HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anderson & Friends Vs Power Rangers | TSN/RDS | 7:30 | GO TANK GO! |

Old
03-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Flamingo

vCash: 500
On Spezza, the last two games I see him trying to find a goal anywhere he can. I think he's trying to bring more first-strike ability to his game, as he did last year and at the start of this year. And witness his zone-entry attempts, especially on power-plays, mostly failed attempts to beat two defenders by stick-handling through them. He's not relying so heavily on a shallow zone entry, curl, pass to trailer game, which can get ineffective when a team decides to key on it.

I'm fine with this. This is the season for him to hone that more aggressive part of his game. I think he's played with good offensive partners all of his Sens career, and has focused on been a good puck distributor, but he's neglected his man-with-puck attack. This is good for Spezza, play with permission to gamble and get confidence.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Spezza in no way contributed more to our offence than Karlsson. The former threw the puck through five bodies hoping that it would land on a friend's stick, while the later hit the crossbar after beating Lundqvist, created multiple rebounds and scoring chances, and contributed greatly to our breakout.

Don't get me wrong. Karlsson was very bad in his own end. However, I believe his offensive contribution made up for it.
Hitting a crossbar isn't really contributing offensively in my book. As I have posted before, I like Karlsson, the kid has great talent and potential. But last night was not one of his memorable games.

He looked hesitant at times moving the puck, got himself out of position in the offensive zone occasionally, and really struggled defensively. The kid looks a little beaten to be honest.

Like everything, I find myself pointing the finger at Clouston again. IMO there was no way Karlsson should have been playing 1st pairing minutes so early in his young career. Karlsson himself says he lacks the size to play physically, and he has lots to learn on how to use his stick more effectively to defend. He also said, it is very hard for him.

Well last night he looked tired and like he has lost the swagger. Hopefully a new coach will play Karlsson to his strengths and allow him to develop without over exposing his weaknesses.

While I realize a major part of a coaches job is winning, another major part is developing talent, creating the best opportunity for the players to be successful. Looking at the progression (or lack of) with Regin, Foligno and Karlsson and IMO how Clouston has handled them, the sooner he goes the better.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
jamwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Hitting a crossbar isn't really contributing offensively in my book. As I have posted before, I like Karlsson, the kid has great talent and potential. But last night was not one of his memorable games.

He looked hesitant at times moving the puck, got himself out of position in the offensive zone occasionally, and really struggled defensively. The kid looks a little beaten to be honest.

Like everything, I find myself pointing the finger at Clouston again. IMO there was no way Karlsson should have been playing 1st pairing minutes so early in his young career. Karlsson himself says he lacks the size to play physically, and he has lots to learn on how to use his stick more effectively to defend. He also said, it is very hard for him.

Well last night he looked tired and like he has lost the swagger. Hopefully a new coach will play Karlsson to his strengths and allow him to develop without over exposing his weaknesses.

While I realize a major part of a coaches job is winning, another major part is developing talent, creating the best opportunity for the players to be successful. Looking at the progression (or lack of) with Regin, Foligno and Karlsson and IMO how Clouston has handled them, the sooner he goes the better.
Well said.

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote