HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Management's Vision - Building Around Young Core Players

Old
03-04-2011, 01:12 AM
The Goalie Mask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Pouliot is not a center for the NHL. Just like John Leclair, when he got to the highest level, he had to adapt his game to take advantage of his strengths.

Eller is a more natural center, better defensive anticipation and defensive zone coverage, and a good stickhandler, all traits you like in a center.

Louis Leblanc is another guy who is currently playing C, but might translate into a good strong NHL RW. He has the shot, and he is good winning battles in the corners.

Assuming the AK46 era comes to an end, I see the following future lines:

Pleks-Avtsin-Cammy
Gomer-CaptainG-Patches
Eller-Leblanc-Pyatt
David-Goliath-Pouliot
Actually when Poulliot was in Hamilton they played him at center and he quickly adjusted and played fantastic at center. He made the average winger around him better. So I think to say that he's better as a winger in the NHL without seeing him play as center is a little premature. He asn't never played the center position in the NHL. The management team was so eager to try and convert a big player to wing that he was never given a chance to see what he can do as a center. So without trying him we cannot compare which position he would be better at in the NHL. We do know that his developement playing the wing as been very slow and it has effected hist confidence...justly so.

Management tried to do the same thing with Eller but it seems that they are learning from their past mistakes. They are now letting him play center before they damage his confidence. He is playing much better as a center than a winger. I truely feel that the same thing would happen with Poulliot.

Lebanc is again another story. I'm sure his confidence is playing center. Afterall, playing center is what has made him successful up to this point. At the worlds they did use him on the wing but he didn't dominate at that position. He played well as a supporting player.

AK as been been playing very well with Eller at center. I think we might have a good pairing. I think I wouldn't be so quick to trade AK as long as they keep him with Eller or Pleks.

Gomez is deffinataly a problem in our line up. He has played with every winger and still hasn't been able to produce. As a matter of fact, the hot wingers that were pulled off their good lines, went cold when playing with him. I'm sure Gomez is well liked on the team but he is deffinately holding us back from moving to the next level.
It's a tough delima with what to do with him because of his crazy contract.

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:23 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
Actually when Poulliot was in Hamilton they played him at center and he quickly adjusted and played fantastic at center. He made the average winger around him better. So I think to say that he's better as a winger in the NHL without seeing him play as center is a little premature. He asn't never played the center position in the NHL. The management team was so eager to try and convert a big player to wing that he was never given a chance to see what he can do as a center. So without trying him we cannot compare which position he would be better at in the NHL. We do know that his developement playing the wing as been very slow and it has effected hist confidence...justly so.

Management tried to do the same thing with Eller but it seems that they are learning from their past mistakes. They are now letting him play center before they damage his confidence. He is playing much better as a center than a winger. I truely feel that the same thing would happen with Poulliot.

Lebanc is again another story. I'm sure his confidence is playing center. Afterall, playing center is what has made him successful up to this point. At the worlds they did use him on the wing but he didn't dominate at that position. He played well as a supporting player.

AK as been been playing very well with Eller at center. I think we might have a good pairing. I think I wouldn't be so quick to trade AK as long as they keep him with Eller or Pleks.

Gomez is deffinataly a problem in our line up. He has played with every winger and still hasn't been able to produce. As a matter of fact, the hot wingers that were pulled off their good lines, went cold when playing with him. I'm sure Gomez is well liked on the team but he is deffinately holding us back from moving to the next level.
It's a tough delima with what to do with him because of his crazy contract.
he was in Hamilton for 3 GAMES! sure he made others around better, he's a NHLER...

wrong, he did with the Wild...

how do you know that ?????

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:42 AM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
he was in Hamilton for 3 GAMES! sure he made others around better, he's a NHLER...

wrong, he did with the Wild...

how do you know that ?????
He wasn't an NHLer yet when he went to Hamilton....he played a few games with the Wilds but with limited minutes. With the Wilds he wasn't given a proper chance either.

Sorry....with the Habs he never played center. I really thing we should give him a chance at center. We need centers that are big, have good passing skills, good hands and that can score. If our centers can only pass than that makes them easy to shut down. I really think that is why Gomez is having a hard time. Other teams know how to shut him down because he isn't a threat with his shot.

Old
03-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Our Management needs to better identify what young core players we need to build a Stanley Cup winning team around.

In my opinion our current young core players are:

Price, Subban & Pac

We need to target a young star core center player through the draft or trades.

Until we don't do this we will not be a top tier team.

Our current prospects are good but not great. They are not core players, just secondary support players. We need great!

Our current good prospects;

Eller, Poulliot, Weber, DD, Leblanc,Tinordi, Palushaj, maybe Kristo

Once we identify our core young star players we can than build around them with depth and vet leadership.

Core players would be our untouchables in terms of trades. Everybody else are support players and tradeable. Right now we need a core young center and that should be the focus.

Right now Gauthier doesn't not have young core player vision and that is why he only does patch work trading. He is overating our good prospects and our vets. Our vets are good but are not core star players.

Our current good vets (not to old):

Cami, Gionta, Markov,Pleks,Gorges, Wisniewski

Again we need to build are team around star young cores that are the same age so that they can peak together.

All young core players should be untradeable. Everybody else can be tradeable for the right price.

Keep in mind that vets with good leadership and experience are also important to guide and help develop our core young players but they don't need to be untouchables if the right trade comes along to get a core young player. Especially if you are not serious cup contenders yet.

Gauthier much like Gainey plays it safe because he's vision of core players is not the winning formula. Hence no big trade improvements or no top star draft picks. That is why are team is not improving to be a top tier team that can be a serious cup contender.

On another not, we should always be drafting best player available so that we can either use them for our team or trade them for what we need. Best player available strategy allows us to be more successful when we we need to trade.

Lets hear other peoples opinions about management strategy of core young players and top tier team building.
The Habs' yung core doesn't have nearly the depth of the Blackhawks' young core when they won the Cup last season. Nor do they match the KIngs'. It will take time (and a few high draft picks) for the Habs to build up to their level.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:06 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
He wasn't an NHLer yet when he went to Hamilton....he played a few games with the Wilds but with limited minutes. With the Wilds he wasn't given a proper chance either.

Sorry....with the Habs he never played center. I really thing we should give him a chance at center. We need centers that are big, have good passing skills, good hands and that can score. If our centers can only pass than that makes them easy to shut down. I really think that is why Gomez is having a hard time. Other teams know how to shut him down because he isn't a threat with his shot.
I see, so it's basically everyone else fault... it's somehow impossible that the coach(es) he had know what they're doing... right ?

before you reply think about this : If everyone was playing their natural position there wouldnt be enough wingers in the NHL to fill three/four lines on each team...

Old
03-04-2011, 02:16 AM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
I see, so it's basically everyone else fault... it's somehow impossible that the coach(es) he had know what they're doing... right ?

before you reply think about this : If everyone was playing their natural position there wouldnt be enough wingers in the NHL to fill three/four lines on each team...
Listen, 90% of the coaches he's had have played him at center...so that says something...

We are not talking about the whole NHL...we are talking about our team the Habs....They have a bad habit of regularly trading and drafting players at certain positions and than trying to get them to play other possitons that they need to fill.....How about trading and drafting players that meet our positional needs?...what a concept....this might help with developing them quicker!...which happens to be a weaknesses that the habs have had for a few years!

Old
03-04-2011, 02:43 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Listen, 90% of the coaches he's had have played him at center...so that says something...

We are not talking about the whole NHL...we are talking about our team the Habs....They have a bad habit of regularly trading and drafting players at certain positions and than trying to get them to play other possitons that they need to fill.....How about trading and drafting players that meet our positional needs?...what a concept....this might help with developing them quicker!...which happens to be a weaknesses that the habs have had for a few years!
Pouliot is not a centerman in the NHL. Think John Leclair. Or even, just think.

If every MLB player played at the position he grew up playing, teams would have almost exclusively shortstops, pitchers and center-fielders. That would leave a lot of holes in the defence and a lot of pitches going to the backstop.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:20 AM
lou4gehrig

Aside from Price and Subban, I'd be willing to trade anybody else to get a star top 3 player. Of course it'd be nice to also keep Plek and MaxPac, but really outside of those 4 everybody else should be on the table. Maybe go after somebody like Malkin (obviously would offer Plek for him) or maybe Paul Stastny (offer Camm + other prospects)?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

same could be said about Pyatt, DD, Eller, White, Plekanec, Gomez, Camm (drafted as a C)... what are we supposed to do, play them all at center cause they played all their minor league and Jr at C ??? who's going to play Wings ??? or maybe we should trade Plekanec so others C have a spot to play, right ??

We're not the only ones doing that, there's even teams playing lefties on the right side, oh! my god! can you imagine...

but just in case you forgot, Andrei Markov was drafted as a centerman... by your logic he should have stayed a C, I mean clearly most of his coaches up until them played him as a forward, that says something right ???

How about drafting less talented players cause we're in desperate need of C ??? that would make sense right ? I mean, who cares if there's a better player available if he isnt a center...

Old
03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
same could be said about Pyatt, DD, Eller, White, Plekanec, Gomez, Camm (drafted as a C)... what are we supposed to do, play them all at center cause they played all their minor league and Jr at C ??? who's going to play Wings ??? or maybe we should trade Plekanec so others C have a spot to play, right ??

We're not the only ones doing that, there's even teams playing lefties on the right side, oh! my god! can you imagine...

but just in case you forgot, Andrei Markov was drafted as a centerman... by your logic he should have stayed a C, I mean clearly most of his coaches up until them played him as a forward, that says something right ???

How about drafting less talented players cause we're in desperate need of C ??? that would make sense right ? I mean, who cares if there's a better player available if he isnt a center...
Your missing my point....I'm not saying that we can't try to convert players to other positions....just lets not try to do it with every player that we draft or trade for...lets not make it the norm but the exception...

It's okay to experiment a little bit...but Martin does is it all the the time...just when players start to build good chemistry he will change the lines and put players out of position....I find that frustrating..

Take for example the current line of Eller -AK -Moen.....AK and Eller are having some great chemistry together....Why do you think this is the case?......and how long do you think it will take before Martin breaks them up?

I personally think they should keep them together for a long time...I think it's working because we are letting Eller play his natural position which plays to his strength...plus we have put a talented winger in AK on his line...both big strong & talented players that seem to be clicking together...

Old
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Seeing Eller breaking out, watching MaxPac play as a young powerforward, watching Price making highlight real saves, seeing Subban becoming our number 1 d-man makes me smile.

They are the only reason i'm watching the habs play right now, 'cause i don't like our coaching staff, our system and our softness.

But hey, we have a pretty young core that we can build on for years.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:25 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Actually when Poulliot was in Hamilton they played him at center and he quickly adjusted and played fantastic at center. He made the average winger around him better.
By the way, you are wrong.

Pouliot played 3 games in Hamilton. The first two games were at C. Zero points.

His third game he got 1 goal and 2 assists, but he played wing.

By itself, this proves nothing, but I am reacting only because you keep saying Pouliot was this great centerman in Hamilton, making it sound like he was there a long time with super results, when in fact he got ZERO points as a C in Hamilton, and only played 3 games total for that team.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:44 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
By the way, you are wrong.

Pouliot played 3 games in Hamilton. The first two games were at C. Zero points.

His third game he got 1 goal and 2 assists, but he played wing.

By itself, this proves nothing, but I am reacting only because you keep saying Pouliot was this great centerman in Hamilton, making it sound like he was there a long time with super results, when in fact he got ZERO points as a C in Hamilton, and only played 3 games total for that team.
What makes you think Poulliot would be a bad center?.....We know that he's not a very good winger on the third & fourth line..he's okay there....but we also know that he's very skilled, has good hands, is big, can set up other players and has a good accurate shot....I really think we are not using him properly...and we haven't played him with the right players.....I wouldn't be against playing him on the wing with AK and Eller...3 big guys with skill and shooting capabilities...

Old
03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
The Goalie Mask

to summarize our team's core that should be the focus of our Management team:

Young Core(20 - 25 years old) Currently on the Habs:

Untouchables
Price - Franchise goalie (untouchable)
Subban - Top pairing franchise all around defensiveman (untouchable)
patches - Power forward winger (untouchable)

Possible Touchables
Eller -Talented up & coming centerman that needs to develop (potential untouchable)
Poulliot -Talented forward that still needs to prove himself and find a spot on the team (could be traded but has great up swing if he develops to his full potential)
Weber - Improving offensive defensiveman (undecided yet)

The rest of the young guys on the team are just supporting players that could be traded.

Older Young Core:

Untouchable
Pleks - proven two way centerman that can play first or second line (untouchable)
Markov - Our best defensiveman ( If his injuries have not caught up to him he should be untouchable)
AK - Very talented and able to produce with the right linemates (If we let play with only Eller or Pleks I would make him an untouchable)

Possible touchable
Cami- Our best scoring winger but to small (for the right upgrade should be available for trade)
Gionta - Small scoring winger & a great inspiration captain with experience(for the right upgrade should be available for trade)
Gomez - We need to find a winger that can play with him outside our team or we need to trade him(he is hurting our team)
Wiz - still and young and helpful (we could sign him for the right price

The rest of the players are again just supporting players that could be traded.

Older Players :
Spacek - He's to old, to expensive and at his age will be injury prone (trade him)
Hammer - He's to old but at a cheaper price he's worth keeping as a supproting player
Gill - Old and slow but a good leader with Stanley Cup Experience could be kept at a cheaper price

Old
03-05-2011, 03:35 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
to summarize our team's core that should be the focus of our Management team:

Young Core(20 - 25 years old) Currently on the Habs:

Untouchables
Price - Franchise goalie (untouchable)
Subban - Top pairing franchise all around defensiveman (untouchable)
patches - Power forward winger (untouchable)

Possible Touchables
Eller -Talented up & coming centerman that needs to develop (potential untouchable)
Poulliot -Talented forward that still needs to prove himself and find a spot on the team (could be traded but has great up swing if he develops to his full potential)
Weber - Improving offensive defensiveman (undecided yet)

The rest of the young guys on the team are just supporting players that could be traded.

Older Young Core:

Untouchable
Pleks - proven two way centerman that can play first or second line (untouchable)
Markov - Our best defensiveman ( If his injuries have not caught up to him he should be untouchable)
AK - Very talented and able to produce with the right linemates (If we let play with only Eller or Pleks I would make him an untouchable)

Possible touchable
Cami- Our best scoring winger but to small (for the right upgrade should be available for trade)
Gionta - Small scoring winger & a great inspiration captain with experience(for the right upgrade should be available for trade)
Gomez - We need to find a winger that can play with him outside our team or we need to trade him(he is hurting our team)
Wiz - still and young and helpful (we could sign him for the right price

Older Players :
Spacek - He's to old, to expensive and at his age will be injury prone (trade him)
Hammer - He's to old but at a cheaper price he's worth keeping as a supproting player
Gill - Old and slow but a good leader with Stanley Cup Experience could be kept at a cheaper price

hawks thought the same thing... they replaced most of their supporting cast last summer... and look where they are in the standings today...

Old
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
What makes you think Poulliot would be a bad center?.....We know that he's not a very good winger on the third & fourth line..he's okay there....but we also know that he's very skilled, has good hands, is big, can set up other players and has a good accurate shot....
You are only looking at Pouliot as a centre based on his offensive abilities, which is pretty flawed analysis.

Center is the most demanding forward position because it requires a much more complete game than playing on the wing does. A quality centreman also has to be reliable in both ends of the ice and have great hockey sense. Even if Pouliot could produce at a slightly higher clip offensively up the middle (which I'm not sure he would), his deficiencies in his own end and his poor decision making (specifically in taking dumb penalties) would be made more prominent.

Looking at the big picture, it's pretty clear why Pouliot's played on the wing. That is where he best fits at the elite level, where it's much harder to hide flaws than it is in junior.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:05 AM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
hawks thought the same thing... they replaced most of their supporting cast last summer... and look where they are in the standings today...
It wasn't by choice...it was by financial necessity. The Hawks didn't replace their supporting cast because they wanted too.....they replaced them because they couldn't afford to keep everybody..so they had to make some tough decisions..

Your missing my point about supporting cast....when a team isn't a contending team and they need to solidy their core, the order of priority is to make the trades and moving up the draft to get the missing cores...You have to give up quality supporting players to be able to do that. Once a team has it's cores (which are untouchables) you than reevaluate the supporting players and get the missing complimenting players which cost less than cores and are eaiser to get.

Old
03-06-2011, 12:17 AM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
You are only looking at Pouliot as a centre based on his offensive abilities, which is pretty flawed analysis.

Center is the most demanding forward position because it requires a much more complete game than playing on the wing does. A quality centreman also has to be reliable in both ends of the ice and have great hockey sense. Even if Pouliot could produce at a slightly higher clip offensively up the middle (which I'm not sure he would), his deficiencies in his own end and his poor decision making (specifically in taking dumb penalties) would be made more prominent.

Looking at the big picture, it's pretty clear why Pouliot's played on the wing. That is where he best fits at the elite level, where it's much harder to hide flaws than it is in junior.
Yes playing center is a more demanding position. What your describing is a two way center. We have that in Pleks already. We don't necessarly need 2 to be successful.

Secondly, to say that he can produce at a slightly higher clip at center is unfounded. We don't know what he can do because we have never tried him at that position. Just like any position, it takes time to develop into the ideal players for that position. In terms of his flaws, all rookies and young prospects have flaws which they can improve by giving them time to develop.

Poulliot has talent, high potential and flaws to be worked on. After all, He was drafted fourth overall...just ahead of Price. I don't think all the scouts where wrong analyzing him as a center. I still feel he would be better center than a winger. He has to much talent to be playing wing. But of course we have to give a chance to develop and improve his flaws.

Old
03-06-2011, 12:42 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Poulliot has talent...He has to much talent to be playing wing.
This is getting sillier by the minute.

Does Pouliot have more talent than Guy Lafleur, Frank Mahovlich, Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Mike Bossy?

What in heaven's name does it mean to have "too much talent to play wing"???

Old
03-06-2011, 05:57 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Our Management needs to better identify what young core players we need to build a Stanley Cup winning team around.

In my opinion our current young core players are:

Price, Subban & Pac

We need to target a young star core center player through the draft or trades.
I think Leblanc will be #1 center. He reminds me of a Jeremy Roenicke. Not the offensive numbes as JR, in that doubt Leblanc be a 100 point nhler, but an 80 point guy. Has similar speed and plays with edge like Roenicke

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:36 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:

Does Pouliot have more talent than Guy Lafleur, Frank Mahovlich, Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Mike Bossy?

Let's not compare Poulliots talent to hall of famers from 20 to 30 years ago...It's a irrelevant to improving our team today.

Most hab fans agree that Poulliot has lots of talent and potential to be a great player if he can over come some of his weakeness...

If your going to compare Poulliot's talent level and potential do it against our current team and prospects...that's alot more realistic.

Comparisons:

Poulliot

Ht: 6"3 Weight 200 pds
Drafted 2005: 1/4

ASSETS: Has a wiry body and plenty of shiftiness in the attacking zone. Can rack up points when he's on his game. Is capable of playing both wing and center.

FLAWS: Can take bad penalties, especially in the offensive zone, due to laziness. Needs to use his big frame more to his advantage and bring forth a more consistent effort.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Inconsistent scoring forward with loads of skill.

Strength : size, can rack up points, plenty of shiftiness, Load of Skills
Weakenesses: bad penalties, Inconsistent

Pouliot vs Habs Centers

AGE NAME GP G A PTS +/- PPG SHG GWG PIM SHOTS PCT ATOI HITS
24 Pouliot 63 13 13 26 7 1 0 4 63 104 12.50 11:49 94
31 Gomez 64 7 25 32 -15 3 0 2 40 123 5.69 18:22 26
28 Pleks 65 20 31 51 14 3 0 3 50 197 10.15 20:32 48
34 Halpern 64 10 13 23 7 0 1 3 29 54 18.52 12:44 36
24 DD 27 8 8 16 1 4 0 0 8 40 20.00 12:08 11
21 Eller 61 5 8 13 -4 0 0 1 36 71 7.04 10:45 62

Comparing the stats Pouliot is top 3 in goals,pts,+/-,shots,PCT. Top in GWG, hits & PIM. All with the second lowest ice time of 11:49 and with no power play time and playing on the third & fourth line.

Pulliot vs Habs Wingers

24 Poulliot 63 13 13 26 7 1 0 4 63 104 12.50 11:49 94
26 AK 65 16 21 37 6 5 0 5 26 158 10.13 15:35 116
32 Gionta 66 23 12 35 3 3 1 5 20 251 9.16 19:28 70
28 Cami 51 15 20 35 8 6 0 2 31 141 10.64 18:05 15
22 Pac 36 14 10 24 -1 7 0 2 39 110 12.73 16:03 64
28 Moen 65 3 8 11 -4 0 1 0 84 77 3.90 12:46 96

Comparing the stats Poulliot is top 3 PCT & GWG, top 2 in +/-, top 3 in hits. Again with the lowest ice time 11:49 and no power play time and mostly playing on the third and fourth line.

What these number show is that Poulliot is able to produce offensive numbers even if he's given very little opportunity. It also shows by is +7 +/- number that he isn't a defensive liability. He also isn't a soft player demonstrated by the number of hits he makes & PIMs.

These numbers don't lie. Pouliot is obviously talented and has been productive even in his limited role on the team. As a matter of fact, he's been more productive than most of our forwards.

Give him more ice time, better linesmates, time to develop and I think he would surprise alot of us with his capabilities.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

An idea I had...would you guys throw big contract at Stamkos this summer and surrender your next 3 first round draft picks to acquire him? It would be a 10 year contract, so we had Stamkos for prime years. He would be the franchise center we need

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

Quote:
Let's not compare Poulliots talent to hall of famers from 20 to 30 years ago...It's a irrelevant to improving our team today.

Most hab fans agree that Poulliot has lots of talent and potential to be a great player if he can over come some of his weakeness...

If your going to compare Poulliot's talent level and potential do it against our current team and prospects...that's alot more realistic.

Comparisons:

Poulliot

Ht: 6"3 Weight 200 pds
Drafted 2005: 1/4

ASSETS: Has a wiry body and plenty of shiftiness in the attacking zone. Can rack up points when he's on his game. Is capable of playing both wing and center.

FLAWS: Can take bad penalties, especially in the offensive zone, due to laziness. Needs to use his big frame more to his advantage and bring forth a more consistent effort.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Inconsistent scoring forward with loads of skill.

Strength : size, can rack up points, plenty of shiftiness, Load of Skills
Weakenesses: bad penalties, Inconsistent

Pouliot vs Habs Centers

24 Pouliot 63 13 13 26 7 1 0 4 63 104 12.50 11:49 94
31 Gomez 64 7 25 32 -15 3 0 2 40 123 5.69 18:22 26
28 Pleks 65 20 31 51 14 3 0 3 50 197 10.15 20:32 48
34 Halpern 64 10 13 23 7 0 1 3 29 54 18.52 12:44 36
24 DD 27 8 8 16 1 4 0 0 8 40 20.00 12:08 11
21 Eller 61 5 8 13 -4 0 0 1 36 71 7.04 10:45 62

Comparing the stats Pouliot is top 3 in goals,pts,+/-,shots,PCT. Top in GWG, hits & PIM. All with the second lowest ice time of 11:49 and with no power play time and playing on the third & fourth line.

Pulliot vs Habs Wingers

24 Poulliot 63 13 13 26 7 1 0 4 63 104 12.50 11:49 94
26 AK 65 16 21 37 6 5 0 5 26 158 10.13 15:35 116
32 Gionta 66 23 12 35 3 3 1 5 20 251 9.16 19:28 70
28 Cami 51 15 20 35 8 6 0 2 31 141 10.64 18:05 15
22 Pac 36 14 10 24 -1 7 0 2 39 110 12.73 16:03 64
28 Moen 65 3 8 11 -4 0 1 0 84 77 3.90 12:46 96

Comparing the stats Poulliot is top 3 PCT & GWG, top 2 in +/-, top 3 in hits. Again with the lowest ice time 11:49 and no power play time and mostly playing on the third and fourth line.

What these number show is that Poulliot is able to produce offensive numbers even if he's given very little opportunity. It also shows by is +7 +/- number that he isn't a defensive liability. He also isn't a soft player demonstrated by the number of hits he makes & PIMs.

These numbers don't lie. Pouliot is obviously talented and has been productive even in his limited role on the team. As a matter of fact, he's been more productive than most of our forwards.

Give him more ice time, better linesmates, time to develop and I think he would surprise alot of us with his capabilities.
Wow. You wrote about 1000 words without answering my question. Let me try again, what does it mean to have "too much talent to play wing"?

It is off-point to compare Pouliot's stats to Halpern in answering that question. That's like comparing Lafleur to Jarvis or Risebrough and saying Lafleur had too much talent to play wing.

I actually like Pouliot and think we should keep him. But as a winger, so as to MAXIMIZE his strengths!

Old
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Wow. You wrote about 1000 words without answering my question. Let me try again, what does it mean to have "too much talent to play wing"?

It is off-point to compare Pouliot's stats to Halpern in answering that question. That's like comparing Lafleur to Jarvis or Risebrough and saying Lafleur had too much talent to play wing.

I actually like Pouliot and think we should keep him. But as a winger, so as to MAXIMIZE his strengths!
I think the information above speaks for itself in terms of Poulliot abilities in a limited winger role...If he was given more responsibility like playing center you would see the full potential of his talent & abilities.

Playing center is a tougher position than wing. There's more responsibilities and it takes alot more talent, smarts & hardwork to be successful at the NHL level. Poulliot would be able to handle it alot better than some of the centers on the above chart. That's the point of the comparison. in his limited ice time and role he has already demonstrated better stats than some of the other current centers. He's just missing the opportunity to be tried, the time and the experience to get acquainted at the NHL level.

His strength is at center mark my words!

Old
03-07-2011, 07:52 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
An idea I had...would you guys throw big contract at Stamkos this summer and surrender your next 3 first round draft picks to acquire him? It would be a 10 year contract, so we had Stamkos for prime years. He would be the franchise center we need
i'd do it.

but you'd need some serious cap space and i doubt tampa won't match it OR that other teams didn't have that same idea

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote