HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Canucks - 03/05/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
I think it's a combination of the fact that he was arguably a Norris Trophy candidate AND arguably the top d-man for the gold medal winning team last year that has led to this "I can do whatever I want because of _______ and ________" attitude.

Not to say that he's unworthy of either of those things, but for a 21 year old, those two things can easily make you feel like you're more than "on top of the world."
I'm sure that might play a huge part. Hey, who knew somebody can have a conversation without trolling eachother

The game was really fun to watch. But, obviously the Kings needed to play better. Our PKs were awesome though. PP....well.. what powerplay?

Old
03-06-2011, 02:01 AM
luongoisdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I'm sure that might play a huge part. Hey, who knew somebody can have a conversation without trolling eachother

The game was really fun to watch. But, obviously the Kings needed to play better. Our PKs were awesome though. PP....well.. what powerplay?
Haha, just trying to act civil around here.

No doubt about the game. Playoff like atmosphere right there...where have I heard that before...

I think you guys did play really well, but I obviously don't have much to compare it by. Not to sound terrible or anything, but our PP was the worst that I've seen in a while. No movement whatsoever, leading to very little puck movement. You guys did a great job closing off all the passing lanes. Give credit where credit's due.

Seems like it's the opposite of the playoff series. We couldn't kill a penalty to save our lives. What was it, 6 straight PP goals for you guys? It was almost comical and so damn uplifting when we finally killed a penalty...

Old
03-06-2011, 02:11 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Not to act in an obnoxious manner or anything, but which dive were you referencing about Luongo today? The whole game was too exciting; might've slipped my mind.

We NEVER act as if no one on our team are diving. At least, not to the extent that some of the other fanbases may be thinking. Without being too self-fulfilling, we DO get down on our players when they're not performing to our expectations (eg. Rome today). They get absolutely beat down on.

Oh btw, I THINK I'm trying to "actually trying to have a legit conversation."

Maybe somebody else can give you the exact time, but I believe it was during the first. Basically one of our guys skated close to him and he fell down trying to draw a call. It's not a big deal because that's what he does sometimes, but all the smug comments made about DD and completely ignoring that was interesting. Miller and Fox even drew attention to it if you happened to be watching the Kings feed.

And I actually don't have a problem with you being here at all because you are having a conversation. I'm just really testy after all the trolls today talking **** about everything from our team to our city. Some of it just went too far.

Old
03-06-2011, 02:17 AM
luongoisdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Maybe somebody else can give you the exact time, but I believe it was during the first. Basically one of our guys skated close to him and he fell down trying to draw a call. It's not a big deal because that's what he does sometimes, but all the smug comments made about DD and completely ignoring that was interesting. Miller and Fox even drew attention to it if you happened to be watching the Kings feed.

And I actually don't have a problem with you being here at all because you are having a conversation. I'm just really testy after all the trolls today talking **** about everything from our team to our city. Some of it just went too far.
Oh, interesting. Maybe someone can give a bit more detail about it? I'll be completely honest, I don't recall that at all.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I usually don't post much (as you can see from my >40 posts), but there had to be a bit of sanity given to the situation.

The hate WAS spurred by the fact that your fanbase was saying that we'll crumble in the playoffs because of our history, AND the fact that you guys were complaining about Daniel Sedin (who, let's be honest, isn't the strongest guy around) somewhat interfered with the winning goal.

Put yourself in my shoes. When your beloved team has to deal with Dustin ByFugly for two playoff series (losing too) in a row, there's definitely a boiling point. Maybe you guys haven't experienced that sort of pain, but trust me, it is freakin' terrible to deal with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_D-6XfQPA

And you guys are complaining about Sedin?! That's where some of the hate is coming from. Hopefully you don't take it too seriously.

Old
03-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Haha, just trying to act civil around here.

No doubt about the game. Playoff like atmosphere right there...where have I heard that before...

I think you guys did play really well, but I obviously don't have much to compare it by. Not to sound terrible or anything, but our PP was the worst that I've seen in a while. No movement whatsoever, leading to very little puck movement. You guys did a great job closing off all the passing lanes. Give credit where credit's due.

Seems like it's the opposite of the playoff series. We couldn't kill a penalty to save our lives. What was it, 6 straight PP goals for you guys? It was almost comical and so damn uplifting when we finally killed a penalty...
That powerplay was fun to watch. I'm just not sure if it had to do with the Canucks PK being that bad. (It probably had a huge impact though) It was beautiful though.

Now it's just nothing.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:03 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Oh, interesting. Maybe someone can give a bit more detail about it? I'll be completely honest, I don't recall that at all.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I usually don't post much (as you can see from my >40 posts), but there had to be a bit of sanity given to the situation.

The hate WAS spurred by the fact that your fanbase was saying that we'll crumble in the playoffs because of our history, AND the fact that you guys were complaining about Daniel Sedin (who, let's be honest, isn't the strongest guy around) somewhat interfered with the winning goal.

Put yourself in my shoes. When your beloved team has to deal with Dustin ByFugly for two playoff series (losing too) in a row, there's definitely a boiling point. Maybe you guys haven't experienced that sort of pain, but trust me, it is freakin' terrible to deal with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_D-6XfQPA

And you guys are complaining about Sedin?! That's where some of the hate is coming from. Hopefully you don't take it too seriously.

Eh, it's a viscous circle. After our series last season, a rivalry developed and there is not a lot of love for you guys. Kinda like how you feel about Chicago. This was an important game for us because unlike you, playoffs are not a certainty this season and we need those points. So to fall behind on a questionable goal like that really sucked. You have to imagine where we are coming from as well. If we string together a few more losses, our season could be over due to well how everybody else seems to be playing. This was not an important game for you guys.

Also, I don't get why so many of your fans are so insecure when you have such a solid team and are leading the NHL? What does it matter what we say about the game on our own page after a tough loss?

Anyway, you seem like a cool guy and I'll leave it at that. If you want to make things better, please destroy the Ducks.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:16 AM
luongoisdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Eh, it's a viscous circle. After our series last season, a rivalry developed and there is not a lot of love for you guys. Kinda like how you feel about Chicago. This was an important game for us because unlike you, playoffs are not a certainty this season and we need those points. So to fall behind on a questionable goal like that really sucked. You have to imagine where we are coming from as well. If we string together a few more losses, our season could be over due to well how everybody else seems to be playing. This was not an important game for you guys.

Also, I don't get why so many of your fans are so insecure when you have such a solid team and are leading the NHL? What does it matter what we say about the game on our own page after a tough loss?

Anyway, you seem like a cool guy and I'll leave it at that. If you want to make things better, please destroy the Ducks.
There's no arguing that the game was more important to the Kings than the Canucks. However, after going on an absolutely insane streak for what, 2 months or something, we've been playing .500 hockey for the past three weeks or so. After two completely lacklustre performances at home, this game WAS of importance to us also.

If you want to say that it was a statement game for both teams, that's extremely fair.

Insecurity? Perhaps. I guess it just gets to a point of insanity when you've been to 2 Cup finals in your 40 year history, and haven't gotten even close due to a series of unfortunate events in the past decade and a half.

As for your second question, I can't provide a response. It shouldn't.

Thanks. We'll do our best. No guarantees though. Hopefully you guys destroy the Stars to further their despair on Monday.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Sedinery2011

I'd have to agree on the GWG being BS...I would rage if that happened to the Canucks...oh wait it already has once against the Wild when Lou made a save on his pads and was then pitchforked into the net for the GWG late in the 3rd. this kind of crap tends to even out eventually I guess.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:44 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

I'm still pissed mostly due to our PP, change the tactics it is not working.

Old
03-06-2011, 06:29 AM
sjmay*

Anyone catch the comment, I want to say it was Ehroff, but it easily could have been the Chicago-Leaf game, a Chicago player, but they said they don't practice the PP, now that I am typing this, I believe it was Ehroff about Vancouver, they don't practice the PP, they just go out there and do what feels right, when you have skilled players, sometimes that's the way to go,

The game was exciting to watch, I lost power midway through the 3rd though and got it back just as Sedin scored, imo, no goal, no penalty, but it's a rough call to make if you only have a split second to see it, Doughty has a right to be upset, but grow a pair, man up, and come back to play, Quick has absolutely no right to be upset, he's been bumped harder playing peewee hockey.

Old
03-06-2011, 06:51 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

I gotta be honest. The thing that I REALLY don't understand, especially coming from Kings fans, is those who ask how as a Canucks fan I can even follow my team. Or watch a disgrace of a hockey club.

I don't tell the players to embellish. I don't tell them to do anything. All I do is support the team with my cities crest on the front.

If that's what it takes to get skewered on a hockey forum these days? Then **** it.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:47 AM
sameer786

Hey guys, Canucks fan here. Just wanted to make a few comments.

First of all, the reason there were so many Canuck fans at the game is a lot of fans follow the team whenever they go on the California road trips(LA, Anaheim, San Jose). This is because in our market it costs 100+ a ticket per game, so it is actually cheaper to watch 3 games in Cali than 3 games in Vancouver, even when you add in the flight/driving costs, hotel etc. So its not because we follow our team everywhere, but its only a 16 hour drive(not too bad), and we get the opportunity to have a mini-vacation while watching our team play 3 times at quite a reasonable cost comparitively. Its funny, during the playoffs last year my friend was able to drive there and back, watch 2 playoff games and stay in a motel for much less than getting 2 tickets to playoff games here.

Second of all, the game was definitely a tight one, and I understand the frustration you guys have with the second goal, which ended up being the game winning goal, BUT, at the same time I don't think its fair to say it was the fault of your loss. You guys were simply outplayed. Your first goal was a lucky bounce from behind the net, your PP came up dry, especially on that 5 on 3 early that could of totally changed the pace of the game. We heavily outshot and outchanced you guys and controlled much of the game. Luongo had a pretty easy night and wasn't forced to make any spectacular saves.

I hope you guys don't take this as me attacking your team, you guys have been better and will be better. It was just an off game for your offense, which could be attributed to the early 1PM start time. You guys should take the positives of this game and move on. Your PK totally shut down the best powerplay in the league, your goalie was amazing, and you guys kept it a pretty close game until the end against the #1 team in the league while having an off-game.

Good luck on the rest of your season, you guys have a huge team and I really hope we don't meet in the first round again! You guys have a huge team and any team that goes through you, whether win or loss, will definitely be bruised up!

Old
03-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Well, at least Murray is consistent in his inconsistency:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford/Lewis/Richardson/Westgarth

At least he is finally trying my lines.

Pre-game talk: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=886837

Last edited by Sydor25: 03-06-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old
03-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer786 View Post

First of all, the reason there were so many Canuck fans at the game is a lot of fans follow the team whenever they go on the California road trips(LA, Anaheim, San Jose). This is because in our market it costs 100+ a ticket per game, so it is actually cheaper to watch 3 games in Cali than 3 games in Vancouver, even when you add in the flight/driving costs, hotel etc. So its not because we follow our team everywhere, but its only a 16 hour drive(not too bad), and we get the opportunity to have a mini-vacation while watching our team play 3 times at quite a reasonable cost comparitively. Its funny, during the playoffs last year my friend was able to drive there and back, watch 2 playoff games and stay in a motel for much less than getting 2 tickets to playoff games here.

Second of all, the game was definitely a tight one, and I understand the frustration you guys have with the second goal, which ended up being the game winning goal, BUT, at the same time I don't think its fair to say it was the fault of your loss. You guys were simply outplayed. Your first goal was a lucky bounce from behind the net, your PP came up dry, especially on that 5 on 3 early that could of totally changed the pace of the game. We heavily outshot and outchanced you guys and controlled much of the game. Luongo had a pretty easy night and wasn't forced to make any spectacular saves.

I hope you guys don't take this as me attacking your team, you guys have been better and will be better. It was just an off game for your offense, which could be attributed to the early 1PM start time. You guys should take the positives of this game and move on. Your PK totally shut down the best powerplay in the league, your goalie was amazing, and you guys kept it a pretty close game until the end against the #1 team in the league while having an off-game.

Good luck on the rest of your season, you guys have a huge team and I really hope we don't meet in the first round again! You guys have a huge team and any team that goes through you, whether win or loss, will definitely be bruised up!
Agree with everything you wrote. Thanks for dropping by and saying hey. I would also wish you luck the rest of the season, but I want to see your whining dirty little team burn in hell...but we're not taking the loss personally or anything Cheers.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
How many times does Hamhius have to turn his back or duck before he learns his lesson? serves him right. Learn to take a hit without turning your back and you won't get hurt.
exactly! That shouldn't have been a penalty. If he stays upright, it's just a check into the boards - and he aware he was about to be checked, and it was not a check from behind.

But he turtled before the check and the refs bought it.

And he acted hurt, then was somehow able to get up immediately to throw a punch or 2.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:38 PM
sameer786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
exactly! That shouldn't have been a penalty. If he stays upright, it's just a check into the boards - and he aware he was about to be checked, and it was not a check from behind.

And he acted hurt, then was somehow able to get up immediately to throw a punch or 2.
You should watch a replay of it. It wasnt the fact that he got hit from behind, he threw the hit at the head. The reason he didnt stay upright is cause he was pushed from the head.

Old
03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
onlyalad

Quote:

The rules changed this year so that the player causing the hit is completely at fault. I don't know why he lowered his head but the rule now states that he is not at fault for this type of hit. It is like when a player skates to a puck the first thing he does is turns his back to the player checking him. The way the rules are written is encouraging players to put themselves in dangerous positions to get force a penalty.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Butch 19
King me

?? 240 posts and no pics of Sudin sticking out his lower lip as he pouts to the ref?

Did they show this on FSN? I was at the game and they started showing it more and more as the game went on. Hilarious!!

In all my years of watching hockey, this is the first time I've seen a player so blatantly pout to the ref: "look what he did to me... it hurts so muuuuch..."

Old
03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
More blaming the refs? Come On guys, really?

Scoring 1 goal a game is not going to cut it.
?? Previous game: Kings 1 PHX 0

With most games being against conf & div opponents, all games from here on are basically playoff games. Goals per game will likely drop even more, so EVERY ref call / non-call can have an impact on the final score.

Old
03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
JT8888

Quote:

this is why i like hockey fans, as much as i hate the nucks i respect anyone that has the passion for the game i love.

cheers

Old
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
You know who really sucks? The fans in LA at the game. That was embarrasing watching that on tv and hearing the Canuck fans out cheer them the entire game. People up here in BC were laughing at you guys because there was more Canucks fans there than Kings fans. Disgraceful. You wonder why the team can't get up for a home game.
So I suppose it's the Kings' fault that so many people move from Vancouver to L.A. and attend the games at Staples?

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 03-06-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old
03-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Elsie

Quote:
?? 240 posts and no pics of Sudin sticking out his lower lip as he pouts to the ref?

Did they show this on FSN? I was at the game and they started showing it more and more as the game went on. Hilarious!!

In all my years of watching hockey, this is the first time I've seen a player so blatantly pout to the ref: "look what he did to me... it hurts so muuuuch..."

FSN went to a commercial and it wasn't shown. The fact that a picture hasn't shown up yet is a crying shame. (pun intended)

Old
03-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
FSN went to a commercial and it wasn't shown. The fact that a picture hasn't shown up yet is a crying shame. (pun intended)
The Kings need to put Baby Sedin up on the internet, it was too ****ing funny. What a little cry baby.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
The Kings need to put Baby Sedin up on the internet, it was too ****ing funny. What a little cry baby.
I can't believe I missed this.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:29 AM
Forever27

Quote:
This weekend was basically the perfect storm. Back to back saturday and sunday in LA and Anahiem. Basically every Canuck fan who was thinking about travelling to see a game marked these two on their calendar as the ones to go to, which is why you saw so many of us in the arena. Me and my friends were all planning to do it to but left it a little late.

Closed Thread