HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why did the Canucks change their logo in the first place?

Old
03-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Solidius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Hey guys, I have a great idea for a logo for the Canucks to represent Canucks Hockey.

FTFY

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:20 PM
pucky

With the weed and the latest suggestions, I guess the conclusion that should be reached are these Canucks fans on drugs? I mean, what else could it be?

Seriously, there's no good logos so far presented and the discussion continues... the Canucks have used half a dozen various uniforms and logos since there's not one good one.

Why can't a maple leaf be used? There's variations of Leaf logos out there and surely a design can be used that would be accepted. The Leafs don't have a veto on every and any leaf derivative that could be created.

Anyways, carry on...

pucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
With the weed and the latest suggestions, I guess the conclusion that should be reached are these Canucks fans on drugs? I mean, what else could it be?

Seriously, there's no good logos so far presented and the discussion continues... the Canucks have used half a dozen various uniforms and logos since there's not one good one.

Why can't a maple leaf be used? There's variations of Leaf logos out there and surely a design can be used that would be accepted. The Leafs don't have a veto on every and any leaf derivative that could be created.

Anyways, carry on...
Unlikely the NHL would ever approve any variation of a maple leaf as a primary logo.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:39 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Unlikely the NHL would ever approve any variation of a maple leaf as a primary logo.
That's your opinion.

Edit: Check this out:
Ranking the 30 logos (url won't show up here)

I agree with the site's rankings more or less...at least the last bunch... 22 to 30. Although, I disagree with the comments about the Canucks nickname. It's an excellent nick for a hockey team ... especially one in Canada. With such a nick established for so long, there's no reason they can't use a leaf.

If and really if... there's some sort of restriction or block, there doesn't seem to be too many alternatives but with teams with multiple 'big cat' logos, not sure why they couldn't utilize a leaf to some extent.

Last edited by pucky: 03-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old
03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:

Anyways, carry on...
Dude you really have to get this idea through your thick skull, Canuck fans in general do not want anything that remotely resembles the Toronto Maple Leaf logo. Any leaf will get compared to the Leaf logo and it would not be a popular choice.

As for your contention that the team doesn't have a good logo and or uniform, well there we will have to disagree. I like and always have liked the original logo and uniform the team came into the league with. Heck I really don't mind the updated stick and rink logo and uniforms they use now. The only thing I really am not fond of is the rabid Orca but you know what, I prefer it to any leaf type logo that you could ever come up with.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Dude you really have to get this idea through your thick skull, Canuck fans in general do not want anything that remotely resembles the Toronto Maple Leaf logo. Any leaf will get compared to the Leaf logo and it would not be a popular choice.

As for your contention that the team doesn't have a good logo and or uniform, well there we will have to disagree. I like and always have liked the original logo and uniform the team came into the league with. Heck I really don't mind the updated stick and rink logo and uniforms they use now. The only thing I really am not fond of is the rabid Orca but you know what, I prefer it to any leaf type logo that you could ever come up with.
There are some leaf logos with some other design that is just the upper half of the leaf with the rest of the logo. Such a logo would be compared to the Maple Leafs? You serious?!?

There's a few 'wild cat' logos although I think Nashville is reported to be changing theirs. Might be a new cat, though.

I think most Canuck fans are overly paranoid about that.

Anyway, okay, if you don't want a leaf one, there's not many other choices but the lumberjack and rink sucks.

I never minded the skate logo... kinda liked it... but, again, Nuck fans ultimately decided they didn't like that one either. Well, as the Nucks logo is often rated one of the lower ones in the League... I think my taste in logos is substantiated or justified in such case.

I think the fact that these various (current) logos are substandard is the reason why the Canucks have so many logo re-designs. I hope you can see the logic.

Old
03-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
There are some leaf logos with some other design that is just the upper half of the leaf with the rest of the logo. Such a logo would be compared to the Maple Leafs? You serious?!?

There's a few 'wild cat' logos although I think Nashville is reported to be changing theirs. Might be a new cat, though.

I think most Canuck fans are overly paranoid about that.

Anyway, okay, if you don't want a leaf one, there's not many other choices but the lumberjack and rink sucks.

I never minded the skate logo... kinda liked it... but, again, Nuck fans ultimately decided they didn't like that one either. Well, as the Nucks logo is often rated one of the lower ones in the League... I think my taste in logos is substantiated or justified in such case.

I think the fact that these logos is substandard is why the Canucks have so many logo re-designs. I hope you can see the logic.
MLSE is simply not going to allow it and the NHL will follow along.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:54 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
MLSE is simply not going to allow it and the NHL will follow along.
So other teams can 'copy' other logos but no one can have a leaf as part of their logo because of MLSE and the NHL is playing special favorites to the Leafs?

Surely, you jest.

How do you figure other teams can have wild cat logos after the Florida Pathers had theirs? The Minnesota Wild also incorporated a 'cat' in their logo (even though it's just subtle). So, the Florida Panthers never objected? Don't they want to be the only one with a wild cat as a logo?

I'm just saying it's difficult to come up with a decent logo with a nick like Canucks... I'm sure no one wants a beaver or goose for a Canucks logo but I thought some segment of a maple leaf would work but apparently MLSE has such a power on the League that only Wetcoaster knows about.

Old
03-06-2011, 05:07 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:

I agree with the site's rankings more or less...at least the last bunch... 22 to 30. Although, I disagree with the comments about the Canucks nickname. It's an excellent nick for a hockey team ... especially one in Canada. With such a nick established for so long, there's no reason they can't use a leaf.
How about because the Maple Leaf is really, strongly associated with a certain team that bears the same name AND because the Toronto Maple Leafs are not really well liked west of Mississauga.

Just because "Canuck" means Canadian doesn't mean the Canucks logo has to be a nationalistic symbol. Canadian / Canadienne also means Canadian, but they seem to do okay with a stylized CH where the "C" stands for "Club".

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
So other teams can 'copy' other logos but no one can have a leaf as part of their logo because of MLSE and the NHL is playing special favorites to the Leafs?

Surely, you jest.

How do you figure other teams can have wild cat logos after the Florida Pathers had theirs? The Minnesota Wild also incorporated a 'cat' in their logo (even though it's just subtle). So, the Florida Panthers never objected? Don't they want to be the only one with a wild cat as a logo?

I'm just saying it's difficult to come up with a decent logo with a nick like Canucks... I'm sure no one wants a beaver or goose for a Canucks logo but I thought some segment of a maple leaf would work but apparently MLSE has such a power on the League that only Wetcoaster knows about.
No jest.

If you think the NHL would allow a maple leaf logo to be used by the Canucks you are welcome to that opinion. IMHO the chance that the NHL would allow the Canucks to use a maple leaf logo are slim and none... and slim has left the building.

Old
03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
How about because the Maple Leaf is really, strongly associated with a certain team that bears the same name AND because the Toronto Maple Leafs are not really well liked west of Mississauga.

Just because "Canuck" means Canadian doesn't mean the Canucks logo has to be a nationalistic symbol. Canadian / Canadienne also means Canadian, but they seem to do okay with a stylized CH where the "C" stands for "Club".
Good point. My only response that I can think of, at the moment, is that (especially back then at the establishment of the franchise) is that Quebeckers wouldn't be too open to a maple leaf anywhere on the logo.

But, point taken. I was merely arguing on the permission argument but I will assume that the restrictions are two-fold: 1) not allowed and 2) desire to have a logo that has no resemblance or referral to the Leafs franchise which includes not wanting to involve any similarities or memories of.

I have other ideas though if you don't want a leaf. I just can't create them fast enough in paint, GIMP and Photoshop. LOL!

I can draw but that doesn't seem to be the method anymore, in this age.