HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards

Old
03-05-2011, 08:59 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
You mean if Pegula had already been here we would've give Drury 7 million ?
If I had to choose, I would have kept Briere over Drury. But, I believe that with the right moves, we could have signed them both for less than they took elsewhere. 5 years, $5 or $6 million cap hit each, and I think we would have been much better off the last few years.

Quote:
Maybe it's because i wasn't following the Sabres back then, but i still don't get why so many fans want Drury back. Maybe he was a good player and captain in Buffalo, but he wasn't worth the money he got from New York and i don't think he would've signed at a severe discount like 5,5 or 6 million to stay in Buffalo. Just imagine another underperforming offensive player getting Vanek-money .
I understand that point of view, and I don't particularly want Drury back if there are better options, certainly not as his full current salary. But if he could function as a 3rd line center, for a reasonable price ($1.5? $2?), then I think we could definitely use his services.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
If I had to choose, I would have kept Briere over Drury. But, I believe that with the right moves, we could have signed them both for less than they took elsewhere. 5 years, $5 or $6 million cap hit each, and I think we would have been much better off the last few years.
Yeah, Briere ist a totally different thing, i do understand that people were pissed that we let him walk. I almost certainly would've made this team better the last few years. I'm just not sure about Drury and i doubt that he would've signed for 6 million or less.

Quote:
I understand that point of view, and I don't particularly want Drury back if there are better options, certainly not as his full current salary. But if he could function as a 3rd line center, for a reasonable price ($1.5? $2?), then I think we could definitely use his services.
3rd line center for 2 million, sure, i wouldn't be opposed to that. As long as we don't touch his current contract and don't complain about Regier not giving him the same money, i'm fine.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 10:59 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
How does every free agent go back to briere/drury?

4 years ago. Tis over.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:25 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
You mean if Pegula had already been here we would've give Drury 7 million ?
Maybe it's because i wasn't following the Sabres back then, but i still don't get why so many fans want Drury back. Maybe he was a good player and captain in Buffalo, but he wasn't worth the money he got from New York and i don't think he would've signed at a severe discount like 5,5 or 6 million to stay in Buffalo. Just imagine another underperforming offensive player getting Vanek-money .

But i think that whole discussion is a bit off-topic. About Richards: I don't see any chance we get him, if we don't severely overpay (something around 8 million, which will never happen). I would love him here, but it won't happen, getting a Top-Line-Center via Trade is more likely.
I believe he was willing to take a 5 year $25 mil year deal, and that the team had talks with him earlier in the season about that deal. Then for whatever reason they stopped talks, and then when the summer rolled around and he saw how they had treated Briere as almost an after thought he walked. Say what you want about him wanting to play for the Rags, but I believe if the team had approached him and Briere earlier in the season, and had offered both 5 year deals at $5-6 mil per year both would have stayed.

They had a problem with how the team was treating them, and they felt that the team wasn't fully committed to putting a winning team together. The fact that both were not yet resigned before the deadline that year shows how much of a travisty the team's negotiation policies used to be. Both should have been locked up by the deadline at the latest, and Vanek should have been as well to avoid the having something like the Oilers' offersheet leave us with a bad contract. I'm not even gonna go into why they were important and should have been resigned early because everyone knows the reasons. Also Drury would most likely not have had the struggles he had in NY if he had stayed here.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Sabretip

Granted, it's Garrioch reporting but if this is true, I can't see Pegula or Regier going after Richards - especially for a 30-year old player:

Quote:
The Dallas Stars centre didn’t want to be dealt to any other team but the Rangers before the deadline, and although he was willing to waive his no-movement clause to go to Manhattan, the two sides couldn’t find a fit.

While Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk tried to sign Richards to a contract extension before the trade deadline, the two sides couldn’t agree on the length of the deal and never really got around to discussing money.

League sources say the Stars offered Richards a “fair market” contract, but it’s believed he and agent Pat Morris wanted a deal closer in the seven- to 10-year range.
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../17507741.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Granted, it's Garrioch reporting but if this is true, I can't see Pegula or Regier going after Richards - especially for a 30-year old player:

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../17507741.html
The only way Buffalo has even a puncher's chance in the Richards Sweepstakes is if they pay through the nose and give him an offer that's difficult to refuse. I think such an offer would likely have to include a term of eight years at the minimum. If you want Richards, you're probably going to have to make an offer of 8yr/$60m. He's not coming here for 6/$42m, or less.

Year 1: $10m
Year 2: $10m
Year 3: $10m
Year 4: $9m
Year 5: $9m
Year 6: $8m
Year 7: $3m
Year 8: $1m

I think it's the only way Buffalo has a chance. I still don't think their chances are very good.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The only way Buffalo has even a puncher's chance in the Richards Sweepstakes is if they pay through the nose and give him an offer that's difficult to refuse. I think such an offer would likely have to include a term of eight years at the minimum. If you want Richards, you're probably going to have to make an offer of 8yr/$60m. He's not coming here for 6/$42m, or less.

I think it's the only way Buffalo has a chance. I still don't think their chances are very good.
You're probably right - I think the Pegula factor may make dollars a non-issue but I don't think the change in ownership will have changed Regier's philosophy about long-term contracts for older players. He's always been very outspoken and critical of other teams that hand them out in free agency only to then have to eat/buy out the balance of the contract when the player's skills erode. As great as Richards would be at the onset, I doubt Regier wants to be stuck with a huge cap hit for a 38-year old Richards producing 30-40 points or so in 2019.

Then again, if Pegula's 3-year timetable for winning is a hard goal to work towards, maybe they throw all caution to the wind by forgetting long-term risks for short-term rewards.

Old
03-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
You're probably right - I think the Pegula factor may make dollars a non-issue but I don't think the change in ownership will have changed Regier's philosophy about long-term contracts for older players. He's always been very outspoken and critical of other teams that hand them out in free agency only to then have to eat/buy out the balance of the contract when the player's skills erode. As great as Richards would be at the onset, I doubt Regier wants to be stuck with a huge cap hit for a 38-year old Richards producing 30-40 points or so in 2019.

Then again, if Pegula's 3-year timetable for winning is a hard goal to work towards, maybe they throw all caution to the wind by forgetting long-term risks for short-term rewards.
Do we know for a fact that Darcy will be here at year end? I haven't heard anything with a gurantee that he will be. That being said.... you are probably 100% right whether he is or not.

Mike McDermott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets View Post
Do we know for a fact that Darcy will be here at year end? I haven't heard anything with a gurantee that he will be. That being said.... you are probably 100% right whether he is or not.
"Darcy ain't going nowhere"

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Zip15

Quote:

I think if Regier is told to get into the bidding, he will. He's clearly a loyal guy who does what he's told even when it may be detrimental to the team--that's not to say that signing Richards will be detrimental to the team over the long haul. I think Pegula will be in the bidding for Richards. He's made a bold statement by saying that the team should win a Cup within three years, and I'm sure both he and Regier are aware that there won't be too many players hitting UFA in the coming years that are a) of Richards' ilk, b) that play a position of such desperate need, and c) are anywhere near as accomplished in the postseason as Richards is. Those players usually get locked up long-term by their teams.

Pegula was in the room leading up to the trade deadline, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's sitting right next to Regier on July 1 as offers are being thrown around. Buffalo can match or exceed any offer that Richards receives, and there's some hope that Pegula does exactly that. The question will become whether the Sabres can do enough down the stretch, in the postseason, and pre-July 1 to prove to Richards that Buffalo is the city he wants to live and play in for what will likely be the remainder of his career. I say give him the 8/$60m offer that I laid out above. Richards gets the term and money he wants, and the team covers themselves on the back end of the deal if he's declining and they want to buy him out.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Jagemon

Like tradeboard suggested:
Thornton? Aging, yes but only 3 years remaining @7mil.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
aceface33

Quote:

I don't think the long term contract thing is as much of an issue if Pegula is willing to buy Richards out a few years down the line or stash his contract in Portland.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

I was going to post something similar

10 years/ 65 million

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
Like tradeboard suggested:
Thornton? Aging, yes but only 3 years remaining @7mil.
...and will cost significant assets to acquire, in addition to his contract. On the other hand, Richards only costs money. Thornton should be no more than a farfetched contingency plan.

Old
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

No one is giving Richards a 10 year / $65 million deal, are they? That just seems so over the top.

Even 8/60 seems high. If we could do 6 years/42, it'd be an absolute steal. Heck, I'd take 7/49. The last couple years would probably be painful, depending on the cap situation.

Old
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
"Darcy ain't going nowhere"
Where's that from? At the big press conference Pegula said that about Lindy, but I don't think he's said anything quite as unambiguous about Darcy.

Old
03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Where's that from? At the big press conference Pegula said that about Lindy, but I don't think he's said anything quite as unambiguous about Darcy.
He did in another interview. I don't remember who it was with.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I heard that, as well. It was either the Editorial Board meeting or the WGR interview. And he used those same words.

Old
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Digable5

Quote:
I heard that, as well. It was either the Editorial Board meeting or the WGR interview. And he used those same words.
It was the Editorial Board of TBN interview.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Zip15

Quote:
No one is giving Richards a 10 year / $65 million deal, are they? That just seems so over the top.

Even 8/60 seems high. If we could do 6 years/42, it'd be an absolute steal. Heck, I'd take 7/49. The last couple years would probably be painful, depending on the cap situation.
I think it's the best possible offer we can make within the realm of reasonableness and still give ourselves a chance to get him. Unfortunately, you have to overpay a little bit to get players in Buffalo right now, at least until Pegula demonstrates his financial commitment to winning and they establish a better track record with players. I don't think we beat out the Rangers or Leafs with those shorter offers. Richards would have a reasonable cap hit (7.5), a front-loaded deal that guarantees him big bucks for the first several years of the deal, and Buffalo has the out on the back end by making a buyout reasonable after six years if it comes to that.

Pegula wants a Cup within three years. There's no better player that will be available in coming summers that will help us establish such a short-term goal. We all say that we'd love to have cap issues if it means we'll win a Cup. We have an owner who's not in it to profit or break even, and who has the financial means to deal with a buyout down the road, if necessary. Embrace that and make a big effort.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
I think it's the best possible offer we can make within the realm of reasonableness and still give ourselves a chance to get him. Unfortunately, you have to overpay a little bit to get players in Buffalo right now, at least until Pegula demonstrates his financial commitment to winning and they establish a better track record with players. I don't think we beat out the Rangers or Leafs with those shorter offers. Richards would have a reasonable cap hit (7.5), a front-loaded deal that guarantees him big bucks for the first several years of the deal, and Buffalo has the out on the back end by making a buyout reasonable after six years if it comes to that.

Pegula wants a Cup within three years. There's no better player that will be available in coming summers that will help us establish such a short-term goal. We all say that we'd love to have cap issues if it means we'll win a Cup. We have an owner who's not in it to profit or break even, and who has the financial means to deal with a buyout down the road, if necessary. Embrace that and make a big effort.
Fair enough - I think Richards is pretty much exactly what this team needs, and as much as it might hurt for the last few years, if it gets us on the right path to winning a Cup - I'd be absolutely thrilled to see us land a player of that stature, and it would send a pretty damn clear message that we're in it to win it.

If it means we have to move out some of the core to make it work, so be it.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
It was the Editorial Board of TBN interview.
Thanks guys. I'll have to try and go back and review that one for some context.

Obviously my opinion of Darcy isn't a secret, but if Pegula wants to give him a shot to see what he has, I can understand that perspective. Who knows, maybe he'll serve me some crow.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:

We could also buy him out or waive him when he loses his touch.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
I think if Regier is told to get into the bidding, he will. He's clearly a loyal guy who does what he's told even when it may be detrimental to the team--that's not to say that signing Richards will be detrimental to the team over the long haul.
Maybe so - but Pegula has said he's going to let Regier have freedom to make decisions on his own. If Regier has a philosophical stance on something (i.e. long-term deals for older players) that he is adamant about, I don't see him just caving because he was told to - especially since Pegula seems inclined to give him more of the benefit of the doubt that Quinn did.

Quote:
I think Pegula will be in the bidding for Richards. He's made a bold statement by saying that the team should win a Cup within three years, and I'm sure both he and Regier are aware that there won't be too many players hitting UFA in the coming years that are a) of Richards' ilk, b) that play a position of such desperate need, and c) are anywhere near as accomplished in the postseason as Richards is. Those players usually get locked up long-term by their teams.
Not to be overlooked in all of that is Regier's admission that, although Pegula is new to the whole ownership-of-a-franchise experience, he is knowledgable about a lot of the teams and players around the league. He surely knows enough about Richards from his Tampa playoff success and scoring binges in Dallas.

Quote:
Pegula was in the room leading up to the trade deadline, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's sitting right next to Regier on July 1 as offers are being thrown around. Buffalo can match or exceed any offer that Richards receives, and there's some hope that Pegula does exactly that. The question will become whether the Sabres can do enough down the stretch, in the postseason, and pre-July 1 to prove to Richards that Buffalo is the city he wants to live and play in for what will likely be the remainder of his career. I say give him the 8/$60m offer that I laid out above. Richards gets the term and money he wants, and the team covers themselves on the back end of the deal if he's declining and they want to buy him out.
I think that's almost a guarantee - unlike the trading deadline, free agency is all about finding a comfort level with the salary and terms of a contract. I don't know if every owner in the NHL attends sessions with their GMs but I suspect most are in touch with their GMs just to OK what budget for free agents is given.

What I'm hoping with Pegula is his candid, family-oriented/loyalty M.O. will come across as strong selling points - and that he won't be afraid to speak to any potential free agents that Regier recommends pursuing. That might help counter any negative perceptions that Richards or other free agents have about the city of Buffalo.