HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings and Oilers - Draft Day

Old
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
itīs not that I donīt give credit for Smyth, but we may have some cap issues next year. Edmonton lacks size and could use #94 leadership to help the kids develop.

our LW spot would be filled by one of Moller/Loki/Parse
Oh that is fantastic. Then we are right back where we were one week ago. There is a reason DL made that trade.

I swear man.. Kings fans have a hard time of letting go of the past. Who gives a **** if Smythi is overpaid? He brings a critical element to the team. The only reason you would need make cap space is if you added an upgrade at his position or possibly the second line center. The only way that happens is if the Kings actually sign a UFA for once. They can worry about getting under the cap when a free agent (ok, I'll say it, Brad Richards) actually signs here. I won't be holding my breath.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
sweatypickle

let's talk after the Kings sign Richards...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
31st overall for Smyth? Pass.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
31st overall for Smyth? Pass.
I want Smyth to retire an Oiler. Personally, I am hoping he wins a cup in LA next season, and then signs to come to Edmonton as a veteran role player. I don't want to give up a draft pick for him though, and honestly, why would the Kings move him, then they would have to go find a scoring LW again.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Ghostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

vCash: 50
Done

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi
Omark-Lander-Jones
Gillies-Konopka-SMac/Reddox

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Live from Rexall

I like it but ill tweek it we will give you back the conditional pick in the penner deal and add a 5th!

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
rockinghockey

We don't want Smyth and they are not going to give up Schenn

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Smyth is a proofen 30 goal scorer and will hit the 30+ this year easily.

So what about Kings 1st 2011, Teubert and a 3rd conditional ???

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Who is going to replace Smyth?... He is aging and slower, but he is still putting up 20+ goals and is a god in front of the net. It would be foolish to throw away a player of his caliber if we didn't have to. I would do this if there was some excellent option on the left wing to replace him, but there isn't. Smyth shouldn't go anywhere, he is definitely someone you want on your team in the playoffs. I have a feeling that we are not only going to keep him, but we are going to re-sign him.
exactly, if the kings not a competitive team then it would fall under "get something now rather than nothing later" but they are a pretty good team and smyth is a big part of it.

03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Smyth is a proofen 30 goal scorer and will hit the 30+ this year easily.

So what about Kings 1st 2011, Teubert and a 3rd conditional ???
Wise guy eh?

Old
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

This proposal is horrible. No way are the Oilers going to give up the first pick of the 2nd round for Ryan Smyth. Even if Smyth agreed to waive his NTC (another problem to this deal)

Smyth is at this point in his career a pretty one dimensional player. He is a garbage goal-scorer, he is good at his trick, but he is a one trick pony. He can't skate, can't carry the puck, can't really pass well. And he is now in his mid 30's.

And to the Kings fans saying "no way will the Kings trade a top 6 forward for a pick" The Kings could easily replace Smyth's production with an UFA who would be about half the cap hit of Ryan Smyth or they could use the $6.2 cap hit Smyth had and actually use it to get an actual 6 million dollar player.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
markisonfire

Neither team is in a position to do this.

Edmonton is going with their youth movement and have three potentially very good left wings in Hall, MPS, and Omark. Trading their second round pick (which will still hold a lot of value) goes against what they are trying to accomplish. Edmonton should continue stockpiling prospects like the Kings did.

The Kings are all about size and veteran leadership and are poised for the playoffs, where Smyth will (hopefully) earn his money. I wouldn't be surprised at all if, after his contract is up, he resigns with the Kings for around 3-4 million, like Justin Williams did.

If anything else were to happen between the Kings and Oilers in the next two years, I could see it being more veterans (from the Oilers) for prospects (from the Kings) but that's about it.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
No. Next summer, Smyth will likely sign a 1 or 2 year deal worth around $2.75 million per year, give or take $750,000.
I'd sign him for 3.5 for 2 or 3 years if I'm Edmonton.

Old
03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
And to the Kings fans saying "no way will the Kings trade a top 6 forward for a pick" The Kings could easily replace Smyth's production with an UFA who would be about half the cap hit of Ryan Smyth or they could use the $6.2 cap hit Smyth had and actually use it to get an actual 6 million dollar player.
Lol! Did I read that right? You're a real joker!

What in DL's or the Kings' history suggest they'll land a big free agent? And what UFA would that be? Have you looked at the list of impending UFA's? Not a whole lot out there better than Smyth. Before you go suggesting that Ryan Smyth is easily replacable, you might factor in DL and the Kings' success with past UFA's and what will be on the market this summer.

You've been clamoring about how the scoring winger position was a hole that needed to be filled for years (since Cammalleri left) and now that it is filled, you are advocating dumping off a proven top 6 winger because we can easily replace him with a UFA. If UFA's are so easy to come by, then why has DL struggled in the past? What makes you think that would change? I guess if DL traded Smyth for a pick and struck out at free agency, it'd give you another year's worth of material to whine about.

Smyth is just fine where he is at and he'll be off the books in another year. The only way I'd say get rid of him is if the Kings by some miracle of Jesus Christo they were able to land Brad Richards and needed to clear salary. Like I said before, I won't be holding my breath.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Akonite

I'd do it, but Smyth was my favorite player growing up so I'm incredibly biased.

If LA desperately needed capspace for free agency, then this seems halfway plausible but they don't and this years crop for FA isn't the greatest anyways.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Jamin

Like others have said its a non starter with the 2nd, we scored Pitlick with that pick and bob mckenzie had him going first round. 4th rounder is kinda ****** though, 3rd would be as high as I would go because the 6 million in cap space has to be worth something

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:08 PM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Edmonton doesn't need Smyth that bad. We've got MPS and Hall on the LW for a long time unless they want to trade one of the two of them for something big.

2nd rounder would never work especially considering all the salary we'd have to eat in that deal.

Hemsky + 2nd

for

Smyth + Schenn

Now, I'm pretty sure we'd do that.

You guys get 31st overall, Hemsky and save 2.15M in salary for Smyth and Schenn.

With a deal like this I could see Hall getting moved to center.

Smyth-Hall-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Omark
man that is one fast 2nd line. skilled too but creampuff soft unfortunately

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Like others have said its a non starter with the 2nd, we scored Pitlick with that pick and bob mckenzie had him going first round. 4th rounder is kinda ****** though, 3rd would be as high as I would go because the 6 million in cap space has to be worth something
Smyth for CGY's 3rd or Toffoli's linemate R.Martindale
The Oilers have the cap room to take Smyth's salary (who will provide leadership and take pressure off Hall n co.)
Martindale is a big C putting up crazy numbers but has no hope of cracking the Oilers lineup in the next 4 years.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Pajaarvi-Gagner-Omark\Jones
Hartikainen-xxxx\Lander-xxxx

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:10 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Edmonton doesn't need Smyth that bad. We've got MPS and Hall on the LW for a long time unless they want to trade one of the two of them for something big.

2nd rounder would never work especially considering all the salary we'd have to eat in that deal.

Hemsky + 2nd

for

Smyth + Schenn

Now, I'm pretty sure we'd do that.

You guys get 31st overall, Hemsky and save 2.15M in salary for Smyth and Schenn.

With a deal like this I could see Hall getting moved to center.

Smyth-Hall-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Omark

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
man that is one fast 2nd line. skilled too but creampuff soft unfortunately
Gagner and Omark are not fast. shifty perhaps but not fast.

and we are not getting Schenn from LA

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
We don't want Smyth and they are not going to give up Schenn
...and how exactly are these two situations related?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:47 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
For those two things to align he'll probably be 43 years old and retired, but good luck.
What a stupid post!

You don't think these teenager Oilers, who played the season without their #1D, half of it without their top scorer and half of it without their (ahem) #1C.... and lost 30 games this year by a single goal. You don't think those oilers will be realistically competing for the playoffs (8th thru 5th?) in two years when Hall is 20, Pajaarvi is 19, and Eberle and Gagner are 23?

They are an above .500 team with just Horcoff in the lineup. There is plenty of room for quick improvement with 2 years more experience and a healthy lineup.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
MIDSHIPMAN

2 simple reasons the Kings keep Smyth

- Stand in front of the net
- Mentor B. Schenn - I remember a quote from Brayden that went something like, "whatever he says, I listen."

MIDSHIPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDSHIPMAN View Post
2 simple reasons the Kings keep Smyth

- Stand in front of the net
- Mentor B. Schenn - I remember a quote from Brayden that went something like, "whatever he says, I listen."
I think Brayden was actually referring to Charlie Sheen when he said that. After all he is the brother of the greatest coach in the world, Mr. Gordon Bombay.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
As it stands right now, the Kings PP isn't great...next season you would risk losing Smyth and Zues the only 2 players on the Kings that really go to the front of the net??
Penner...Brown ?

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote