HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Drew Doughty, the person. Not the player.

Old
03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
At what point is it ok to respect Drew's talent but realise that he's a classless jerk and an embarrasment to the Kings and hockey? Every damn game I have to see him throw a tantrum, curse at the camera, take a cheap shot when he gets a vendetta in his head, talk trash, showboat, and now dive. He checks mentally checks out of games. The kid has a couple screws loose. He begged for that dive call for his showing up the ref. The guy had to be detained and was litteraly chasing the ref who was running away. I knew he was going to get kicked out or do something worse.

I'm going to get raked over the coals for this thread but if was just an average talent everyone would hate this guy. The fans, the media, and I'm sure his teammates would not appreciate his act. This is not a knee jerk reaction. Everyone knows that I have been saying this since the playoffs last year.

I am embarrassed as a Kings fan. I am certain there will be some heat Drew is about to take. The guy is still one of my favorite Kings but I can't respect him as a person.
You're young. You don't remember what a whiny little ***** Yzerman and Gretzky were at the same age.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Worst ****ing thread ever..... no one here knows any of the players. To comment like they "think" they know how they are on and off the ice is a joke. You'd think it was August, given the point of some of these threads.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Bateman*

Not the worst thread ever. OP was loose with his language, but I think we all know what he's getting at. What the Kings are lacking in spades is emotion (and leadership, but that's another discussion), and it's awesome Doughty brings passion and emotion, but how he displayed it yesterday was weak.

Bateman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:31 PM
William H Bonney

I'm not worried.

I actually think this year will be great for his development. I just think he let the amazing year he had last year go to his head. Not unexpected given his age. He'll learn that it takes more than one great season to get preferential treatment from the referees. He'll learn that with every great season you need to work even harder that off-season to replicate those results the following season.

Sure, there's been more than one occasion where I've shaken my head watching Drew throw a hissy fit on the ice. There's a fine line between on-ice passion and a detrimental tantrum. He's young. He'll learn how to toe that line with time. If he's still having issues in 5 years I may be worried. But then again, if he's putting up seasons like he did last year in that span, I probably won't care.

03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
End the hate and dress your Firefox browser in the nice calm Drew Doughty persona that I created. Enjoy!

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
End the hate and dress your Firefox browser in the nice calm Drew Doughty persona that I created. Enjoy!

Totally stealing that bar for a signature

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
outofrange

This is absurd. I'm not ashamed but I do admit it gets tiring. Oh he shows too much emotion! Sometimes he acts his age! I'm ashamed that there is a thread created about this. 29 other teams would give up their first born to have him. We are so effin lucky that it's ridiculous.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
This is absurd. I'm not ashamed but I do admit it gets tiring. Oh he shows too much emotion! Sometimes he acts his age! I'm ashamed that there is a thread created about this. 29 other teams would give up their first born to have him. We are so effin lucky that it's ridiculous.
Who doesn't want him? That wasn't the purpose of the thread at all. It's to talk about his personality and his reflection on the team. Again, I wouldn't get rid of him for anything minus the big 5.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:56 PM
SLang

Sometimes as a kid in order to know where the boundaries are, you have to cross them. I did it, an so did every one of you. How many of you have no instances where you look back now and say "crap, I wish I hadn't done/said that"?

Doughty is a kid who needs to mature, and that's a process of learning from experience and guidance from those who have been there before. He'll get it, and I for one am damn happy we'll be watching him do so as a Los Angeles King.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Worst ****ing thread ever..... no one here knows any of the players. To comment like they "think" they know how they are on and off the ice is a joke. You'd think it was August, given the point of some of these threads.
Why did you quote the word think? How they are off the ice is irrelevent. I don't need to know what he is off the ice and I never claimed I did. What I do know is how they are on the ice in front of millions of people and how it reflects on our team.

Old
03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You're young. You don't remember what a whiny little ***** Yzerman and Gretzky were at the same age.
For the record, some of us ALWAYS thought "The Good One" was a whiny ***** and didn't want him anywhere near their team....

Last edited by PSP: 03-06-2011 at 11:09 PM.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:16 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Why did you quote the word think? How they are off the ice is irrelevent. I don't need to know what he is off the ice and I never claimed I did. What I do know is how they are on the ice in front of millions of people and how it reflects on our team.
On the ice he's a "player", off the ice he's a "person". It's your own fault if people assume you are talking about his off ice behavior. Poor wording on your part, something we're all guilty off sometimes.

I also don't think you believe he's a "classless jerk", I think you exaggerated to get more replies. "Disrespectful, arrogant man" seems more accurate to what you're saying.

Added to which, when creating this thread, you must've realized that out of almost all of the King's fans here, you were the most inappropriate one to make this thread. And by that I mean, most will assume that you're doing it because "your boy jack" (if I might say that ) is in direct competition with him.

Oddly enough, I think that "as a person" JJ has shown himself to fit the terms you applied to DD ("classless jerk"). I find that kind of funny

All that aside, I agree with what you are saying. He needs to tone it down and it does reflect poorly on the Kings at times. Though I won't fault him for diving, that's just the game.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post

Were you wearing your Doughty jersey when you wrote that?

Noname, I think you are missing that Doughty is a very young kid. I agree that some of the stuff that he does is lame, like yelling "I'll kill you" at Taylor Hall, but at least he never had his remote control car stolen from him by a guy in VW bus.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:49 AM
The Butcher
**** your team

As a fellow hot-head, I can relate. Usually when Drew's screaming at the ref I'm screaming at my TV. Who am I to judge? I get sent to the box all the time for talking too much trash to the idiot refs in my adult league. It just dawned on me that you probably wouldn't like me that much as a person either lol!

No man, I get your point but embarassed? Wear your colors proud and true my friend. Drew Doughty is our most precious ally. This kid is the real deal. I don't need the boys to be role models, I need them to bring me and all of you a Stanley Cup. If you've ever been around a bunch of hockey players you know the best guys usually get to do and say what they want, at ANY level.

Go Kings Go!

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:02 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I like it. It's just the type of player Drew is. Do you see Kobe Bryant whining to the refs all the time? Of course you do! He's a super competitive player. I'm not saying that if you don't whine you're not, but just look at Drew. He's one of the most fiery and competitive players in the NHL. When things are going bad, he's the most pissed off. When the Kings score or win, he has a huge smile on his face. He kisses Quick after every win. I do agree he has to work on not being such a whiny b!tch, but he has the attitude and competitiveness the great ones have, without all the gloating. I'm happy to have him.

TwoForRoughing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:44 AM
kingchuckb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I like it. It's just the type of player Drew is. Do you see Kobe Bryant whining to the refs all the time? Of course you do! He's a super competitive player. I'm not saying that if you don't whine you're not, but just look at Drew. He's one of the most fiery and competitive players in the NHL. When things are going bad, he's the most pissed off. When the Kings score or win, he has a huge smile on his face. He kisses Quick after every win. I do agree he has to work on not being such a whiny b!tch, but he has the attitude and competitiveness the great ones have, without all the gloating. I'm happy to have him.
exactly what i said earlier in this thread- i'm glad someone else draws parallels to Kobe
I think it's a good thing Drew has fire, he will learn to focus it better. Also, something i noticed about this thread is- how does his on ice actions say anything about him as a person? All it does is tell you about Drew Doughty as a player, his level of compete, his passion, and namely his youth. On the court/ice and off the court/ice are totally different.

Just to use another example to Kobe- he's friends with Melo+Wade+Lebron, but on the court? not so much.... Point is- can't judge what they do on the court as an indication of a player's personality. (I also like the Ron Artest example used earlier)

kingchuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
For the record, some of us ALWAYS thought "The Good One" was a whiny ***** and didn't want him anywhere near their team....
QFT!!!

Once upon a time, there was a blonde princess that lived in Edmonton then LA. He cried a lot. Then came along the black hair princess, he lived in Pittsburg. He cried more AND louder. He tore the blonde princess's crown of tears right off her....errrr....his head. They both took it in the pooper then retired. The End.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
At what point is it ok to respect Drew's talent but realise that he's a classless jerk and an embarrasment to the Kings and hockey? Every damn game I have to see him throw a tantrum, curse at the camera, take a cheap shot when he gets a vendetta in his head, talk trash, showboat, and now dive. He checks mentally checks out of games. The kid has a couple screws loose. He begged for that dive call for his showing up the ref. The guy had to be detained and was litteraly chasing the ref who was running away. I knew he was going to get kicked out or do something worse.

I'm going to get raked over the coals for this thread but if was just an average talent everyone would hate this guy. The fans, the media, and I'm sure his teammates would not appreciate his act. This is not a knee jerk reaction. Everyone knows that I have been saying this since the playoffs last year.

I am embarrassed as a Kings fan. I am certain there will be some heat Drew is about to take. The guy is still one of my favorite Kings but I can't respect him as a person.
Being embarrassed and a Kings fan pretty much go hand and hand.
He's still a kid and how were you at 21? Drew will settle in and when he retires as a King he will have his Jersey on the rafters right next to a couple of Stanley Cup Banners.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
On the ice he's a "player", off the ice he's a "person". It's your own fault if people assume you are talking about his off ice behavior. Poor wording on your part, something we're all guilty off sometimes.

I also don't think you believe he's a "classless jerk", I think you exaggerated to get more replies. "Disrespectful, arrogant man" seems more accurate to what you're saying.

Added to which, when creating this thread, you must've realized that out of almost all of the King's fans here, you were the most inappropriate one to make this thread. And by that I mean, most will assume that you're doing it because "your boy jack" (if I might say that ) is in direct competition with him.

Oddly enough, I think that "as a person" JJ has shown himself to fit the terms you applied to DD ("classless jerk"). I find that kind of funny

All that aside, I agree with what you are saying. He needs to tone it down and it does reflect poorly on the Kings at times. Though I won't fault him for diving, that's just the game.
All the extra stuff after the whistle that no other players do is directly related to the person. Players play a game just like people do a job. What they do and the way they act along the way shows them as a person.

Please don't make this a Jack Johnson versus DD debate. I like them both as players. The difference is slim. I just rarely have had to campaign for Drew like I have had to for Jack because Drew came in and did all of the right things.

They are not in direct competition with eachother. They both have their roles and are both highly productive young players. What one does has little relation to the next.

For you to say that Jack is a classless jerk is rediculous. The guy is a team leader, everyone loves him, he is a constant professional, talks to the fans and waves to kids during the game and gave up money to help his team out.

If cursing every game on camera, throwing hissy fits, telling someone they will kill them, etc is not both classless and a jerk thing to do then I will retract my classless jerk comment.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Totally stealing that bar for a signature
Well, it's not really stealing if I offered it under the Creative Commons license. However, under the conditions of the license you must attribute the work to me in a manner that I specify. Therefore, you need to put "All hail the mighty Skebo!" in your signature as well

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
My biggest concern with Doughty is his off ice habits. I'd love to see what Drew could do after a summer with Gary Roberts.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
My biggest concern with Doughty is his off ice habits. I'd love to see what Drew could do after a summer with Gary Roberts.

Would be nice.

One more quote from Hammond:

"MURRAY: No, hes been really good with that, I think. I know he got a little intense there at the end, because of the way it all unfolded, but overall hes been a real high-class guy with the officiating, on the ice and on the bench. Never had an issue with it before."

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
As a fellow hot-head, I can relate. Usually when Drew's screaming at the ref I'm screaming at my TV. Who am I to judge? I get sent to the box all the time for talking too much trash to the idiot refs in my adult league. It just dawned on me that you probably wouldn't like me that much as a person either lol!

No man, I get your point but embarassed? Wear your colors proud and true my friend. Drew Doughty is our most precious ally. This kid is the real deal. I don't need the boys to be role models, I need them to bring me and all of you a Stanley Cup. If you've ever been around a bunch of hockey players you know the best guys usually get to do and say what they want, at ANY level.

Go Kings Go!
You're like the kid I used to defend on the ice 10 years ago, and then I soon as we would get back to the bench I would tell him to shut the hell up out there.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I like it. It's just the type of player Drew is. Do you see Kobe Bryant whining to the refs all the time? Of course you do! He's a super competitive player. .
wait, so you're actually saying that bball players whining after every play is not only acceptable, but to be praised? am i the only one who cant bear watching NBA games anymore because of all the bratiness?

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Shellz

This thing is getting blown out of the water. Way overboard.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote