HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

How did Penner look last night?

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
foshizzle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
lets leave it for now,and mid to end of next season we will see if you think he is a 4.3 million dollar player,thats all.
I was unhappy with his signing in Edmonton, as were most fans giving up picks- he earned back the fan appreciation. He is a good for 25-30 goals every year, while playing tough minutes and outscoring and out chancing the opposition. Can play all 3 zones and kill penalties--yeah- I'd say that is a 4.25 mil player

Old
03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
wicker

To the posters who are pretending that they know and can dissect Penner wholly as a player... Seriously? I'm not saying he's an amazing player, but to nonchalantly pass judgment on him after a single practice with the team, after a single game, is simply hilarious.

I thought he looked good, although he was confused at times, which is understandable, and what do you know, he was a big reason why we scored the only goal of the game.

I guess people rather enjoyed the last game Bernier played against Minnesota where it ended 0-0 in regulation, and we went on to lose the game.

I've never really been a fan of him, but he looked good, all things considered.

Old
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle View Post
Edmonton fan here, who has seen ALOT of Penner over the past 3 seasons. Here is what you get from Penner...

1) He is a solid two way player- very strong defensively-
2) He makes everyone around him better-- it may appear as though he is not doing much- but he creates a ton of space. His line (regardless who is on it) will consistantly- game in and game out- out chance and outshoot the opposition.
3) He controls the puck and is impossible to knock it off him
4) He can kill penalties and play the PP.
5) He played the tough minutes in Edmonton

You got a solid player. You'll appreciate him more as you see the small nuances of his game.
This is what I saw, even if he was a little lost in the system he will pick it up in a couple games.

One thing that I noticed was he takes some short shifts. There was one he was on the ice shortly, then went in hard on the forecheck and chased a guy pretty hard for like 5 seconds and he went off. Seemed like Kopi and Simmonds skated twice as long as Penner each shift haha

Old
03-04-2011, 05:52 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Wow, I guess I was watching a different game, but I was satisfied with Penner's play last night. Like many have already mentioned, it was his first game after a single practice. But what I did notice and others have noted, is I was surprised by his passing. He made a handful of little passes on breakouts that our other wingers sans Smyth, just don't make with any kind of regularity. I didn't know he had that kind of creativity with the puck. He broke up some plays defensively and was good around the boards. Once he develops some chemistry with his linemates, I think he's going to do well and open things up for Kopi and Williams.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
You're out to lunch buddy. See my post above.
I don't disagree with anything you said. Maybe we have a different definition of the word "huge." He's a solid player.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post
Yer kinda of an unforgiving person if you cant understand the persons entire life has been uprooted and was put into a team with entirely new players he has never played with and he had 1 practice in a system that is ENTIRELY different from Edmonton's. If you kid brings an A- on his report card do you ground him?
I'm fine with Penner but just to set the record straight, he has a house down here, keeps a car down here, and has experience as a teammate to Stoll and Greene (maybe Smyth too?).

As far as hockey trades go this one was about as minimally uprooting as they get.

Old
03-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
...As far as hockey trades go this one was about as minimally uprooting as they get.
.... so, it's more like a re-rooting.

Old
03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
He's big and slow. He makes his money when he has the puck around the net which didn't happen once against Phoenix. He'll be fine. I look back at some of the games this year and there have been so many instances where we've had guys take point blank shots into the goaltenders chest. I look for Penner to be the guy that bury it around the cage. He'll get his chances.

Old
03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
nocturn

If anything, I hope Smitty takes Penner under his wing and makes him his grasshopper. With Penners size, he could be absolutely *deadly* with the addition of Smyths crease knowledge and tips.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:26 PM
northernKing

IMO Penner played well. He was making alot of quick passes out of our zone and then skating hard to get into the play. I thought Simmonds was trying to get too fancy playing on that line and gave up a couple solid scoring chances trying to make the pretty play or as Fox pointed out "pass it into the net"

Kopitar and Penner held the puck much like the Giants in ANA do on the cycle. I for one was happy with his play all things considered. Fans will be more pleased after he scores against VAN

Old
03-04-2011, 11:40 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blikian29 View Post
He's big and slow. He makes his money when he has the puck around the net which didn't happen once against Phoenix. He'll be fine. I look back at some of the games this year and there have been so many instances where we've had guys take point blank shots into the goaltenders chest. I look for Penner to be the guy that bury it around the cage. He'll get his chances.
He's not slow.

Old
03-05-2011, 02:31 AM
TheDudeAbides

He had a couple really nice hits and screened for a goal so it was an alright game. bernier was the one who really impressed me in that game though. he really made some nice saves

Old
03-05-2011, 11:17 AM
s3machine*

Penner knows how to put the puck in the back of the net. period. This.. and the fact that Kopitar seemed like he actually wanted to be on the ice when paired alongside him is all the reasons I need to be happy.

I could ****ing careless about how his skating stride looked. I sometimes wish some of you were cursed Islanders or Thrahsers fans so you could really have something to complain about.

Have a great day

Old
03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I'm fine with Penner but just to set the record straight, he has a house down here, keeps a car down here, and has experience as a teammate to Stoll and Greene (maybe Smyth too?).

As far as hockey trades go this one was about as minimally uprooting as they get.
My parents live 400 miles from me. If my boss told me I had to leave tomorrow and start working in the same city as them, it would be alot on my mind and the first few days of work I may have my mind other places.

That being said, I dont think the uprooting part is as heavy a factor as trying to get to know a new system with new linemates. I am not saying he is the perfect fit for the Kings... that will be told in time. But to say a guy, after 1 practice and 1 game, is not be a $4.5 million player is crazy. The guy has the potential to be a top goal scorer on our team in a position we are severly defitiant in. For what he brings and in comparission to other players similar to him, $4.5 is probably about accurate.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:27 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
If anything, I hope Smitty takes Penner under his wing and makes him his grasshopper. With Penners size, he could be absolutely *deadly* with the addition of Smyths crease knowledge and tips.
This... and a nice replacement for Smyth when that big contract expires next season.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
You're out to lunch buddy. See my post above.
Nope, he's bang on.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Just imagine the commentary after game 2!

Give it a couple of weeks gang so you can see a few games and gain some additional perspective on the team's leading goal scorer (tied with Brown) before you start chiseling your proclamations in stone.

Old
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Whiskeypete

cant please some people regardless. LA could have a line of Richard, Lemieux, Gretzky and someone would ***** about them

Old
03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
cant please some people regardless. LA could have a line of Richard, Lemieux, Gretzky and someone would ***** about them
That line would be too soft.

Old
03-05-2011, 01:29 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
That line would be too soft.

We had Gretzky and people dump on him for a number of different reasons.

Closed Thread