HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
1990-91 Rangers got knocked out of the playoffs. I went to the Caps series clinching win in game 6 in Landover,Maryland. What a dump. That annoying horn when the Caps scored a goal. Those annoying white pom poms.

The Rangers signed Tony Amonte out of BU and Doug Weight out of Lake Superior State when they were finished with their college seasons. The Rangers played them in the Caps series. Bernie Nicholls didn't play in game 6.

Smith was furious.

The team captain Kelly Kisio was not protected in the expansion draft.

Nemchinov joined the Rangers in 1991.

Graves was as a signed a group I in 1991. Smith had a comparable in Mallette. The arbitrator ruled in favor of the Rangers. Sather wanted Rice and DeBrusk. The Rangers had Amonte,Weight,Kovalev,Rice and DeBrusk as their top forward prospects. Kovalev had just been drafted that June.

Messier was acquired a month after Graves signed. Rice and DeBrusk went to Edmonton in the trade along with Nicholls who didn't get along with Neilson. Paramount also included $8M-$10M in the deal. Dave Shaw was sent to EDM for Jeff Beukeboom a few weeks after the Messier trade. It apparently was part of the Messier trade but it was completed a month after the Messier trade. Edmonton played at the Garden after the Messier trade and before the Beukeboom deal. Edmonton won the game. I remember sitting with my cousin at the game wondering what it would cost to get Buekeboom or Manson from Edmonton.

Messier,Graves,Beukeboom,Amonte,Nemchinov and Weight were not part of the previous season Rangers. Weight was a 4th line center on the Rangers. The other 5 players were key parts of the team. Graves-Messier-Amonte was the Rangers #1 line. That would be like Kreider and Richards forming the Rangers top line with another player not on the roster right now.

Zubov didn't come over until the following season. 92-93. He had an up and down season. Smith wanted Zubov and Kovalev to play in the AHL playoffs in 1993 but they wanted to play in the World Championships. Growing pains.

Old
03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The situation when Messier arrived and the possible arrival of Richards this summer absolutely have parralells.

If you step back from the ledge of the cliff, open your eyes, you'd realize it.

Messier stepped in to lead a young team, teach the young guys what winning is about, show them what it takes to win.

Brad Richards absolutely possesses those qualities.
I don't think he possesses anywhere near the level of leadership that Messier provided. I also think Messier was just a much better overall player, the type who could have a galvanizing effect on a franchise. I just don't see Richards as being that.

Quote:
You sign Richards and guys like Stepan and Anisimov assume a role they can be successful in with less pressure. And in 5 or so years when Richards bows out, Stepan and Anisimov are entering their prime years.
I'm curious how Richards would respond to playing in New York. He's never been expected to the man, with all the pressure that comes with it, you know? In Tampa he was almost 3rd fiddle to Vinny and St. Louis, and Dallas just doesn't have the type of expectations and pressure New York has. Maybe he would be successful, I don't know. But I think this would, in some ways, be new territory for him, having to live up to the gigantic contract he'll surely sign.

I know he's extremely talented, but I think he does also have some question marks around him, and those would make me really hesitant to offer him a big deal.

Quote:
Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, Girardi, Staal will be entering their prime years soon. They're ready to help carry this team to the next level. Richards coming in here could provide the proper guidance and help them do it.
I don't doubt that a healthy Richards would have a great effect on the team. I still don't think he would be enough to get us out of the East; I think the team would lack the offensive firepower and depth necessary, even with Richards.

Quote:
Richards is on another level then Gomez and Drury are/were. And this is a different situation then when they came in over 4 years ago. This isn't a veteran team. This is a young team that needs an elite veteran to help lead them to the next level.
I guess we just disagree on where the team stands at this point. It seems like you think we're one player away from contending for the Cup, but I just don't see it that way -- even though I'd like to.

Quote:
Richards
Gaborik
Lundqvist
Staal

Is not any lesser then

Richards
Carter
Giroux
Pronger

Dubinsky
Callahan
Stepan
Sauer
McDonagh
Anisimov

Versteeg
VanReimsdyk
Hartnell
Even with Richards, I don't think we could match their offensive depth. We certainly can't match their defensive depth either; in the future, perhaps, but not now.

Quote:
You can put the team we would have up against the best in the East.
I have to disagree. I don't think this team would have the scoring depth to come out of the East.

Quote:
The impact a guy like Richards would have is invaluable to a young team like this. He made that impact in Tampa, he made the impact on Dallas and the kids developed with his guidance and they were real contenders this year until he got hurt.
I don't disagree here. I think he could make an impact here, but I'm wary about the pressure+concussion and wary about handing out another gigantic contract whose best years are probably behind him.

Old
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

RangerBoy were you at the Rangers game last night, rocking an Avery jersey? Telling everyone around him about capgeek?

Old
03-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
The situation when Messier arrived and the possible arrival of Richards this summer absolutely have parralells.

If you step back from the ledge of the cliff, open your eyes, you'd realize it.

Messier stepped in to lead a young team, teach the young guys what winning is about, show them what it takes to win.

Brad Richards absolutely possesses those qualities.

Read.

Anything you read regarding Richards and his impact on the young guys in Dallas, heck, even the guys in Tampa when he was only 24 years old, you'd know that Richards is one of the rare players that are not only elite in talent, but put the effort in to accomplish his goals, demand the same from his teammates, assume a leadership role, and understand what it takes to win and relays the message to his team both by action and in voice.

The impact Richards can have on this young team could be HUGE.

The fact is, he understands how fetching the opportunity to win a Stanley Cup is. Players think when/if they win it when they're young that they'll have another shot, and its simply not the way it works. He's looking to win. The Rangers are looking to turn/develop these kids into winners.

You sign Richards and guys like Stepan and Anisimov assume a role they can be successful in with less pressure. And in 5 or so years when Richards bows out, Stepan and Anisimov are entering their prime years.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, Girardi, Staal will be entering their prime years soon. They're ready to help carry this team to the next level. Richards coming in here could provide the proper guidance and help them do it.

Richards is on another level then Gomez and Drury are/were. And this is a different situation then when they came in over 4 years ago. This isn't a veteran team. This is a young team that needs an elite veteran to help lead them to the next level.

(Not Fedotenko, Prospal, Drury)

Richards is a legitimate elite player. A guy who can be at the top of the league in scoring on a consistent basis.

A guy who makes his teammates better players both on and off the ice.

He's a player that brings credibility.

All these things Messier brought back in 91 when he arrived.

They may not be comparable in other ways, including the young guys, but the situation is similar, it absolutely is.

Richards
Gaborik
Lundqvist
Staal

Is not any lesser then

Richards
Carter
Giroux
Pronger

Dubinsky
Callahan
Stepan
Sauer
McDonagh
Anisimov

Versteeg
VanReimsdyk
Hartnell

So on.

You can put the team we would have up against the best in the East.

The impact a guy like Richards would have is invaluable to a young team like this. He made that impact in Tampa, he made the impact on Dallas and the kids developed with his guidance and they were real contenders this year until he got hurt. And then they traded Neal. So 2/3 of their top line is gone.

Also, Richards takes some pressure off Gaborik, who I don't feel is a guy that can be THE guy. He's a scorer, not as much a battle hardened leader like Richards is.
Hogwash. Even with Richards Philly is still much better than us. Mike is better than Brad. With Gaborik being the question mark that he is, Carter and Giroux obliterate any other scorer we have. None of our defensemen are even in Chris Pronger's galaxy. Our bottom defenesemen include Gilroy, Eminger, and Del Zotto. Philly's includes O'Donnell, Carle, and Boynton, which blows ours away. The Rangers aren't one big piece away from a contender as you seem to think, they're 3 or 4 big pieces away. Forget equaling the Flyers, we don't even belong on the same ice as the Flyers.

Old
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Hogwash. Even with Richards Philly is still much better than us. Mike is better than Brad. With Gaborik being the question mark that he is, Carter and Giroux obliterate any other scorer we have. None of our defensemen are even in Chris Pronger's galaxy. Our bottom defenesemen include Gilroy, Eminger, and Del Zotto. Philly's includes O'Donnell, Carle, and Boynton, which blows ours away. The Rangers aren't one big piece away from a contender as you seem to think, they're 3 or 4 big pieces away. Forget equaling the Flyers, we don't even belong on the same ice as the Flyers.
Even more comical is the comparing the impact of Richards to Messier...

Old
03-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Comical? Why what'd that hack Messier ever do? He's only the 2nd leading scorer of all time...

Old
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Reading comprehension is a great thing when used.

I compared the situation.

I never once said Richards is Messier.

**** this board sometimes, seriously. READ.

Old
03-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:

But the comparison of 94 to now is even more lopsided than the comparison of Richards to Messier. Richards is no Messier, but at least he's an allstar. On the other hand, 2011 is no 1994, and they're not even a playoff team.

Old
03-04-2011, 10:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The comparison was to what happened prior to 94.

Messier arrived in 91.

That's what I referenced.

And its not lopsided. Its a similar situation.

Young team on the rise. Add cup Champ/leader/elite player, develop the team in a winning environment.

Adding a guy like Richards could have a domino effect on things, that I listed above and don't really feel like going through again.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:14 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
But the comparison of 94 to now is even more lopsided than the comparison of Richards to Messier. Richards is no Messier, but at least he's an allstar. On the other hand, 2011 is no 1994, and they're not even a playoff team.
in a salary cap era and more teams in the league the best teams arent as good as the ones pre cap and expansion.

Old
03-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
in a salary cap era and more teams in the league the best teams arent as good as the ones pre cap and expansion.
Not top to bottom, but even now the top teams still have 2 or 3 very good scorers, and a great two-way defensemen. This team has none of that. There's no Graves on this team, there's no Messier on this team, and there's no Leetch on this team. Especially the Leetch part. Your chances of winning the Cup are slim without at least one defensemen capable of putting up 50 points. We don't even have one who can put up 35. That's one of our biggest problems. We don't have a constant threat like Keith, Lidstrom, Gonchar, Pronger, or even Frantisek Kaberle in '06; the top defensemen on the last 5 champions.

Last edited by Machinehead: 03-05-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old
03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Not top to bottom, but even now the top teams still have 2 or 3 very good scorers, and a great two-way defensemen. This team has none of that. There's no Graves on this team, there's no Messier on this team, and there's no Leetch on this team. Especially the Leetch part. Your chances of winning the Cup are slim without at least one defensemen capable of putting up 50 points. We don't even have one who can put up 35. That's one of our biggest problems. We don't have a constant threat like Keith, Lidstrom, Gonchar, Pronger, or even Frantisek Kaberle in '06; the top defensemen on the last 5 champions.
First off, we do have a defenseman capable of putting up 30 points.

Del Zotto did it last year, and Girardi is close (again) this year. Girardi has put up 20+ points every year since coming into the NHL. 28 career high, he's at 26 this year. 4 points shy of 30. With 15 games to go.

We have a 40 goal scorer in Gaborik when he's healthy.

We have six guys capable of 20+ goals in Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, Wolski, Boyle.

We have a LEGIT two way, budding elite defenseman in Staal.

We have three very solid legit top four defensemen in Sauer, McDonagh and Girardi.

We have two of the better bottom six role players in the league in Prust and Avery.

Yes, we do have all that.

Step away from the ledge.

Adding Richards would take pressure off Gaborik, put younger guys in a more comfortable role, bring Cup Champion pedegree, leadership by voice and action, and elite #1 playmaking center for our elite goal scorer, a power play quarterback.

The Rangers are in 7th now. And can move up to 6th if they get on a roll.

With a healthy team, a nother year of growth and experience for the young guys, adding that elite player in Richards. This team can be in the top 4 of the East next year and home ice advantage to start the playoffs.

And move forward from there.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
free0717

Brad Richards makes this team a much better team. Right now its a young hard working team. Brad Richards does not make this team a top cup favorite.

We need a top Puckmoving Dman and a big shot from the point(McCabe is an improvement but not the final answer).

We are a solid 4 on the blueline. In a year or two, hopefully MDZ becomes that player.

I also hope in two years McIlrath becomes the killer on the blue line.

We need Stepan to take another step and hope that Kreider becomes the elite wing that everyone believes he can be.

We also need Grachev to step up. Hopefully next year he clicks and dominates @ the AHL level. I believe 2012-13 is the year we will see Grachev fulltime.

Hopefully a Christian Thomas or a Ryan Bourqe step up too.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Vitto79

so correct me if I'm wrong .Richards would only waive his no trade at the deadline to the NYR? Is that fact amongst reporters?

If so if Dallas can't sign him he's a Ranger

They will find the money not worried about that. Let all the UFA's go( Prospal, Feds, Eminger , Frolov, White) let Gilroy become a UFA, buyout Drury/ if he retires we party

Old
03-05-2011, 11:14 AM
MPJohnny5

Yes Dreger from TSN reported he'd only waive his no trade for NYR. Im happy we let him play this year out to see how he does with that concussion anyways. If all is well Im pretty sure hell be in new york come July 1st

Old
03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
First off, we do have a defenseman capable of putting up 30 points.

Del Zotto did it last year, and Girardi is close (again) this year. Girardi has put up 20+ points every year since coming into the NHL. 28 career high, he's at 26 this year. 4 points shy of 30. With 15 games to go.

We have a 40 goal scorer in Gaborik when he's healthy.

We have six guys capable of 20+ goals in Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, Wolski, Boyle.

We have a LEGIT two way, budding elite defenseman in Staal.

We have three very solid legit top four defensemen in Sauer, McDonagh and Girardi.

We have two of the better bottom six role players in the league in Prust and Avery.

Yes, we do have all that.

Step away from the ledge.

Adding Richards would take pressure off Gaborik, put younger guys in a more comfortable role, bring Cup Champion pedegree, leadership by voice and action, and elite #1 playmaking center for our elite goal scorer, a power play quarterback.

The Rangers are in 7th now. And can move up to 6th if they get on a roll.

With a healthy team, a nother year of growth and experience for the young guys, adding that elite player in Richards. This team can be in the top 4 of the East next year and home ice advantage to start the playoffs.

And move forward from there.
QFT, people, QFT. But you also forgot our All-World goaltender.

The future is bright. Step back from the ledge.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
QFT, people, QFT. But you also forgot our All-World goaltender.

The future is bright. Step back from the ledge.
yea i'm still optimistic. The league is just very even and this team is very young. If they get 7/8th awesome but if they get 9th they still have the same future.

I don't get why some people say no to Richards. it gives them a #1 C and all of the crap contracts are off the books. It's worth signign a 30 yr old C that has won with the coach before. It gives Gaborik a top line C and it puts less pressure on the kids

not much needs to change next yr.

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Anisimov, Callahan
Boyle, Stepan, Zuccarello
Avery, cheap C, Prust
Boogaard

I really like that lineup. I would move EC for a pick cause he is just not a 4th line grinder. Maybe Konopka fits that mold. With the cap has to be cheaper than EC

Staal, Girardi
Mcdonaugh, Sauer
Del Zotto X.....McCabe if cheap 1 yr is fine with me
cheap 7th or just use a call up

Lundqvist
Biron

Old
03-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Problem with that lineup is that we don't really have any extra forwards.

I expect one of Kreider, Hagelin, or Grachev to make that lineup if we don't sign another forward on top of Richards.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Yes, other than Richards not being as good as Messier, and this young core not being as good as that young core, you're really onto something here.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Problem with that lineup is that we don't really have any extra forwards.

I expect one of Kreider, Hagelin, or Grachev to make that lineup if we don't sign another forward on top of Richards.
maybe ur right and I'm not going to complain if one of those 3 get in the lineup but I just dont see where they fit. In a perfect world I think they part ways with Avery but he has another yr left and is not tradeable so at 2 million its not that big of a deal and it gives a kid a yr to develop.

Of course Drury is bought out. I can't see any scenario where that does not occur unless he retires of course

Plus if they sign Richadrs the rest of the cash goes to the RFA's and any extra money will be spent on dirt cheap options.

Old
03-05-2011, 12:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
maybe ur right and I'm not going to complain if one of those 3 get in the lineup but I just dont see where they fit. In a perfect world I think they part ways with Avery but he has another yr left and is not tradeable so at 2 million its not that big of a deal and it gives a kid a yr to develop.

Of course Drury is bought out. I can't see any scenario where that does not occur unless he retires of course

Plus if they sign Richadrs the rest of the cash goes to the RFA's and any extra money will be spent on dirt cheap options.
I'm already penciling in 1 of the rooks to make the team out of camp. If you asked me right now I would go with Kreider.

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Anisimov, Callahan
Kreider, Stepan, Zuccarello
Avery, Boyle, Prust

Old
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
chosen

How about the Rangers not throw another enormous contract at someone who has pre-existing health issues.

That would be a nice change of pace.

Old
03-05-2011, 02:18 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
Quick question:

Can anyone name the last team to win a Stanley Cup with a #1 Center they signed from free agency?
If you're talking about signing an NHL veteran from another team (which I think you are), then I don't think it has ever happened.

But technically, Andy McDonald was a free agent out of Colgate when Anaheim signed him, and he won the Cup with them as their first line center in 2007. But that's a lot closer to drafting a player than signing him in the Brad Richards to NYR sense.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:54 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
How about the Rangers not throw another enormous contract at someone who has pre-existing health issues.

That would be a nice change of pace.
Is he even playing yet? Assuming he is healthy i'm mostly concerned about the length of any contract. Wish he could be had on a 3 or 4 year deal.

Old
03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He's close to returning, as is Gaborik.

Don't think the concussion will be an issue.

Most people probably get a concussion at some point in their life. Just like people get mono and never realize it.

While concussions are not something to take lightly, you can get back to normal after having a concussion. And plenty of players have returned to normal.

Its when a player gets several concussions that red flags should be waived. Like Savard.

Closed Thread