HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toews - Hart Contender?

Old
03-03-2011, 02:32 AM
TheGreatGodsby*

vCash: 500
Toews - Hart Contender?

Is he making a perfectly timed run at it or what? If he keeps the pace up, you gotta have him somewhere in there with Stamkos, Thomas, Sedins and Crosby(who will be written off because of the injury most likely anyway). He's lead this resurgence superbly.....

TheGreatGodsby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Hawksfan2828

Dude, you know - "intangibles."

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Trapper2530

I dont see him winning, even if he keeps his pace up hell finish with around 90+ points and the hawks realistically can only get into third place one of the sedins or kesler on the best or second best team in the league or stamkos or even thomas for that matter. Daniel would finish with 100+ points as much as i would love for him to win i dont think hell be able to make up the ground. all this is assuming crosby stays out and doesnt come back and play out of his mind again(which is a longshot) I just see him and the team cooling off a little down the stretch

but hey who knows he could put up 3 pts a game the rest of the way and hawks could win out

Trapper2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he should get some consideration, but no way he wins it. I would love it. Hope that media guys read HF and they would enjoy it

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:21 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernellKane View Post
Is he making a perfectly timed run at it or what? If he keeps the pace up, you gotta have him somewhere in there with Stamkos, Thomas, Sedin's and Crosby(who will be written off because of the injury most likely anyway). He's lead this resurgence superbly.....
See that's why neither Sedin should win it. When you think Vancouver, you think Sedin's, both, not one. There can be only one Hart winner, who do you give it to? Daniel because he scores tap-ins, or Henrik for setting up those tap-ins?

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
See that's why neither Sedin should win it. When you think Vancouver, you think Sedin's, both, not one. There can be only one Hart winner, who do you give it to? Daniel because he scores tap-ins, or Henrik for setting up those tap-ins?
Henrik won last year so I guess setting up tap-ins wins it...

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
See that's why neither Bedin should win it. When you think Vancouver, you think Bedin's, both, not one. There can be only one Hart winner, who do you give it to? Baniel because he scores tap-ins, or Benrik for setting up those tap-ins?
Why did you add a spelling error to the post you quoted?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:50 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
If Toews keeps playing in playoff beast mode like we all know he will, he absolutely will get nominated. Considering he is a media darling, he's got a pretty good shot.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:39 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Henrik won last year so I guess setting up tap-ins wins it...
Henrik won it last year because there was a substantial difference between him and the rest of the Canucks in scoring, and to that him leading the league in scoring and he got the Hart.

This year, him and his brother are up there amoung the league leaders so who would you give the award to? The guy who passes, or the guy who shoots?

Old
03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Why did you add a spelling error to the post you quoted?
If anything, it was a punctuational error.

Thanks for pointing it out tips.

Old
03-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Tuna99

Toewes is the embodyment of the Conn Smyth trophy, not the Hart. He spends to much time during the regular season being 2way.

The Hart usually goes to guys who have fat stats, like OV or the Sedin Sisters who choke come playoff time because of playing against players like Toewes every night.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Sevanston

Toews is definitely our MVP (it'd be cool if we gave out team awards), but there's no way he's League MVP.

Even if he scores at a 2 PPG pace for the rest of the season, he'd be just north of 90 points. That's definitely not enough for the Hart. It would certainly get him Selke consideration though.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
TheGreatGodsby*

tbh, I'm looking at it the same way I'm looking at the NBA MVP this year. Juiced stats alone ain't winning it due to certain reasons, in NBA(Lebron having a wingmate in Wade, Durant/Amare not really 'leading' their teams), and NHL, well basically juiced stats and pure leadership WOULD of won it with Crosby, but he's injured and Ovi is seemingly chilling, and then you have the Sedins.

Take out Toews and Rose......where are the two Chicago teams? Fighting for the 8th playoff seed, and Blackhawks would be hugely struggling at even that. Only Crosby has LEAD his team better than Toews for me this year, and I still think Crosby should win it too, but he won't obviously, hopefully still gets a nomination.

Thomas probably deserves to win as well really, dudes having a freak year.

TheGreatGodsby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Badger36

As much as I'd like to believe it. I don't see it happening. Toews is hot right now, but I don't see him in the same league as Stamkos or having a realistic shot at the Hart.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
galaxytrash

i hope he's at least nominated.

point production doesn't necessarily = MVP, although it sure doesn't hurt.

if he doesn't win it this year, he will some year in his career, i hope.

galaxytrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
lfchockey*

Toews is basically taking this team on his shoulders and playing like he did towards the end of last season (after a slow start).

The problem is that Chicago is the defending Stanley Cup champ, and most media personalities had them pegged to at least make the playoffs fairly easily. Despite losing a huge chunk of their roster from last year, they still have a lot of 'star' players.
So, many will say, they are where we thought they should be.

The problem with the rewards in the NHL is that they are rarely given to those that the definition is intended for...
"The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team."
Under this definition, Toews should be one of the leading candidates.
There are just too many peripherals that are included in the voting and one of the biggest is a. How your team is doing... & b. How many points you're putting up compared to the rest of the league.

(Case in point, how does a guy like Trotz not even get nominated every year for taking a mediocre team to the playoffs in the tough Western conference? Answer: because his team always plays middle of the pack or barely squeaks in.)

So, although Toews probably deserves careful consideration, he probably won't even be considered for the ballot.
What Toews brings to a game each in every night are the little things that you don't see the other players that will be given the nod.... as someone else noted above, the intangibles; a consistent defensive effort [take a peak at his +/- compared to his linemates!], penalty kill time, leadership on and off the ice ...

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:57 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Good post ifchockey, but I can tell you right now that JT does not have a chance to win the Hart. The main reason is that it is (unfortunately) about stats, individual and team stats. It will likely go to one of the sisters, tbh.
Only Hawk fans, Hawk players, opposition coaches and players will know just how good and valuable JT is to this franchise. You must watch him every game to appreciate him. If it was the players and coaches doing the voting he'd be in the running and one of the favorites (assuming the Hawks make the playoffs).

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Good post ifchockey, but I can tell you right now that JT does not have a chance to win the Hart. The main reason is that it is (unfortunately) about stats, individual and team stats. It will likely go to one of the sisters, tbh.
Only Hawk fans, Hawk players, opposition coaches and players will know just how good and valuable JT is to this franchise. You must watch him every game to appreciate him. If it was the players and coaches doing the voting he'd be in the running and one of the favorites (assuming the Hawks make the playoffs).
I'm OK with him winning the Ted Lindsay

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:48 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Agreed Bubba88.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote