HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
i don't claim to know much about the inside workings at STU, but it would serve them better in the long term to get the Best Coach they can find, not necessarily the guy that appeases the Alumni. If memory serves me, the Alumni were instrumental in the axing of Derryl Smith and the hiring of Eags.
I don't know much about Bissonette but I do know that this is a tough league to coach in without the prerequites. Just ask Brad Crossley how his one year at Dal went.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
STUpid

The alumni and support group will get behind a coach that builds a winner. If they don't, then time to stop calling themselves supporters.

Old
03-06-2011, 11:50 AM
cookiecutter

I think someone said that the STU program will not be one to compete with UNB, but rather a competitive team. If that is the bar that is to be set, then hire a local guy and set it up like the women's team. Do a lot of team building, ride the middle of the pack and keep the players happy.

Old
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
gulag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulag View Post
bizz does not have the background needed for this job.i think they would be short changing themselves.besides he would have to take out his earrings...lol
i take that back.if he is the most competent guy who applies he should get the job.all i am saying is there will be a lot of people applying for this job.

Old
03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
gleanerguy

Just posted this on the anti-Eagles thread on this board in response to a cookiecutter comment...maybe it fits better here...

You're right...I did say all that. It's a matter of living within your means. If you use UNB as a model, they have a full time head coach, full time assistant, a full time marketing guy and an army of volunteers/supporters and cling ons who help make that program what it is. STU doesn't have that kind of budget or those kind of resources...at least not now. Perhaps in time, when the program gets back to being competitive every night, you see where you are and reassess. But the next set of screams would be how much it costs to run the hockey program at a school where student enrollment is (and I'm quoting from the front of the STU women's hockey program here), 924 male students and 1,624 female.

Note too, that went rantfather advocated christening Bissonnette automatically, I suggested you do yourself a disservice by limiting your options. They ARE advertising the position. At the same time, don't penalize a guy who wants the job after playing five years for the school and being grateful and open about the institution making him the man and the person he has become. There will be a host of outstanding candidates apply for the position, but at the same time, you could do a whole lot worse than hiring Eric Bissonnette.

Old
03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Just posted this on the anti-Eagles thread on this board in response to a cookiecutter comment...maybe it fits better here...

You're right...I did say all that. It's a matter of living within your means. If you use UNB as a model, they have a full time head coach, full time assistant, a full time marketing guy and an army of volunteers/supporters and cling ons who help make that program what it is. STU doesn't have that kind of budget or those kind of resources...at least not now. Perhaps in time, when the program gets back to being competitive every night, you see where you are and reassess. But the next set of screams would be how much it costs to run the hockey program at a school where student enrollment is (and I'm quoting from the front of the STU women's hockey program here), 924 male students and 1,624 female.

Note too, that went rantfather advocated christening Bissonnette automatically, I suggested you do yourself a disservice by limiting your options. They ARE advertising the position. At the same time, don't penalize a guy who wants the job after playing five years for the school and being grateful and open about the institution making him the man and the person he has become. There will be a host of outstanding candidates apply for the position, but at the same time, you could do a whole lot worse than hiring Eric Bissonnette.
gleaner guy,

Commenting on anything that cookie cutter writes is a complete waste of time. She wants the best for STU but complains about the money it will take when everyone else is doing the same thing. She is all about cheering on STU but mocks us about our pride in the University. Let her talk to herself all she wants, the only one that takes her ranting seriously is Foyle. Huh, maybe we have a love match??? (Sorry Foyle, I'm not trying to make your cat jealous but there is potential.) PM amongst yourselves.

Old
03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
gleaner guy,

Commenting on anything that cookie cutter writes is a complete waste of time. She wants the best for STU but complains about the money it will take when everyone else is doing the same thing. She is all about cheering on STU but mocks us about our pride in the University. Let her talk to herself all she wants, the only one that takes her ranting seriously is Foyle. Huh, maybe we have a love match??? (Sorry Foyle, I'm not trying to make your cat jealous but there is potential.) PM amongst yourselves.
Actually I am advocating for a full time coach for both programs and for a full time assistant for the mens. Why, you ask, do I complain about money? All I have ever said was countering lies from people who don't have facts. I said.....STU has luck recruiting females from Europe and out west because of the academic scholarships we have to award. Someone said that was a lie. Perhaps Gleanerguy can prove me wrong.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:01 PM
cookiecutter

Also, I once said we should be happy to be a middle of the pack team representing a small market school. I also said that we we spending 1.5 million on the new rink. I also said that perhaps full time staff could move us to the next level and that might be a good/better use of the money. All valid, all true.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Actually I am advocating for a full time coach for both programs and for a full time assistant for the mens. Why, you ask, do I complain about money? All I have ever said was countering lies from people who don't have facts. I said.....STU has luck recruiting females from Europe and out west because of the academic scholarships we have to award. Someone said that was a lie. Perhaps Gleanerguy can prove me wrong.
You are advocating at this point in time but if it ever happened (it won't) you would start to complain about how much it cost. Then go on some spiel about how Coach Murphy brings in European players and western kids while ignoring that ST-FX is loaded with kids from Ontario and out west. You would ignore UNB's huge spending habits and point out that STU is going to INVEST in a hockey arena, complain about it, then pretend like you are concerned. You would have us believe that you are a great STU supporter and then say something like "counter or drive through". It is a free country and a free board but most of us are not buying what you are trying to sell chicky poo.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:46 PM
STUpid

Quote:

I don't understand why the bar can't be set to UNB's level, because UNB doesn't spend more money than anybody else. They don't have the budget for men's hockey. They are fortunate to have independently wealthy individuals who choose to serve a higher calling as assistant coaches, trainers, marketers etc. It's only through the brilliance of Gardiner MacDougall and the blessing of Almighty God that they are as successful as they are. This is true because Foyle has told us so many times.

Old
03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
You are advocating at this point in time but if it ever happened (it won't) you would start to complain about how much it cost. Then go on some spiel about how Coach Murphy brings in European players and western kids while ignoring that ST-FX is loaded with kids from Ontario and out west. You would ignore UNB's huge spending habits and point out that STU is going to INVEST in a hockey arena, complain about it, then pretend like you are concerned. You would have us believe that you are a great STU supporter and then say something like "counter or drive through". It is a free country and a free board but most of us are not buying what you are trying to sell chicky poo.
Chickie poo?? Wow do you ever have little man syndrome! Again you quote me incorrectly...I said also St FX and Saint Marys recruit with money that other schools don"t have. So girly man poo quote correctly or zip it. I simply commented that STU has money to attract Girls that most others cannot attract. It has nothing to do with coach Murray. Prior to the influx of money we we 0 and 20 in the girls game. and i am not saying take it away...I am saying go full out in hockey. Full time coaches

Old
03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
cookiecutter

Facts STU has moneyto recruit female players that other schools cannot afford. same with X and SMU...I said that. Why not a full time coach to go to the next level...keep coach Murray, just make him full time. Get to top of league!
fact: STU is spending 1.5 mil on the new rink with plans to play middle of the pack hockey. Why not go extra mile and pay full time coach and assist. coach? Get to top of league!
Fact; No squirrels allowed has little man syndrome. He misquotes, half quotes, and has nothing to offer. Will you please leave me alone or back up some of your misquotes with the real things I have said that are wrong, been proven wrong, or you can show are wrong. You cannot do that!

Old
03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
gleanerguy

Not gonna happen. Believe McGill is the only university in the country with that setup and it took a couple of million dollar bequests for that to happen. You'll have to find some other sandbox, or soap box, CC.

Old
03-06-2011, 10:45 PM
The Dangla

Gleaner Guy....

Who are in your eyes the legit guys to take over...

Heres the deal...

STU needs a young guy who can recruit and work under Mike in a professional relationship, Mike knows that as he has played the game at the highest level but they need a guy who can work all of the major junior circuts and semi pro.

They also need some who is not attached as that would be a good call as the attachement to the current team would hurt the new guy.

I'm glad they are opening it up but come on and look at the big picture, there are a lot of guys who would fit and a bad season in CIS or NCAA can be turned around in 3 months, let us know.

Old
03-06-2011, 11:20 PM
gleanerguy

Have no idea who's out there. so it's difficult to say. I don't think being familiar with STU, the school, the city and the calibre of play in the league is a bad thing...being familiar with the product your selling and the calibre of the league you're coming into will certainly help in the recruiting process.
I think the turnaround is longer than three months in STU's case...you have to replace eight veterans and perhaps more if guys don't come back...half a hockey team. I think Bissonnette will get serious consideration, like it or not. He's a level 4, has worked to improve himself and as he said, he has a story to sell...he's a living, breathing example of what the STU hockey program can do for a kid.
I think Pat Powers will be considered...assistant coach at Western, has some head coaching experience, knows the lay of the land at STU and has worked under Clarke Singer in developing a winning program.
Somebody pointed to Seamus Gregory at Lake Forest University, near Chicago...head coach and recruiter there. And there will be others who will surface whose names and backgrounds we don't know.
I think they did a good job putting together a panel who have some familiarity with St. Thomas...guys like Al MacAdam, Eric Crawford and Garth Joy would have a vast network of names of coaches who they might see as a good fit in Fredericton and at St. Thomas. I look forward to seeing how it will play out.

Old
03-08-2011, 06:23 AM
cookiecutter

I believe that when Smith took over the tommies, he went with new look uniforms and marketed an entire new product. I think it will take a new hype to generate a fan base. I think new digs will generate some fans, but players need the building behind them. Hopefully there will be some promotional offerings to generate a new group of fans. It is not the corporate dollars that fill the rink, no is it the student population. If you go to UNB games the stands are full of adults. I think UNB has pushed the ticket value to the max for regular season games and STU will need to under sell a 12 dollar ticket to build a solid base. It will be a fine line promo that begins the process.

Old
03-08-2011, 06:31 AM
cookiecutter

I don't think the average fans cares who the coach is. They just want to see a good hockey game and relate to the players. A lot of people did not like Nick Thereault when he played here. I did. He was a local kid who played hard and was the tough guy who kept the other team honest. He could also play a game of shins and never lose his temper. I could relate to him as a community guy. Players need to come to the team from recruitville, but make this their home for a few years and win the loyalty by hard work on and off the ice. Community involvement is a key.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
cookiecutter

In my earlier post; by promotional offerings I was thinking of a free season pass for cookiecutter and a booth where No Squirrels Allowed can purchace a new personality and a two track mind. I'll pay for his and claim them on my income tax as charitable contributions or community service.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Have no idea who's out there. so it's difficult to say. I don't think being familiar with STU, the school, the city and the calibre of play in the league is a bad thing...being familiar with the product your selling and the calibre of the league you're coming into will certainly help in the recruiting process.
I think the turnaround is longer than three months in STU's case...you have to replace eight veterans and perhaps more if guys don't come back...half a hockey team. I think Bissonnette will get serious consideration, like it or not. He's a level 4, has worked to improve himself and as he said, he has a story to sell...he's a living, breathing example of what the STU hockey program can do for a kid.
I think Pat Powers will be considered...assistant coach at Western, has some head coaching experience, knows the lay of the land at STU and has worked under Clarke Singer in developing a winning program.
Somebody pointed to Seamus Gregory at Lake Forest University, near Chicago...head coach and recruiter there. And there will be others who will surface whose names and backgrounds we don't know.
I think they did a good job putting together a panel who have some familiarity with St. Thomas...guys like Al MacAdam, Eric Crawford and Garth Joy would have a vast network of names of coaches who they might see as a good fit in Fredericton and at St. Thomas. I look forward to seeing how it will play out.
Co-operation from Eagle's ,NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

The gentlemen MacAdam,Joy and Crawford and other 'green' spirited alumnae enjoyed exactly NO co-operation with respect to recruit possibilities and for 9 years...........it is a mistake if organizationally Eagles is allowed to have ANY responsibilities with men's recruiting. Eagles has for 9 years ignored the good advice from many people and it is not likely to change.

Old
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
gleanerguy

Of course, the flip side of giving the alumni such a powerful voice is that they impose themselves on the program to the point where, if you don't cowtow to them, bend to their every wish, or salute as you walk by them, they turn against you, question your competence, even your personality.
So the fear is, unless you let them pick the next guy -- and the above is among his qualifications -- they'll eventually run him off too.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Co-operation from Eagle's ,NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

The gentlemen MacAdam,Joy and Crawford and other 'green' spirited alumnae enjoyed exactly NO co-operation with respect to recruit possibilities and for 9 years...........it is a mistake if organizationally Eagles is allowed to have ANY responsibilities with men's recruiting. Eagles has for 9 years ignored the good advice from many people and it is not likely to change.
MacAdam, Joy and Crawford seem to be busy with their own thing im sure to not help with recruiting. Just let it go, season has been over for a while

Old
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
KohoDonuts88

totally wrong forum, but I can't delete my post

Last edited by KohoDonuts88: 03-08-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: delete
Old
03-08-2011, 07:39 PM
cookiecutter

I agree with Gleanerguy on the power of the alumni at STU. I don't believe for one minute that Cochrane woke up one morning and decided to do something to change STU hockey. It was the alumni who badgered him 24/7. I do hope Mike patrols the hockey corridor but also advocates for the other sports as well. It was a well known fact that Clint Hamilton over at UNB wanted to do away with female hockey and away it went. You would think an AD would fight for sports.

Old
03-08-2011, 10:44 PM
TYayo

Is it necessary to handicap themselves by only picking from STU Alumni? Maybe even a guy like Todd Sparks should be considered? He's been learning from one of the best..might be looking to take over a show for himself?

Old
03-09-2011, 07:31 AM
cookiecutter

To Gleaner guy; I would challange you when you say we need to live within our means and quote the number of students at STU. It is not the students who pay for the hockey programs. If that were true students should be up in arms over the tution costs. So the money comes from other sources. I am sure UNB guys bring in tons at the gate. So if there is tons of money at STU, living within our means got easier did it not? We just invested 1.5M, why not hire full time for both programs? It would only cost about an extra 120k per year max. You already have the coaches salary for the men, plus, I assume a part time salary for the ladies, so all you are looking at is topping up the female side and hiring an assistant full time for the guys. Surly a full time assistant could help the recruiting side for the guys.

Closed Thread