HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #64: at Anaheim, 3/04 (9:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest Plus, 1310 AM)

Old
03-05-2011, 12:23 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsHawks View Post
This just screams you don't understand playoff hockey. Defense has always been what wins the Stanley Cup. If you honestly think we can make it past the 2nd round with our current defense roster including a healthy Grossman your overly optimistic. All it takes is 1 injury to Robida or Goose and we are screwed. Philly acquired all that defensive depth for a reason this year. This is one of the main reasons I dislike the "Lets go for playoffs" mentality that prevented us from shopping Richards. Getting blown out in the 1st round by Van or Detroit is the most realistic outcome. Unless we can somehow get our **** together and get a top 6 spot come April.
A playoff birth this year is more or less for the purpose of adding value to the team for potential owners to be attracted to. Once we get new ownership that is willing to spend $, then we can acquire the shut down defense we need and then become a cup contender. I agree with your premise though, the current state of our defense will leave us embarrassed in a first round match up with a top team.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsHawks View Post
This is one of the main reasons I dislike the "Lets go for playoffs" mentality that prevented us from shopping Richards.
Who on earth said it prevented that? It was to my understand, and I'm pretty sure everyone else's, that he was shopped and there just wasn't a good enough deal to the liking of Joe to suit our team for the future.

He didn't prevent us from sending him off to some other place. The other teams in the bidding did that to themselves by now coughing up what Joe thought was acceptable.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:29 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
And the two final goals by Anaheim (and the last one by by Phoenix) weren't fortunate for them?

Let's see, Ducks get away with a slew of penalties that lead to a d-zone face off, puck gets to an open Selanne off a broken play. Ducks draw a legit call but one a bit out of context with the nothing called the rest of the game for the game winner.

Phoenix gets the game tying-goal when one of their players actually partially whiffs on a shot.

There are a lot of bounces, and you can almost always say the winner "was fortunate" in a close game.
I'll partially agree, The refs did us in in this game. BUT, there has been this recurring theme this year of the Stars going turtle in the D zone in the last minutes of a game with a 1 goal lead and not attacking. We do not have the defense to sustain that type of play. If we allow them into our zone to cycle us as they please, then we open ourselves up to the broken plays and ridiculous officiating. Crawford needs to look at what we're doing wrong late in games with the lead and fix it quick. We got away with this stuff earlier in the season, but we won't at this juncture of the season.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:48 AM
catters078

I cant see richards playing on this road trip at all, but hopefully Grossman is right to go tomorrow.

\if we can win one of the the LA or San JOse games this will have been a good road trip.

Disappointing to give Anaheim basically 3 points tonight but you have to move on and focus on the remaing two games..

starting to get worried about Karis demenour when leading in the 3rd period, he seems to be shaking a bit.

Wouldnt mind seeing raycroft tomorrow..

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:54 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Robidas had a really, really bad game.

Honestly so did Kari. It was obvious from the scouting report they were going to bomb from the point. Why was Kari so out position for all of Lubo's shots? Getz even went and talked with Lubo with 8 seconds on the clock before the FO. You had to know what was going to happen if he won that FO..

Choked away a point that I guarantee will matter mid-April.

Agreed I'd like to see Raycroft start tomorrow. Kari doesn't look fresh.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:56 AM
aevans0001

You guys are really quick to throw out the Stars of late. The Stars were over achieving for most of the season, all of the sudden they hit some injuries and they suck for a month (luckily it was a short month). Thy looked horrible in the 1st and bad in the 3rd, took a couple of bad penalties. But this team is still in the hunt. Yeah these divisional games are very important to win but we have 17 games left with playoff teams. Every game is a 4 point game, so as long as we win 10 with the teams we are closest to, we should at least get into the playoffs, which is better than the last 3 years, and really just as good as the last 10 years minus the one year when we made it to the finals. At the first of the year all of yall were saying how the Stars won't do anything this year....

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
KiedisA

Oh man.. this was a tough one and it's actually a good thing that the next game is coming up only 20h after this. The 2-3 was a very lucky goal for them but even after that we had the chances to bury the game.

I don't think Kari was to blame for the goals but he gave up many bad rebounds which got Anaheim deep in our area and made it difficult for our slower D-men to turn the game into a counter. It's weird ´cause I don't think that Rafcroft has played since he had the nightmare game some time ago(right??).

Oh and Perry is still a cnut.. He actually tried to stomp Robidas when Robi was falled onto the puck(either 1st or 3rd period)

Goligoski is getting better each game but I think we are going to find him another partner after Grossman gets back, because as good as Alex is with Robi going forward, their overall game isn't what is needed from a top defensive pair. Grossman plays so well with Robi and they obviously have chemistry together but then the question is, who is going to play with Goligoski? Are we forced to drop Skrastins or do we brake the Daley-Woywitka combo which is playing an OK game each night? Skrastins plays so much PK so who is going to take those minutes if he is going to be the "7th guy"?

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote