HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kreider (Broken Jaw; Out 4-6 Weeks)

Old
03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
I agree completely. I think he'll slide in at our possibly vacant LW spot. I just have a good feeling about how this kid is going to do at the pro level. Its why he was drafted where he was out of high school.

Kid has pro tools; even if he isn't scoring goals he has devastating speed that can make him a threat shorthanded. If our PK pairs next year are

Dubi-Cally
Boyle-Prust
Stepan-Kreider

We can take some minutes off of AA to make him fresher at even strength.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Put Kreider on the PK with the team's best shot blockers.

I think we would see a lot of scoring opportunities for Kreider on the PK.

This is point. He's developed two ways.

He can play and be a threat in any situation.

Something I don't believe he would have done in the Q.

Running over smaller kids in Junior and not learning a two way game didn't exactly prep another one of our top prospects for the pro game very well. And stunted his development. Grachev.

When the debate of NCAA v CHL comes up, it needs to be evaluated at an individual basis.

Kreider's decision to go to the NCAA was the best decision. His game is more suited for the pro game now.

A guy like Thomas can develop in the CHL.

A guy like Kreider had to develop in the NCAA.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 03-06-2011 at 10:27 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Lol I believe he said "around 220".

Last September he weighed in at 218. That was coming from the New York Rangers.

At the end of the NCAA season last year he weighed 207.

In a few short months of intense training, which is how he rolls, he put on 10 lbs of muscle.

He will probably be at or over 220 by the time camp opens in September.

A 6-2, 220+ lbs, 20 year old, two way, responsible winger, with intense work ethic, elite skating speed, an elite level shot, quick hands, listens to his coaches, and has a winning team-first mentality.

Yeah, he's making the roster out of camp.
Wow, that kind of sums up my thoughts exactly. Nice post man

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Stepanformayor*

We dont need another bottom six forward or a shot blocker right now. We need a kid that will step in a produce goals. Have some of you not watched the last 15 games. We can not score!!! Again I am not saying he wot be a Ranger in the short future, but he did not dominate the World Junior tourney and he is having what most hockey people would consider a down year. Do not rush him.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers4life10 View Post
Wow, that kind of sums up my thoughts exactly. Nice post man
I'm just really excited about Kreider.

I haven't been this excited about a prospect since Cherepanov.

I loved Cherepanov. I never followed a prospect's career the way I did Cherepanov. I had video of every one of his goals, I had all his videos from camp, I had a zillion in game photos of him. Photoshop wallpapers. I watched streams of his games...unfortunately lost it all when my computer commit suicide.

I even won his rookie card on ebay, which I got screwed on, it never came in the mail.

I'm not saying Kreider replaced Cherepanov for me, but, he sort of filled a void, if you know what I mean.

Old
03-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I'm just really excited about Kreider.

I haven't been this excited about a prospect since Cherepanov.

I loved Cherepanov. I never followed a prospect's career the way I did Cherepanov. I had video of every one of his goals, I had all his videos from camp, I had a zillion in game photos of him. Photoshop wallpapers. I watched streams of his games...unfortunately lost it all when my computer commit suicide.

I even won his rookie card on ebay, which I got screwed on, it never came in the mail.

I'm not saying Kreider replaced Cherepanov for me, but, he sort of filled a void, if you know what I mean.
Yea im really excited about Kreider also. I never get tired of watching his goal from the Beanpot against BU. That goal was just amazingly beautiful

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
We dont need another bottom six forward or a shot blocker right now. We need a kid that will step in a produce goals. Have some of you not watched the last 15 games. We can not score!!! Again I am not saying he wot be a Ranger in the short future, but he did not dominate the World Junior tourney and he is having what most hockey people would consider a down year. Do not rush him.
Kreider is not a bottom six shot blocker, though.

Don't confuse having learned a two way responsible game, for lack of offensive talent.

He was not the go-to guy in Boston College. That would be Atkinson, who is a Senior.

He was also the most mature player on his team at the WJC. Forgetting he was a PPG in the tournament.

The reason its so important that he developed a two way game, is that this coaching staff in New York will be able to put Kreider on the ice, no matter the situation. He won't be a liability on the ice. Increasing the coaching staff's trust in him. Increasing his ice time. Thus, helping his development, not hurting it.

Kreider isn't a player that just scores goals. He generates offense from his own end using his speed and his responsible game. Sort of the way a puck moving defenseman can. Stepping up in the neutral zone, causing a trun over, causing opportunities in the offensive zone.

The importance of a two way game. Offense starts on the defensive side of the puck.

The fact he learned this, and descovered this at a young age, proves he has a higher hockey IQ then some would have you believe.

Part of that IQ is NOT acting like Rambo and trying to dominate the game by yourself. Rather, playing within a team game, and capitalizing on the opportunities you DO get. Using your individual skills and tools to help that happen.

His overall game has progressed very rapidly since being drafted.

When he was drafted he wasn't a liability defensively, but you couldn't call him a two way player. And some felt he would be nothing more then a one-dimensional speedster.

In one and a half short seasons, he's developed into a legitimate two way player. All while learning what it takes to win.

That makes him a better player.

Tortorella and the Rangers are not ignorant to all of this. Tortorella may not be paying much attention to Kreider right now, but he will be privy to this information and see the video, and see the kid first hand later in the summer.

With the talent level Kreider will be playing with in New York, needless to say, much more talented players then he has at any point thus far in his development, his game is going to continue to rapidly grow.

He's a smart kid, he knows what he needs to do, he adapts fast.

Now, am I saying he will step in and score 30 goals right off the bat. No. Probably not. I wouldn't count out the possibility, though. And I expect about 20-20-40 in his rookie season. Like Stepan.

If we sign Richards and he gets time with Gaborik and Richards, the sky is the limit in his rookie season. A realistic possibility based on the fact they all excell on the rush.

IMO, there's no way they take the potential impact he could have on the team, and bury it in Hartford.

Size, strength, and work ethic is not an issue with Kreider, so he's already at an advantage.

Old
03-06-2011, 11:46 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This talk reminds me of my favorite Cherepanov goal.

Recieves a pass, and all in one motion puts the puck around the defender, shoots and roofs the puck.

All while doing it with style in his white Eagle gloves.

I miss the kid.

Old
03-06-2011, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

Kreider is the type of player who plays better with better players. He isn't the type of player who NEEDS the puck. He is the type of player who will compliment any superstar very well because of this fact.

He will do the dirty work, go hard to the net, score goals in any way the team needs him to. Pair him with a center like Richards and watch him become a 35-40 goal scorer.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Recieves a pass, and all in one motion puts the puck around the defender, shoots and roofs the puck.

I miss the kid.
Me too. I was so high on him but what happened to him should never have happened. He should not have been playing hockey.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

I miss the kid.
I remember how excited I was when I saw that goal. A thing of beauty.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I agree completely. I think he'll slide in at our possibly vacant LW spot. I just have a good feeling about how this kid is going to do at the pro level. Its why he was drafted where he was out of high school.

Kid has pro tools; even if he isn't scoring goals he has devastating speed that can make him a threat shorthanded. If our PK pairs next year are

Dubi-Cally
Boyle-Prust
Stepan-Kreider

We can take some minutes off of AA to make him fresher at even strength.
I have a distinct feeling Kreider stays @ BC another two years.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I have a distinct feeling Kreider stays @ BC another two years.
You have to look at it from the point of view of the kid. With some players, staying in school and getting a degree is the right move. With Kreider, in his draft position, he is looking at several million dollars worth of money in his ELC. Does he want to risk a career ending injury in college and never see a dollar of professional money? Doubtful.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You have to look at it from the point of view of the kid. With some players, staying in school and getting a degree is the right move. With Kreider, in his draft position, he is looking at several million dollars worth of money in his ELC. Does he want to risk a career ending injury in college and never see a dollar of professional money? Doubtful.
This kid is chiseled from a different rock. Money doesnt mean that much to him. His dream was always to play college hockey in Boston. He is living the dream. He loves Boston College. He loves School and he loves playing hockey for his school.

My feeling is he stays four years. Not the worst thing because when he graduates, he will be very polished.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Not this argument again about the player loving a school and not turning pro.

We went through it last year with both Stepan and McDonagh.

Stepan said he was not leaving school on more than one occasion.

All of the "experts" on twitter said McDonagh wasn't leaving Wisconsin after being named captain.

They were going to avenge the loss in the Frozen Four. Badger Pride.

They made decisions based on their pro careers and what was best for them.

Kreider is looking at a $270,000 signing bonus. $900,000 is the max for 2009 picks. 10% can be a signing bonus. Another $300,000-$500,000 per in performance bonuses.

How many of the kids graduating from BC this spring are getting a $270,000 check PLUS the ability to make another $1M in their first year out of college?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:44 PM
XLJ

If he comes out of school I see him making the team. He would probably start the season on the third line. Hopefully we sign Richards, I would love if our team looks something like this next year

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Anisimov-Zuccarello
Avery-Boyle-Prust

Last edited by XLJ: 03-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
If he comes out of school I see him making the team. He would probably start the season on the third line. Hopefully we sign Richards I would love if our team looks something likes this next year

Wolski-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Anisimov-Zuccarello
Avery-Boyle-Prust
I'd be pretty happy with those lines. That's pretty much how I hope the offseason works out. Drury probably gets bought out to get some cap space, maybe Redden will **** off

Going to be interesting to see how things work out with the cap though...it'll probably go up again and the Rangers need to clear some space, but they might be able to fit everyone in

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Not this argument again about the player loving a school and not turning pro.

We went through it last year with both Stepan and McDonagh.

Stepan said he was not leaving school on more than one occasion.

All of the "experts" on twitter said McDonagh wasn't leaving Wisconsin after being named captain.

They were going to avenge the loss in the Frozen Four. Badger Pride.

They made decisions based on their pro careers and what was best for them.

Kreider is looking at a $270,000 signing bonus. $900,000 is the max for 2009 picks. 10% can be a signing bonus. Another $300,000-$500,000 per in performance bonuses.

How many of the kids graduating from BC this spring are getting a $270,000 check PLUS the ability to make another $1M in their first year out of college?
Yup...didn't take much to convince McDonagh once he spent time at the Rangers' rookie workouts in June after the draft. And, IMO, once Stepan recovered from his concussion in the Frozen Four final, he knew then he wasn't passing up a shot at making big bucks while risking injury. I'm sure the same thoughts are going through Kreider's mind right now.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
No, my ideal Rangers lineup for next year looks like;

Krieder-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Prust-Boyle-Hagelin

Avery is a defensive liability and since he doesn't play special teams, I can see Hagelin taking his spot and Avery and Chrsitensen being the extras. I hope that Werek and Horak have a say in this as well.

I think separating Dubinsky and Callahan is a big mistake.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
broadwayblue

Guys on NBC were gushing over Chris today. Seemed a bit odd nobody told them Kreider had a broken jaw and was out for the season. Speaking of which, do we know anything more about the status of the injury?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Kreider is not a bottom six shot blocker, though.

Don't confuse having learned a two way responsible game, for lack of offensive talent.

He was not the go-to guy in Boston College. That would be Atkinson, who is a Senior.

He was also the most mature player on his team at the WJC. Forgetting he was a PPG in the tournament.

((a lot edited out))

Supersonic, I know I've disagreed with a lot of your opinions in the past, but I wanted to say that I enjoyed this post and appreciated the analysis of Kreider's game.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:17 PM
msv957

Good thread with Kreider.

It is obvious he could dominate on offense in college when he wanted but instead worked on other parts of his game. I think there are 5 or 6 players on BC alone who have more points than Kreider. No one can say these players who had more points than Kreider are better hockey players than Kreider. It is a unique situation where the best player on BC was not being asked to be the best player on BC.

He has had 2 years of seasoning since being drafted. Kreider is ready for the Pros. His game has NHL pro written all over him. Bill Guerin/Eric Cole type of player

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I fully expect him to be given a shot at 2nd line LW next season with Anisimov/Stepan and Callahan.

Him and Hagelin (starting on the 4th line and as a penalty killer) will be the two rookies making it out of camp.
I don't think that he will get 4th line minutes if he's here. The kid is a natural goal scorer, he would only benefit playing top line minutes. Similar to the Zuccarello situation earlier in the year, they won't bring Kreider in to play bottom line minutes. It won't make him better.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
It's a mute point.
Sorry this is a classic! Moot not mute...

Anyway, I think CK comes out this year and the time is just right. Come play in the A, and get called up or come ready to go in 2012. Timing is everything...no sense in him staying in college really.

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Did you watch the WJC? Kreider is more talented and more of a professional then all of his teammates, yet they have better numbers then him (some way better, like Zucker). Jeremy Morin looked like absolute crap, and he tore up the OHL the season before, and looked good in his NHL stunts. Juniors/NCAA stats aren't everything.
I remember a few years ago (2004), the Finnish line with Korpikoski dominated in the WJC. I was thrilled when the Rangers took him, and I was bummed they took Montoya instead of one of his linemates (Tukonen). The third linemate (Nokaleinen) was picked by the Isles. All 3 of them were essentially busts. I don't think a short series is the best indicator of success in the NHL.

I would be very happy to stand corrected. I am simply asking for one or more examples where a college player who did not score a point per game as a sophomore went on to the NHL and was productive as a top 6 forward the next season. I could be wrong, but I do not recall a single such example in the 40 years I've been watching the NHL.

I'm not necessarily saying Kreider will be a bust. He's very young, and he has tools. But at this point in their development, I think Christian Thomas or even Evgeny Grachev are ahead of Kreider -- Thomas because he has a natural scorer's touch, and Grachev because he's played pro for 2 years.

I just am skeptical as to whether Kreider will be the first player in let's say the last 30 NHL seasons to make such a leap. If he makes it as a top 6 forward for the Rangers, it won't be next year.

Last edited by Jxmarts: 03-07-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote