HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recall or two coming? (Assigned: Mancari (3/9))

Old
03-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

vCash: 500
Mancari? Meh.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:42 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
What did he say???
See below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Very interesting comments from Mark Mancari this morning after practice on post trade deadline day.

It was sort of a Freudian slip, but he hinted really strongly that this was his last season in the Sabres organization... I think we all knew that, but for him to come out and say that in effect was rather surprising.

He appeared to be disappointed that he wasn't moved yesterday, but did say that if it was a minor league deal he'd just rather stay in Portland because of the city and coaching staff... I'll have more later today with the regular game action.
I don't really see a point in playing him anymore since he doesn't want to be a part of our organization anymore and he is surely leaving this summer, as he will be a Group VI UFA.
I know, CapGeek reports RFA, but Group VI is a special UFA group for players who are 25 or older that have three or more years professional experience and less than 80 NHL games played.
I'm assuming they don't account for this until the end of the year because of the number of games played and the fact that the players that are eligible for Group VI usually have little to no upside and no one really cares if they are going to be losing them.

Both Parrish and Stuart are UFA's too, but they willingly came to our organization and I'd like to see them back next season.
I think they'd both fit a bottom six role better than Mancari too.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
See below:

I don't really see a point in playing him anymore since he doesn't want to be a part of our organization anymore and he is surely leaving this summer, as he will be a Group VI UFA.
I know, CapGeek reports RFA, but Group VI is a special UFA group for players who are 25 or older that have three or more years professional experience and less than 80 NHL games played.
I'm assuming they don't account for this until the end of the year because of the number of games played and the fact that the players that are eligible for Group VI usually have little to no upside and no one really cares if they are going to be losing them.

Both Parrish and Stuart are UFA's too, but they willingly came to our organization and I'd like to see them back next season.
I think they'd both fit a bottom six role better than Mancari too.
calling Mancari up makes sense, in the fact that he has EVERYTHING to prove. so what if it's his last season with the franchise... it's like the "contract year" thing times 100

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:04 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
calling Mancari up makes sense, in the fact that he has EVERYTHING to prove. so what if it's his last season with the franchise... it's like the "contract year" thing times 100
Exactly, spot on. He has even more reason to give everything that he has in order to get a better chance of making an NHL team next year

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
joshjull

I don't see anything in Mancari's comments to be mad about. In his situation I would've hoped for the same thing. A trade to a team where he would get a look while playing in the NHL for the rest of the year.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
wyldthing89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Not sure where his game is at the moment but you think they would have considered it.

From what I've seen I've never been a fan of Mancari. I'd prefer them to give Adam or Byron a go TBH.

I suppose Boyes is playing in the middle now too?
I don't really know either but he wasn't that bad with the Isles, i know injuries slowed him but did he drop that much to stay a full year in the minors without getting at least 1 call up ???

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
boots electric

every time this guy gets called up he inevitably gets at least one wide open net and can never seem to put it home due to bouncing pucks, great saves, or just plain poor shots.

i feel for him big time. the deck has been stacked against him a bit in this organization, and every time he gets his chance, it just doesn't work out for one reason or another. here's hoping he shows up on the score sheet in some capacity tomorrow.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:31 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Why should the organization allow him to prove anything after how he has acted?
It's not just his recent comments that I have a problem with, but also the previous contract hold out.

He's a tweener that can't cut it at the NHL level.
His skating and hockey smarts aren't good enough to play in a top 6 role and he doesn't have the physicality or well-rounded game to play in the bottom 6.
Some try to use the 19 games excuse, but like others have said, he's had his opportunities to make the team out of camp multiple times.
He's already proven what kind of player he is.

What he does or doesn't do now will not have any effect on his contract next year.
Teams are aware that he is not a full time NHL player.
He will either receive a two-way contract and make the maximum AHL salary and the minimum NHL salary or some organization will give him a one-way contract because they really want his services for their farm team (see Alex Giroux).
He may also sign in Europe, the SM-liiga being a likely destination in my opinion because of the fact that their ice surface dimensions are similar to North American ice surfaces.
Metallurg Novokuznetsk, the worst team in the KHL, may also offer up big money and ice time if their attempts to sign Mikko Lehtonen and Oskar Osala fall through.

So, he can either make a.) $105k with the possibility of close to minimum NHL salary if he is recalled, b.) close to minimum NHL salary on a one-way contract if a team wants to use him to help sell their farm team, or c.) $200-300k in Europe.
Nothing he does now will change any of this.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Why should the organization allow him to prove anything after how he has acted?
It's not just his recent comments that I have a problem with, but also the previous contract hold out.

He's a tweener that can't cut it at the NHL level.
His skating and hockey smarts aren't good enough to play in a top 6 role and he doesn't have the physicality or well-rounded game to play in the bottom 6.
Some try to use the 19 games excuse, but like others have said, he's had his opportunities to make the team out of camp multiple times.
He's already proven what kind of player he is.

