HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The problem lately....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
  #1
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
The problem lately....

among other things, I notice is our breakouts of out our zone. The defense look slow to make decisions and it seems teams are forechecking hard before we can make a pass. The wingers seem to be out of position everytime, I notice when teams gain possesion of the puck their d-men are wide open with our winger skating in space, then chasing the puck. Our forwards havent had a chance to gain the zone and forecheck because our breakout is terrible

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:11 PM
  #2
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
among other things, I notice is our breakouts of out our zone. The defense look slow to make decisions and it seems teams are forechecking hard before we can make a pass. The wingers seem to be out of position everytime, I notice when teams gain possesion of the puck their d-men are wide open with our winger skating in space, then chasing the puck. Our forwards havent had a chance to gain the zone and forecheck because our breakout is terrible
That's on the coaches to sort out. Everyone's seen the film so many times, if your breakouts are predictable it is easy to stop them.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
  #3
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS
 
PhillyFlying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
our forwards are trying to get cute. they need to follow the old cliche and get back to the basics. fast.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:45 AM
  #4
Intentional Icing
why you little!
 
Intentional Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 215
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
i noticed this a lot during todays game. our forwards are trying to make a play by themselves. take for instance the play by versteeg or leino that lead to two goals for the rangers. the chemistry between the players seem to be dwindling.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:29 AM
  #5
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Maybe you should forward this topic to Laviolette then.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:16 AM
  #6
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,474
vCash: 500
It's premature to panic, and that is exactly what the board is doing. There are like 5 topics right now on who is to blame, what is wrong, how to fix it etc.

IMO it is nothing to be worried about just yet. While the players and coaches will be working on a solution to this situation, we as fans shouldnt start to panic for at least another couple games.

They arent matching the intensity level of the teams fighting for a playoff spot, and by looking back at the games they have struggled in the last 2 weeks it is teams sitting 7-11 in the standings (aside from Isles).

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:42 AM
  #7
MiD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
It's premature to panic, and that is exactly what the board is doing. There are like 5 topics right now on who is to blame, what is wrong, how to fix it etc.

IMO it is nothing to be worried about just yet. While the players and coaches will be working on a solution to this situation, we as fans shouldnt start to panic for at least another couple games.

They arent matching the intensity level of the teams fighting for a playoff spot, and by looking back at the games they have struggled in the last 2 weeks it is teams sitting 7-11 in the standings (aside from Isles).
last 5 weeks they are 7-7-1, few W could be easily L, it's about time to match intesity of teams fighting for playoffs...

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:12 AM
  #8
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Team is playing like a bunch of individuals and not as a unit at even strength and on the PP.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:04 AM
  #9
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
I noticed this alot lat night. Our defense was just firing it up the boards, but our wingers were never there to get it.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:45 AM
  #10
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I noticed this alot lat night. Our defense was just firing it up the boards, but our wingers were never there to get it.
THis is a major problem, its not even the breakout system that is failing, its the postion of the wingers, I mean you learn in novice hockey that you have to cover the points, and if a puck comes up the boards you better damn well make a pass out of the zone, at the very least chip it out, and everytime our dmen throw it up the boards our wingers are floating, and then end up chasing the puck

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
  #11
clockwise
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I noticed this alot lat night. Our defense was just firing it up the boards, but our wingers were never there to get it.
Noticing this on the PP as well when we dump and chase.

In some sense I feel this team thinks it can out skill teams instead of out working them. Instead of shooting to get a faceoff and a better chance, or shooting for a rebound they're over passing, especially on the power play. Giroux is being given a wide berth along the wall when they setup because his shot is isn't respected, or other teams don't think he will shoot, he has to let it go or one time that thing.


Last edited by clockwise: 03-07-2011 at 11:57 AM.
clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
  #12
Brophy
Registered User
 
Brophy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
to much floating, not enough skating. moving quicker will do wonders.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:05 PM
  #13
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
homer told the press today that the reason for the poor play has been the breakout out of our zone

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
  #14
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
homer told the press today that the reason for the poor play has been the breakout out of our zone
He then followed with the amazing revelation that the earth revolves around the sun.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
  #15
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
homer told the press today that the reason for the poor play has been the breakout out of our zone
And then, for the reporters' sakes, he clarified that by "the breakout" he meant "Pronger's," by "our zone" he meant "Richards," and by "out of our" he meant "relationship with"....You know, just to give the media a head start.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:40 AM
  #16
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
And then, for the reporters' sakes, he clarified that by "the breakout" he meant "Pronger's," by "our zone" he meant "Richards," and by "out of our" he meant "relationship with"....You know, just to give the media a head start.
Very nice, but somehow you have to include a whiff of 'Blame Zherdev' too...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.