HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

slimer's game one player review

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 08:33 AM
slimer

vCash: 500
slimer's game one player review

Rating in ().

Osgood – (9) One of the best games I’ve seen Osgood play in the net. The first goal against was a deflection, and the second was a screened shot. He made several nice saves on breakaways.

Weight – (8) Did a good job of controlling the play when he was on the ice. He made several nifty passes in the offensive zone creating opportunities for his linemates. He also played well on the PK.

Pronger – (8) Very steady defensively. He broke up several rushes with timely pokechecks. He also made a few nice outlet passes in transition.

Walt – (8) Made sure the defense knew he was on the ice. Played a physical game and used bull like rushes to create scoring chances. Showed great hand eye coordination on the goal batted out of mid air.

Mac – (7.5) Steady defensively. Moved the puck well. Didn’t get many of his booming shots on net.

Baron – (7) Physical defensive presence. Played like the Baron that I remember from his old days with the Blues. A real asset in the defensive zone.

Cajanek – (7) Played a good two way game. He carried the puck well through the neutral zone, and made some nice passes in the offensive zone. He could use at least one good offensive winger to help sustain pressure in the offensive zone.

Rycroft – (6.5) Filled Mell’s role admirably. He played a scrappy game and came away with the puck several times in battles in the corner. He showed enough offensive ability to avoid being a detriment to a scoring line, while adding energy and grit to that line.

Danton – (6.5) Played the role of a pest well. Jawed with the opposition, hit at every opportunity, and stuck up for his teammates.

Jackman – (6) Offensive game looks to have improved. Surprisingly, it seems to have come at the expense of his defensive game. He was out of position a few times and was just beaten a few times. This was a off game for Jackman.

Sejna – (6) Just didn’t create many opportunities for himself or his linemates offensively. He wasn’t a liability defensively, but he wasn’t a big asset in his own end either. I was a little disappointed considering all the hype.

Khavanov – (6) Didn’t make any of those glaring mistakes defensively that happen to him on occasion. Played a solid game offensively.

Demitra – (5.5) For Demitra, this was a very bad game. Controlled the puck well at times, but turned it over more than usual. He didn’t create much offensively and missed on a great opportunity created by Walt. He just looked a little nervous or something.

Mayers – (5.5) Very quick, but has hands of stone. Forechecked well.

Heerema – (5.5) Quick, but didn’t do much with the puck when he had it. He just didn’t seem very creative offensively. He forechecked a little, but didn’t create much of the forecheck.

R. Johnson – (5.5) Also quick, but didn’t do much with the puck when he had it. Played a solid defensive game.

Nickluas – (5) Didn’t do much offensively. Banged a little, but took a costly penalty.

LaFlamme – (5) Didn’t get much ice time. He didn’t make any glaring mistakes, but didn’t do much with the little time on the ice that he had.

Low – (3) He just looked really slow. He tried to play physical, but he was always a step late. He also seemed to forget his role as an enforcer.

The Blues outplayed the Coyotes, but not by much. Too many Blues underachieved in Phoenix. It’s always good to come away with a point when you’re on the road. However, if the Blues continue to have a tough time against the Coyotes of the league, then they won’t be considered a cup contender for long.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:41 AM
bluebleeder38

I also thought Osgood played very well, and I was impressed with Rycroft. Ladislav Nagy had a great game for Phoenix and on one play made Jackman look pretty bad, and Osgood had to make a great save.

Old
10-11-2003, 01:59 PM
degroat*

All you of you people jumping to conclusions are friggin' hillarious...and you didn't watch the game very closely. Sejna was one of the only forwards that actually did anything out there. There were a number of times where he forechecked a LOT and caused turnovers.

BTW... there is a game day thread for this sort of thing.

Old
10-11-2003, 02:34 PM
bluebleeder38

Yeah I didn't think Sejna played that badly, hilarious to see "genius" John Hadley say on his website, "Peter Sejna needs to stop playing like a fifth-grader entering high school."

Old
10-11-2003, 03:47 PM
slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
All you of you people jumping to conclusions are friggin' hillarious...and you didn't watch the game very closely. Sejna was one of the only forwards that actually did anything out there. There were a number of times where he forechecked a LOT and caused turnovers.

BTW... there is a game day thread for this sort of thing.
Well the game is over. So making conclusions on the game seems to be appropriate.

Also, it isn't game day, so why should this be in the game day thread.

One more thing, I watched the game very closely. I didn't say Sejna played poorly. I just said that I expected more. The only scoring chance he was involved with was a rebound that he should have scored. I still have high hopes for him, but I hope he plays better than he did yesterday.

Old
10-12-2003, 04:25 AM
DaBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer
Well the game is over. So making conclusions on the game seems to be appropriate.

Also, it isn't game day, so why should this be in the game day thread.

One more thing, I watched the game very closely. I didn't say Sejna played poorly. I just said that I expected more. The only scoring chance he was involved with was a rebound that he should have scored. I still have high hopes for him, but I hope he plays better than he did yesterday.
This is the exact reason Sejna won't win the Calder. Everyone is expecting his to have a great season, not just a great season for a rookie.

I for one thought he looked good. Much better than most rookie in their SECOND NHL game. Let's watch him for 20 games and then decide if he's still not being 'creative offensively.'

Closed Thread