What he does or doesn't do now will not have any effect on his contract next year.
Teams are aware that he is not a full time NHL player.
He will either receive a two-way contract and make the maximum AHL salary and the minimum NHL salary or some organization will give him a one-way contract because they really want his services for their farm team (see Alex Giroux).
He may also sign in Europe, the SM-liiga being a likely destination in my opinion because of the fact that their ice surface dimensions are similar to North American ice surfaces.
Metallurg Novokuznetsk, the worst team in the KHL, may also offer up big money and ice time if their attempts to sign Mikko Lehtonen and Oskar Osala fall through.

So, he can either make a.) $105k with the possibility of close to minimum NHL salary if he is recalled, b.) close to minimum NHL salary on a one-way contract if a team wants to use him to help sell their farm team, or c.) $200-300k in Europe.
Nothing he does now will change any of this.
or he can play two games for the Sabres this week, and no one needs to waste another breath on it.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:57 PM
jfb392

Quote:
or he can play two games for the Sabres this week, and no one needs to waste another breath on it.
Hey, all I did was express my opinion on the recall and then answered someone else's question.
I'm aware that the recall has already been made and that he will play for us, I just simply feel that we have two deserving players that can fill a bottom six role better than a tweener who has acted immaturely and simply does not have the skillset to fill a bottom six role, regardless of what he has to prove.

I'll remember not to express my opinion next time.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I too would have liked to see what Parrish could do. His best days are behind him but I think he could have been worthy of a call-up.

I've never been sold on Mancari and I don't think I'll ever be. So many forwards have jumped ahead of him on the depth chart over the years that I know he'll never be a regular in Buffalo. Adam and Byron have jumped him this year. If Mancari proves he's in NHL player, he'll do it elsewhere.

I can't help thinking he's a career AHLer at best though. He's been given so many chances and how far has he really come?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

With Kaleta out, and Hecht/Grier's status undecided, I think we'll see another callup. And that's 4 PKers out of the lineup (including Roy), so I think we'll see someone who can PK be called up. Ellis would be the obvious call, but he's hurt, so I think we see Stuart called up.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
With Kaleta out, and Hecht/Grier's status undecided, I think we'll see another callup. And that's 4 PKers out of the lineup (including Roy), so I think we'll see someone who can PK be called up. Ellis would be the obvious call, but he's hurt, so I think we see Stuart called up.
Agreed. I think it'll be Stuart, as well. What are the PK forward pairs now?

Goose-Pommer
Connolly-Nieds
McCormick-Stuart

?

Yikes, don't take many penalties, guys.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I too would have liked to see what Parrish could do. His best days are behind him but I think he could have been worthy of a call-up.

I've never been sold on Mancari and I don't think I'll ever be. So many forwards have jumped ahead of him on the depth chart over the years that I know he'll never be a regular in Buffalo. Adam and Byron have jumped him this year. If Mancari proves he's in NHL player, he'll do it elsewhere.

I can't help thinking he's a career AHLer at best though. He's been given so many chances and how far has he really come?
An eight-point (2-6) weekend must at least raise some eyebrows around the Sabres front office. They've had a lot of guys strive for the recall and we've seen both sides rewarded by it. He might have at least put himself in the running if Hecht and Grier are still shelved.

03-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
The Sabres need to put a forward on IR so they can do it under emergency recall conditions. Otherwise it counts against their allotted 4 standard recalls. They only have 2 remaining after calling up Mancari and Enroth. If they put one on IR, they may have to sit out games they're healthy enough to play in as they're ineligible to play for at least 7 days. If the Sabres use a standard recall they probably won't be inclined to return that player to Portland. I think they'll dress 7 dmen unless the medical staff determines that one of the injuries is IR worthy.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Ruff said this morning Parrish will get a look, and that a Sabre has the flu and might miss tonight's game. So it might be Parrish and one more.

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
The Sabres need to put a forward on IR so they can do it under emergency recall conditions. Otherwise it counts against their allotted 4 standard recalls. They only have 2 remaining after calling up Mancari and Enroth. If they put one on IR, they may have to sit out games they're healthy enough to play in as they're ineligible to play for at least 7 days. If the Sabres use a standard recall they probably won't be inclined to return that player to Portland. I think they'll dress 7 dmen unless the medical staff determines that one of the injuries is IR worthy.
Can't they use retro IR?

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
An eight-point (2-6) weekend must at least raise some eyebrows around the Sabres front office. They've had a lot of guys strive for the recall and we've seen both sides rewarded by it. He might have at least put himself in the running if Hecht and Grier are still shelved.
It looks like you're exactly right. Parrish is probably excited to play in the NHL this season and it could work out alright for us. If he rides the point streak, he could be helpful in the situation we're in. It's nice to have a veteran to recall so we don't always have to count on the prospects who are still learning to play at the pro level.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Can't they use retro IR?
Sure, if someone is out for at least 10 days..

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote