HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
  #176
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
u know why this is rediculous, because the rangers put in a guy who is aiding in helping rebuild this team and an identity and because of ur lack of patience when this team finally takes a turn in the right direction, u call for his head. cant u just wait it out????? how do u expect youth to grow and learn when u want the rangers coaching job to be a revolving door. u cant fire a coach for 2 years of missing the playoffs. have some patience and let the team come together. everyones injured and this team is all youth right now.
Is he aiding in rebuilding this team for any other reason than that he has to?

With our salary cap restraints, and the influx of youth that was ALREADY HERE when he took over, what choice did Torts have?

Do people really think that the youth that's on the team today wouldn't be here if Torts wasn't the coach?

They're the best that we have, hence why they're playing.

I love this belief that Torts is the reason for the rebuild. It's hilarious. And the notion that he's the only coach who can stand behind the bench with a young team.

You can't fire a coach for missing the playoffs 2 years in a row? Did you really just say that? What can you fire him for then?

We fired our previous coach for getting us there 4 years in a row. He never freakin' missed them when he was here and he was fired.

So you tell me why the hell Torts gets a Sather like autonomy?

ruckus* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
  #177
MorrisWanchuk
Registered User
 
MorrisWanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
lol at people being so focused on gilroy in this thread.

get over it. that kid is not and will not be the reason we get in or miss the playoffs. he has very little to do with it, and very little to do with whether torts keeps his job or not.

this season, success or lack of it thereof, is about 2 things only.

1. pp sucks
2. gaborik has lost his touch

it really is that simple

MorrisWanchuk is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
  #178
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
lol at people being so focused on gilroy in this thread.

get over it. that kid is not and will not be the reason we get in or miss the playoffs. he has very little to do with it, and very little to do with whether torts keeps his job or not.

this season, success or lack of it thereof, is about 2 things only.

1. pp sucks
2. gaborik has lost his touch

it really is that simple
the PP is HORRIBLE
and i dont think gaborik lost his touch, he didnt have time to find it. the injury in the home opener was it. last season he had a career year and he was healthy.

as for the gilroy thing i agree. we kinda need him now with del zotto's broken finer at this point u gotta use what u have

GregNYR19 is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
  #179
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
lol at people being so focused on gilroy in this thread.

get over it. that kid is not and will not be the reason we get in or miss the playoffs. he has very little to do with it, and very little to do with whether torts keeps his job or not.

this season, success or lack of it thereof, is about 2 things only.

1. pp sucks
2. gaborik has lost his touch

it really is that simple

How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?

To say he has nothing to do with it is odd to say the least.

Also, this is a thread about Tortorella. I believe he's the one who makes the decisions as far as who plays. How many times has he kept trotting Gilroy out there while Eminger sat on the bench?

Oh and the PP sucks...I thought Johnny was supposed to be the PP savior when he came here, no?

ruckus* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
  #180
MorrisWanchuk
Registered User
 
MorrisWanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?

To say he has nothing to do with it is odd to say the least.

Also, this is a thread about Tortorella. I believe he's the one who makes the decisions as far as who plays. How many times has he kept trotting Gilroy out there while Eminger sat on the bench?

Oh and the PP sucks...I thought Johnny was supposed to be the PP savior when he came here, no?

give up the gilroy hate. you're missing the bigger picture.

MorrisWanchuk is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:46 PM
  #181
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
I disagree completely. Torts has done a fantastic job at getting the most out of every player, and sometimes more than expected (Boyle) The players haven't been underperforming, we just can't buy a goal.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
  #182
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
u know why this is rediculous, because the rangers put in a guy who is aiding in helping rebuild this team and an identity and because of ur lack of patience when this team finally takes a turn in the right direction, u call for his head. cant u just wait it out????? how do u expect youth to grow and learn when u want the rangers coaching job to be a revolving door. u cant fire a coach for 2 years of missing the playoffs. have some patience and let the team come together. everyones injured and this team is all youth right now.
If Devils had same mentality, they would be a few Stanley Cups and several playoffs appearances short of what they are.

Rangers44* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
  #183
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
give up the gilroy hate. you're missing the bigger picture.
Good job responding to what I said.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
  #184
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
the PP is HORRIBLE
and i dont think gaborik lost his touch, he didnt have time to find it. the injury in the home opener was it. last season he had a career year and he was healthy.

as for the gilroy thing i agree. we kinda need him now with del zotto's broken finer at this point u gotta use what u have
no, we don't need Gilroy, we have Eminger and McCabe as well as Valentenko and even Redden.

Rangers44* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:03 PM
  #185
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,044
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
no, we don't need Gilroy, we have Eminger and McCabe as well as Valentenko and even Redden.
FWIW, it's entirely possible that Valentenko performs as poorly as Gilroy at the NHL level. Valentenko has yet to play an NHL game and there are absolutely no assurances that he could step in an play competently.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:09 PM
  #186
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post

Oh and the PP sucks...I thought Johnny was supposed to be the PP savior when he came here, no?
Actually on the Sens feed last night Pierre or Gord mentioned how the powerplay was struggling, yet Torts has had a lethal PP anywhere else he has ever coached, head or assistant.

So is it really Torts?

__________________
Ail is online now  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:12 PM
  #187
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
With Gilroy in the lineup this season we are 25-25

With Eminger we are 30-24

Rangers44* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
  #188
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Actually on the Sens feed last night Pierre or Gord mentioned how the powerplay was struggling, yet Torts has had a lethal PP anywhere else he has ever coached, head or assistant.

So is it really Torts?
I am sure Sullivan had a lethal PP with Boston when he coached them.

Rangers44* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
  #189
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
FWIW, it's entirely possible that Valentenko performs as poorly as Gilroy at the NHL level. Valentenko has yet to play an NHL game and there are absolutely no assurances that he could step in an play competently.
So? It is also possible he wins a Norris. Funny how you said "as poorly" I guess it is pretty hard to imagine him being any worse, eh?

Rangers44* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
  #190
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
i guess tortorella injured 1/2 the team
Injuries have had little do with the results this season.

chosen is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:28 PM
  #191
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?

To say he has nothing to do with it is odd to say the least.

Also, this is a thread about Tortorella. I believe he's the one who makes the decisions as far as who plays. How many times has he kept trotting Gilroy out there while Eminger sat on the bench?

Oh and the PP sucks...I thought Johnny was supposed to be the PP savior when he came here, no?
Gilroy is +4 this season. If what you said was correct he would be a severe minus and near the worst in that category in this team.

This does not mean that I think Gilroy is great, but he has less than zero to do with the position this team finds itself in.

It's fine to say you think someone hasn't played all that well, but when you make a statement like, "How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?", you'd better have evidence to back it up other than you don't like the guy.

chosen is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:32 PM
  #192
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Gilroy is +4 this season. If what you said was correct he would be a severe minus and near the worst in that category in this team.

This does not mean that I think Gilroy is great, but he has less than zero to do with the position this team finds itself in.

It's fine to say you think someone hasn't played all that well, but when you make a statement like, "How many one goal games have we lost this year? And how many times has Gilroy been responsible for the puck ending up in the back of our net?", you'd better have evidence to back it up other than you don't like the guy.

Or what? And why?

To counteract your baseless argument of plus/minus?

So if he contributes nothing to a goal that he's on the ice for he's credited with a plus and that proves what exactly?

Did you watch the Minnesota game? He has made plays like that all season. He can't do anything around the net, in the corners, and brings nothing to the table offensively.

He has been a disaster.

Malik was always a great plus/minus guy too.

I can't even believe that's your argument.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 03:58 PM
  #193
bscharf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
I can tell the whole story of torts with one phrase..

"You Cant Make Chicken Soup Out Of Chicken ****"

bscharf is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 05:06 PM
  #194
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
Sorry, but blaming any part of this season on Matt Gilroy, of all people, is just flat-out ridiculous.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
  #195
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Or what? And why?

To counteract your baseless argument of plus/minus?

So if he contributes nothing to a goal that he's on the ice for he's credited with a plus and that proves what exactly?

Did you watch the Minnesota game? He has made plays like that all season. He can't do anything around the net, in the corners, and brings nothing to the table offensively.

He has been a disaster.

Malik was always a great plus/minus guy too.

I can't even believe that's your argument.
If a player contributes virtually nothing offensively and ends up plus, how can he be constantly leading to goals against his own team? This is the opposite of logic.

If a player was scoring a lot at even strength, and was minus a lot as well, it would support your argument. In order for your analysis to make sense, the player who constantly ends up with the puck in the net behind him would have to be minus. There is no way around that.

If the Rangers were a great team, your stance would be a possibility but I don't think anyone here believes that.

Please explain the scenario where a player doesn't put up points, on a bad team, and ends up plus.

Gilroy has been a nothing player here and I have no desire for him to stay, but to say he is an ongoing reason for losses is silly.

Until his last season as a Ranger, Malik was plus because he wasn't bad. In fact, he was good at getting the puck out of his zone with very good and accurate first passes. He got hit hard by the rules that prevented the slower, bigger, clutching dmen from doing well. Didn't help that the crowd in his stadium taunted him when he touched the puck. Then he started coughing it up regularly and he became the dman that some perceived him as, even before it was reality.

Some players are negative almost every season. Some are positive almost every season. If something is a constant over an extended time frame, there is a reason for it.

A great example of a player who was always a minus was Duguay. He put up good amounts of points every year, but was always a negative. It's because he was as bad as it gets on the defensive side of the puck, but some stupid fans thought he was good because he put up points.

chosen is offline  
Old
03-06-2011, 06:13 AM
  #196
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
terrible post

first of all you have to be a complete moron to not realize that McCabe was brought in for offense.

also those forwards you listed that would help the rangers scoring.. did u not see how much the teams had to give up for them? they aren`t even good..

you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

I think we have a solid team core, with Gabby scoring we would not have this discussion nor would have been in this situation.

Our problem is that we are now losing 2-1 games, where we used to be winning them. McCabe is a desperate shot in the dark trying to revive our PP.

Sorry I missed the offence that McCabe brought so far!

Sad London Ranger is offline  
Old
03-06-2011, 07:18 AM
  #197
WheatiesHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Wrong to blame Torts..wrong wrong wrong...
Torts is trying to coach a team with players picked by management.
The Rangers should make the playoffs this year, so Torts might live to fight another day.

WheatiesHockey is offline  
Old
03-06-2011, 12:56 PM
  #198
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Injuries have had little do with the results this season.
ha, sure, very little. It just doesn't fit into the lynch mob's agenda so it no long holds water. To deny the huge impact of injuries is just ignorant.


Last edited by DutchShamrock: 03-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.
DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
  #199
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Injuries have had little do with the results this season.
Can't believe you really believe that. Sure not having Gaborik for almost half the season has helped. Losing Dubi and Cally for long stretches certainly made the team better. Heck, I personally thought that Fedetenko's injury was really a blessing in disguise, right?

This team has battled injuries from day 1 like no other team in the NHL. Add to that all the youth on the team and thats a combination that would pose problems for any coach. To pretend that injuries and inexperience haven't had a negative impact on this teams play this season is shortsighted.

JerseyRangers is offline  
Old
03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
  #200
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Injuries have had little do with the results this season.
ur joking right?? refer to the post above, everything was said correctly there. add tortorella's great way of handling the youth. i suppose that biron being injured and the team having to lean heavily on lundqvist down the stretch wont have any effect either

GregNYR19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.