HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-0-1 on the Road? Wooooo

Old
03-07-2011, 05:59 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

vCash: 500
Good:

- Enroth did was he had to do, and came up with a few monster saves in the process.
- Sekera, Montador, and Myers were all solid.
- 8th Place
- Vanek, although all seems to be quiet on the goal front he is playing very solid and a bunch of the goals on this road trip probably would not have happened without him.
- Stafford beast-mode-ing OT.
- 3-0-1 on the road trip.

Bad:

- Flyers doing us no favors by rolling over in NY.
- Ennis' Injury, Kaleta's Injury, Grier' Injury, Hecht's Injury. The bug is biting us at the worst time.
- Why is Weber still benched?!

Ugly:

- The Wild's jerseys? idunno this weekend was pretty great.

Last edited by barnell: 03-07-2011 at 06:11 AM.
barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Cuse44

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymag77 View Post
Are you a Canes fan? Only way this makes sense to me. Morrisonn has been awful lately, constantly making poor decisions, taking bad penalties, giving up chances. He's a weak link in an otherwise smart, versatile defensive group.
Not at all...I must be because I disagree with you and live in Raleigh. Butler has been tentative and prone to the absolute worst giveaways that most peewees wouldn't make. You just described Butler to a tee up until his recent stretch of 3 or 4 games which to me is not reason to keep him in the lineup over a much more physical Morrison.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:14 AM
ADoubleD

I was working during the game last night, but managed to catch a good amount of it here and there.

G:

-Stafford's OT goal. Not sure if Drew would've made that play last year going to the net like he did. Since Staff's goal reminded many of Pommer's OT series winning goal against the Sens in 06, here's to hoping that these guys can create some new fond playoff memories for us this year.

-After Nieds's goal I heard RJ say that the whole Sabres bench was cheering him on. Maybe it's just me but that's something I like to here. Nieds has been in the league for awhile, and while he's never exactly been known for his offense I can only imagine not scoring up until now has been bugging him. Good to see him get his first and good to see the team support him like that. To me that shows that they're a tight group as a team, and that's something that can go a long way towards helping them win games, and I think were seeing some of that now.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:52 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse44 View Post
Not at all...I must be because I disagree with you and live in Raleigh. Butler has been tentative and prone to the absolute worst giveaways that most peewees wouldn't make. You just described Butler to a tee up until his recent stretch of 3 or 4 games which to me is not reason to keep him in the lineup over a much more physical Morrison.
That's funny, because I think Morrisonn is much less physical than advertised and that Weber is much more physical than him.

That said, they've both taken bad penalties, made dumb passes and took themselves out of plays a few times to make a hit.

I'd rather see Weber play because I think he's just a little bit meaner and he's younger, so I have a little more hope that his play will improve.

Hopefully Lindy unleashes him in Pitt, where he is definitely not well-liked.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Cuse44

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
That's funny, because I think Morrisonn is much less physical than advertised and that Weber is much more physical than him.

That said, they've both taken bad penalties, made dumb passes and took themselves out of plays a few times to make a hit.

I'd rather see Weber play because I think he's just a little bit meaner and he's younger, so I have a little more hope that his play will improve.

Hopefully Lindy unleashes him in Pitt, where he is definitely not well-liked.
I, also, would like to see Weber in the lineup but over Butler and not Morrison. Butler, until recently, didn't look like he even belonged in the Isalnders top 6.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:01 AM
MayDay

Forgot to add:

It wasn't a shootout, but Enroth kept his streak alive in a way. His first 4 NHL victories have now all happened after 60 minutes.

He'll win a regulation game someday.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:19 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
To the good:

Poms scored two huge goals this weekend by doing something he'd never do last year... drive the far post hard. His cutting inside on Hartnell on Saturday was a thing of beauty and should dispel all myths that he's soft.

They are, as a group, attacking the net with purpose and have their transition game working beautifully. Boyes has helped solidify the top two lines making it easier for them to sustain pressure which opens up the ice for everyone.

To the fantastic:

Vanek on the forecheck, well, frankly, in all phases of the ice since getting that letter on his sweater. Stay healthy Thomas and we'll make noise in April.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
From the wild thread:

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:27 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
From the wild thread:

Awesome. Someone shop Drew's head on this:

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Awesome. Someone shop Drew's head on this:

That never gets old. Another win. Another two points. I'm starting to cook the crow that I will be eating. Congrats guys.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Good:
That play by Stafford was awesome. I love to see him drive the net with both power and finesse.
Nieds truly did have a pretty good game - even aside from his FIRST goal of the year!
Sekera continues to be dangerously good
Enroth was sharp - and got the win without having to go to a SO
Sabres' win proves how overrated FO% stats are

Bad:
injuries piling up?

Ugly:
Those Xmas tree unis are horrid
I know you're not a believer in the importance of faceoffs. But come on... you're actually going to argue one game proves something?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:11 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Props to Chain for first suggesting pairing Sekera with a more stay-at-home partner to allow him more freedom to roam offensively. Prescient call which has exceeded all of our wildest expectations.
I would hardly call Monty a stay at home dman. He joins the attack quite frequently and its not uncommon to see him down below the other teams goal line.

These two (Monty/Sekera) had good chemistry last year as well.

Sekera' agressiveness may have more to do with his confidence in his partner than his partner's style of play.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Reacher Gilt

They look good now, but I'm a little bit worried about or PK without Grier and Hecht.

