HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're Number Four (Vancouver Canucks Fans that is)

Old
03-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
We're Number Four (Vancouver Canucks Fans that is)

According to Adrian Dater the Cancuks rank at Number Four among NHL fan bases.
http://www.versus.com/blogs/nhl-expe...e-best-in-nhl/

At # 3 are the Flyers, followed at #2 by the Habs and #1... (DRUMROLL) - The Leafs.

Here is his take on us classless fans:
4. Vancouver Canucks – It’s just a rabid hockey town, period. A big reason why, of course, is the lack of any other big-time professional team (sorry B.C. Lions).

The media in Vancouver is a voracious beast, parceling every scrap of info it can get on the beloved Canucks to a rapt public.

Canucks games are a lot of fun to attend, too, though the team has been embarrassed a couple of times by drunken louts (including the many who booed the American national anthem in a 2001 playoff series with Colorado, and many idiots following the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident).

But for the most part, Canucks fans are smart, loyal people who love, love, love their team. Maybe no other city thirsts for a Stanley Cup more than Vancouver, with only two trips to the Cup round in a history that dates to 1970.

If the Canucks ever win it – and the current team has the best chance of any in its history – the parade through the crammed city interior is going to be insane.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 03-04-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Placebo Effect

Doesn't make Dater less of an idiot

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
JBIZ14

No link Wet?

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:01 PM
NuxFan09

He's right about the fact that if the Canucks win the Cup, the parade through the streets WILL be insane.

I know Canucks fans come across as homers and such on these boards, but what it really comes down to is what Dater mentioned: the intense passion we have for our team and the absolute thirst we have for the Cup. Why were most of us so gung ho about Hank winning the Art Ross and Hart last year? Why are most of us actually excited that the team has a chance at the President's Trophy when most other say it doesn't matter? I know for me, personally, it's because after being a fan of a team mired in mediocrity for so long, excellence in every area is greatly desired. Agreed anyone?

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Kid_Roll

Dater is still recovering from the **** tease Forsberg pulled on him, he is probably in a very emotional state right now. It's the only reason he was semi-nice to us.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

I imagine the cup celebration will be bigger than the olympic gold medal one.

Which was already insane.

03-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I imagine the cup celebration will be bigger than the olympic gold medal one.

Which was already insane.
I've had this argument a number of times with friends who maintain we'll never beat the Olympics; I've always maintained if you think the Olympic hockey gold was nuts just wait for the Cup celebration. The gold celebration blew over pretty much the day of; a Cup celebration could go on for like a week.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
biturbo19

nah. too many 'suits' to be all that good of a fanbase.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I've had this argument a number of times with friends who maintain we'll never beat the Olympics; I've always maintained if you think the Olympic hockey gold was nuts just wait for the Cup celebration. The gold celebration blew over pretty much the day of; a Cup celebration could go on for like a week.
the thing about the Gold celebration that made it so special, was that not only was Vancouver itself completely insane...so was the entire rest of the country.

doubt they'll have mobs rushing through the streets of every other city across Canada if the Canucks win the cup.

but as for just Vancouver itself, a cup win certainly could come close to rivaling the Gold...but i don't see it quite getting there. there was just too much buildup to that, too many people around, and EVERYBODY was watching...including a boatload of people who never watch hockey outside of the Olympics.

Old
03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
According to Adrian Dater ...

(including the many who booed the American national anthem in a 2001 playoff series with Colorado, ...).
IIRC, that was in response to a Denver newspaper column (reprinted in The Province) in which the writer mocked Canada. Typical "ugly American" attitude, we can mock you but don't you dare boo our national anthem!

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
You are right. The Olympic gold was the culmination of two weeks, a Stanley Cup will be after eight weeks of playoffs and 40 years of waiting. It will be the Stanley Cup, and it won't even be close.

And for the whole "rest of Canada" argument, who cares? Toronto celebrating the Olympic gold made me enjoy it less not more.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Bobby Orrhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
the thing about the Gold celebration that made it so special, was that not only was Vancouver itself completely insane...so was the entire rest of the country.

doubt they'll have mobs rushing through the streets of every other city across Canada if the Canucks win the cup.

but as for just Vancouver itself, a cup win certainly could come close to rivaling the Gold...but i don't see it quite getting there. there was just too much buildup to that, too many people around, and EVERYBODY was watching...including a boatload of people who never watch hockey outside of the Olympics.
The Gold medal win was great and it was great that we won it on our home soil, but we've all seen Team Canada win a gold medal at the Olympics before. The Canucks have 40 years of piss poor history behind them and I think for Canuck fans that 40 years, plus the four rounds of the playoffs would make it much more special.

The Gold medal win was awesome and I'll never forget watching it, and I'll always remember exactly where I was. However, if the Canucks win the Stanley cup, that gold medal win will pale in comparison. I'm repeating myself here, but I've seen Team Canada win the gold medal. I've never seen the Canucks win a Stanley cup.

Bobby Orrhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orrhoff View Post
The Gold medal win was great and it was great that we won it on our home soil, but we've all seen Team Canada win a gold medal at the Olympics before. The Canucks have 40 years of piss poor history behind them and I think for Canuck fans that 40 years, plus the four rounds of the playoffs would make it much more special.

The Gold medal win was awesome and I'll never forget watching it, and I'll always remember exactly where I was. However, if the Canucks win the Stanley cup, that gold medal win will pale in comparison. I'm repeating myself here, but I've seen Team Canada win the gold medal. I've never seen the Canucks win a Stanley cup.
that's true for people like us, posting away on a Canucks related internet forum. hardcore die-hard fans. for me personally, i think a Canucks cup win would at least rival, if not surpass the excitement and celebration of the Gold. but for me, the Canucks loss to the Rangers is already one of the most memorable events of my childhood...i can imagine it would be even more memorable if they won. but that's not necessarily the norm.

in general, i'd say there are more people interested in Canadian Olympic hockey than the Canucks. even within Vancouver itself. not to mention that the gold win seemed to draw in everybody from outside the world of 'hockey fans' as a sort of wrap up to a huge olympics for Canada as a whole, across all sports. i mean, my grandparents watched that game! lol. and they're not exactly 'hockey fans'.

with a cup win though, you'll probably end up with a longer, more drawn out sort of celebration...with events and all the rest lasting on into the days to follow. whereas the Olympics had other things to move on to the next day and then it was done right after. but in terms of the initial craziness, i think the olympics are probably close to unbeatable.

Old
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Crows*

Surprised coming from him. I have no doubt a stanley cup win would be bigger than olympic gold, in terms of a party. I plan to be ready to party downtown for a week straight.

Then there's the parade. I could see a million people showing up. Do the parade on a saturday or sunday.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:19 AM
ProstheticConscience
Das ist mein Land

But are we still the most annoying fans? Or has that fad passed now?

And if the Canucks win the Stanley Cup, the party will be bigger than the Olympic Gold. 40 years of pent-up frustration will be released. And I'll be downtown at Ground Zero.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
But are we still the most annoying fans? Or has that fad passed now?

And if the Canucks win the Stanley Cup, the party will be bigger than the Olympic Gold. 40 years of pent-up frustration will be released. And I'll be downtown at Ground Zero.
We are classless fans.

A Dominion Challenge Cup victory celebration should be a riot if past history is any indicator.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:58 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Easily a week. Business would cease for days easy.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Downtown is getting trashed regardless of the cup final outcome - given we get there of course.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
76ftw

Leafs number 1?

I've always thought it was Habs 1 Nucks 2 but meh...

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:57 AM
brownbello

Yeah we're number 4!!! (As a Canuck's fan you got to celebrate the small victories! hehe)

brownbello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
God
Free Citizen

Wow don't show Oilers fans this or they might get aneurysms

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
timorousme
luongod

the olympics were cool but that team was together for two weeks and a favourite to win it

a stanley cup would be the culmination of 40 tortured years and we wouldn't have to share it with toronto

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I hope this isn't true -- when the favorite (and the country who plays the game way, way more than anyone else by a huge margin -- and no one else even really cares) wins gold in like a six-team tournament of a handful of games, this shouldn't even be comparable to when one long-suffering team overcomes crazy odds in a 30-team league with enforced parity after a gruelling long season and four rounds of playoffs.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 03:05 PM
lush
@jasonlush

So really at this point we're letting the team down instead of the other way around. They're ranked #1 but we're #4.... pretty sad

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Runestone

While the reaction throughout the rest of the country may be mixed, the overall sentiment may be one of muted satisfaction over the return of the Cup to a Canadian team.

Runestone is offline   Reply With Quote