HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 MLB Thread (All Mets, Yankees and MLB talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
TrollololBoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Anyone ever go to Yankees spring training and can give me tips on getting autographs. I'll be driving up to Tampa from Miami on March 12th.
Yankees won't be in Tampa on March 12th, they will be in Viera in Brevard County playing the Nationals. They will be in Tampa on the 11th and 13th though.

As for tips, you'll most likely have to get there early for batting practice. I've never been to a game early enough to get autographs, so i'm not sure.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Cory Vaughn just went yard in his first at bat as a Met. Wasn't in spring training last year since he was drafted in June. Kid had an amazing year in Brooklyn last year, hopefully he keeps it up in St. Lucie (assuming that's where he'll be) this year. From the games I went to last year, seemed like he homered in every other at bat. And there's no cheap home run at MCU Park.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:34 AM
TrollololBoyle

The Oliver Perez news today shows why the mets are still such a joke of a franchise and second rate in NY. They are hesitating and giving Perez every chance to succeed in his 2 bullpen sessions before they decide whether to release him or not.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Yankees won't be in Tampa on March 12th, they will be in Viera in Brevard County playing the Nationals. They will be in Tampa on the 11th and 13th though.

As for tips, you'll most likely have to get there early for batting practice. I've never been to a game early enough to get autographs, so i'm not sure.
Ah yeah I meant the 13th against Minnesota. I'm probably going to have to camp out there haha.

Old
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Marc Staal

Quote:
Anyone ever go to Yankees spring training and can give me tips on getting autographs. I'll be driving up to Tampa from Miami on March 12th.
I went like 5 years ago.

Had a great time and got autographs from:

Rivera
Berra/Mattingly (stayed in my hotel met them there)
Torre
Steinbrenner (George)
Dent
Posada
etc...

Tips:

-For a 1pm game, arrive outside the field by 9PM at the LATEST. The team practices out there right on those practice fields early. The players will come by the fence and sign for you. When I got Rivera's, he was the nicest guy ever. Was talking to everyone. Theres also batting cages on the side of the stadium I believe where players hit and will sometimes sign for you.
- Also stand by the entrance to the stadium before the game. All the players go through there and will most of the time stop for you to sign.

Thats really it. It's pretty easy to get autos at ST. Since I haven't been there in awhile the field and stuff might have changed but if it didn't. this is what worked for me.

Old
03-10-2011, 10:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
No one seizing the second base job for the Mets. I still think Castillo is cut before the season begins, despite beat writers speculating otherwise.

Biggest surprise for me has been Isringhausen. He still has good stuff and is looking like a real option for the pen.

It's just pain.
Old
03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchLegion View Post
The Oliver Perez news today shows why the mets are still such a joke of a franchise and second rate in NY. They are hesitating and giving Perez every chance to succeed in his 2 bullpen sessions before they decide whether to release him or not.
It's worse than Javy Vasquez at this point

Old
03-10-2011, 11:46 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It's worse than Javy Vasquez at this point

Still fuming about that trade. Arodys Vizcaino needs to show he can stay healthy but has tons of upside. At least Javy gave us a pick back in next year's draft.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Still fuming about that trade. Arodys Vizcaino needs to show he can stay healthy but has tons of upside. At least Javy gave us a pick back in next year's draft.
Well his name starts with Arod, that can't be bad.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:58 AM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Watched some of the Yankees game today. Nice to see C.C. hitting his spots and dueling with Halladay Spring training style. I'm reading the new Derek Jeter: From the pages of the New York Times book, and it got me thinking about how awesome Jete was, so I inducted him into my website hall of fame.

All-JPLS induction #2: Derek Jeter... #2

Old
03-11-2011, 01:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm not at all upset with the way the team is handling Perez.

Look, we're in team in a bad financial situation, there's no two ways about it. We have a substantial amount of money invested in Perez this season. It would be foolish to not give that investment every opportunity to turn it around this spring. Maybe Ollie shocks us all and becomes a solid LOOGY. I mean, who is he competing against? Tim Byrdak? It's not like the handful of innings he'll see over the next few weeks are depriving some fantastic young talent from showing what they have.

I think we--and the team itself--all know Ollie is done, and that he's not going to be able to cut it in the bullpen; but it would be foolish and poor asset management to not make absolutely sure during spring training.

Old
03-11-2011, 08:23 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Go Yanks!

Old
03-11-2011, 08:52 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I'm not. I'll admit that I liked the trade a lot at the time, even though we know what the results, are I would do that trade again. He's still like 3 years away, and he had a pretty bad arm injury. He may have been the top Yankees pitching prospect at the time, but he has clearly been passed by Banuelos who is a lot more projectable and closer to the big leagues.

Plus, it really is not hard to replace prospects in Baseball. The Yankees have the best international scouting staff in the league and can easily find somebody to replace him.

I'd be 'fuming' a ton more if the Rangers traded Kreider, than if the Yankees traded Vizcaino again. Baseball is an entirely different beast when it comes to prospects.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchLegion View Post
I'm not. I'll admit that I liked the trade a lot at the time, even though we know what the results, are I would do that trade again. He's still like 3 years away, and he had a pretty bad arm injury. He may have been the top Yankees pitching prospect at the time, but he has clearly been passed by Banuelos who is a lot more projectable and closer to the big leagues.

Plus, it really is not hard to replace prospects in Baseball. The Yankees have the best international scouting staff in the league and can easily find somebody to replace him.

I'd be 'fuming' a ton more if the Rangers traded Kreider, than if the Yankees traded Vizcaino again. Baseball is an entirely different beast when it comes to prospects.
agreed...Arodys is still pretty far off.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:14 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Mets release Castillo.

Old
03-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Mets release Castillo.
he served no pt with this yr being a rebuilding season and oh yea he was always hurt.....now dump Perez

others sent down today were not shocking. I expect to see Gee at some pt though

Old
03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I still have no problem with keeping Ollie around.

We're paying him his fat salary, why not see if he can cut it in the bullpen? His competition for a spot as a lefty includes who, Tim Byrdak? We're in a bad financial situation, might as well see if we can turn Ollie's $8MM into something useful. He has looked decent in his handful of relief appearances.

Old
03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

What amazes me about the Yankees is that with all the money they have, they can't seem to scout and develop good young starting pitching. Hughes and Joba are it. In the last decade those are the only 2 guys who have had any kind of success, and right now Joba's future is kind of up in the air. Now they have to bring in guys like Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia fresh off the scrap heap to compete with the immortal Sergio Mitre for the 4th and 5th starting spots.

Old
03-18-2011, 08:13 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
What amazes me about the Yankees is that with all the money they have, they can't seem to scout and develop good young starting pitching. Hughes and Joba are it. In the last decade those are the only 2 guys who have had any kind of success, and right now Joba's future is kind of up in the air. Now they have to bring in guys like Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia fresh off the scrap heap to compete with the immortal Sergio Mitre for the 4th and 5th starting spots.
Then you know nothing about the Yankees.

Scouting and player development was re-emphasized in 2006 when Cashman gained full control and Steinbrenner stepped down.

In that time.

2006: Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, Zach McAllister, Dellin Betances
2007: Andrew Brackman, Ryan Pope, Drew Storen (dns)
2008: Gerrit Cole (dns), Joseph Bittle (dns), David Phelps, Brett Marshall
2009: Adam Warren, Brett Gerritse, Graham Stoneburner, Bryan Mitchell
2010: Thomas Kahnle, Gabriel Encinas (dns), Chase Whitley, Evan Rutckyj

- Joba would have been great, but was mishandled
- Ian Kennedy was not AL East material but he helped bring in Curtis Granderson
- Zach McAllister was a great pitching prospect and was top 100 on many list, but he fell back last year because he lacked an out pitched
- Dellin Betances has absolutely nasty stuff, he is on the cusp of the major leagues, but injuries have held him back, nonetheless he has ace potential
- Brackman was a top pitching prospect in his draft, and fell to the Yankees because he needed TJS, he is a year behind because of it, but he will be in the majors this year
- Ryan Pope will be a great reliever or swingman
- Drew Storen is in the majors now, closing for the Nats
- Everyone knew Gerrit Cole was going to college, he was one of the top pitching prospects in his class, he fell to the Yankees because of college and they took a risk because he is a HUGE Yankee fan, he would be in the majors right now without a doubt, and he would be NASTY.
- Joseph Bittle, went to college instead
- David Phelps can be a great swingman
- Brett Marshall was a gem the Yankees found in the late round, he had an injury and just came back and pitched great last season
- Warren and Stoneburner are surefire major leaguers, Stoneburner can be an eventual Mo replacement, Warren will be a solid back end starter
- Bryan Mitchell has the best curveball in the organization, a total steal
- Jury is still out on 2011, as it is wayyyyy to early to even say anything

Drafting in baseball is harder and more unpredictable than any major league sports draft, yet for a team that drafts in the in the end of the round every year, they do really really well. Also just because a bunch of talent from the last 4 years hasn't really shown up, means absolutely nothing. They are pitching great, but it takes 4-5 years to develop these guys. They will be in the majors soon enough.

They also are one of the best teams at international scouting, that is how they got Banuelos who will be a stud, and Vizcaino, who was pretty much a stud before his injury that he got in the Braves Org. Then you have Nova and Noesi among others.

As for getting Garcia and Colon, that is a wise decision any team would do. Teams need depth because injuries to pitchers happen inevitably, and their best pitching prospects can pitch in the majors now, but they won't do as good as if they were to stay in the minors for a few more months.

How many pitching prospects have the Sox and Mets brought up in the past 4 years? Not that many...

/Iwin.

Old
03-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Then you know nothing about the Yankees.

Scouting and player development was re-emphasized in 2006 when Cashman gained full control and Steinbrenner stepped down.

In that time.

2006: Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, Zach McAllister, Dellin Betances
2007: Andrew Brackman, Ryan Pope, Drew Storen (dns)
2008: Gerrit Cole (dns), Joseph Bittle (dns), David Phelps, Brett Marshall
2009: Adam Warren, Brett Gerritse, Graham Stoneburner, Bryan Mitchell
2010: Thomas Kahnle, Gabriel Encinas (dns), Chase Whitley, Evan Rutckyj

- Joba would have been great, but was mishandled
- Ian Kennedy was not AL East material but he helped bring in Curtis Granderson
- Zach McAllister was a great pitching prospect and was top 100 on many list, but he fell back last year because he lacked an out pitched
- Dellin Betances has absolutely nasty stuff, he is on the cusp of the major leagues, but injuries have held him back, nonetheless he has ace potential
- Brackman was a top pitching prospect in his draft, and fell to the Yankees because he needed TJS, he is a year behind because of it, but he will be in the majors this year
- Ryan Pope will be a great reliever or swingman
- Drew Storen is in the majors now, closing for the Nats
- Everyone knew Gerrit Cole was going to college, he was one of the top pitching prospects in his class, he fell to the Yankees because of college and they took a risk because he is a HUGE Yankee fan, he would be in the majors right now without a doubt, and he would be NASTY.
- Joseph Bittle, went to college instead
- David Phelps can be a great swingman
- Brett Marshall was a gem the Yankees found in the late round, he had an injury and just came back and pitched great last season
- Warren and Stoneburner are surefire major leaguers, Stoneburner can be an eventual Mo replacement, Warren will be a solid back end starter
- Bryan Mitchell has the best curveball in the organization, a total steal
- Jury is still out on 2011, as it is wayyyyy to early to even say anything

Drafting in baseball is harder and more unpredictable than any major league sports draft, yet for a team that drafts in the in the end of the round every year, they do really really well. Also just because a bunch of talent from the last 4 years hasn't really shown up, means absolutely nothing. They are pitching great, but it takes 4-5 years to develop these guys. They will be in the majors soon enough.

They also are one of the best teams at international scouting, that is how they got Banuelos who will be a stud, and Vizcaino, who was pretty much a stud before his injury that he got in the Braves Org. Then you have Nova and Noesi among others.

As for getting Garcia and Colon, that is a wise decision any team would do. Teams need depth because injuries to pitchers happen inevitably, and their best pitching prospects can pitch in the majors now, but they won't do as good as if they were to stay in the minors for a few more months.

How many pitching prospects have the Sox and Mets brought up in the past 4 years? Not that many...

/Iwin.
And how many of those guys you mentioned have actually produced results in the Major leagues? None. Only Joba and Hughes. And who gives a **** if "Drew Storen" is closing for the Nationals. He's not pitching for the Yankees is he? So my point still stands that very few pitchers drafted by this team in the last decade have had success in the majors- whether it be with the Yankees or with another team.

Everything you say about this guy "having nasty stuff" or that guy "will be great" is only speculation until they actually play with the big club. You're like the Ranger fans on this board who say that our drafting has improved before the players have played an NHL game.

And maybe you see Garcia and Colon as "wise decisions" but to me they were signed by a team who doesn't have any young pitchers to plug into the 4th and 5th spot.

Also don't tell me I know nothing about the Yankees just because I can't name every single pitcher in the organization, where he lives, and what his mom's favorite color is, buddy. Thanks.

Last edited by Stugots: 03-18-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old
03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

assets are just that. assets. u use em to improve elsewhere.

Old
03-19-2011, 03:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Did I really just see a post ended with "I win?"

Anyway, how about Izzy? I think he may actually make the team.

Old
03-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Vitto79

Perez 2 homers against, ERA of 8, see a dude

Old
03-19-2011, 02:44 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Perez 2 homers against, ERA of 8, see a dude
He's gotta be cut, he's just a detriment to the team now. I'd rather go with 24 players on the roster opposed to 25 with him on it.

Old
03-20-2011, 11:31 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Phillies signed Castillo to a minor league deal.

Closed Thread