HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Kreider (Broken Jaw; Out 4-6 Weeks)

Old
03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Rangers have enough bottom six forwards. They're going to need another top six winger.

Hagelin is going to have to wait until Avery's contract expires after '11-'12 (next season) to take a spot in the bottom six.

Kreider is a top six talent. The Rangers know it. He's going to make the team.

I'd prefer both of them make the roster. But unless Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, Zuccarello, Wolski, Avery, Prust are shown the door, its doubtful Hagelin gets a spot next year. Numbers game. Kreider is a top six talent, Hagelin is not.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I fully expect him to be given a shot at 2nd line LW next season with Anisimov/Stepan and Callahan
So he's better than Dubinsky already?

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

He'll be in the NHL next season. This whole board practically swore up and down Stepan would not be on the team this year. Kreider has better physical tools than Stepan has. So if Stepan is here, I'm sure with a good camp/pre-season Kreider will be too.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He has not dominated college enough to be an NHLer. He needs to stay in college or go to the minors. No way he's NHL ready.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:11 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
He'll be in the NHL next season. This whole board practically swore up and down Stepan would not be on the team this year. Kreider has better physical tools than Stepan has. So if Stepan is here, I'm sure with a good camp/pre-season Kreider will be too.
That doesn't necessarily make him a lock to be on the team, due to the fact that Stepan's mental aspects of the game are much more developed than Kreider's.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:15 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
That doesn't necessarily make him a lock to be on the team, due to the fact that Stepan's mental aspects of the game are much more developed than Kreider's.
I also said with a good camp/pre-season he will be on the team.

Also when I bring up his physical skills, I'm alluding to the folks that used Stepan lack of physical talent as one of the reasons he would not be on this years team.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Stepan2Dubi

Ill tell you why he is going to turn pro. Main reason and he will never say it but .... When playing a sport like this it is very very easy to get hurt. Like he just did. Now with him breaking his jaw he will say to himself god forbid this was a knee or something it can ruin my future.

So with him getting hurt like this. It has just opened the door for him to be with the big team next year. Once he signs he will get his contract and he will be getting paid to play where god forbid anything happens he still has $ to fall back on.

He can always graduate in the summer and take classes and poop. So that's not the issue. He will be here come Sept fighting for a spot and something tells me he will be with the whale for 20 games then get called up like Zucc and McD.

Stepan2Dubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan2Dubi View Post
Ill tell you why he is going to turn pro. Main reason and he will never say it but .... When playing a sport like this it is very very easy to get hurt. Like he just did. Now with him breaking his jaw he will say to himself god forbid this was a knee or something it can ruin my future.

So with him getting hurt like this. It has just opened the door for him to be with the big team next year. Once he signs he will get his contract and he will be getting paid to play where god forbid anything happens he still has $ to fall back on.

He can always graduate in the summer and take classes and poop. So that's not the issue. He will be here come Sept fighting for a spot and something tells me he will be with the whale for 20 games then get called up like Zucc and McD.
I just don't see him going to the Whale, I was right about Stepan making the team, and I think Kreider makes the team next season as well

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:58 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
6-2, 218.
Uh oh, he's already lost 2 pounds in only 6 posts! He was 220 when Steven Mastrosimone posted!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:24 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Either way Kreider weighs more than Artie, so that's a good sign. His jaw being broken doesn't set him back in anyone's opinion?

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Either way Kreider weighs more than Artie, so that's a good sign. His jaw being broken doesn't set him back in anyone's opinion?
He'll lose weight in the short-term, that's for sure.

Find me one person who broke their jaw who doesn't lose 10+ pounds when they have their mouth wired shut.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:38 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
He'll lose weight in the short-term, that's for sure.

Find me one person who broke their jaw who doesn't lose 10+ pounds when they have their mouth wired shut.
What a terrible injury. It's like he can work out, so physically it's not as bad as like a knee injury, but mentally this could be rough on CK.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Stepanformayor*

To compare Stepan and Kreider is dumb, they are two different players. Stepan was second in the country in scoring last year for Wisconsin, and Kreider has 23 points in 32 games. I am not saying that Kreider wont make this team at some point, I am just saying that 23 points does not convince me that we just give him a spot on this team. Not ready for prime time!!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Rangers have enough bottom six forwards. They're going to need another top six winger.

Hagelin is going to have to wait until Avery's contract expires after '11-'12 (next season) to take a spot in the bottom six.

Kreider is a top six talent. The Rangers know it. He's going to make the team.

I'd prefer both of them make the roster. But unless Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, Zuccarello, Wolski, Avery, Prust are shown the door, its doubtful Hagelin gets a spot next year. Numbers game. Kreider is a top six talent, Hagelin is not.
Wanna bet regarding Kreider's 2011-2012 season?

Here, Ill set the over/under of Krieder's NHL games during that year at 41. Considering this broken jaw, Im going to take the under. I would too, if I were you.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Grachev has better physical tools than Stepan too.

Give me the guy with the best hockey brain.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:50 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

My gut says give Kreider one more year.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:54 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
So he's better than Dubinsky already?
No, my ideal Rangers lineup for next year looks like;

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Krieder-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Prust-Boyle-Hagelin

Avery is a defensive liability and since he doesn't play special teams, I can see Hagelin taking his spot and Avery and Chrsitensen being the extras. I hope that Werek and Horak have a say in this as well.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:06 AM
ruckus*

I think he might stay. He didn't give off a lot of an impression before this year about feeling ready. I wonder if this injury and not being able to play in these tournaments makes him want to return one more time. He'll know for sure after next year he's most likely going straight to the Rangers anyway.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:15 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Age doesn't matter.

He never played for the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), so he would've been eligible to join right after the draft if both he and Rangers wanted, IIRC.
wrong

grachev played in the ohl then went to the ahl at 19. it's all about where ur drafted out of

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Would Kreider even be elidgble Age wise to play for the Whale???

Not to mention there is no reason to Rush this kid, just because we desperatly need scoring doesnt mean we should ruin his career and rush him into a situation he isnt comfortable in.
It's a mute point. He's turning 20 this year, which means he's eligible to play in the AHL regardless.

If he were to play in juniors, it would have to be as an overage player, which is a privilege usually granted only to a handful of players who have already played in juniors.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Jxmarts

I have never seen such hype for a player with such mediocre production.

I've been following hockey for nearly 40 years, and I cannot recall one instance where a college forward who did not exceed a point per game stepped into the NHL and assumed a role as a productive top 6 forward the next season.

It's also extremely rare that a college forward who did not average a point per game by his sophomore season ever became a productive scorer at any point in his career. Brian Boyle & Rene Bourque are two rare examples of this, but they didn't score 20 goals until they were 26 & 28 respectively.

If anyone can come up with more examples of players making this kind of jump, I would be happy to stand corrected. Otherwise, I think we're expecting too much of this kid.

If the majority of posters here are right about Kreider, it would be an extreme rarity, if not a first, in NHL history. The Rangers should only be so lucky.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:37 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I have never seen such hype for a player with such mediocre production.

I've been following hockey for nearly 40 years, and I cannot recall one instance where a college forward who did not exceed a point per game stepped into the NHL and assumed a role as a productive top 6 forward the next season.

It's also extremely rare that a college forward who did not average a point per game by his sophomore season ever became a productive scorer at any point in his career. Brian Boyle & Rene Bourque are two rare examples of this, but they didn't score 20 goals until they were 26 & 28 respectively.

If anyone can come up with more examples of players making this kind of jump, I would be happy to stand corrected. Otherwise, I think we're expecting too much of this kid.

If the majority of posters here are right about Kreider, it would be an extreme rarity, if not a first, in NHL history. The Rangers should only be so lucky.
Did you watch the WJC? Kreider is more talented and more of a professional then all of his teammates, yet they have better numbers then him (some way better, like Zucker). Jeremy Morin looked like absolute crap, and he tore up the OHL the season before, and looked good in his NHL stunts. Juniors/NCAA stats aren't everything.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:09 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Uh oh, he's already lost 2 pounds in only 6 posts! He was 220 when Steven Mastrosimone posted!
Lol I believe he said "around 220".

Last September he weighed in at 218. That was coming from the New York Rangers.

At the end of the NCAA season last year he weighed 207.

In a few short months of intense training, which is how he rolls, he put on 10 lbs of muscle.

He will probably be at or over 220 by the time camp opens in September.

A 6-2, 220+ lbs, 20 year old, two way, responsible winger, with intense work ethic, elite skating speed, an elite level shot, quick hands, listens to his coaches, and has a winning team-first mentality.

Yeah, he's making the roster out of camp.

Old
03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Not that bad. Just a jaw, he will prob be playing with the Rangers next year.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'd be more concerned about his development if he steamrolled 16 year olds in the QMJHL for the last two years, without learning a thing about two way play.

Instead he played in a winning environment the last two years, playing against 18-22 year olds, learning a responsible two way game.

He's more pro ready then the stats will indicate.