HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think that having the tag up rule back

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
I think that having the tag up rule back

is going to off-set any sitting back in the neutral zone to guard against the now available 2 line pass. I think that now mor ethan ever we are going to see alot more of the heavy forechecking that we loved so much in the late 80's to early 90's.

Once the tag-up rule was taken out it forced teams to sit and wait in the neutral zone, I believe in my heart of hearts that taking out the tag up rule introduced the NHL to the world of the trap and now that that is gone, teams will be looking to force the turnovers in the offensive zone as opposed to the neutral zone.

That's probably the biggest change I'm looking forward to.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Taking out the tag-up rule was certainly one of the dumbest things they could have done.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Molson Golden

New tag up

I agree that this should open up the game and increase scoring chances. Forechecking is one of teh great parts of this game and now it will be even better.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
is going to off-set any sitting back in the neutral zone to guard against the now available 2 line pass. I think that now mor ethan ever we are going to see alot more of the heavy forechecking that we loved so much in the late 80's to early 90's.

Once the tag-up rule was taken out it forced teams to sit and wait in the neutral zone, I believe in my heart of hearts that taking out the tag up rule introduced the NHL to the world of the trap and now that that is gone, teams will be looking to force the turnovers in the offensive zone as opposed to the neutral zone.

That's probably the biggest change I'm looking forward to.
i've been thinking about the possibility of d-men hanging back in a deeper trap to prevent the two line pass, and to be honest, i don't think that's ever been a real possibility. if they did that they would be conceding the offensive blueline to the opposing wingers, and that's just not a good enough trade off.

plus, in order for the trap to actually work with the d-men back that far, wouldn't the forwards have to stay higher in the offensive zone to keep the trap tight?

also, giving counter-attacking forwards the space coming out of there zone that hanging back would give them, d-men (especially the bigger slower ones) are actually put to a great disadvantage because the attacking forwards can garner speed coming across their own blue line into the neutral zone.

IMO hanging back would create far more defensive problems than it would solve.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674
k

excuse my ignorance on this topic...but can anyone briefly tell me how the tag-up rule exactly works?

thanks!

Old
07-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
excuse my ignorance on this topic...but can anyone briefly tell me how the tag-up rule exactly works?

thanks!
if the puck preceeds the attacking player into the offensive zone it's offsides. before this season, it was automatically blown dead. now, going back to the older rules, an attacking player has to touch the puck to have it be offsides, and the offsides is waved off if everyone clears the blue line and then reenters the zone. keeps the play moving with fewer stoppages.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Taking out the tag-up rule was certainly one of the dumbest things they could have done.
You are correct, sir. I have been saying this since they took the rule out seven years ago!! Blowing the play dead on the offsides just slowed the play of the game down.

Old
07-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Yep. I like whistle-free, fast-paced hockey. Anything they can do to keep the play moving and cut down on the stoppages is a plus.

Closed Thread