HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
03-02-2011, 08:44 PM
JimmyDarmody

vCash: 500
Released yesterday. Disgunbegood.gif.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsblue13 View Post
I'm starting up again. So i really do not have a certain workout plan. Anything you suggest?
take a multi and lift heavy

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

So... 3 days later, I weighed in at 178.2. Possibly a little bit of water weight in there. Done after morning work-out.

Not quite 180, but hey, I'll take 6-7 pounds.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
shao01

Hey guys I've been thinking about working for awhile now but never got to start. I know little, almost nothing about working out. Can people give me some pointers on how to get started? Here's my basic information.

Weight: 160 lbs
Height: about 5'9
My problem: I have a little bit of belly fat and have very little lean muscle. My arms are weak(can't do many push-ups) and somewhat poor balance. For sports I ice-skate and recently started doing martial arts.
Goal: I would like to build more lean muscle, develop a six-pack in the meantime if possible, and just being in better shape. I would also like to be more knowledgeable about anything and everything related to working out.

Any advice are welcome.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shao01 View Post
Hey guys I've been thinking about working for awhile now but never got to start. I know little, almost nothing about working out. Can people give me some pointers on how to get started? Here's my basic information.

Weight: 160 lbs
Height: about 5'9
My problem: I have a little bit of belly fat and have very little lean muscle. My arms are weak(can't do many push-ups) and somewhat poor balance. For sports I ice-skate and recently started doing martial arts.
Goal: I would like to build more lean muscle, develop a six-pack in the meantime if possible, and just being in better shape. I would also like to be more knowledgeable about anything and everything related to working out.

Any advice are welcome.
I would suggest a 12 or 13 week transformation. I've done it in the past and transformed my body. I haven't got back to my jelly belly and it's been 2 years.
P90x is a good one.
watch some videos on youtube.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
cedouimet

vCash: 1040
Hi all,

I've been wanting this for a while, but now i think i'm ready to lose weight!

I'd need a little help and some advices from all of you!

First, i do not train in a gym actually, and honestly, i don't have the budget for now.
Wife just started working after 4 years off work, thank her she gave me 2 nice children!

Height: 5'10''
Weight: 245pds
All the weight in the belly...honestly...lol

I'm ready to cut the junk and all that. I know about Eating veggies and fruits and drinking water. I need info on better stuff to eat. Just learn here that chicken is good for weight lost...see were i'm starting from!

I usually eat vegetables at every meal almost. Only thing i can't stand is asparagus and mushrooms!

And i'd need informations on what kind is a good portion for stuff and everything.

Anyways, Every information to start eating and/or moving without a gym... will be welcome here or in PM's

I promise i'm gonna take pictures to show you guys.

Oh, and my goal realisticly for now is 200pds.
I know healty weight would be 160...but let's aim 200 first.

thank you everyone!

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

So I said I'd post an update about my diet, and here it is. This is about as good as it gets since I'm such a picky eater, haha.

I normally cheat 2 or 3 times (meals) per 2-weeks.

I'm not sure the protein/carb/fat content; but here it is anyway.

Quote:
530pm - 2 egg omelettes (200 cal)
600pm - boxing (4-5 rounds x 3-4mins)
800pm - Sandwhich (450 cal)
930pm - 1 cup milk (100 cal)
1130pm - Rice, 2 chicken, broccoli, tomato (450 cal)
100am - 1 cup milk (100 cal)
230am - 1 chicken, 1 wrap (120 cal)
500am - tomato, 2 chicken (130 cal)
615am - 45-minute weight workout, 1 mile on treadmill (about 15minutes right now)
730am - protein shake (275 cal)

* I do the elliptical at home from time to time, usually in combination with boxing.

TOTAL: approximately 1800 calories daily
-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedouimet View Post
Hi all,

I've been wanting this for a while, but now i think i'm ready to lose weight!

I'd need a little help and some advices from all of you!

First, i do not train in a gym actually, and honestly, i don't have the budget for now.
Wife just started working after 4 years off work, thank her she gave me 2 nice children!

Height: 5'10''
Weight: 245pds
All the weight in the belly...honestly...lol

I'm ready to cut the junk and all that. I know about Eating veggies and fruits and drinking water. I need info on better stuff to eat. Just learn here that chicken is good for weight lost...see were i'm starting from!

I usually eat vegetables at every meal almost. Only thing i can't stand is asparagus and mushrooms!

And i'd need informations on what kind is a good portion for stuff and everything.

Anyways, Every information to start eating and/or moving without a gym... will be welcome here or in PM's

I promise i'm gonna take pictures to show you guys.

Oh, and my goal realisticly for now is 200pds.
I know healty weight would be 160...but let's aim 200 first.

thank you everyone!
Again, I'm no expert. I'm simply a person who has lost weight a few times (although last time I put it back on in College lol)

As much as it sucks, calorie count for the first few weeks. The "consensus" is usually to eat about 500-1000 calories less per day than you usually do.

You can eat A LOT of veggies and UNBREADED chicken breast. Seriously, I just bought about 50 small "half' chicken breasts and in all of them, there is only about 1,500 calories.

Personally, I'd try to cut your carbs way back if you're not doing exercise. Also, amussing you have a regular 6am-10pm type of day, try to wrap up eating carbs in the early afternoon.

Try to eat the least amount of "pre-packaged' food as possible, even though that might be harder.

Seriously, the weirdest is thing is that the healthier you tend to eat, the more you actually GET to eat.

5-6 smaller meals (I start higher, about 450 cals and slowly decrease until my last meals which are all around 150 with the exception of my protein shake.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 03-04-2011 at 07:34 PM.
One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:59 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I have a question for guys like Kriss E...

I didn't have measuring tape with me so I don't know the actual height of it but I tried to box jump the highest I could today. I stacked a couple of reebok steps and tried to gradually get to my max. The highest I could go was about one centimeter higher than the midway point between my nipple and the top of my shoulder. The jump was relatively easy but I got affraid to get higher because I could only go up in increments of about 2 inches.

So where do I stand compared to the guys who do it a lot? I have absolutely no comparaison point.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I have a question for guys like Kriss E...

I didn't have measuring tape with me so I don't know the actual height of it but I tried to box jump the highest I could today. I stacked a couple of reebok steps and tried to gradually get to my max. The highest I could go was about one centimeter higher than the midway point between my nipple and the top of my shoulder. The jump was relatively easy but I got affraid to get higher because I could only go up in increments of about 2 inches.

So where do I stand compared to the guys who do it a lot? I have absolutely no comparaison point.
Well, it really is necessary to know the height in order to be precise. When you start doing max height for box jumps, once you get to a high level, a mere inch can make the biggest difference, just like adding as little as 2.5lbs to a 1 RM once you're close to saturation. I guess knowing your height might be a good start.

I'm certainly not a pro box jumper, nor do I do them a lot (especially not for max height). The highest I jumped was 50.6 inches. Obviously this is done with both feet stuck together and from a standing still point. Both feet have to cleanly land on the box (or at that point, plates or steps). Not that this is the ''official'' way to go about it, it's just the way we did them.

The most I've seen in Crossfit from a standing still point (no one or two steps to help yourself), is around 56inches. If you can get up to 60, then I believe that is true athlete capabilities.

But if you're doing this in trying to improve power, you're better off doing vertical jumps. Max height jumps will greatly depend on flexibility as it focuses more on how high you can bring up your knees ( sometimes as high as your ears). If power is the objective, it should be done by working on making your centre of mass travel.

If you're able to get it with ease, without taking any steps, to a midway point between your nipple and top of shoulder, then you probably can get it to shoulder height. If you can do those jumps, then man, start working on some standing flips!

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

One thing that's helped me keep eating healthier is that I cook a bunch of chicken breasts and steaks on Sunday and then I put them in the fridge so I have lunch and dinner throughout the week. Usually I'll cook an entire bag of chicken breasts (8 breasts) and a few steaks. I'll either grill them or bake the chicken in the oven.

No one ever wants to cook daily so if you already have them cooked, you can just add whatever sauce you want and serve it with salad and rice or potatoes.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
One thing that's helped me keep eating healthier is that I cook a bunch of chicken breasts and steaks on Sunday and then I put them in the fridge so I have lunch and dinner throughout the week. Usually I'll cook an entire bag of chicken breasts (8 breasts) and a few steaks. I'll either grill them or bake the chicken in the oven.

No one ever wants to cook daily so if you already have them cooked, you can just add whatever sauce you want and serve it with salad and rice or potatoes.
I cook my chicken on a George Foreman. Takes like 3 minutes for 2 breasts.

Old
03-05-2011, 10:52 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I cook my chicken on a George Foreman. Takes like 3 minutes for 2 breasts.
I got tired of grilled chicken because I could never get it to stay juicy

Old
03-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
http://bbq.about.com/cs/chicken/a/aa063001a.htm

Brine it.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

When's the best time to weigh yourself to get a true body weight? Is it in the morning before breakfast?

Old
03-16-2011, 08:09 PM
speed11

Quote:
When's the best time to weigh yourself to get a true body weight? Is it in the morning before breakfast?
well it is the most consistent and you will weigh your lightest.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
well it is the most consistent and you will weigh your lightest.
How's it going man.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
After you wake up and do your "morning bathroom trip" since it will be consistent and will probably add to motivation since you will weigh less than when your body is full.

Quote:
Seriously, go out and buy a $25 George Foreman. It's cheap and you can cook 1-2 breasts on it. Throw the chicken in the fridge the night before so it dethaws and then throw it on the George Foreman. It'll be done in less than 5 minutes, still nice and juicy. Trust me, bro.

-----

Question to others. Seeds and nuts.

Walnuts fine?

Old
03-16-2011, 11:18 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
After you poop in the morning, that's my favorite time

So I'm now at about my 3 month mark of starting the gym and at about 1 month of eating healthy. I now avoid eating too much meat as that was my detriment, think 8 portions of meat a day (lunch and supper, and I didnt have much vegetables or anything to fill my plate)

I have started brining to work 3 fruits and 2 yogurts as snacks for an 8 hour day. I eat some whole grain cereal in the morning (haha more like 10:30-11) then my supper is at 5 since I finish work at 9. When I finish work I try not to eat, but if I can't make it, I'll eat some nuts (salty isnt good I know, but they just aren't as good) or have some milk. Although I go to the gym at night, when I leave the gym I'll have a shake with some juice instead of milk and maybe some fruit if I feel like it.

I'm down 10 pounds and have already adjusted the belt notch by 1. I need to step up my workout tho, been getting lazy because of exams. I had been seeing great results with starting with 30 mins of cardio (really helps my breathing as I have asthma) then do a intense weight lifting routine of 3 sets of 12 (although if I increase weight some times I only get 10). I try to do 3-4 type of excersizes per body part and usually do only 2 muscles in a day, or if I'm waiting for my friends i'll add forearms or abs. After I'm done my weights I hit the cardio machine for a last 10 mins. I find this has a great effect since I have burned a lot of calories already, so I'm starting to burn the reserves on my last 10 mins.

I will see how this goes in the next month and see if I can get another 5 pounds down!

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Started following my new program three days ago, figured I would share it for fans of powerlifting.

My workout today was:
-Warm up: 2 push press + 2 jerk behind neck + 2 press behind neck in split position - 3 sets

-Power Clean + Front Squat + Clean + Split Jerk ( 3 sec pause in Split) - 3 sets (actually did a mistake there and did 3 x 3 instead of just 3 sets)
-Hang Snatch high pull, flat footed - 3x4
-Front Squat @65% RM - 4x3

Finished with small metcon:
3sets, no rest of
-back extensions on GHD/GHR maching (5sec pause at the top with back extended) - close to max reps
-10 Standing plate twist, each side

Tomorrow's will be:

-Warm-up: 2 clean long pull + 2 front squat + 2 clean Sots press

-Clean segment pull (1", knee, hip, finish) + clean pull - (1 + 1) x 2 x 3 sets
-Clean & jerk @ 60%RM x 3 x 3
-Snatch balance - 3 x 3

Metcon:
3 sets, no rest of
A1. Seated good morning x 5
A2. GHD reverse crunch x max

Old
03-17-2011, 01:20 AM
LesHabsRock

This video get's me motivated. I need to get back into shape. Since I've become a student for the first time in 15 years I've had no time, but gotta make the time.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:19 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Started following my new program three days ago, figured I would share it for fans of powerlifting.

My workout today was:
-Warm up: 2 push press + 2 jerk behind neck + 2 press behind neck in split position - 3 sets

-Power Clean + Front Squat + Clean + Split Jerk ( 3 sec pause in Split) - 3 sets (actually did a mistake there and did 3 x 3 instead of just 3 sets)
-Hang Snatch high pull, flat footed - 3x4
-Front Squat @65% RM - 4x3

Finished with small metcon:
3sets, no rest of
-back extensions on GHD/GHR maching (5sec pause at the top with back extended) - close to max reps
-10 Standing plate twist, each side

Tomorrow's will be:

-Warm-up: 2 clean long pull + 2 front squat + 2 clean Sots press

-Clean segment pull (1", knee, hip, finish) + clean pull - (1 + 1) x 2 x 3 sets
-Clean & jerk @ 60%RM x 3 x 3
-Snatch balance - 3 x 3

Metcon:
3 sets, no rest of
A1. Seated good morning x 5
A2. GHD reverse crunch x max
That workout ain't nothing to do with powerlifting my friend.

Old
03-17-2011, 02:25 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Question to others. Seeds and nuts.

Walnuts fine?
Why wouldn't they be? Have you made a diet i.e. your macros? Just count them towards your macros. They're a healthier choice for your fats than Crisco if that's what you're asking.

Old
03-17-2011, 05:04 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Why wouldn't they be? Have you made a diet i.e. your macros? Just count them towards your macros. They're a healthier choice for your fats than Crisco if that's what you're asking.
what the heck are macros and crisco?!

Old
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
That workout ain't nothing to do with powerlifting my friend.
Well, even anything that involves squatting, I consider PL, even if the one done is usually the Back Squat. I personally include the Overhead and Front Squat.
Call it a cross between powerlifting (to me), weightlifting and olympic lifting. Or simply call it weightlifting if you want to be technical. Doesn't really matter.
If you want to follow the ''rules'' then I'm very well aware that powerlifting is the Back Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift (unless this has changed).

Old
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
what the heck are macros and crisco?!
macros: Proteins-Carbs-Fat

Crisco: some type of cooking ingredient resembling oil I believe. Never tried it, so not sure.