Notices

Sutter for Coach of the Year?

Old
03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Sutter for Coach of the Year?

I feel funny about even starting this thread because of where this team was 2 months ago. But does anyone think that if the Flames get into the playoffs that Sutter should be considered for coach of the year? You would have to think he is going to get some consideration. Even in December everyone in the hockey world thought that this team should be blown apart (including myself, yes I ate my crow) and now Sutter has this team currently only 1 point out of 4th place in the West.

No one can deny the job he has done with turning this group around. Does anyone think he will have a shot at the award if the Flames get in the playoffs?

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!

vCash: 500
I'd say no, Lemaire will get it.

And besides that, Sutter basically came out and said yesterday that he hasn't changed the way he has coached at all in the past 2 years, its that the players finally clued into the scheme of things and have started taking charge of the locker room on their own, holding each other accountable for everything.

Edit: Lemaire if NJ makes playoffs.

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOREO View Post

And besides that, Sutter basically came out and said yesterday that he hasn't changed the way he has coached at all in the past 2 years, its that the players finally clued into the scheme of things and have started taking charge of the locker room on their own, holding each other accountable for everything.

Both wrong..

Coach of the year...

...not coach for half the year.

I think it'll go to Julien or maybe someone random like Boucher

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Both wrong..

Coach of the year...

That's ignorant. You cannot deny the fact that they are a better team when he is the coach.

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
flames123

If we make the playoffs and go on a bit of a run he is definitely in the picture but only then.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
If we make the playoffs and go on a bit of a run he is definitely in the picture but only then.
Playoffs don't count.

Going into the season the Flames were considered by most to be a marginal playoff contender (or perhaps better), which is exactly where they are.

There are many teams that have over achieved, and their coaches will get the votes.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:

What does a coach changing his style have to do with anything? If anything, I think the fact the Sutter stuck to his guns and didn't change things until his players decided, ok this is how we are going to have to play to be successful, should give Sutter even more props.

I will agree (despite the lack of games coached by Lemaire this sesaon) that if Jersey gets in the playoffs that he is probably a shoe in for the award. But Sutter's acheivment IMO isn't that far off either.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:35 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
I'll take my serving of crow right now, I for one wanted him fired.. I guess all along it really was D. Sutter and the players problems, he's done wonders with our D last year and is coaching a good offensive system this year.. I don't think he'll win but I'd imagine he'd be in discussion

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Both wrong..

Coach of the year...

Didn't the Penguins coach a few years ago who run the cup come in to the team halfway through? Same thing with Washingtons? I thought they both won.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:23 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Didn't the Penguins coach a few years ago who run the cup come in to the team halfway through? Same thing with Washingtons? I thought they both won.
Yup. I am loving how crow tastes but maybe it was more of the lack of brotherly love between gm and coach earlier on. The acrimony is on so now everyone has jsut moved on and done their jobs well. Either way if the Flames finish top 5 in the west I would hope Sutter gets some consideration.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
That's ignorant. You cannot deny the fact that they are a better team when he is the coach.
How so? Was Brent Sutter not the head coach of the Flames from October to December when the team looked awful? His sub-par performance as a head coach for the first three months of the season can't just be swept under rug because the team's been on fire for the last two months.

I don't think Sutter's even in the discussion of top ten coaches this year, let alone a contender for the Jack Adams. Trotz, Lemaire, Byslma(for keeping a Malkin and Crosby-less Penguins team above .500), Vigneault, Boucher, Julien, and Tippet have all done a better job then Sutter.

Quote:
You're comparing two different things. Brent was an awful NHL head coach for 3 months and then a good one for two(so far). Boudreau and Bylsma were AHL head coaches for 3 and 4 months respectively before getting promoted to the NHL. Those coaches took those bottom feeding/under achieving teams to playoffs/division titles/cup finals etc. while Brent coached a team to 14th place in the conference and then to a playoff spot. The major difference between the two events is that while both Bylsma and Boudreau were the reason why Pittsburgh and Washington turned it around, Brent wasn't. In Brent's case, it was Darryl getting fired which led to the turn around, not something he did himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
What does a coach changing his style have to do with anything? If anything, I think the fact the Sutter stuck to his guns and didn't change things until his players decided, ok this is how we are going to have to play to be successful, should give Sutter even more props.
But Brent did change things. The system was the same, yes, but it was only after Darryl was fired did the coaching staff ease off the players and stopped nit-picking at every facet of the their game. The players weren't the only group that were given a wake up call and had to suddenly start worrying about job security when Feaster stepped in.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
But Brent did change things. The system was the same, yes, but it was only after Darryl was fired did the coaching staff ease off the players and stopped nit-picking at every facet of the their game. The players weren't the only group that were given a wake up call and had to suddenly start worrying about job security when Feaster stepped in.
I think this was more of a culture change than a change in philosophy, Feaster gave Brent a vote of confidence as soon as he took over. Iggy has said Brent is the best coach he has ever had (this made public when Darryl was still the GM). Brent hasn't changed, he is still as demanding as ever. The difference is the players are loose and having fun and buying into the system. Brent is alot better coach than you give him credit for.

Old
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Playoffs don't count.

Going into the season the Flames were considered by most to be a marginal playoff contender (or perhaps better), which is exactly where they are.

There are many teams that have over achieved, and their coaches will get the votes.
I thought they did. Besides, if TB can take the division then Boucher gets the automatic win imo.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Brent hasn't changed, he is still as demanding as ever. The difference is the players are loose and having fun and buying into the system. Brent is alot better coach than you give him credit for.

Agreed 100%.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Big diffirence, the Pittsburgh coach didn't coach a team to a poor record for half a season. He didn't win the coaching award that season.

Same for Washington's coach, who won it the year after he came in half way through the season.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:44 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...928/story.html

Quote:
That not-so-long-ago Dec. 10 morning in Anaheim had an eerie, funereal feel to it. The Calgary Flames had fallen 2-1 to the L.A. Kings at the Staples Center the night before. The 12-15-2 record was woeful. Their prospects, grim.

The pervading silence befitted a library. Or a morgue. The whirring, grating sound of skates sharpening and a solitary soccer ball slapping off concrete took on Dolby Stereo levels. In hushed, furtive asides, players grilled media on any inside information they'd heard (always an ominous sign).

General manager Darryl Sutter, the Dark Knight, lurked the corridors with intent, fuelling speculation of a takeover, ratcheting tension up to Hitchcockian levels.

That morning, the acrid stench of change permeated the hallways at the Honda Center like a gas leak.

That morning, the man in charge of nurturing the flatlining Flames seemed far nearer the unemployment line than the NHL's garish neon-spattered June awards show in Vegas.

Back then, the big team in this town gave the impression of being nothing more than a too-set-in-its-way collection of geriatrics doomed to oblivion.

And Brent Sutter seemed the made-to-order fall-guy.

Yet here we are, less than three months later, and by any criteria Sutter richly warrants serious Jack Adams Trophy consideration as the NHL's coach of the year.

Well, lordy be.

"I can't lie. There were days," he laughs, from Red Deer, watching his WHL Rebels practise at the Centrium, "that I wondered. But that's when you keep at it, keep repeating yourself, trying to make them understand.

"All credit to our guys.

"I believe there's a certain way to play, and to win, in this league. I also believe you can't deviate from that. Regardless of who you are. Sometimes it just takes a little longer to get the message across."

If a ravishing return to form by Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff married with the career rebirth of Alex Tanguay are being hailed far and wide as the reasons behind Calgary's charge up the standings, make no mistake: Sutter's obstinacy, his tough-love approach to competitiveness and structure is the quiet foundation behind the renaissance.

"As a coach, you can implement a way to play, but it's up to the players to buy in. Our guys have done that. They've been given proof that that way works. Jarome was dead right (Wednesday) when he said a few months ago, getting down 4-1, we'd have lost that game 7-1 or 8-1.

"We don't lose heart. We don't give up. We believe in each other and the way we do things."

Nothing's been settled, of course. The Flames sat an uneasy but astounding sixth in the West on Thursday morning after returning from a disappointing night in Chicago, but there's always the risk that it may all come undone over the final weeks.

They've pushed awfully hard for six weeks in order to make up acres of ground, and the toll may be beginning to tell as they anxiously awaited word on an MRI to Brendan Morrison's left knee.

They could very easily slip out of the Top 8, the teams crowding them front and back using their games in hand, and then Sutter's name would be quickly stricken from the short list of candidates, almost as if it'd never been taken under advisement at all.

Depending on the breaks, they could finish anywhere from fourth to 12th.

Which doesn't alter the sales job Sutter has done.

Name a coach more deserving of the Adams honour, right now, as of March 4, with a month left to sort out the pecking order? One who's overcome so much in such a short time?

Tampa's first-year boss Guy Boucher would likely be considered the late-season front-runner, as the Bolts continue their resurrection from 12th in the conference to vying for the No. 1 playoff seeding out East.

Alain Vigneault and Mike Babcock command the stronger Western Conference's runaway leaders, but Sutter's group is blessed with neither Vancouver's enviable depth nor Detroit's top-end whiz-bang assortment of skill.

Dave Tippet in Phoenix, Barry Trotz in Nashville have both done admirable jobs keeping their teams in the post-season mix. Same with Todd Richards in Minny and Columbus newbie Scott Arniel.

John Stevens has the Flyers riding high, as predicted.

But Brent Sutter has brought his team from so far back, working in the broiling environment of a hockey-only market, with all the inherent ramifications. His Flames are 13-3-3 in their last 19 starts and haven't lost back-to-back games in regulation since Jan. 3-5. Their self-belief and fightback have been nothing short of astonishing.

The process took infinitely longer than he'd hoped, but Sutter finally succeeded in convincing his players that offence can organically spring from increased defensive awareness - the wild pinball-wizard game in Chicago aside. He's come good despite the speculation of firing hanging over his head and a reportedly strained relationship with a GM who was also his brother.

He's swayed a veteran group over to his way of thinking when all appeared lost.

That, people, is an Adams-worthy achievement. Not that he gives two hoots, but if the Flames do reach the post-season, he richly deserves consideration at the June 'do in Vegas. If they could somehow crack the Top Four and nail down home-ice for the first round, it should be a slam dunk.

It seems a lifetime, not 82 days, that not-so-long-ago morning in Anaheim when the stench of change permeated the Honda Center like a gas leak, when the coach's future apparently hung by a thread.

"We're certainly excited by where we are," Sutter said Thursday. "Who knows what'll happen from here. But we've come a long way as a team.

"A lot of people deserve credit."

None more so than the guy who, caught by the TV cameras stationed behind the bench, always looks as if he might be passing a kidney stone.

Brent Sutter certainly took his share of stick as this train was careening off the rails.

So he as much as, or more than, Iginla or Kiprusoff - or anyone - deserves to be given his due now, as it thunders down the tracks to, this city hopes, a safe playoff haven.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Name a coach more deserving of the Adams honour, right now, as of March 4, with a month left to sort out the pecking order? One who's overcome so much in such a short time?
Quote:
John Stevens has the Flyers riding high, as predicted.
It's incredibly hard to take that article seriously after those two gems.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote