HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
u know why this is rediculous, because the rangers put in a guy who is aiding in helping rebuild this team and an identity and because of ur lack of patience when this team finally takes a turn in the right direction, u call for his head. cant u just wait it out????? how do u expect youth to grow and learn when u want the rangers coaching job to be a revolving door. u cant fire a coach for 2 years of missing the playoffs. have some patience and let the team come together. everyones injured and this team is all youth right now.
Is he aiding in rebuilding this team for any other reason than that he has to?

With our salary cap restraints, and the influx of youth that was ALREADY HERE when he took over, what choice did Torts have?

Do people really think that the youth that's on the team today wouldn't be here if Torts wasn't the coach?

They're the best that we have, hence why they're playing.

I love this belief that Torts is the reason for the rebuild. It's hilarious. And the notion that he's the only coach who can stand behind the bench with a young team.

You can't fire a coach for missing the playoffs 2 years in a row? Did you really just say that? What can you fire him for then?

We fired our previous coach for getting us there 4 years in a row. He never freakin' missed them when he was here and he was fired.

So you tell me why the hell Torts gets a Sather like autonomy?

Old
03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
MorrisWanchuk

lol at people being so focused on gilroy in this thread.

get over it. that kid is not and will not be the reason we get in or miss the playoffs. he has very little to do with it, and very little to do with whether torts keeps his job or not.

this season, success or lack of it thereof, is about 2 things only.

1. pp sucks
2. gaborik has lost his touch

it really is that simple

Old
03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post

get over it. that kid is not and will not be the reason we get in or miss the playoffs. he has very little to do with it, and very little to do with whether torts keeps his job or not.

1. pp sucks

it really is that simple
the PP is HORRIBLE
and i dont think gaborik lost his touch, he didnt have time to find it. the injury in the home opener was it. last season he had a career year and he was healthy.

as for the gilroy thing i agree. we kinda need him now with del zotto's broken finer at this point u gotta use what u have

Old
03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

1. pp sucks

it really is that simple

How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?

To say he has nothing to do with it is odd to say the least.

Also, this is a thread about Tortorella. I believe he's the one who makes the decisions as far as who plays. How many times has he kept trotting Gilroy out there while Eminger sat on the bench?

Oh and the PP sucks...I thought Johnny was supposed to be the PP savior when he came here, no?

Old
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?

Also, this is a thread about Tortorella. I believe he's the one who makes the decisions as far as who plays. How many times has he kept trotting Gilroy out there while Eminger sat on the bench?

Oh and the PP sucks...I thought Johnny was supposed to be the PP savior when he came here, no?

give up the gilroy hate. you're missing the bigger picture.

Old
03-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I disagree completely. Torts has done a fantastic job at getting the most out of every player, and sometimes more than expected (Boyle) The players haven't been underperforming, we just can't buy a goal.

Old
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
u know why this is rediculous, because the rangers put in a guy who is aiding in helping rebuild this team and an identity and because of ur lack of patience when this team finally takes a turn in the right direction, u call for his head. cant u just wait it out????? how do u expect youth to grow and learn when u want the rangers coaching job to be a revolving door. u cant fire a coach for 2 years of missing the playoffs. have some patience and let the team come together. everyones injured and this team is all youth right now.
If Devils had same mentality, they would be a few Stanley Cups and several playoffs appearances short of what they are.

Old
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
give up the gilroy hate. you're missing the bigger picture.
Good job responding to what I said.

Old
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
the PP is HORRIBLE
and i dont think gaborik lost his touch, he didnt have time to find it. the injury in the home opener was it. last season he had a career year and he was healthy.

as for the gilroy thing i agree. we kinda need him now with del zotto's broken finer at this point u gotta use what u have
no, we don't need Gilroy, we have Eminger and McCabe as well as Valentenko and even Redden.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
no, we don't need Gilroy, we have Eminger and McCabe as well as Valentenko and even Redden.
FWIW, it's entirely possible that Valentenko performs as poorly as Gilroy at the NHL level. Valentenko has yet to play an NHL game and there are absolutely no assurances that he could step in an play competently.

It's just pain.
Old
03-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

Actually on the Sens feed last night Pierre or Gord mentioned how the powerplay was struggling, yet Torts has had a lethal PP anywhere else he has ever coached, head or assistant.

So is it really Torts?

03-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Rangers44*

With Gilroy in the lineup this season we are 25-25

With Eminger we are 30-24

Old
03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Actually on the Sens feed last night Pierre or Gord mentioned how the powerplay was struggling, yet Torts has had a lethal PP anywhere else he has ever coached, head or assistant.

So is it really Torts?
I am sure Sullivan had a lethal PP with Boston when he coached them.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
FWIW, it's entirely possible that Valentenko performs as poorly as Gilroy at the NHL level. Valentenko has yet to play an NHL game and there are absolutely no assurances that he could step in an play competently.
So? It is also possible he wins a Norris. Funny how you said "as poorly" I guess it is pretty hard to imagine him being any worse, eh?

Old
03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
chosen

Quote:
i guess tortorella injured 1/2 the team
Injuries have had little do with the results this season.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:28 PM
chosen

Quote:

Gilroy is +4 this season. If what you said was correct he would be a severe minus and near the worst in that category in this team.

This does not mean that I think Gilroy is great, but he has less than zero to do with the position this team finds itself in.

It's fine to say you think someone hasn't played all that well, but when you make a statement like, "How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?", you'd better have evidence to back it up other than you don't like the guy.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:32 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Gilroy is +4 this season. If what you said was correct he would be a severe minus and near the worst in that category in this team.

This does not mean that I think Gilroy is great, but he has less than zero to do with the position this team finds itself in.

It's fine to say you think someone hasn't played all that well, but when you make a statement like, "How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?", you'd better have evidence to back it up other than you don't like the guy.

Or what? And why?

To counteract your baseless argument of plus/minus?

So if he contributes nothing to a goal that he's on the ice for he's credited with a plus and that proves what exactly?

Did you watch the Minnesota game? He has made plays like that all season. He can't do anything around the net, in the corners, and brings nothing to the table offensively.

He has been a disaster.

Malik was always a great plus/minus guy too.

I can't even believe that's your argument.

Old
03-05-2011, 03:58 PM
bscharf

I can tell the whole story of torts with one phrase..

"You Cant Make Chicken Soup Out Of Chicken ****"

Old
03-05-2011, 05:06 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Sorry, but blaming any part of this season on Matt Gilroy, of all people, is just flat-out ridiculous.

Old
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
chosen

Quote:
Or what? And why?

To counteract your baseless argument of plus/minus?

So if he contributes nothing to a goal that he's on the ice for he's credited with a plus and that proves what exactly?

Did you watch the Minnesota game? He has made plays like that all season. He can't do anything around the net, in the corners, and brings nothing to the table offensively.

He has been a disaster.

Malik was always a great plus/minus guy too.

I can't even believe that's your argument.
If a player contributes virtually nothing offensively and ends up plus, how can he be constantly leading to goals against his own team? This is the opposite of logic.

If a player was scoring a lot at even strength, and was minus a lot as well, it would support your argument. In order for your analysis to make sense, the player who constantly ends up with the puck in the net behind him would have to be minus. There is no way around that.

If the Rangers were a great team, your stance would be a possibility but I don't think anyone here believes that.

Please explain the scenario where a player doesn't put up points, on a bad team, and ends up plus.

Gilroy has been a nothing player here and I have no desire for him to stay, but to say he is an ongoing reason for losses is silly.

Until his last season as a Ranger, Malik was plus because he wasn't bad. In fact, he was good at getting the puck out of his zone with very good and accurate first passes. He got hit hard by the rules that prevented the slower, bigger, clutching dmen from doing well. Didn't help that the crowd in his stadium taunted him when he touched the puck. Then he started coughing it up regularly and he became the dman that some perceived him as, even before it was reality.

Some players are negative almost every season. Some are positive almost every season. If something is a constant over an extended time frame, there is a reason for it.

A great example of a player who was always a minus was Duguay. He put up good amounts of points every year, but was always a negative. It's because he was as bad as it gets on the defensive side of the puck, but some stupid fans thought he was good because he put up points.

Old
03-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
terrible post

first of all you have to be a complete moron to not realize that McCabe was brought in for offense.

also those forwards you listed that would help the rangers scoring.. did u not see how much the teams had to give up for them? they aren`t even good..

you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

I think we have a solid team core, with Gabby scoring we would not have this discussion nor would have been in this situation.

Our problem is that we are now losing 2-1 games, where we used to be winning them. McCabe is a desperate shot in the dark trying to revive our PP.

Sorry I missed the offence that McCabe brought so far!

Old
03-06-2011, 07:18 AM
WheatiesHockey

Wrong to blame Torts..wrong wrong wrong...
Torts is trying to coach a team with players picked by management.
The Rangers should make the playoffs this year, so Torts might live to fight another day.

Old
03-06-2011, 12:56 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
ha, sure, very little. It just doesn't fit into the lynch mob's agenda so it no long holds water. To deny the huge impact of injuries is just ignorant.

Last edited by DutchShamrock: 03-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Can't believe you really believe that. Sure not having Gaborik for almost half the season has helped. Losing Dubi and Cally for long stretches certainly made the team better. Heck, I personally thought that Fedetenko's injury was really a blessing in disguise, right?

This team has battled injuries from day 1 like no other team in the NHL. Add to that all the youth on the team and thats a combination that would pose problems for any coach. To pretend that injuries and inexperience haven't had a negative impact on this teams play this season is shortsighted.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
ur joking right?? refer to the post above, everything was said correctly there. add tortorella's great way of handling the youth. i suppose that biron being injured and the team having to lean heavily on lundqvist down the stretch wont have any effect either

Closed Thread