HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

regier said bigger names bigger contracts...any idea who?

Old
03-06-2011, 10:35 AM
joechip

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Spezza's talented but seems like a pretty dim bulb, even for a hockey player. Pass.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Apparently the Sabres had a bunch of big targets at the deadline. From what I hear, the top three they were after did not get moved.

It's anyone's guess as to who those three were though.

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
The rumored offer was 1st, Adam, Foligno. Ottawa wanted Ennis and that's where the deal fell through. Regier was also rumored to be in on Richards.
On Spezza, I'm glad it didn't happen - he's not the kind of competitor or leader this organization needs IMO.

If Regier was pursuing Richards as an option, that would however give me a lot of optimism for the offseason. Richards is a leader and proven clutch performer who makes his teammates better - which is what the Sabres need.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I was pretty sure I heard him say bigger players, not bigger names. I took it as he was looking to add size.
Yup....

Quote:
"We talked to teams about acquiring bigger players, longer term, and had good conversations, but in the end it didn't go through," he said. "We'll make more attempts come the draft and see whether those or other players like them are available and hopefully break through."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle354544.ece

Old
03-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
It'd be okay with me too, but I'm sure it wouldn't be with Danny. Not after that whole fiasco on the dreaded day of 7/1/07.
That would depend on whether Briere blames Regier for any of that mess, rather than Quinn & Golisano. He had to know who was calling the shots on that, not to mention the likelihood that he probably knew about Drury's contract being pulled in the fall.

Certainly, Briere's love for the city; respect for Ruff; and friendships with many on the roster would bode well if he ever were given a choice to return.

Old
03-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Sabretip

Trade route definitely seems the way to go, considering the UFA pool - which makes me wonder about Pegula's "absolutely" response when asked by TBN if the Sabres will be a free agency player:

Quote:
WINNIPEG FREE PRESS: Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press recently reported all indications point to an underwhelming free agent market this summer after a slow trade deadline. The best talent potentially available could be goaltenders, including Phoenix’s Ilya Bryzgalov (whom the Coyotes still hope to re-sign but is currently hamstrung by the stalled sale of the team), Florida’s Tomas Vokoun, Ottawa’s Craig Anderson, Tampa Bay’s Dwayne Roloson, New Jersey’s Johan Hedberg, Minnesota’s Jose Theodore and Toronto’s J.S. Giguere. The biggest name poised to become a UFA is Dallas’ Brad Richards, after which the best potential free agent forwards – Milan Hejduk, Alex Kovalev, Jason Arnott, Simon Gagne, Alex Tanguay, Ville Leino and Jussi Jokinen – would only add depth to an organization.

SPORTING NEWS: Craig Custance recently listed Bryzgalov, Vokoun, Roloson, Evgeni Nabokov and Anderson as the top five goalies who could be available this summer.

NBC SPORTS: James O’Brien suggested this summer’s market could be deep in backup goalies, listing Hedberg, Theodore, Philadelphia’s Brian Boucher, Detroit’s Chris Osgood, Tampa Bay’s Mike Smith, St. Louis’ Ty Conklin, Minnesota’s Josh Harding and Montreal’s Alex Auld as the best available options, plus Chicago’s Marty Turco, Giguere and Anaheim’s Ray Emery as “wild card options”.
http://spectorshockey.net/2011/03/th...or-ufa-talent/

Old
03-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Trade route definitely seems the way to go, considering the UFA pool - which makes me wonder about Pegula's "absolutely" response when asked by TBN if the Sabres will be a free agency player:
Leino is an interesting player.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Eric II

Quote:
I know it's odd, but did anyone by any chance catch on the night we got Boyes, there were some videos on the Sabres site interviewing Ruff, Montador, and Connolly on the Boyes trade. When I clicked on the video to see Ruff's interview, it instead showed a video of highlights of Mike Ribeiro as a Star.

Weird, but it made me think a potential deal could have been in place even though the odds are small. Why would our site have Ribeiro anywhere on it?
Hmm. That's interesting to say the least.

Quote:
It'd be okay with me too, but I'm sure it wouldn't be with Danny. Not after that whole fiasco on the dreaded day of 7/1/07.
He loved it here, but I think he's happy in Philadelphia, too. Most guys don't want to go back, regardless of circumstances, after they've left and had success elsewhere.

Eric II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Unless Pegula, and Co. have changed Regier's mind, he does not trade with teams in cap trouble...

Remember last off-season Darcy said the Buffalo Sabres would not "help" any teams in cap trouble....I believe he was talking about the Blackhawks then. So we had no chance of getting Bfyuglien, Versteeg, etc.

So unless his mind/philosophy has changed, players like Pavelski on teams in cap trouble won't be coming to buffalo....

I always thought and still do that this is a stupid way of looking at it from a GM's standpoint....Personally, I would look at it as poaching

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Pondslider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
Apparently the Sabres had a bunch of big targets at the deadline. From what I hear, the top three they were after did not get moved.

It's anyone's guess as to who those three were though.
Stastny, Richards, Spezza?

Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Unless Pegula, and Co. have changed Regier's mind, he does not trade with teams in cap trouble...

Remember last off-season Darcy said the Buffalo Sabres would not "help" any teams in cap trouble....I believe he was talking about the Blackhawks then. So we had no chance of getting Bfyuglien, Versteeg, etc.

So unless his mind/philosophy has changed, players like Pavelski on teams in cap trouble won't be coming to buffalo....

I always thought and still do that this is a stupid way of looking at it from a GM's standpoint....Personally, I would look at it as poaching
That's simply not true. Lydman and Rivet are two players acquired because their respective teams were in cap trouble and had to move salary.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Or the worst if they emulate the Rangers......

It's not how much you spend, it's how you spend it.

I don't think Spezza is a guy that you can build a Cup winner around.
Spezza would be interesting. 4 years at his age, and capability... i'd do it if the trade was reasonable.

how many #1 centers really become available... at his age...

if we added Spezza to a core of Vanek, Miller, Myers, Roy, and atleast keeping 2 of Poms, Staff, Ennis, and Boyes

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Spezza would be interesting. 4 years at his age, and capability... i'd do it if the trade was reasonable.

how many #1 centers really become available... at his age...

if we added Spezza to a core of Vanek, Miller, Myers, Roy, and atleast keeping 2 of Poms, Staff, Ennis, and Boyes
Vanek Spezza Pominville
Stafford Roy Boyes

Would you part with Ennis to have that top 6?

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Vanek Spezza Pominville
Stafford Roy Boyes

Would you part with Ennis to have that top 6?
i'd part with much more then just Ennis

Ennis, Adam, Foligno, Enroth
?
enough? probably not in sens fans eyes

then i'd try to move Poms for his equivalent on defense....

Old
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post

I think he meant he wouldn't be taking bad contracts just for the sake of it.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
i'd part with much more then just Ennis

Ennis, Adam, Foligno, Enroth
?
enough? probably not in sens fans eyes

then i'd try to move Poms for his equivalent on defense....
the rumour was Ennis, Adam/Foligno and a 1st. Which is obviously a goer for me.

If he didn't play for Ottawa people wouldn't be so much against him. Like it or not he's a top player. He is 10x better than Connolly. And who cares if he's stupid - its what he does in the game that counts. They don't need someone to lead the franchise, they just need a top playmaker to feed Vanek and co. the puck. And Spezza will do that.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:26 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
the rumour was Ennis, Adam/Foligno and a 1st. Which is obviously a goer for me.

If he didn't play for Ottawa people wouldn't be so much against him. Like it or not he's a top player. He is 10x better than Connolly. And who cares if he's stupid - its what he does in the game that counts. They don't need someone to lead the franchise, they just need a top playmaker to feed Vanek and co. the puck. And Spezza will do that.
I don't care if he's stupid I care that he's a *****. I've never liked Spezza or the way he plays, and he's not someone I'd be happy about trading for if we'd be giving up Ennis. Ennis is a gamer, and is a guy who has lots of heart. From what I've seen of Spezza he doesn't have much heart. Go watch the video from the brawl with Ottawa in 06-07, when Mair goes after him, Spezza turtles like a little *****. I don't care if Mair's a tougher guy than him, Spezza's 6-3, weighs 215, and should have some pride in himself as a man. I know it was one thing, but I just do not like Spezza, and I would much rather have Ennis than him in the long run.

If we can get him without giving up Kassian or Ennis I'm all for it, but I wouldn't be interested in giving up Ennis, a 1st, and other players and/or prospects. And yes I realize you need to give up quality to get it, and I would trade Ennis to land a top center. But to me Spezza is not the player he used to be at all, and is not someone I'd give up my best young forward with lots of potential for.

What I don't understand is how everyone on here wants this team to have more heart and be tougher physically and mentally, yet some want to add Ribeiro and/or Spezza. I don't get it. If were giving up Ennis, a 1st, and other top prospects I want a guy whose a top player now, not one whose been hurt and struggling the last couple years, and doesn't have much heart to begin with.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
I don't like Spezza enough to give up Ennis. Add another first to the package if it's worth the same.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

I would not be happy giving up ennis for spezza

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Jame
Dream '16

If u wouldn't give up ennis for spezza, u spend too much time of HF

Old
03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Or we don't want to give up significant assests for a soft oft-injured player who has been trending downward the past few years.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:09 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Or you've watched Spezza get hurt to many times, realize he gets paid as much as Vanek and is nothing, except a little more talent, that we don't have.

Ennis can make up for that talent. If we're on a "3 year plan," Ennis will be much more valuable than Spezza because he can be the same offensive catalyst and will be $3-4 million cheaper.

Spezza is not a center you win a cup with as your go to guy.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Ennis straight up? Obviously I'd do that.

Ennis and Adam and a first? No ****ing way.

Spezza's a paper 1C. He's three seasons removed from PPG and he's not particularly great in other facets of his game since the Sens juggernaut fell apart.

E: redundant I guess :/

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Ennis is overrated around here

Old
03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Connor McDavid