HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

New Interview With Dean Lombardi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
  #1
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
New Interview With Dean Lombardi

Our friends at LA Times Magazine asked that I share this interview on our site. I am also sharing it with you. Different than the typical drab Lombardi interview due in large part to good writing and a professional journalistic style.

Enjoy.

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2011/...outh-card.html

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
  #2
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Well written article, but some Lombardi quotes for Herby ( ):


Quote:
“We’re way younger than [what] I had in San Jose at this stage,” Lombardi says. “And this group is better than I had in San Jose—not even close. The potential core here is way better.”

The kids—again. And this reminds Lombardi that Chicago won their championship last spring with a roster full of the same kind of kids, all of whom were drafted and developed by the organization.

“It took ’em eight years to rebuild and win their cup,” he says with a smile. “We’re ahead of schedule.”
I just wish someone would actually ask him about the coaching style of offense that the Kings use. Is he really happy with Murray's style? Does he believe that the Kings don't have the players to play any other way?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
  #3
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
CHIC drafted Seabrook in 2003 and Keith in 2002. However they did not play in the NHL until 2005-06. In 2006 they drafted Toews and in 2007 they got Kane. IMO CHIC built their Cup winning team in 5 yrs. Yes they drafted key guys in 2002/03 but the others like Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa were drafted or acquired in 2005-06 to 2009.

LA drafted Brown in 2003 and Quick and Kopitar in 2005. They will have to be key components if LA is to win a Cup. IMO LA is actually in year 8 but only DL's 5th.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:05 PM
  #4
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,106
vCash: 500
why don't I get LA Times Magazine in my Sunday paper?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
  #5
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,898
vCash: 500
Nothing very revealing, as he's been using the same tired old line over the past few years about them still being young and learning to be winners.

He says it took Chicago eight years to win a Cup. The Hawks won the Cup in 2010, so he's claiming that the Hawks rebuild started in 2002, but that is simply false. The management group that put together that Hawks team took over in 2005, led by Dale Tallon.

The first player Tallon and his group drafted was Jack Skille at the 2005 draft. In 2006, they drafted Jonathan Toews, their franchise center, at 3rd overall, and in 2007 they selected their franchise winger, Patrick Kane, first overall. In 2008-09, the Blackhawks reached the Conference Finals, losing to the Detroit Red Wings. One year later, they won the Stanley Cup.

Lombardi's claim that it took the Hawks eight years of rebuilding is bullsh!t. They had a good fortune of finding talent in the later rounds (Byfuglien, Brouwer, Dowell, Wisniewski, Hjarlmarsson). Yes, they were a bad team throughout those years, but they quickly turned their fortunes around thanks largely in part to Toews and Kane. Once those two were drafted, they became one of the best teams in the Western Conference rather quickly. It didn't take those two players eight years to learn to become winners.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:42 PM
  #6
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 14,846
vCash: 500
Calling Dustin Brown a "kid" is insulting to the fan base.

And you are spot on about Chicago's rebuild.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:47 PM
  #7
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Well written article, but some Lombardi quotes for Herby ( ):




I just wish someone would actually ask him about the coaching style of offense that the Kings use. Is he really happy with Murray's style? Does he believe that the Kings don't have the players to play any other way?
What is he going to do, undermine his coach, second guess him publicly and throw him onto the hot seat during a winning season?

He wouldn't say those things even if he believed them. The chain of predictability in responses goes lower-level in the organization (reporter, broadcaster, intern, assistant to assistant whatever, etc), then players, then coaches, then managers and then the commissioner. When you ask Bettman a question you could script his response in your mind before he takes the first breath his response. DL is not boring or anything but he's very controlled in what he shares, as he should be.

__________________
Danny Duberstein is good at two things ...
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM
  #8
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Calling Dustin Brown a "kid" is insulting to the fan base.

And you are spot on about Chicago's rebuild.
Dustin Brown is 26 and has played nearly 500 NHL games - that's not a kid in NHL terms. That's a seasoned, grizzled veteran...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:07 PM
  #9
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Dustin Brown is 26 and has played nearly 500 NHL games - that's not a kid in NHL terms. That's a seasoned, grizzled veteran...
Let's look at the numbers and see how far ahead of schedule the Kings are...

Anze Kopitar: 383 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Jonathan Toews: 286 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

Dustin Brown: 496 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Patrick Kane: 301 NHL games, 38 Playoff games.

Jarret Stoll: 498 NHL games, 30 Playoff games.
Dave Bolland: 219 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

Justin Williams: 617 NHL games, 45 Playoff games.
Patrick Sharp: 484 NHL games, 51 Playoff games.

Ryan Smyth: 1052 NHL games, 87 Playoff games.
Marian Hossa: 881 NHL games, 120 Playoff games.

Drew Doughty: 222 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Duncan Keith: 470 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

Jack Johnson: 265 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Brent Seabrook: 458 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

So, beyond the top two defensemen, if you breakdown the experience of the Hawks compared to the Kings, it's evident that the Hawks have a younger and less experienced group when it comes to NHL games played, yet they have enjoyed more success and have appeared in more playoff games. Further proof that Dean Lombardi is spewing crap to fool fans to believe that the Kings are on the same path to success as the Hawks.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:09 PM
  #10
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I will reserve my opinion regarding the Hawks until after this seasons playoffs are over.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
  #11
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I will reserve my opinion regarding the Hawks until after this seasons playoffs are over.
Short of a Kings Cup hoist, what would there be to reserve?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
  #12
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Timing is everything PSP, you know that as well as anyone.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:06 PM
  #13
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Lombardi's claim that it took the Hawks eight years of rebuilding is bullsh!t. They had a good fortune of finding talent in the later rounds (Byfuglien, Brouwer, Dowell, Wisniewski, Hjarlmarsson). Yes, they were a bad team throughout those years, but they quickly turned their fortunes around thanks largely in part to Toews and Kane. Once those two were drafted, they became one of the best teams in the Western Conference rather quickly. It didn't take those two players eight years to learn to become winners.
They did take Keith (2nd rd.) in 2002 and Seabrook (1st rd.) in 2003. No way does Chicago win the cup without those two. Using this logic of ignoring Chicago's most important player, you could say the King's rebuild started in 2008 with the drafting of Doughty, ignoring Kopitar's selection 3 years before that.

Not that I fully agree with Lombardi on this, but 2002 is a lot more accurate of a statement than saying 2005.


Last edited by Fishhead: 03-06-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
  #14
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
They did take Keith (2nd rd.) in 2002 and Seabrook (1st rd.) in 2003. No way does Chicago win the cup without those two. Using this logic of ignoring Chicago's most important player, you could say the King's rebuild started in 2008 with the drafting of Doughty, ignoring Kopitar's selection 3 years before that.

Not that I fully agree with Lombardi on this, but 2002 is a lot more accurate of a statement than saying 2005.
In 2002 Chicago had 96 points and in 2003 they had 79. In 2003-04 they struggled and had only 59 points followed by 65 in 2005-06. As pointed out Tallon came on board at this time. If CHIC started their build in 2002, then LA started its in 2003! So there is NO WAY DL can say we are ahead of them in terms of building.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:44 PM
  #15
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Nothing very revealing, as he's been using the same tired old line over the past few years about them still being young and learning to be winners.

He says it took Chicago eight years to win a Cup. The Hawks won the Cup in 2010, so he's claiming that the Hawks rebuild started in 2002, but that is simply false. The management group that put together that Hawks team took over in 2005, led by Dale Tallon.

The first player Tallon and his group drafted was Jack Skille at the 2005 draft. In 2006, they drafted Jonathan Toews, their franchise center, at 3rd overall, and in 2007 they selected their franchise winger, Patrick Kane, first overall. In 2008-09, the Blackhawks reached the Conference Finals, losing to the Detroit Red Wings. One year later, they won the Stanley Cup.

Lombardi's claim that it took the Hawks eight years of rebuilding is bullsh!t. They had a good fortune of finding talent in the later rounds (Byfuglien, Brouwer, Dowell, Wisniewski, Hjarlmarsson). Yes, they were a bad team throughout those years, but they quickly turned their fortunes around thanks largely in part to Toews and Kane. Once those two were drafted, they became one of the best teams in the Western Conference rather quickly. It didn't take those two players eight years to learn to become winners.
This is exactly right!
CHIC was able to land a 1-2 punch of Toews and Kane in back to back years. LA drafted Hickey and Doughty in its back to back years of top 5 picks.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:40 AM
  #16
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
In 2002 Chicago had 96 points and in 2003 they had 79. In 2003-04 they struggled and had only 59 points followed by 65 in 2005-06. As pointed out Tallon came on board at this time. If CHIC started their build in 2002, then LA started its in 2003! So there is NO WAY DL can say we are ahead of them in terms of building.
This was exactly my point about Chicago and one of the things I disagree with DL on. Chicago's rebuild started in 03-04 - that really was the first year they blew things up. They got rid of House and Thomas the year before, and finally rid themselves of Sullivan and Zhamnov to allow their youngsters (Arnason, Calder, Bell) to carry the load. They drafted Keith in 2002, but he didn't even get a look for a couple years after.

