HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Drew Doughty, the person. Not the player.

Old
03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

vCash: 500
I think we all agree that Doughty can rein it in a little bit, he cost us a real good chance to tie it up by embellishing it a bit on that dive.

As for that last goal, the Kings and Doughty in particular need to punish players that come anywhere the crease in that situation. Instead of yapping to the refs, go after the player that interfered with Quick. Make them pay the toll...

I know we are a more physical team than the Canucks and we didn't nearly do a good enough job making them pay for messing with Quick. Sedin got away with an important one by falling down on Quick, if they want to run our goalie, you got to make him pay the price.

They'll think twice about it next time.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Question: Did any of the officials say anything to you about the non-call?

DOUGHTY: “No, they didn’t talk to me. I was just kind of yelling at them, I guess. That’s one thing I’ve got to work on. I get frustrated at the refs too often, and sometimes I say things I wish I didn’t say. It’s something I’ve got to learn from.

He'll get it eventually.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/05...non-call-play/
Tony, can you delete this post for me?

I mean we don't need common sense and the facts here to step in and ruin everything at this stage.

We are all gripping so tightly with the pressure of this playoff run that we are like a hoard of kittens in a cardboard box with one little bowl of milk. Its going to get messy and fussy before its all done.

Kidding, of course DD knows that yelling at the refs isn't going to make anything easier for him and he likely got told so after the game. In the end I still like his passion and want to see him channeling his it towards destroying someone rather than saying anything to a ref.

Last edited by Tonellisghost: 03-05-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
wow a kid who just turned 21 he is a kid this happens it is part of learning the game. But today wasn't one of his best day for ure

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:33 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
So what he does in the middle of a hotly contested game equates to how he is as a person? To use terms like "embarrassment" and "can't respect him as a person" is just a joke. Get off your high horse man.

Ron Artest has done some of the worst things ever in a basketball arena yet he spends numerous hours doing community service and he auctions off his championship ring to help those with mental illness.

Playing a highly competitive game and real life are two different things
I don't have to know him as a person. I see his personality every time something goes remotely wrong. Nobody else does these things. Is he purposely misrepresenting himself? He's a hothead, he doesn't always show respect for his peers or authority, he doesn't care about the image he sheds, he is angry. That paints a damn good picture. I don't need to know my employees outside of work to see if I want them representing me or my company. I look at a body of work, how they react to situations, how they work with others. Drew doesn't pass the test.

I don't have to know Ron Artest either. He has put fans in harms way, he quit the final 20+ games of a season to further his record label career, he has refered to himself as "just your typical local thug", he has been banned from astrip joint for verbaly abusing a stripper and punching a bouncer. Who cares if he feels compelled to give back to his community? I donate a lot of money and time to charity but I am certain that if I don't like you, you will think I'm an *******.

Passion is great, but it is dangerous. A passionate person is someone you want as a foot soldier, not a representative. I'm as passionate and competative as anyone you will meet. I was so passionate that I was fired from a public position of fortune 500 company because it drove me to act in a way that didn't shed the company in positive light. I wasn't exemplary one time and it bit me in the ass. Bertuzzi blamed his incident on his passion. What if Drew gets suspended for bumping into a ref when chasing after him? Is that ok because he's so passionate about winning?

There is nothing wrong with saying I'm embarrassed. I don't have to be on my high horse to feel that way. Just read the forums tonight at what people are saying about him. They're calling him crazy, a baby, stupid, and insane. We all should be ashamed of his actions this year.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Question: Did any of the officials say anything to you about the non-call?

DOUGHTY: ďNo, they didnít talk to me. I was just kind of yelling at them, I guess. Thatís one thing Iíve got to work on. I get frustrated at the refs too often, and sometimes I say things I wish I didnít say. Itís something Iíve got to learn from.Ē

He'll get it eventually.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/05...non-call-play/
thanks for the post Tony, he knows he needs to grow up, which is always a good sign and time will tell how much he matures.

and for those crapping on Doughty, for cripes sake he's only 21, I don't remember having my **** together at that age and I'm sure a lot of you didn't have the same mentality that you have now when you were 21, does he need better mentors, for sure but I'm not ready to label him as a lost cause.

Dawdler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:47 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
What a lame thread! It's called "PASSION"! We need more of it!
It's called embarrassing your team and he knows it too.

Our team is very passionate. The rest are just proffesionals. You know, that character thing teams are looking for. That dirty little word called proffesionlism.

It was a crime of passion, I can't be held responsible for my actions. Blaaah.

Old
03-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I don't have to know him as a person. I see his personality every time something goes remotely wrong. Nobody else does these things. Is he purposely misrepresenting himself? He's a hothead, he doesn't always show respect for his peers or authority, he doesn't care about the image he sheds, he is angry. That paints a damn good picture. I don't need to know my employees outside of work to see if I want them representing me or my company. I look at a body of work, how they react to situations, how they work with others. Drew doesn't pass the test.

I don't have to know Ron Artest either. He has put fans in harms way, he quit the final 20+ games of a season to further his record label career, he has refered to himself as "just your typical local thug", he has been banned from astrip joint for verbaly abusing a stripper and punching a bouncer. Who cares if he feels compelled to give back to his community? I donate a lot of money and time to charity but I am certain that if I don't like you, you will think I'm an *******.

Passion is great, but it is dangerous. A passionate person is someone you want as a foot soldier, not a representative. I'm as passionate and competative as anyone you will meet. I was so passionate that I was fired from a public position of fortune 500 company because it drove me to act in a way that didn't shed the company in positive light. I wasn't exemplary one time and it bit me in the ass. Bertuzzi blamed his incident on his passion. What if Drew gets suspended for bumping into a ref when chasing after him? Is that ok because he's so passionate about winning?

There is nothing wrong with saying I'm embarrassed. I don't have to be on my high horse to feel that way. Just read the forums tonight at what people are saying about him. They're calling him crazy, a baby, stupid, and insane. We all should be ashamed of his actions this year.
Disclaimer: I'm not going to respond directly to your comments on passion, etc, because I think it's going to boil down to differences in personal philosophy.

I will say, though, that I will take the 21-year-old potential generational talent on my team any day of the week, because IMO, the odds are MUCH greater that he reigns in and learns to harness that passion rather than explode in one singular, spectacular act of stupidity.

His body of work, as you call it, demonstrates that he's a winner at every level of the game, a superhuman talent and mind, and, for better or worse, incredibly passionate for his work. I seriously doubt he's just going to combust in a fit of rage. He's facing new challenges, and if his past suggests anything, it's that he will come into his own, possibly sooner rather than later.

To jump back to your workplace analogy, it may be a difference in philosophy, but yeah, I'm going to hire the extreme talent that may have to make a mistake or two to reach their potential over the slightly vanilla but harmless average worker.

I respect your stance, I just TOTALLY disagree with it.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Face Wash

Quote:

Our team is very passionate. The rest are just proffesionals. You know, that character thing teams are looking for. That dirty little word called proffesionlism.

I appreciate your passion on the issue and I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily (although you do seem as angry as he did today on the ice), but there are 29 other teams in this league that would love to have Doughty even if that meant him "embarrassing" them once in a while. Sometimes in life you have to take the good with the bad, especially with a young player who logs those minutes.

In other words, I think you're being a little hard on the Beav. He'll figure it out, even if he needs to see a sports shrink to do it.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:04 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
To jump back to your workplace analogy, it may be a difference in philosophy, but yeah, I'm going to hire the extreme talent that may have to make a mistake or two to reach their potential over the slightly vanilla but harmless average worker.

In most cases I would agree. But to publicly represent me, I don't want a wildcard. I want somebody who is collected under any circumstance.

To use another analogy, I would love to have a guy like Drew passionately getting his hands dirty for the CIA, but I sure as hell don't want that guy in the white house. Drew is publicly representing the Kings every time he skates out there. He is the face of the Kings.

Sure, he is young and when I was his age I was just like him. He'll get his act together but that doesn't stop me from being very discouraged to see the guy getting continualy worse.

Old
03-06-2011, 01:07 AM
kingdoughty

Doughty is fine relax

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:10 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I appreciate your passion on the issue and I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily (although you do seem as angry as he did today on the ice), but there are 29 other teams in this league that would love to have Doughty even if that meant him "embarrassing" them once in a while. Sometimes in life you have to take the good with the bad, especially with a young player who logs those minutes.

In other words, I think you're being a little hard on the Beav. He'll figure it out, even if he needs to see a sports shrink to do it.
There is 5 guys I would trade him for. I adore his game, his edge, and what he has accomplished at such a young age. I wouldn't trade him for two Jack Johnsons. That wasn't the point I was making but will accept the fact I may have been a little hard on him. Hopefully he thinks about what he does because his rage is getting worse with age, not better.

Old
03-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Shellz

Quote:
There is 5 guys I would trade him for. I adore his game, his edge, and what he has accomplished at such a young age. I wouldn't trade him for two Jack Johnsons. That wasn't the point I was making but will accept the fact I may have been a little hard on him. Hopefully he thinks about what he does because his rage is getting worse with age, not better.
What 5 players would you trade him for?

I guess the first obvious two are Crosby and Ovechkin.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:24 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
What 5 players would you trade him for?

I guess the first obvious two are Crosby and Ovechkin.
Two guys that have a history of letting their emotions get the better of them.

This is what, the 3rd time he's lost his head like that? I can't say I'm worried about it or care what other fans are saying about him.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:33 AM
redcard

I completely see what no name is saying and where he is coming from, but at the same time the exact same threads were popping up about Crosby his first couple seasons in the league. Doughty will learn to use his emotion, control it, and ultimately will become an outstanding player.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:43 AM
alpa

Quote:

If you are employing 20 or 21 years old you should know that they will make mistakes and that is called learning by mistakes and that goes for a life time. Kids of that age needs help so they learn to approach difficult situations encountered in the mix of the battles in life. Help consisting of someone telling them that that was not the way they wanted to react if they wanted a result ending in a certain way. They have to find out on their on how it should have been done.

First step: Be aware of a problem; in this case DD is that.

second step: A thinking process starts to emerge, what could I've done different.

Third step: Change of attitude, calm down think quicker before reacting to wildly and yapping away. Try to change behavior

fourth step: completing points above and become mature

I think Drew will mature eventually. The time curve is individual and no one knows how long it will take but he is aware that is a good start.

BTW: I agree he can't be proud after that, but he can learn from it.

Last edited by alpa: 03-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
nocturn

Quote:

Damn, noname gett'n all Ned Braden on us.

Just dont start stripping.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Brophy

Quote:
At what point is it ok to respect Drew's talent but realise that he's a classless jerk and an embarrasment to the Kings and hockey? Every damn game I have to see him throw a tantrum, curse at the camera, take a cheap shot when he gets a vendetta in his head, talk trash, showboat, and now dive. He checks mentally checks out of games. The kid has a couple screws loose. He begged for that dive call for his showing up the ref. The guy had to be detained and was litteraly chasing the ref who was running away. I knew he was going to get kicked out or do something worse.

I'm going to get raked over the coals for this thread but if was just an average talent everyone would hate this guy. The fans, the media, and I'm sure his teammates would not appreciate his act. This is not a knee jerk reaction. Everyone knows that I have been saying this since the playoffs last year.

I am embarrassed as a Kings fan. I am certain there will be some heat Drew is about to take. The guy is still one of my favorite Kings but I can't respect him as a person.
this ****ing guy haha.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
You're a solid poster here! I appreciate this post.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:15 AM
DropThePuck

It's easier to tame a tiger than it is to pump up a ***** cat.

DropThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Winger23

You know, I seem to recall a certain player that wore #99 that used to do a ton of complaining to the refs too. Drew is no Gretz but it shows he cares, which is more than 99% of this damn emotionless team.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Drew is not a jerk at all as far as my dealings and up-close observations of him. He's at his best when he is playing loose but never mistake that for lack of competitiveness. He's well-liked in the locker room and while sometimes he gets amped up at the end of games he's generally a friendly, charismatic dude. It always shocks me how most guys can fall to earth so fast, five minutes after a game they are putting on a completely calm face. He can do that, just not every single night.

You also have to remember the guy is still extremely young, to compare him with Lidstrom or Chara or whatever established D is pretty unfair. It's a lot more reasonable to compare him with Erik Johnson and PK Subban.

I thought the diving call was a bit much, especially in a huge situation where you go from 5-on-3 to 5-on-4. Obviously the officials at ice level have a better view and can hear more than I can in the press box, but it must have been something egregious because both Daniel Sedin and Burrows had some flagrant flops and didn't get called. That kind of physical game where penalties are getting called over and over always begets diving.

03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
How can you get mad at a player that kisses his goalie after a win?

He's 21, he will learn to control it and harness it for good.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:22 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
At what point is it ok to respect Drew's talent but realise that he's a classless jerk and an embarrasment to the Kings and hockey? Every damn game I have to see him throw a tantrum, curse at the camera, take a cheap shot when he gets a vendetta in his head, talk trash, showboat, and now dive. He checks mentally checks out of games. The kid has a couple screws loose. He begged for that dive call for his showing up the ref. The guy had to be detained and was litteraly chasing the ref who was running away. I knew he was going to get kicked out or do something worse.

I'm going to get raked over the coals for this thread but if was just an average talent everyone would hate this guy. The fans, the media, and I'm sure his teammates would not appreciate his act. This is not a knee jerk reaction. Everyone knows that I have been saying this since the playoffs last year.

I am embarrassed as a Kings fan. I am certain there will be some heat Drew is about to take. The guy is still one of my favorite Kings but I can't respect him as a person.

I agree with you, but I say give it time. Crosby was known largerly as a crybaby for the first years of his career, while anyone who watched Gretzky at a young age knows he's wasn't all class either.

Being 20 and having massive amounts of celebrity status suddenly fall in your lap is hard for anyone to deal with. I think at his core, Drew's a good guy, that was my impression before he was drafted and early in his first year, so I'd wait to see if that reemerges in the upcoming seasons before labelling him a jerk or an embarassment.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I somewhat agree with you, the diving is starting to annoy me, it was nice that he got called out for it yesterday . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:04 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Meh, I like that fans are still so against diving but, you'd be hard pressed to find a player who didn't do it. It's part of the game, it's not like they dive because they get some kind of bonus for every penalty they draw, they dive for the team and because the coach has told them to.

I don't like that it's part of the game but, it is.

Getting pissed at the refs is hardly classless or jerkish, it's passionate and irrational. I don't see how he's a classless jerk. A classless jerk would be somebody who didn't hang out with his teammate because of some silly international competition Or somebody who spoke up against a team mate or something like that.

I think the term your looking for is disrespectful, though. Much of what Doughty does can be considered that. It's hardly classless or jerkish.

From what I've seen, he's a superbly talented young man who loses his head to much.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote