HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Realistic Potential of Max Pacioretty

Old
03-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Common misconception. JM's system is not hampering the Habs' offense. They are a top-5 team in shots on goal. They're just lacking in finish/opportunism/luck/whatever.
Perhaps they just lack quality shots? I wish NHL.com tacked a team's time spent in offensive zone/game.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:51 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Perhaps they just lack quality shots? I wish NHL.com tacked a team's time spent in offensive zone/game.
Possible, but I doubt it makes that much difference. Variations in shooting percentage tend to be more or less random (as the Capitals, notably, discovered to their chagrin).

A good proxy for offensive zone time is to tally up all shot attempts (goals, shots, misses, blocks) by both teams and compare them. It's another area the Habs do very well in (being well inside the top 10) after sucking horribly at it last season. The metric is even more meaningful when the score is close or tied, but the Habs do very well there as well.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Sailor

14 goals in 36 games, that is a 32 goal pace. Sure goalscorers are streaky but I could see a 40 goals peak year and multiple 20 and 30 goals seasons along with 30ish assists.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:58 PM
googlymoogly

A more skilled Mike Bossy

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
14 goals in 36 games, that is a 32 goal pace. Sure goalscorers are streaky but I could see a 40 goals peak year and multiple 20 and 30 goals seasons along with 30ish assists.
It's funny but i had the number 32 in my head for some reason. As long he stays healthy and is always in the top 6, i see between 25-35 goals every year for the next forever. Like i've said many times before, he's a young Ryan Smyth.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Forsead

I like the Cole comparison, but then again I would add that I think another guy he can be compare with is Ladd they have a similar game I can see the same peak as well(Ladd is now on pace for 59 pts 29 goals and 30 assists). I also hope that Pacioretty wil get has many cup then Ladd at the same age .

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:36 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I like the Cole comparison, but then again I would add that I think another guy he can be compare with is Ladd they have a similar game I can see the same peak as well(Ladd is now on pace for 59 pts 29 goals and 30 assists). I also hope that Pacioretty wil get has many cup then Ladd at the same age .
I think Paccioretty is much more skilled than Ladd. They are somewhat similar, but I think MaxPac will regularly outscore him, starting next year.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I can't wait to see him around 210-215 pounds. He's gonna be a beast!

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Kriss E

This is the first year he's showing interesting things at the NHL level. I'll wait until he's an established regular, so next year. But for now, around 25G would be good, 30 would be great.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:02 PM
ruski17

60 pts power forward. I'd like to see him develop a bit of a mean streak to become like a Dustin Brown. Right now, he doesn't hit THAT much. If he could incorporate that into his game without his point totals taking a hit, then he'd be even better.

BTW, did anyone see Eller's hit on Ritola vs TB today?

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a consistent 30/30 guy. Amazing that he was drafted with Erik Cole comparisons and may just as well deliver.
60 points a season for a big guy who can get the puck out of the corners and give/take a hit, I'd be happy.

If he can score even more, I'll be really happy.

But he's got heart and is a team player. He will have a good future in the NHL for sure.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

What you see is what you get, a strong PF skating like the wind, who competes at a pretty high level every nights, every shifts.. He has a strong shot, natural goalscoring skills, offensive instinct and can make plays at high speed.. The only thing missing are top end hands, its above average and still pretty good but not elite level.. I see him as a surefire 25 goals scorer with the potential to score 35 if playing with the right center..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Mr Rogers

I always knew Pacioretty had the offensive tools but I'll wait a until he becomes an established top 6 forward before calling him a 30-30 guy. Remember when people here were going crazy during Pouliot's hot streak when he first came here?

However if he keeps the same pace all the way to the playoffs and then some... then I'm sold.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:10 AM
JackZap

didnt think this kid was gonna amount to much, @ best 3rd line guy with 10-12 goals in him. Pleasantly surprised, just hoping hes not the next Chris Higgins

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its tough to tell because he's still filling into his frame.

His stride kind of reminds me of a young john leclair.

I think he will be a good bet for 25 goals or so on average.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:54 AM
JSBach

He could score 70+ in an all-around good year for Habs forwards. But the beauty of him is that he brings so much more than point scoring.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Crystal Met

ryan smith

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:53 AM
pachorella

What i love about patches is that he scores different type of goals like tonight one timer and one rebound in the crease.
I think this guy should gets more love from the fan base.
In addition, i love the work ethics and devotion our young players are showing : eller, desharnais, paco.... At least we wont have this "lack of effort" problem with them in the future.

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:32 AM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
He's becoming my favorite Habs Player.

Pacioretty, Subban, Eller, Price.

We have finally something to look forward for our futur.
I would add Pouliot into that group as well. All very promising young players.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming

i still remember watching on tv when he was drafted by the habs and you wonder if he's ever gonna make the team or what he could bring to the team.. then 3 years later, look at him now, he's a stud!

no doubt eller will bring so much more next year. maxpac was kinda like the same last season.. just need 1 year to build some confidence.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:00 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
It's official, Max Pacioretty is the real deal. But how real? What do we actually have here? It's hard not to get over-excited about this guy, and maybe this isn't exactly the best time to start this thread, but Max Pacioretty.. is a MONSTER!

Tomas Plekanec clearly has the best offensive smarts on the team, and is also a dominant defensive presence, but after him, Patches is our most complete player and his physical presence and pure powerforward skill set is something Plekanec just can't bring. And he has a killer instinct the likes of which we haven't seen in a LONG time (except from Cammalleri in the playoffs). His consistency is another thing I love about MaxPac, he's been equally outstanding in basically every game.

After a shaky start to his career, Pacioretty kind of fell under the radar and there were some doubt, he now has 14 goals and 10 assists for 24 points in 36 games this season. Expanded over 82 games that's 32 goals and 23 assists for 55 points in his first year as a legitimate NHLer.

So what do we have here?:

Perrenial 60 point player? 70-75? PPG? Does he have a 45-40 season in him? Is he a future all-star? What's the limit on Pacioretty's potential?
45 goals may be a little rich for Pacioretty...but I see 30 goals on average season with 40 on career year. He could be the premier power forward in the league

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:33 AM
pachorella

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Are you serious or just a groupie?

You really think he does not get enough love from the fans?
In 30 games, he has almost reached PK and Price level of love.

Just try a poll: Markov vs Patches...

Looking at this thread should suffice...
What i meant in more love, like cheering his name in the centre bell like they do for pk and price...
loooooooooool at markov and patches poll

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:14 AM
RC51

Yes I agree with most of you. He is a 25-35 goal scorer. He does it by doing what others won't, he goes to the front of the net. Overall his skill set is quite high but not leading in any. He wants to make a difference and never takes a shift off. Sound good so far? We need more time to fully assess him and the final upside. We MUST wait a bit and also one important thing, he is all around the net and right in front of the goalie, he is taking a pounding and will get hurt more then other players that play off the boards. One of the best things I like right now is that Mr. Patch is showing up many other players on the team. Work ethic and willingness to pay the price to win is making a few look bad. He is forcing some to up their game for fear of NOT getting a future contract. Can you imagine in 2 years of the same quality play from Patches and suddenly he stand up in the room to speak? OMG talk about " Earned Respect"
It's all early but WOW does it look good so far.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:48 AM
shutehinside

He bangs in a lot of goals around the net and has a great shot with bursting speed. Once he rounds into a matured NHL player I can see him scoring 30+ a season and being one of our more consistent goal scorers, simply because he has so many tools at his disposal.

I don't like Piere McGuires comparison of Mike McPhee, who to me was more of a bottom 6 grinder than a goal scorer with size. In any case, hes the trade that keeps on paying along with Gorges.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:13 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Yes I agree with most of you. He is a 25-35 goal scorer. He does it by doing what others won't, he goes to the front of the net. Overall his skill set is quite high but not leading in any. He wants to make a difference and never takes a shift off. Sound good so far? We need more time to fully assess him and the final upside. We MUST wait a bit and also one important thing, he is all around the net and right in front of the goalie, he is taking a pounding and will get hurt more then other players that play off the boards. One of the best things I like right now is that Mr. Patch is showing up many other players on the team. Work ethic and willingness to pay the price to win is making a few look bad. He is forcing some to up their game for fear of NOT getting a future contract. Can you imagine in 2 years of the same quality play from Patches and suddenly he stand up in the room to speak? OMG talk about " Earned Respect"
It's all early but WOW does it look good so far.
He looks great. But "He is a 25-35 goal scorer"?.Let's wait and see. Y'all were calling Higgins a 30-40 goal scorer,remember ?

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote