HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gotta ask: Has Lavy worn them out?

Old
03-06-2011, 07:18 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
How big a factor do you think not having Gagne on the pp this year?
He's been in and out of the lineup a lot over the past few years and they didn't miss a beat. Can't really pin it on that imo.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Snipsnap12

Turn around starts on tuesday against oilers... take it to the bank. Our past few losses laviolette has made them skate hard in practice only to see this fail miserably. He sent the team home today with no practice tommorow.... this is where players sit and realize they gotta take it upon themselves to get this going. Im not making excuses but I think its just a build of of small factors such as not facing adversity this year, a few small injuries, a good number of players getting the flu(takes longer than you would think to get back to full energy) and obviously lavy skating them to death.

Go home rest, let this ugly loss resinate into pure anger and look at tuesday as a turning point

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I believe Lavy is pushing them hard, but its something that is going to pay dividends in the long run. Our concern should not be to become dominant in the regular season, it should be to become dominant during the playoffs. That being said, this team has totally lost its concern for defense. Our forwards are not doing their part, and our d men are getting out of position on offense which are creating odd man rushes. WE need to get the D figured out asap.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
if anything i think its the other teams have figured out how to counter Lavi's system and shut it down..

seriously when was the last time we scored more then 4 goals ???
I think a lot of what's being said are factors. I know we are in a lull and its harder to get up and play when u have less to fight for butttt, our system is seriously exploited. Teams r setting up behind the net and getting near our goal...looks like the other teams figured out our game. I do think that laviolette may need to tone it down here and there - if u take a basic psychology look at it, the whole positive reinforcement thing, that definitely seemed lacking even when we were winning. Yes they are adults but sometimes I do think his style is a bit harsh on players and doesn't exactly inspire comraderie. That being said, it is just 4 games, tho we do look like a team that needs to get something working and soon.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Getting some goals on the PP would help. Its deflating emotionally and physically to not get rewarded after drawing a call from solid play.
True

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Dunno, the Bruins in 08-09 had that winning streak from November through December and then played ho-hum in february and March, it happens. I still think the Flyers come out of the east again this year.
No reverse jinx. Stop it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

I honestly think Zherdev's presence could be undermining the culture in that room. Teams that work together and like each other play for each other. It's tough to buy into that when there is a guy getting the same treatment as you who is clearly just there to get a paycheck. When did Zherdev get reinserted into the lineup? 4 games ago? Possibly a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something there.

Old
03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I honestly think Zherdev's presence could be undermining the culture in that room. Teams that work together and like each other play for each other. It's tough to buy into that when there is a guy getting the same treatment as you who is clearly just there to get a paycheck. When did Zherdev get reinserted into the lineup? 4 games ago? Possibly a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something there.
In general on Zherdev, I'm with you. But he's played pretty well over these four games, so I don't this could totally be the case. I've despised the guy all year, but he's made me double check to see if it was actually him doing some things the last few games.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
No reverse jinx. Stop it.
Nope, i said at the start of the year the Flyers would win a cup, and that was before they started dominating the league - i obviously hope the Bruins make the finals and win, but after 20 years of not making it past the second round, I'll be fine with an ECF appearance.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
In general on Zherdev, I'm with you. But he's played pretty well over these four games, so I don't this could totally be the case. I've despised the guy all year, but he's made me double check to see if it was actually him doing some things the last few games.
After requesting that he be waived at the deadline when no one else wanted to trade for him even though he was on the block. After being a no show in Carolina and them scrambling to dress Shelley. Basically, he wanted to be anywhere but with Philadelphia.

Then he comes back and has four decent games? It's too little, too late if I was a player in that room.

Old
03-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I think it's actually the other way around.

Lavy is letting them off a little to easy, to gear them up for a long play-off run. We all know that we have made the play-offs. So lavy is not beasting them in training, get a little oxygen back into the lungs.

The reason the powerplay has not worked this year, is because of the way Lavy has been rewarding players with PP time. This will stop with about 10 games left i believe. We will stick to two Power Play teams, and roll them all game. Get a little chemistry back, ready for the post-season. Players wont get PP on how well they are playing 5 on 5.

just my $0.02

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:05 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The reason the powerplay has not worked this year, is because of the way Lavy has been rewarding players with PP time. This will stop with about 10 games left i believe. We will stick to two Power Play teams, and roll them all game. Get a little chemistry back, ready for the post-season. Players wont get PP on how well they are playing 5 on 5.
This this this thiiiiiiis!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Nah, it's got to be either Boynton or Carcillo.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Cartsiephan*

Come on, this cannot be for real. So at one point this team is the best team on paper, next minute they are coasting to help keep soem gas in the tank, and now it is a coach who is asking too much from them? You cannot make this stuff up. It's called winning guys, either you in or you are out.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Once he was waived and no takers he should have been gone. How do you keep a guy around who has a questionable work ethic, did not buy in to the team philosophy of just do your job, smiled upon being waived at his exit into the livery, and then when he passes through waivers because no other team in the NHL wants him repents and has found Laviolette's way.

He should have been waived, sent to Phantoms, and bring up a guy like Holmstrom who at least would give 100% effort every night.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Dorny12

Therian says ...

Chris Therien was just on WIP and said that he thinks it’s just natural to become complacent when you’re comfortable about making the playoffs – they’re not on the edge so they’re not edgy. No matter how much you tell yourself you’re going to go all out, you naturally settle back. The Flyers opponents in the last 4 games have blocked TWICE as many Flyer shots as the average for the rest of the season. The teams they’re playing are throwing their bodies around because they’re fighting for a spot in the playoffs or their jobs and the Flyers aren’t. I hope they can turn it back on when the playoffs start.

Dorny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
He should have been waived, sent to Phantoms, and bring up a guy like Holmstrom who at least would give 100% effort every night.
I have a feling yesterday was the last straw. He was atrocious on the PP turning pucks over and will probably be assigned. I honestly wouldn't mind Leino sitting in the press box for a game because he's gotten into some bad habits of playing with the puck out high and not dumping and getting on the forecheck like he and his linemates were when they were rolling.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:13 AM
BWAVgal
WAR FACE!!!

vCash: 50
Even with all this going on, we are still in first. We can start turning it around tomorrow night by getting back to basics against the Oilers. Open up a can if you know what I'm saying.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I refuse to make excuses, but this flu bug has got to be at least part of the reason for their poor play, no?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
It's possible, but these guys are professional athletes, they should be able to handle it.
This.

Also, calling out a coach that brought them from such a ****** start last year to the SCF is ridiculous.

Every year it's the same damn thing with this team. Man the eff up and stop acting like spoiled babies when it comes to the coaching staff. You are all professional athletes, act like it.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
I refuse to make excuses, but this flu bug has got to be at least part of the reason for their poor play, no?
Come on, we all know that nobody likes to blame illness for a team that appears to lack energy. That's way too logical.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
IrishSniper87

Richards interview the other night on CSN was nuts. Richie told the report off for asking "the same question year after year". He mentioned past losing streak, said it happens, and that the Flyers will work their way out of it. He sounded pissed.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
well nothing good can come out of publicly calling out the coach for switching things up on the PP. If you have issues with it you keep it in house. Calling him out for things like switching up the PP leads people to speculate things.
I mean the PP has blown ass for the last couple of months. Why wouldnt Lavi want to switch things up and try something new. Did some of the players want to keep rolling out the same players and concept and continue to go 0 for on the PP? Give me a break.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Snipsnap12

Lavy told the media today that he thinks he may have overworked the players and thinks they may be fatigued and quite a number of them suffering from low energy due to the flue, he said he cancelled practice today because of it.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I have a feling yesterday was the last straw. He was atrocious on the PP turning pucks over and will probably be assigned. I honestly wouldn't mind Leino sitting in the press box for a game because he's gotten into some bad habits of playing with the puck out high and not dumping and getting on the forecheck like he and his linemates were when they were rolling.
It is nice to have an insurance policy but IMO it set a bad precedent for the players. I would rather see some guys like Holmstrom maybe get some more minutes. We are losing to teams who are putting out roser of players just fighting for a job, maybe it is time for Laviolette to do the same?