HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/5/11 Bergie Vs Dvo 7:00 Et

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
I wanna see Samsonov signed to a 1-2 year deal. Best stickhandler/offensive mind this team has had in a while and does that sound horrible.

Don't blame Ellerby. He's just part of tank plan just like Vokoun

Old
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
How is there no room for him? I would be very surprised if he wasn't on the team next season.. He's got more skill then most anybody on our team. I think he's a good 1-year guy for sure
I wanna see youth on our team get a shot next season while also going out and making a big UFA signing. Samsonov is very shifty and I know we're not used to seeing good skill on this team, but he takes away a spot from a young guy on what figures to be a crowded forward group. Unless Samsonov is our big UFA signing. And all in all, Samsonov is not that good. He might get 35 pts. this season, and that's if he catches fire the rest of the season. Hopefully we get one of Couturier, Landeskog, or RNH and they make the team next season. If they do, then it's something like:

Couturier-Weiss-X(offseason acquisition)
Booth-Santorelli-Bergfors
Dadonov-Matthias-Skille
X(tough guy)-Reasoner(hopefully)-Kennedy

extras:Olesz, Repik

Even though we all want to see it, they won't buy out Olesz having to pay all that money out up front. And we NEED a tough guy on the 4th line playing regular shifts, we are too soft and we need to get bigger, tougher, and meaner up front. Repik, if he's not traded at the draft, needs to make our team next season or he'll have to pass through waivers to be sent down after training camp. He's played the required number of games. There isn't anyone in that starting 12 I'd take out for Samsonov.

Old
03-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
50/50 on Samsonov being resigned. Reason I say that is because I'm not sure Tallon wants two undersized left wingers in Dadanov and Samsonov.
Another good point. Tallon said he wants to get bigger and meaner this summer, and singing Samsonov is not a step in the right direction of that plan. We are going to sign a skill forward who's better than Samsonov anyway.

Old
03-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Another good point. Tallon said he wants to get bigger and meaner this summer, and singing Samsonov is not a step in the right direction of that plan. We are going to sign a skill forward who's better than Samsonov anyway.
Can't we sign Samsonov and then sign another skill forward?

I think that would be taking a step in the right direction.

No matter how inconsistent he is, he has high hockey IQ and good hands, something this team has desperately needed for awhile now. We can ALWAYS use that, regardless of what form it comes in.

Last edited by Egblad: 03-06-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old
03-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Can't we sign Samsonov and then sign another skill forward?

I think that would be taking a step in the right direction.

No matter how inconsistent he is, he has high hockey IQ and good hands, something this team has desperately needed for awhile now. We can ALWAYS use that, regardless of what form it comes in.
Where does he fit though? I don't want him taking a spot from a young forward.

Old
03-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Where does he fit though? I don't want him taking a spot from a young forward.
Who do you expect to make the jump?

edit: just saw your post above with speculated line-up. I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if he was resigned just in case Tallon can't land a forward he wants in FA.

Old
03-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Still think he's here next year...

Old
03-06-2011, 01:45 PM
KW

If Sammy plays well, it WOULD be just like the panthers to pass up on him. And yes we actually have spots for him, dadonov, mr tough guy, Kennedy, skille are not all locks for a spot. MR I don't know why you'd wanna pass up on a true skill guy if he's got the right stuff.

Old
03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Why do we want to sign a guy that has 1 more point than Stillman has in 12 more games played. He has some skill but he is like all the other marginal free agents this team signs that we all hate.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
If Sammy plays well, it WOULD be just like the panthers to pass up on him. And yes we actually have spots for him, dadonov, mr tough guy, Kennedy, skille are not all locks for a spot. MR I don't know why you'd wanna pass up on a true skill guy if he's got the right stuff.
If Samsonov turns it around here and proves he's more than just a declining vet, then I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back. But going about on his current scoring pace won't do. He's going to have to light it up to finish off the year for me to change my mind. If he's just looking good and showing off his stickhandling skills but not producing, then I don't want any part of him. That's not worth taking away a spot from a young guy who could be part of our future to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
Why do we want to sign a guy that has 1 more point than Stillman has in 12 more games played. He has some skill but he is like all the other marginal free agents this team signs that we all hate.
This is what I'm wondering as well. What makes Samsonov so special? Because he's flashy?

Old
03-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Are there even many better UFA forwards out there this off season?

Old
03-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Are there even many better UFA forwards out there this off season?
Definitely. Just off the top of my head:

Laich
Leino
Cole
Fleischmann
J. Jokinen
Upshall
Kopecky

I'd take Tanguay, Langenbrunner, Brunette, and Prospal over him too. At this point.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:47 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

There's only half an ounce of hope in my mind that this team's trying for much of anything next season either. It probably doesn't make much of a difference who's available. We'll get cheap and serviceable, or whatever keeps us above cap floor.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Definitely. Just off the top of my head:

Laich
Leino
Cole
Fleischmann
J. Jokinen
Upshall
Kopecky

I'd take Tanguay, Langenbrunner, Brunette, and Prospal over him too. At this point.
I'd definitely take Tanguay over Samsonov. Tanguay is having a great bounce back season. I bet he re-ups in Calgary though. Seems to be the only place he can be productive

Old
03-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbanana View Post
There's only half an ounce of hope in my mind that this team's trying for much of anything next season either. It probably doesn't make much of a difference who's available. We'll get cheap and serviceable, or whatever keeps us above cap floor.
Pretty much this. I'm not sold that Viner is willing to spend the money until he actually does. Where we are in the rebuild right now, it makes no sense to go stock up on FA signings. However, I definitely have my reservations about whether or not that will ever happen when the time is right anyway.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
How is there no room for him? I would be very surprised if he wasn't on the team next season.. He's got more skill then most anybody on our team. I think he's a good 1-year guy for sure
Booth, Bergfors, Dadonov + the many wingers in free agency who are better than Samsonov.

Please...no to Samsonov. We only got him because Carolina wanted to dump his salary for the rest of the year. He's not that good, nor does he have any upside.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Erick

Quote:
Pretty much this. I'm not sold that Viner is willing to spend the money until he actually does. Where we are in the rebuild right now, it makes no sense to go stock up on FA signings. However, I definitely have my reservations about whether or not that will ever happen when the time is right anyway.
They have no other choice.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:06 PM
KW

Of course we dont sign him if he's mediocre like stiller -- the underlying assumption was that he's good the rest of the season

Old
03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
They have no other choice.
True, but it could be plugs again, or overpaying for mediocre players (which this may be a likely scenario judging by the crop this year). I just don't want to get my hopes up, and refuse to do that. Been shot down too many times.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Erick

Quote:
True, but it could be plugs again, or overpaying for mediocre players (which this may be a likely scenario judging by the crop this year). I just don't want to get my hopes up, and refuse to do that. Been shot down too many times.
I agree that's a possibility; my point is that they have no other choice but to spend the money. It's not as if they have the choice of being cheap this offseason.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Of course we dont sign him if he's mediocre like stiller -- the underlying assumption was that he's good the rest of the season
Tallon won't keep Samsonov. This is the same guy he once waived in Chicago. Samsonov has a history of being inconsistent/disappointing, and he's not young, by any means.

It's nice that he's trying now, but he's also fighting to stay in the NHL. Not buying it. He's just here because his expiring contract was needed to get rid of Allen's salary next year, and Carolina was dying to get rid of him.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I agree that's a possibility; my point is that they have no other choice but to spend the money. It's not as if they have the choice of being cheap this offseason.
They can still be cheap and spend money. We should know this by now.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Erick

Quote:
They can still be cheap and spend money. We should know this by now.
There are only so many roster spots. They have approximately 30 million to spend. A player or two will get a fairly big contract from the Panthers this offseason.

Old
03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
16Skippy

Quote:
I wanna see youth on our team get a shot next season while also going out and making a big UFA signing. Samsonov is very shifty and I know we're not used to seeing good skill on this team, but he takes away a spot from a young guy on what figures to be a crowded forward group. Unless Samsonov is our big UFA signing. And all in all, Samsonov is not that good. He might get 35 pts. this season, and that's if he catches fire the rest of the season. Hopefully we get one of Couturier, Landeskog, or RNH and they make the team next season. If they do, then it's something like:

Dadonov-Matthias-Skille

Even though we all want to see it, they won't buy out Olesz having to pay all that money out up front. And we NEED a tough guy on the 4th line playing regular shifts, we are too soft and we need to get bigger, tougher, and meaner up front. Repik, if he's not traded at the draft, needs to make our team next season or he'll have to pass through waivers to be sent down after training camp. He's played the required number of games. There isn't anyone in that starting 12 I'd take out for Samsonov.
I like those lines, but my question/concern is what if we are unable to draft Couturier, or what if we draft him or Lando or whoever and they aren't ready for top-6 responsibilities? I'd like to sign a veteran so we're not expecting an 18 year old rookie to fill that role.

Old
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:

Dadonov-Matthias-Skille

I can see if we re-sign Reasoner, we would have centers for the four lines, but why would you move Couturier out of his natural position? I would rather see him anchor the 2nd line, and have Matty play one of the wings on the 3rd or 4th line.

For the tough guy, Id like them to keep Jessiman. He seems like he could fit the role as the "tough guy."

Closed Thread