HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew Doughty, the person. Not the player.

Old
03-05-2011, 05:53 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Drew Doughty, the person. Not the player.

At what point is it ok to respect Drew's talent but realise that he's a classless jerk and an embarrasment to the Kings and hockey? Every damn game I have to see him throw a tantrum, curse at the camera, take a cheap shot when he gets a vendetta in his head, talk trash, showboat, and now dive. He checks mentally checks out of games. The kid has a couple screws loose. He begged for that dive call for his showing up the ref. The guy had to be detained and was litteraly chasing the ref who was running away. I knew he was going to get kicked out or do something worse.

I'm going to get raked over the coals for this thread but if was just an average talent everyone would hate this guy. The fans, the media, and I'm sure his teammates would not appreciate his act. This is not a knee jerk reaction. Everyone knows that I have been saying this since the playoffs last year.

I am embarrassed as a Kings fan. I am certain there will be some heat Drew is about to take. The guy is still one of my favorite Kings but I can't respect him as a person.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:55 PM
sweatypickle

leadership baby!

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
OldGreatWestern

Yeah... he plays with passion. He also looks like he is having more fun playing hockey than anyone else in the NHL.

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:00 PM
nki

I liked him last year, he played with an edge but he looked more Lidstromesque than Phaneufesque.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Orenji

I agree in some extents. Sometimes he does go a little overboard. Today was one of these days. He was obviously frustrated over the last goal in a close game, and he snapped. The next time he felt a Canucks player touch him, he just fell to the ice. He didn't have a good game today and handled himself poorly. He got kicked out with 30 seconds and seemed to be checked out of the game after Daniel checked him from behind on the goal.

Should have that been a penalty on the Canucks? Maybe. Maybe not. Doughty is probably stronger than Daniel, so maybe he could have stayed stronger on his skates, but nobody will know since they aren't Drew or Daniel Sedin.

He just didn't have a good game today all-around. He missed wide on almost every shot.

And honestly, I'm sure he's a nice guy. I've never heard anyone talk bad about Doughty off the ice. I just think he needs to play a little smarter if this team wants to get into the playoffs. These silly penalties will kill us.

Last edited by Orenji: 03-05-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

I don't know him as a person.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreatWestern View Post
Yeah... he plays with passion. He also looks like he is having more fun playing hockey than anyone else in the NHL.
This is what I'm talking about. There is no objectivity here. What on earth makes you think he's having more fun playing hockey than everyone? The guy is habitualy angry, I've never seen him smile, his interviews show no emotion. This post is hyperbole that you have bought into.

Old
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

He plays with passion and I will take a little of the unsportsmanlike conduct to see this kid play any day.

If you are embarrassed as a Kings fan, then I suggest you take a trip down the I-5 and become a Ducks fan.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Shellz

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
This is what I'm talking about. There is no objectivity here. What on earth makes you think he's having more fun playing hockey than everyone? The guy is habitualy angry, I've never seen him smile, his interviews show no emotion. This post is hyperbole that you have bought into.
That's just not true. Drew spends most of his time running around smiling. If anything he's just a bit to happy go lucky.

Now what is true is that he's got a temper. One hell of a temper but I don't think your post is all that accurate. Full on Doughty tempers aren't all that common. Does seem to happen against the Canucks though.... Don't think he's a big fan of them.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:12 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:12 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Damn Jack must be posting from the lockerroom
What the hell does this even mean? Are you saying that since I am a fan of Jack Johnson I have an agenda against Drew? That's BS, but even if I did have an agenda against Drew what does that have anything to do with Drew's embarrassing acts?

I love Drew, the player. I love young defenseman so it's natural that I would be drawn towards Drew. With that said, I absolutely hate athletes that act like that. Are you not embarrassed by his actions?

Old
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
He needs to play with a cooler head or direct his anger towards other players. Get mad, go hit somebody harder. Get mad, get in a fight, take one of their guys with you. Get mad, put the puck on net and help us score. Don't take us out of the game with an ill-advised dive and don't get a 10 minute misconduct.

It was an immature play from Drew in a game that was very heated. Experience will cool his head.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Maybe you just dont like him?

He is always smiling. The guy just loves the game of hockey, and most of us can see it in his expressions...

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Tadite

Quote:

I love Drew, the player. I love young defenseman so it's natural that I would be drawn towards Drew. With that said, I absolutely hate athletes that act like that. Are you not embarrassed by his actions?

No not at all. Guys a 21 year old defensemen who just saw the game stolen by a dick play and a **** ref. And it's from a team that this has happened before. We have a bit of a history of **** calls against the Canucks.

I'd be more worried if during a very physical game with a whole hell of a lot of suspicious after whistle contact he wasn't pissed. So he was telling the refs they're a bunch of *****. Not like the whole arena wasn't doing the samet hing!

Hell Mitchell looked like he wanted to kill Burrows. Which was a unexpected as he'd been on the Canucks for years!

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

I like the passion. He wants to win. I'll take that over being listless. I know lots of guys who were quickly fired up who are in their early twenties. He'll settle when he gets older.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Jetteroheller

He got elbowed in the head and went down....did he embellish it a little bit? Hell yes, did he deserve a diving call on it? Hell no, do you know how many diving calls there should be every game if that was diving? LOTS! i see guys go down for WAY less all the time in pretty much every game i watch.

Also how there wasnt an interference call on the canucks second goal i have no idea as well, Quick took a shoulder to the head just as the pass was coming across the crease and then on top of that Doughty was checked from behind right into Quick, both of which interfered with him having a reasonable chance to make that save.

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:27 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Rob Blake was his mentor, it's not Drew's fault.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
kingscourt26

He is extremely talented but if he can't get his psyche and talent aligned, it will not pay off. The young Canadians coming through the system have a bit of an ego...it's what cost them the world juniors.

He dove in front of the net and it cost the Kings the game. If you want to blame this on the refs, watch it again and tell me it's that easy for a jab to the lower back to knock over 200+ pounds of hockey player who lives on skates. He should only be mad at himself and his attitude the rest of the game was affected by that.

Again, great player, but needs to grow up.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
At what point is it ok to respect Drew's talent but realise that he's a classless jerk and an embarrasment to the Kings and hockey? Every damn game I have to see him throw a tantrum, curse at the camera, take a cheap shot when he gets a vendetta in his head, talk trash, showboat, and now dive. He checks mentally checks out of games. The kid has a couple screws loose. He begged for that dive call for his showing up the ref. The guy had to be detained and was litteraly chasing the ref who was running away. I knew he was going to get kicked out or do something worse.

I'm going to get raked over the coals for this thread but if was just an average talent everyone would hate this guy. The fans, the media, and I'm sure his teammates would not appreciate his act. This is not a knee jerk reaction. Everyone knows that I have been saying this since the playoffs last year.

I am embarrassed as a Kings fan. I am certain there will be some heat Drew is about to take. The guy is still one of my favorite Kings but I can't respect him as a person.

There's the problem. I wouldn't worry, he'll grow up soon.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Shellz

Drew Doughty as a player:

Quote:
Question: Did any of the officials say anything to you about the non-call?

DOUGHTY: “No, they didn’t talk to me. I was just kind of yelling at them, I guess. That’s one thing I’ve got to work on. I get frustrated at the refs too often, and sometimes I say things I wish I didn’t say. It’s something I’ve got to learn from.”

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Cruel11
Maximoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Drew Doughty as a player:
Thanks for quote Shellz.

He is young, he is still learning.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
If he wasn't mad about losing, then I'd be worried.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
No not at all. Guys a 21 year old defensemen who just saw the game stolen by a dick play and a **** ref. !
Give me a break. The game wasn't stolen at all. First of all there was 8:26 left in the game. Drew Doughty just mentally gave up. You believe he gave up too or you would not have just given that excuse. If you are a professional player you have to be mentally tough. Drew continualy checks out of games and does not come to camp in shape. He proves is not mentaly stable.

Second, the game was tied 1-1. They were not leading with 10 seconds left in the game. They didn't have a damn thing taken, and to be quite honest Sedin barely pushed him. It happens every game, it just doesn't always result in a goal.

You called Sedin a dick and the ref a dick. That's rich. Sedin was just playing hockey, the ref just missed a call. The only person that was doing what he shouldn't have was Doughty. You know, litteraly chasing a ref who is running away is in fact being a "dick".

Old
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetteroheller View Post
He got elbowed in the head and went down....did he embellish it a little bit? Hell yes, did he deserve a diving call on it? Hell no, do you know how many diving calls there should be every game if that was diving? LOTS! i see guys go down for WAY less all the time in pretty much every game i watch.

That would have never had been a penalty had Drew not shown up the ref, chased him across the ice, and acted like he did. It's not like the call isn't in the rule books. It was punishment that he begged for.