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I know you're not a believer in the importance of faceoffs. But come on... you're actually going to argue one game proves something?
On Saturday, the Sabres beat the Flyers despite giving up a powerplay goal and a shorthanded goal, and not doing anything on their own PPs, including a long 5-on-3. This game proves that special teams are overrated.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
To the good:

Poms scored two huge goals this weekend by doing something he'd never do last year... drive the far post hard. His cutting inside on Hartnell on Saturday was a thing of beauty and should dispel all myths that he's soft.
This is what I wanted to touch on. Both Pommer goals were a product of something he isn't known to do. Not sure if it was just 2 lucky plays, or if he's trending towards a hungrier kind of goal scorer. Regardless, him attacking the net and getting to the far post is a welcomed site for me.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
This is what I wanted to touch on. Both Pommer goals were a product of something he isn't known to do. Not sure if it was just 2 lucky plays, or if he's trending towards a hungrier kind of goal scorer. Regardless, him attacking the net and getting to the far post is a welcomed site for me.
+1

Getting tired of seeing Morrisssonnnn's brain farts. If he doesn't know the pro game by now, he never will.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
He scored a lot of goals like that with Briere in 06-07. Playing with Vanek, he again has a player of that caliber to get him the puck while drawing defenders away (or at least their attention).

I'm a fan of Ruff but I've always thought it odd that these two have never really played together before Roy went down.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
It's definitely been a rare sight these last few years, and I'd love to see more of it too.

Especially if it replaces that damn slapper from just inside the blueline.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Of course not. I'm just doing what everyone else does in GBU threads -- they comment on how we won or lost in large part because of how we performed at the dot.

I'm not saying FO% is completely meaningless, but it is completely over-hyped around here. Passing, board work, good dump-ins and back-checking are, IMHO, more important aspects of puck possession.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse44 View Post
Good:
-Lalime looks happy picking splinters and being a cheerleader.
Sorry, but isn't this a good thing? I mean unless you're just talking about it being ugly that he's still on the team, but this is how we want him to react. A combination of his talent eroding, the team playing terribly in front of him his whole time here, and the coach obviously losing confidence in him has led to this situation. I'm sure he gives it his all every time he's played and I'm glad he's accepted how things are with class and being a good teammate.

It's not like he's getting paid $5 mill or something.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Exactly the type of goal that Poms used to score with Briere

EDIT: I just noticed that JJ made the same comment above. great minds . . . .

Old
03-07-2011, 02:20 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Of course not. I'm just doing what everyone else does in GBU threads -- they comment on how we won or lost in large part because of how we performed at the dot.

I'm not saying FO% is completely meaningless, but it is completely over-hyped around here. Passing, board work, good dump-ins and back-checking are, IMHO, more important aspects of puck possession.
Here's an interesting statistical look at how important faceoffs are:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/faceoff.html

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:30 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

There's a flaw in their analysis, but I think it generally supports what I've been saying. FO% is a factor, but not as big as people say. Also, neutral zone and offensive zone FO's basically don't matter. So, when we look at the FO% of the team or a particular player for the entire night, it's not particularly instructive. Obviously (and as I've conceded many times), specific FO's are very important -- such as in your own zone on a PK situation, and it's nice to have at least one very good FO man. It's much less important that all of your centers be very good at FO's, since most of them don't matter that much.

The flaw in the analysis is the conclusion that upgrading from a 50% FO guy to a 60% FO guy will result in 3-4 extra wins in a season. This is flawed because (1) you can't guarantee that the 60% guy will take all of your critical FO's (which they assume), (2) there are only about 3 guys in the league who have FO% near 60%, and (3) most importantly, the 60% guy needs to be the equal of the 50% center in all other aspects of the game. In other words, replacing a 60-point, 50% center with a 30-point 60% center will not improve the team (not to mention their defensive play).

Old
03-07-2011, 02:30 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

I've been one that likes to point out how important defensive zone faceoffs are, but this stat is still astounding to me:

Quote:
In fact, more than 10% of all the goals in the NHL during the 2003-04 season were allowed within 20 seconds of a team losing a face-off in its own defensive zone.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
There's a flaw in their analysis, but I think it generally supports what I've been saying. FO% is a factor, but not as big as people say. Also, neutral zone and offensive zone FO's basically don't matter. So, when we look at the FO% of the team or a particular player for the entire night, it's not particularly instructive. Obviously (and as I've conceded many times), specific FO's are very important -- such as in your own zone on a PK situation, and it's nice to have at least one very good FO man. It's much less important that all of your centers be very good at FO's, since most of them don't matter that much.

The flaw in the analysis is the conclusion that upgrading from a 50% FO guy to a 60% FO guy will result in 3-4 extra wins in a season. This is flawed because (1) you can't guarantee that the 60% guy will take all of your critical FO's (which they assume), (2) there are only about 3 guys in the league who have FO% near 60%, and (3) most importantly, the 60% guy needs to be the equal of the 50% center in all other aspects of the game. In other words, replacing a 60-point, 50% center with a 30-point 60% center will not improve the team (not to mention their defensive play).
Offensive zone faceoffs are just as important as defensive zone faceoffs...unless you somehow assign more value to preventing goals than scoring them.

Winning offensive zone faceoffs is as beneficial to attempting to score as losing defensive zone draws is detrimental to preventing them.

It's a big reason why Gaustad was put back onto the 2nd power play unit.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote