Colton Gilllies

Old
03-05-2011, 09:25 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Your reasoning brings up a question. Does it benefit a prospect to play with other talented players because of skill or does it benefit them more to play with little talent because then they get more opportunity?

The 14 players drafted behind Colton Gillies in the first round have played a total of 462 games in the NHL. That averages out to 33 games apiece. If you take out Pacioretty and Perron, the remaining 12 picks have only played 102 NHL contests. I'm not using this to let DR off the hook for drafting Gillies, but there wasn't a ton of talent in the 07 draft.
good points. this is only a "perhaps" but maybe they thought one of his most glaring weaknesses was his ability to read the play on the ice and that's why they had him up in the press box? It doesn't seem rational to me either, but it could a reason for keeping him up rather than just spinning his wheels in the W. I mean, coupled with access to the NHL trainers and embedding him in "the system" hoping he'll pick it up by just breathing it in if not playing in it.
Dunno.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:39 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
We can re-hash all of the draft picks that Riser made until we run out of breath. The illuminating statements for me came after the Rangers visited the X for the first time this season and Riser did an interview with Russo.

To summarize; Riser admitted that he got away from "hockey" when he was also appointed to run the business side of MSE.

Let's take a look at the picks before he was promoted to run the business side as well;
Marian Gaborik
Mikko Koivu
Pierre Marc Bouchard
Brent Burns

Let's take a look at the picks after he was promoted;
A.J. Thelen
Benoit Pouliot
James Sheppard
Colton Gillies
Tyler Cuma

So arguably... When the man was thinking about *just* hockey, his picks panned out. For lack of a better way of putting it, if his first four picks were all on this current roster, healthy, etc, we wouldn't *really* be scratching and clawing our way into a play-off position, would we?

What gets sad is that we look at the impact his last five draft picks have had on the organization, i.e. nothing.

I'm going to randomly pick a name that went after each of those five.

Travis Zajac
Devin Setoguchi
Michael Grabner
David Perron
Tyler Cuma (yeah, I would have still drafted him there)

Considering that when he wasn't distracted by running the business side, he actually did make good picks... And if he would have drafted a bit lower, not traded picks, etc...

So sad to think of these lines...
Bouchard - Koivu - Gaborik
Perron - Zajac - Setoguchi
Clutterbuck - ? - Grabner

Would be a helluva good top 9, with a third line center plug like Belanger.

Oh, and what's more? Even looking at our D, and goal tending...

We'd be right at the current cap (this year), but stretched for next.

Sorry for this random ramble...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:29 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Let's take a look at the picks before he was promoted to run the business side as well;
Marian Gaborik
Mikko Koivu
Pierre Marc Bouchard
Brent Burns
I'd argue that you have to play Gaborik from the get go based on the situation (first year as a franchise) and the type of player he is: electrifying....when healthy.

The other three had the luxury of playing in Houston and developing during the lockout year.

Quote:
Let's take a look at the picks after he was promoted;
A.J. Thelen
Benoit Pouliot
James Sheppard
Colton Gillies
Tyler Cuma
Thelen and Pouliot had character issues, Sheppard and Gillies were rushed, and Cuma's had terrible luck with injuries.

To me as time goes by its an issue of development and opportunity than drafting itself; under the DR regime, 1st rounders got the red carpet and that's it, the others were basically going through the motions.

As far as Gillies...I've also talked to a scout saying that Gillies is a guy you win with, a guy who can make an impact every shift; a big hit, a forecheck, a defensive play, even a goal. I don't deny that he was rushed, but he was also a guy who has been a forward for a relatively short time, so there is a learning curve there. IMO, at his ceiling, Gillies is what Clutterbuck is now (Cal has bigger upside offensively): an energy guy who forechecks, creates space, kills penalties, and makes life hell for the opponent.

And we the fans believed he could be a 20 goal guy because DR TOLD US he could be a 20 goal guy.

Also, Bulmer and Gillies are two different players: Bulmer showed glimpses of a higher offensive acumen than the guys graded out in the same tier of talent; better hands, shot, works on the cycle, blah blah blah...it does generally take longer for power forwards to develop, so at the worst MN has a Gillies-like guy in Bulmer; at the best they might have a guy who is a 25-15 guy; maybe a Lucic type or something.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote