course the said could have been said about the Caps game.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:54 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
My main beef with Gilroy is that his upper body is not strong enough for him to be able to push guys off of the puck. He can compensate with good positioning, which he has learned, but there are some situations where it is unfixable.

This is the same beef that I had with Sanguinetti during his cup of coffee here last year, and had me say he would never be an NHL dman if he didn't bulk up.

Now Gilroy doesn't provide offense either. So all in all;

He is 26
He has a 1.75 cap hit
He is not physical
He doesn't provide offense

So we should be beginning to question why he is still here and how quickly we can replace him potentially with Kundratek.

Totally agree. Gilroy is completely redundant.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I just had oral surgery so I've been shut down for the last few days.
Sorry I wasn't trying to steal your thing here, but I waited awhile after the game and noone put it up so I figured I'd just go for it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Sorry I wasn't trying to steal your thing here, but I waited awhile after the game and noone put it up so I figured I'd just go for it.
No it's cool, I'm glad someone made it.

I do need to know, how many wraparounds were there against Ottawa?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
The difference between this game and the last couple? The puck found the back of the net because the good guys got some breaks.

Prospal's goal? Good break for the Rangers.

Zuccarello's goal? Good break for the Rangers (rebound laying down right on his stick).

This team is a legitimate playoff team, if not a legitimate Cup contender, that Torts has playing consistently, despite what a lot of people around here think. The effort is there every single night, but sometimes the bounces are not, and this team doesn't have enough skill to win when the breaks are going the other way, hence the inconsistency in the outcome of the games. This is a frustrating situation to be in for sure, but prepare yourself to continue to be on the rollercoaster if you're the bi-polar type because this isn't going to change unless they get a serious injection of impact skill somehow.
can we clone your common sense and implant it into other ranger fans?

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote