HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who else want Belfour gone?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2005, 07:16 PM
  #76
Joe Canadian
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. John's, NL, CAN
Country: Canada
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
who ever you say will be a down grade..
I think this is where the disagreement stems from... I'm okay with a short-term downgrade in net if it means we can upgade another position... and then go after a younger goalie on the FA market in a year or two.

Joe Canadian is offline  
Old
07-25-2005, 09:43 PM
  #77
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
I think this is where the disagreement stems from... I'm okay with a short-term downgrade in net if it means we can upgade another position... and then go after a younger goalie on the FA market in a year or two.
I guess that depends on the degree of the down grade. you are talking about your team's most important position and removing one of the top goalies in the league to upgrade another position is hard for me to swallow. However, if we had someone capable of stepping in that may be a different story. If you're downgrading to Telly there aren't enough good D of forwards out there to make up the difference.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-25-2005, 09:49 PM
  #78
Kardi
Registered User
 
Kardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
id buy him out and hope the rangers dont pick up there option on weekes and spend the left over money on a star forward or dman

Kardi is offline  
Old
07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
  #79
Canadian Game
Sportsnet sucks
 
Canadian Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
So you'd want Weekes as a starter? I thought we wanted to be cup contenders.

Canadian Game is offline  
Old
07-25-2005, 10:51 PM
  #80
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi
id buy him out and hope the rangers dont pick up there option on weekes and spend the left over money on a star forward or dman
Hope is not a strategy. Assuming your approach has no flaw (which me thinks it does), what if the Rangers decide to sign Weekes? Then what?

wasting time is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 01:39 AM
  #81
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,051
vCash: 500
The more I think about it I don't think we should buy out Belfour. Here is why. Belfour seems to be very confident and ready to play. Also if we buy out Belfour we still have 1/3 of his salary against the cap, so that leaves the Leafs 1.5 Million against the cap and Belfour gone so we would have to get another goalie for less then 3 million dollars to save any money and the more I look at it I don't see any goallies out there to get for 2 - 3 Million and still be a contender. Also if Belfour gets injured the Leafs could go out and get another goalie at the same value as Belfour that would not go against the cap eg. Kolzig. So my new answer is no Fergy please don't buy out Belfour.

richardn is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 02:47 AM
  #82
beeker16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
I love it when people doubt Belfour.

It's just like when he signed on and everyone was still on their CuJo high. Suddenly it's "Cujo Who?" after people saw firsthand how good Eddie still is.

It'd be different if the Leafs had the firepower and disciplined D to win games without having to rely on the goaltender steal games for them, but that's not always the case.

Exhibit A:
"Eddie was the reason why they hung around,'' Brodeur said. "I don't think they played that well. They can't be happy about 51 shots in their own building.'

And lets not forget who blanked the Sens twice in the playoffs.
Why bring the Sens up right now? Because it's not Lalime the Leafs have to deal with anymore - it'll be Hasek remember?

And who better to have in net then the guy who one upped him in the 99 cup finals?


Eddie's proven himself.
Why does he need to do it again?

Belfour stays.

beeker16 is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 03:33 AM
  #83
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Yes, Eddy stays.

LeafErikson* is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 03:41 AM
  #84
ThinMcWhistle
Registered User
 
ThinMcWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern hemisphere
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16
I love it when people doubt Belfour.

It's just like when he signed on and everyone was still on their CuJo high. Suddenly it's "Cujo Who?" after people saw firsthand how good Eddie still is.

It'd be different if the Leafs had the firepower and disciplined D to win games without having to rely on the goaltender steal games for them, but that's not always the case.

Exhibit A:
"Eddie was the reason why they hung around,'' Brodeur said. "I don't think they played that well. They can't be happy about 51 shots in their own building.'

And lets not forget who blanked the Sens twice in the playoffs.
Why bring the Sens up right now? Because it's not Lalime the Leafs have to deal with anymore - it'll be Hasek remember?

And who better to have in net then the guy who one upped him in the 99 cup finals?


Eddie's proven himself.
Why does he need to do it again?

Belfour stays.
I agree with you 100%. However, there is a reason why Gordie Howe doesn't play anymore either.....TOO OLD. Remember that It'll be 2 years later because of the lockout.

ThinMcWhistle is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 03:48 AM
  #85
LeeIs
M a t s
 
LeeIs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16
And lets not forget who blanked the Sens twice in the playoffs.
It was actually 3. Out of the 4 games we needed to eliminate the Sens, Eddie had 3 shutouts (not easy shutouts either from what I remember) and the 4th game he probably let in 2 goals max!

Anyways, I'm all for keeping Eddie! Letting him go now after such a stellar season would definately increase the possibility of being eliminated by the Sens!! (if we ever do meet them in the PO's this season) Oh, that thought makes my skin crawl.


Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! For atleast one more year. Come on folks show some ****ing gratitude!!

LeeIs is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 03:56 AM
  #86
Homer J. Leafs
Registered User
 
Homer J. Leafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Justin&Mats was here
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Who else want Belfour gone?

I don't
he's good
who is better than him? and who's gonna sign for less money?
no one
keep Eddie, avoid the Flyers in the playoffs and the Leafs will be fine
thank you

Homer J. Leafs is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 10:11 AM
  #87
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Keep your smart ass comments to yourself.
What - and deprive this Board of its most consistently literate (but hardly most knowledgeable) posts? If I kept my comments to myself it would lead to widespread gloom as posters would wander the darkness with lanterns seeking the light. I couldn't do it - I care for too many of these posters, most of whom have exponentially increased my knowledge of hockey.

So, alas, I shall not follow your considered and helpful advice.

And thanks for telling me that my ass is smart. I've been working on it.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 10:18 AM
  #88
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
easy sonny. as mess says, if you can't respect your elders, at least respect your betters (sorry if I messed that up mess). He is just looking for the way you know his back will be fine. Pretty bold statement that you have no way to "back" up (pardon the pun).

I'm for keeping Eddie, but I have no way of knowing if he'll play 60 games or 20. And neither do you. BUT, I also have no way of know if Mats will play 82 or 2.

Thanks for the support. I can usually hold my own with subtle "so's your old man" types of criticisms but I have no problem with having someone else fight my battles. If it was good enough for Gretzky....

While you are quite correct in saying that it is impossible to predict how many games Mats or Eddie will play next year there are some objective data that can lead to more or less educated guesses. True, Mats could take a high stick to the eye in the first week, or break his leg, or get hit by a bus. But Mats's age and physical history would lead to a higher percentage guess that he would play the bulk of the schedule while Eddie's age and back problems would lead to a higher percentage guess that he may well not play the bulk of the schedule.

Guesses, sure. Guarantees - no. Absolute facts, nah. Just elementary statistical data leading to higher probability predictions.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 10:35 AM
  #89
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Thanks for the support. I can usually hold my own with subtle "so's your old man" types of criticisms but I have no problem with having someone else fight my battles. If it was good enough for Gretzky....

While you are quite correct in saying that it is impossible to predict how many games Mats or Eddie will play next year there are some objective data that can lead to more or less educated guesses. True, Mats could take a high stick to the eye in the first week, or break his leg, or get hit by a bus. But Mats's age and physical history would lead to a higher percentage guess that he would play the bulk of the schedule while Eddie's age and back problems would lead to a higher percentage guess that he may well not play the bulk of the schedule.

Guesses, sure. Guarantees - no. Absolute facts, nah. Just elementary statistical data leading to higher probability predictions.
OK, then plot this on your curve -

59
62
60
63
62


And then plot this:

61
61
46
50
<skip strike>
70

First grouping -- games played 1999-2004
Second grouping -- games played 1991-1999

How does affect your standard deviation curve? Let's not even talk about GAA or SV% or winning percentage.

Belfour will be just fine. Very, very good I am sure.

wasting time is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 10:43 AM
  #90
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
How does affect your standard deviation curve? Let's not even talk about GAA or SV% or winning percentage.

Belfour will be just fine. Very, very good I am sure.
Nobody here has ever questioned Belfour's brilliance while a Leaf, and for that matter for the many years before he came here. Certainly not I.

I hope he will be fine. I hope he will be very, very good. He may well be fine and very,very good.

I just think and have the opinion that placing all of our eggs in Eddie's basket is a risky strategy.

I would prefer that you be right in your opinion. I just lack your assuredness and can see no logical reason to attain that blessed state.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 12:17 PM
  #91
Kardi
Registered User
 
Kardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Hope is not a strategy. Assuming your approach has no flaw (which me thinks it does), what if the Rangers decide to sign Weekes? Then what?
sign cujo
done

Kardi is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 12:36 PM
  #92
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Nobody here has ever questioned Belfour's brilliance while a Leaf, and for that matter for the many years before he came here. Certainly not I.

I hope he will be fine. I hope he will be very, very good. He may well be fine and very,very good.

I just think and have the opinion that placing all of our eggs in Eddie's basket is a risky strategy.

I would prefer that you be right in your opinion. I just lack your assuredness and can see no logical reason to attain that blessed state.

My strategy would be the same as the Messenger. Give Telly the chance this full year as the back up and sign the best veteran you can on the Marlies in case Belfour gets hurt. If that is Aubin, then fine, or try try for better.

it is a better approach than any other I can think of.

wasting time is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 12:39 PM
  #93
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi
sign cujo
done
ick

wasting time is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 12:56 PM
  #94
SensItComing
Registered User
 
SensItComing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
I Want Belfour Gone.

Go with Telquist, It'll give the Sens a better chance for the cup.

SensItComing is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 01:12 PM
  #95
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 36,331
vCash: 500
im a bit nervous about his age

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 01:47 PM
  #96
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
My strategy would be the same as the Messenger. Give Telly the chance this full year as the back up and sign the best veteran you can on the Marlies in case Belfour gets hurt. If that is Aubin, then fine, or try try for better.

it is a better approach than any other I can think of.

At last we appear on the same page. Hallelujah!

Given the size and length of Eddie's contract we could not better pursue any strategy except the above.

But I sure wish we had something a bit more dependable in our goalie plans.

It truly is a case of keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Of course this is a long-time necessity for Leaf fans.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 01:49 PM
  #97
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensItComing
I Want Belfour Gone.

Go with Telquist, It'll give the Sens a better chance for the cup.

Helpful, useful comment by poor sucker who has never had the opportunity to see a big-game goalie in the Sens' net, especially in the spring.

Ah, memories of Lalime in the first period of game seven. Aaaaaah.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 02:08 PM
  #98
GBG BLEED BLUE
Registered User
 
GBG BLEED BLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Saskatoon,Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to GBG BLEED BLUE
If Belfor is able to play one or two more productive seasons then I would want him back. If he is not able to play because of his age or any other reason then I think we will have to go to the Free agent market to get a #1 goalie. I think Tellquist could be our #1 in a few years,now I think he will have to settle for the backup position. If we have a goalie that is ready to make the jump to the Leafs then give whoever that will be, a chance?

GBG BLEED BLUE is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
  #99
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
At last we appear on the same page. Hallelujah!

Given the size and length of Eddie's contract we could not better pursue any strategy except the above.

But I sure wish we had something a bit more dependable in our goalie plans.

It truly is a case of keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Of course this is a long-time necessity for Leaf fans.

Yes -- BUT --

You say that we could not pursue a better strategy because of his contract; so JFJ made a mistake to resign Belfour. << this is you

I also say that we could not pursue a better strategy because of his contract. However, I laud JFJ for signing that contract. << this is me

wasting time is offline  
Old
07-26-2005, 07:59 PM
  #100
goleafsgo
Registered User
 
goleafsgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: In front of TV
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,012
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
I have absolutly no interests on seeing Belfour leave, unless were getting a top dog goalie in return.

goleafsgo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.