Not sure how one can conclude that LA started their rebuild in 2003. You don't pick up guys like Straka and Carter if you are rebuilding. In my opinion, the Kings rebuild started in 06-07 when they finally stopped trying to fool themselves with guys like Demitra, Roenick, and Conroy, hired Crawford, and turned the team over to Cammy, Frolov, Kopitar, and Brown. Prior to that year the Kings were still trying to pick up veterans (Parrish and Sopel, ugh) and win.

Just IMO of course, there are many ways to look at it. I've always thought rebuilds start with 'blowing it up'. I don't really see how we are that far behind Chicago in that regard.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:31 AM
  #17
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Let's look at the numbers and see how far ahead of schedule the Kings are...

Anze Kopitar: 383 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Jonathan Toews: 286 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

Dustin Brown: 496 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Patrick Kane: 301 NHL games, 38 Playoff games.

Jarret Stoll: 498 NHL games, 30 Playoff games.
Dave Bolland: 219 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

Justin Williams: 617 NHL games, 45 Playoff games.
Patrick Sharp: 484 NHL games, 51 Playoff games.

Ryan Smyth: 1052 NHL games, 87 Playoff games.
Marian Hossa: 881 NHL games, 120 Playoff games.

Drew Doughty: 222 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Duncan Keith: 470 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

Jack Johnson: 265 NHL games, 6 Playoff games.
Brent Seabrook: 458 NHL games, 39 Playoff games.

So, beyond the top two defensemen, if you breakdown the experience of the Hawks compared to the Kings, it's evident that the Hawks have a younger and less experienced group when it comes to NHL games played, yet they have enjoyed more success and have appeared in more playoff games. Further proof that Dean Lombardi is spewing crap to fool fans to believe that the Kings are on the same path to success as the Hawks.
Talk about disingenuous, Stoll instead of Simmonds, really?? Hell just use Mitchell instead of Kopitar next time....it would make more sense,

Love the Smyth-Hossa comparison though, that makes a ton of sense....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:40 AM
  #18
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 14,846
vCash: 500
The funniest thing is over the summer many of the experts on this board said Chicago had sold it's future for the Stanley Cup and was "one and done" and a "shell of last year's team" and now suddenly DL is trying to use Chicago as a comparable to how the Kings are being built.

Sorry if I just don't see it, the product being put on the ice is nothing like what Chicago has put out there. The teams are pretty much the polar opposites when it comes to on ice philosophy.

Chicago won a Stanley Cup last year largely on the backs of players that Dean Lombardi would refer to as "kids"

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:07 AM
  #19
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Talk about disingenuous, Stoll instead of Simmonds, really?? Hell just use Mitchell instead of Kopitar next time....it would make more sense,

Love the Smyth-Hossa comparison though, that makes a ton of sense....
Is Simmonds a 2nd line center? I'd compare him to Brouwer on the Hawks. Again, if Lombardi is going to say the Kings are ahead of schedule of where the Hawks were, I'd love to know at what point this team is not going to struggle to squeak into the playoffs.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
  #20
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Is Simmonds a 2nd line center? I'd compare him to Brouwer on the Hawks. Again, if Lombardi is going to say the Kings are ahead of schedule of where the Hawks were, I'd love to know at what point this team is not going to struggle to squeak into the playoffs.
I was thinking more along the lines of Kings core vs Chicago core.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
  #21
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The funniest thing is over the summer many of the experts on this board said Chicago had sold it's future for the Stanley Cup and was "one and done" and a "shell of last year's team" and now suddenly DL is trying to use Chicago as a comparable to how the Kings are being built.

Sorry if I just don't see it, the product being put on the ice is nothing like what Chicago has put out there. The teams are pretty much the polar opposites when it comes to on ice philosophy.

Chicago won a Stanley Cup last year largely on the backs of players that Dean Lombardi would refer to as "kids"
Are you saying that Chicago is the same team as last year? Clearly they are not, clearly they have struggled, not sure exactly what your point is...

You think the polar opposites comes from coaching, or, management? Think about that one for a while, I know it might be painful, but with the right amount of thinking, I am confident you will attempt to get the right answer, then just go back to the easy "I hate management" repertoire that you have.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
  #22
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 14,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Are you saying that Chicago is the same team as last year? Clearly they are not, clearly they have struggled, not sure exactly what your point is...

You think the polar opposites comes from coaching, or, management? Think about that one for a while, I know it might be painful, but with the right amount of thinking, I am confident you will attempt to get the right answer, then just go back to the easy "I hate management" repertoire that you have.
Who is hiring the coaches?

Again for the 100000000000000th time. Dean Lombardi knew exactly what he was getting when he hired Terry Murray and changed the on ice philosophy of the team following the Crawford era.

The Kings are clearly designed and coached to win games 2-1, if you don't think Lombardi endorses the defensive dead puck style just as much as Murray I have some ocean front property in Arkansas for you.

As for Chicago, ocne they made the permanent switch from Turco to Crawford they have been one of if not the best team in the Western Conf. And any team that features the star power they have is going to be a contender in the playoffs.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
  #23
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Who is hiring the coaches?

Again for the 100000000000000th time. Dean Lombardi knew exactly what he was getting when he hired Terry Murray and changed the on ice philosophy of the team following the Crawford era.

The Kings are clearly designed and coached to win games 2-1, if you don't think Lombardi endorses the defensive dead puck style just as much as Murray I have some ocean front property in Arkansas for you.

As for Chicago, ocne they made the permanent switch from Turco to Crawford they have been one of if not the best team in the Western Conf. And any team that features the star power they have is going to be a contender in the playoffs.
LOL defensive style is not a dead puck or current style bud, if you can't play defense, you simply won't play in the league, but to each his own I guess, you must be a great fan of the AHL, right?

Anyways on to Chicago, again, they are not the same team as last year, they are fighting for a playoff spot as well, they are a bad stretch away from dipping down into 12th, but hey, they are one of the best teams in the Western Conference, right??

Anyway you put it, you simply can not say the Hawks are the same team this year as they were last, they had to sell off a huge part of last year's team, and it's shown, and now with the Seabrook deal, they are going to have to do more either this off-season or next, but hey, don't let facts get in the way of your "I hate management" shtick.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
  #24
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Nothing very revealing, as he's been using the same tired old line over the past few years about them still being young and learning to be winners.

He says it took Chicago eight years to win a Cup. The Hawks won the Cup in 2010, so he's claiming that the Hawks rebuild started in 2002, but that is simply false. The management group that put together that Hawks team took over in 2005, led by Dale Tallon.

The first player Tallon and his group drafted was Jack Skille at the 2005 draft. In 2006, they drafted Jonathan Toews, their franchise center, at 3rd overall, and in 2007 they selected their franchise winger, Patrick Kane, first overall. In 2008-09, the Blackhawks reached the Conference Finals, losing to the Detroit Red Wings. One year later, they won the Stanley Cup.

Lombardi's claim that it took the Hawks eight years of rebuilding is bullsh!t. They had a good fortune of finding talent in the later rounds (Byfuglien, Brouwer, Dowell, Wisniewski, Hjarlmarsson). Yes, they were a bad team throughout those years, but they quickly turned their fortunes around thanks largely in part to Toews and Kane. Once those two were drafted, they became one of the best teams in the Western Conference rather quickly. It didn't take those two players eight years to learn to become winners.
I'm getting tired of hearing about the "kids" too, but Lombardi was obviously referring to the drafting of Duncan Kieth as the starting of the rebuild.

Chicago Drafting 02-05:
2002
Keith
Matt Ellison (Became Patrick Sharp)

2003
Byfuglien
Seabrook

2004
Bolland

2005
Hjalmarsson

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:50 PM
  #25
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,783
vCash: 500
Do none of you bother to look at stats? The difference between the Kings and a top-10 offense in the NHL is a grand total of 11 goals. 11... not a hundred not a thousand... 11. That's the point of Penner. Who, if he'd been on the team a whole season, would have increased our total by at least 11 goals. On paper, using basic descriptive stats, we've a top-10 offense.

While, once again, having the 4th best defense in the league.

Who gives a **** about Chicago? If you want to actually put some thought into it the team we're most like, in terms of play, isn't Chicago or the Flyers or the Pens, it's the Canucks. Both teams play defense as 5 men, both teams use transition but would rather puck control and grind, and both teams have good special teams.

Difference is, and yes it's true so don't keep panicking, is that we really are the youngest team in the NHL. So you're going to have to deal with that. Most of the best players on the team wouldn't even be a 1 out of college!

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.